• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Something I will never understand. ;_;

The garden is best in space and guarded by giant robuts.

We're going to keep badgering you about it. You will submit. They all do.

I dunno. I can drag it out now that I have a whole new list of other shows from AnimeGAF to watch.

1. We just said Tutu isn't really much of a magical girl show.

2. I also enjoyed that subtle breast size joke.

Yeah but

cajunator

Banned
And still the best of that genre, make no mistake.

Quite possibly. Its hard to top.

It's still very much a moe show, before people knew to hate moe shows.

Little did I know the great things it would lead to :D

Pupa 1

I watched this while eating dinner.

Same here. What were you eating? I had some leftover cinnamon apples.

This gives me hope for Azumanga then!

And so it should. Its great.

Pupa 1

Amazing. 10/10. Best anime of the season. Anime is saved. I laughed. I cried.

jk the 4 minute format sucks. I've seen more happen in a commercial than in this. Onii-san! Dog attack! Monster. The end.

Mahou Sensou 1

Interesting enough show, though why I needed another magical high school kids who go to magical school show is beyond me. And beyond the boundary,

On the positive side the main character is not a bumbling idiot, can already put up a fight, and when he does shit with women he doesn't trip on his tongue or get all embarassed. That's a plus.

On a negative I don't like anybody else right now. They look like Fate Stay Night rejects. The blonde girl's boobs got bigger. That's funny I guess? I'll keep watching for protag alone. Also the fact they used "Ghost trailer" as a name for a bad group. Does anime just find two words in english, put them together, and make a group out of it? This isn't the first time [Nudist Beach].

When I think of Ghost Trailer I imagine a green movie banner that says "Rated 2. For 2spooky4me"

Strange + 1

What the actual fuck that's a boy? No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Comedy was a bit forced but it managed to put a smile on my face. I'll see if I keep watching after the next episode. But another 3 minute show? Ugh. This is getting ridiculous.

Only two shows I have left for today are Golden Time and Samumenco. Those two get their own impression.

Has anyone seen Bushi Road? If so any good?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, you said the anime is a bad show with poorly done jokes that doesn't live up to the manga, but maybe I got the wrong impression.

I think the show is a poor adaptation of a really, really great manga series. It's still passable on its own but I just think you're doing the source material an injustice by watching only the anime instead. Thats all.

cajunator

Banned
How is Lucky Star overlooked?

It wasnt. It was INSANELY popular. Mostly cause of Haruhi and that dance opening. You still see Lucky Star merchandise everywhere.

Dog and Scissors 1
Well this is weird.

Understatement right there.
Masochist girl is best girl.

Speaking of moe girls doing moe things nonsense. I found this quote from Yuma Takahashi that was in an interview about Hidamari's anime production interesting.

For better or worse, Hidamari may have caused the eruption of all of these recent school life girls shows that people hate for reasons beyond my imagination! None of them are the greatest thing ever like Hidamari but I'm thankful anyway.

Why are you always so right all the time?

That's the thing though. A vast majority of these shows just feel like uninspired clones of Hidamari/Azumanga. Nobody will even remember most of them in a decade or so. Not saying every show needs to be on the level of Hidamari/Azumanga, just that I wish they would...try harder, I guess. So many of them are just lacking the substance that the greats of the genre have.
Incidentally, Ume-sensei made an Azumanga tribute chapter and it's killed me on several occasions.
Yzglx8Q.jpg
Wide Sakaki oahbdguvbajefgbgggggg.

Firemind

I think the show is a poor adaptation of a really, really great manga series. It's still passable on its own but I just think you're doing the source material an injustice by watching only the anime instead. Thats all.

Fair enough. I wonder if the manga has the energy of the anime though, especially when it comes to Tomo, Kagura and Yukari.

cajunator

Banned
Add GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class to the list. Now that is a genuinely overlooked sol title.

Ive been wanting to check out that and Sketchbook. I like these comic/manga animes ever since Comic Party.

Just did the first draft of my top ten anime. Sort of iffy on Love Lab, I enjoy the show but not a big fan of the ending.

My top 5 are:

Silver Spoon
Non Non Biyori
Girls Und Panzer
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Love Lab

Youve chosen well!

Jesus a lot came out today. Including old favorites. I'll probably info dump the impressions into one post.

Before I do that though, what are the first impressions on Pupa? Not sure if I should watch or not, but if the first impressions are good I'll start now. If not I'll wait and read further week's reviews.

Pupa is very short but its exactly what you probably think it is.

Kill La Kill 13

I said God DAMN, why wasn't the show this good from the beginning? It's going to be great from here on. Satsuki was awesome. That song from the part with Satsuki's mom.... is that on the soundtrack, does anyone know?

Golden Time 13

Ghost Banri, you idiot. GTFO. Koko is adorable, especially when
she was freaking out before the parade
. Best girl is best girl. Also, why did
Nana punch Banri in the face? Was she just being Nana?

Hozuki no Reitetsu 01

This one was pretty funny, but in a bit of a subtle way. Will watch again.

cajunator

Banned
Strange+ Episode 1
tumblr_mz5nljFY3M1qhrk6co5_250.gif

He is hilarious, and then Masumune and Kou just falling victim to each trap. Monthly Comic Zero Sum never fails to have some funny shoujo~ish manga, glad this got an anime.

ok I laughed for several minutes at that gif.

Good thing it's getting an OVA where they go on a graduation trip to New York, then!

Yessssssssss

Golden Time 13

See, I told you all this two months ago. Ghost Banri is the main antagonist, and well deserving of getting punched in the face were he not completely incorporeal. He's like Kyubey only with less manipulation and more crybaby temper tantrums.

Meanwhile Koko is still the best. True rabu tier for sure.

Was there ever any doubt?
No Koko, no Golden time.

cnet128

Banned
Has anyone seen Bushi Road? If so any good?

I saw that! Posted impressions earlier in the thread. Had mixed feelings on it, but it was certainly worth a watch.

Fair enough. I wonder if the manga has the energy of the anime though, especially when it comes to Tomo, Kagura and Yukari.

As someone who's read the Azumanga Daioh manga and only seen little bits and pieces of the anime, the anime just struck me as kind of superfluous because it took the same jokes and slowed them down, ruining their quickfire yonkoma pacing.

cajunator

Banned
The only thing you proved is that you're a prick.

If you want to disagree with my point then go do that. But you constantly insult other users with your obnoxious and rude analogies to random shit that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread or the discussion at hand and only do so to belittle other users or to provoke them.

Dont worry about him darkside. Its not worth it.

But magical giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirls

Its noooooot!
Give it a chance Corvy. Its nowhere near magicalv girl style. It just has a girl in it who magically transforms for an entirely different reason than the norm. Its more like Black Swan than any magical girl show youve ever heard of.

Incidentally, Ume-sensei made an Azumanga tribute chapter and it's killed me on several occasions.

Wide Sakaki oahbdguvbajefgbgggggg.

Ohhhh my GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
UME GODDESS

CorvoSol

I'm not a huge fan of yuri anime, but every once in awhile a good one rolls out that matches my tastes.

Just watched the first part of Golden Laws. What even. I mean come on. The last two movies, sure. I mean no, alien invasion, but sure. This time though, come oooon.

Golden Time 13

Oh Koko. Best girl being main girl is so rare. You make this anime worth it with your borderline yandere and obsessive girlfriend sweetness.

Banri is an ok protagonist when fucking Ghost Banri is kept the fuck away.

But you can't give me that can you anime? I can't just have these two being happy for the rest of the show. Oh no. Instead you have to introduce the douchiest fucking plot device in a stupid ghost. Fuck Ghost Banri. Where's a priest when you need one.

Nafe

Happy Belated Birthday to BluWacky.

Since episode 11.5 of Hyouka came out in 2013 that means I can vote for the show again as far as AOTY right? ;p

ftPkIFvl.jpg

Well, at least she was there for a second.

With the plot point of her moving away at least for a little while I hoped she would at least show up in the second season. Hopefully the first episode isn't her only appearance. :(

As much as I want to say Heroic Age because it's my secret guilty pleasure sci-fi series, I know you'll porbably hate and I'll feel sad. Plus it has Hirai face everywhere.

Big fan of Heroic Age huh? I personally haven't seen many people mention the show and it seems when most people bring it up they are either mentioning about Hirai's designs or it's more of a "oh, I've seen that show" kind of response.

I've watched it and that was kind of my opinion of it. There were some things I liked but overall I think I felt it was average or okay. I might give it another watch sometime in the future. I actually became aware of it after looking up what shows Hirai had worked on after watching most of Gundam SEED and Fafner.

MAL has best taste. Let's start using Japanese names for all anime!

You are now 火の鷹.

Mikakunin 1

There's like two people in here who will get this, but whatever.

Captain America "I understood that reference".gif

If I didn't decide to take a look at Wizard last year and just carried on then it's true that I would have no idea who that was. If it wasn't for gaf I also wouldn't be aware of the captain america thing either,haha.

Maoyu 1
God I love the Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated style backgrounds.
More shows need to use that technique, gives it so much more character than traditional backgrounds.
Other than that show is pretty interesting, will keep watching.

cajunator

Banned
I saw that! Posted impressions earlier in the thread. Had mixed feelings on it, but it was certainly worth a watch.

As someone who's read the Azumanga Daioh manga and only seen little bits and pieces of the anime, the anime just struck me as kind of superfluous because it took the same jokes and slowed them down, ruining their quickfire yonkoma pacing.

While true they slowed the pacing down (I only have one volume of the manga as reference) the subbed version seemed alright. The DVDs originally came with little booklets to further explain all the injokes and nuances so very little was lost in the translation. The dub definitely changed some things.

Golden Time 13

Oh Koko. Best girl being main girl is so rare. You make this anime worth it with your borderline yandere and obsessive girlfriend sweetness.

Banri is an ok protagonist when fucking Ghost Banri is kept the fuck away.

But you can't give me that can you anime? I can't just have these two being happy for the rest of the show. Oh no. Instead you have to introduce the douchiest fucking plot device in a stupid ghost. Fuck Ghost Banri. Where's a priest when you need one.

Koko is the best kind of jealous yandere but I dont think she'd actually kill. then again she might lol. Ghost Banri is fucking terrible.

Pupa 1

Opening & Ending: Lame.
That song that played during the transform scene: Good. Use it often.

Why was that scene censored?!?

Are they going to censor the sister eating the brother as well?

That's the only reason I even decided to watch this show!

Branduil

Do we know if Pupa was planned to be 4 minutes per episode from the start?

Between the delays and the short length I can't help but feel they had something more ambitious planned that they were unable to follow through on.

sonicmj1

The manga of Azumanga is worth reading too, since it has jokes and scenes not in the anime, but Yotsuba& is Azuma's really masterpiece. Too bad it will never get an anime :(

When I picked up some volumes of Yotsuba& for plane reading, I wasn't prepared at all for just how excellent it was. I should keep reading it.

The Azumanga Daioh manga and anime are both awesome.

Killa la Kill Episode 13

Wherever this is going its going in the right places. One of the most wholly entertaining and enjoyable episodes and I finally laughed at some of its ridiculousness, thanks to Nagita for much of it
bah if he didnt have to go away, ingenious shocking surprise though
, and then the usual Mataro antics, and then slightly some times Mako too just being inserted into the assembly lines.

Hyped for Uzu's new Goku Uniform, and that was nekkid driving in the preview?

cajunator

Banned
I fucking hate Ghost Banri. It's a stupid plot element that has had just about zero impact on the plot at this point.

It was a really bad idea from the beginning.
I was hoping it would go away and we would just see a sweet relationship with Koko.
right now its just more fun watching her slap around Banri because he fully deserves it.

Pupa 01

Welp.

XGyLNQh.gif

Nah, just kidding. After Saya no Uta, I doubt this can hurt me.

After Saya no Uta I can watch nearly anything anime can dish out.

Pupa 1

Opening & Ending: Lame.
That song that played during the transform scene: Good. Use it often.

Why was that scene censored?!?

Are they going to censor the sister eating the brother as well?

That's the only reason I even decided to watch this show!

So true. I mean people watching know what theyre getting. they want to see the disturbing fucked up everything the show has to offer.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 12

The weakest aspect is still the OP song as I think its on the same level as the first, I just cant get into it. Curious what the final animation will be for it. Date Time is the better ED song but this one now is still entertaining, whoever is doing the instrumental stuff behind it deserves some kudos.

End episode everyone dining for curry at Masayoshi's was hilarious somewhat. They can all be wanting to do their own thing in battle but then still willing to partake and dine with each other all nicely. I hope they continue to become friends and even a sort of tight knit family.

Mr.Jeff

Happy Belated Birthday to BluWacky
Big fan of Heroic Age huh? I personally haven't seen many people mention the show and it seems when most people bring it up they are either mentioning about Hirai's designs or it's more of a "oh, I've seen that show" kind of response.

I've watched it and that was kind of my opinion of it. There were some things I liked but overall I think I felt it was average or okay. I might give it another watch sometime in the future. I actually became aware of it after looking up what shows Hirai had worked on after watching most of Gundam SEED and Fafner.
Well I must confess that back when it was airing, I dropped Gurren Lagann partway through due to a bout of boredom but Heroic Age was one show I made time to watch each week.

It just struck me as a show with a rather neat ideas for a sci-fi series with a good sense of scale that wasn't traditional mech heavy, had some rather great music in places and wasn't spoiled by having a ridiculous love triangle like every other anime under the sun. Plus it had a decent cheesy soppy ending which hit me just the right way.

The downside would be that you had Hirai faces (and bad female character design), a lot of recycled animation in places and Deineirra being a mostly non-character who just said "Age" wistfully a lot. (Also gave Mikasa from AoT her first role!)

Really, it's mostly a fairly average show but for the lack of boring character melodrama and having a sci-fi series that wasn't (technically) about giant mechs, I still rank it quite highly on my own list!

Samurai Flamenco 12

Old Spice! Sprayed a man on my Samumenco! Now he smells like a leader! And they treat him like oneeeeeeeeeeee

Honestly I couldn't care less about the ridiculous action at this point. I'm watching it for the characters. Everything else I tend to skip over as I just don't care about power rangers parodies.

survivor

Banned
Hozuki no Reitetsu 1

So yeah, this was pretty boring and unfunny. Not a single joke made me even smile, infact outside of characters overreactions I wasn't even sure what the jokes were supposed to be. I'm actually baffled by what it's trying to accomplish. The second half of the episode was just two character sitting in a table talking about animals and pets, so completely dull and uninspired.

I'm gonna see what happens in the second episode. Maybe the anime starts covering more interesting things to talk about or add better funnier characters? Because outside of the nice occasional background shots of Hell, there is nothing else good going on for the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom