• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Samurai Flamenco 12

DKua721.png

K3oMmmb.png

Not a fan of the new OP/ED. Pretty silly how much they're pulling from that single episode. Paper doll motif is pretty ugly.

Feels like they're writing themselves into a weird corner where there's a million things to keep track of now and episodes can only go for so long. Like the only reason sumi and masayoshi haven't talked (and had him skip out on their meeting) was because they only had enough time for the scene between him and goto. Not sure where they're going next, but it makes sense they'd have at least one 'regular' episode of the Flamengers together.

Crocodile

Sailor Moon 201X is now...

SAILOR MOON 2014. July 2014, to be exact.

Directed by Munehisa Sakai, who is unquestionably Toei's current best mahou shoujo talent (because let's face it, Rie Matsumoto isn't going to be allowed out of her cage for a looooong time now.)

It's real.

I'll believe it when I'm watching it subbed on my computer and not a SECOND before :/

ZX IGNITION - 01

Very confusing first episode ... they made a very weird INFODUMP but even after that most of the thing are not that explainined

Still watching but damn they need to explain some stuff fast.

Hozuki no Reitetsu 01

Well that was something. I feel like I would prefer reading the manga more of this than watching the anime.

Normally I would watch it but Thursdays are so packed as it is...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is my personal opinion that this thread needs about 10000% more Johnny-sensei.

he's always going to be a woefully underloved character but at least I can momentarily catch some people's attention with some Johnny sakuga.

0d16ef24a7a4f88289e904gprs.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sailor Moon 201X is now...

SAILOR MOON 2014. July 2014, to be exact.

Directed by Munehisa Sakai, who is unquestionably Toei's current best mahou shoujo talent (because let's face it, Rie Matsumoto isn't going to be allowed out of her cage for a looooong time now.)

It's real.

So is this a remake? Of the entire series? I watched all of S1 and then stopped there.

Should I just wait for the remake or should I pick the series again . _.

Jarmel

Banned
Magical Warfare-1

This is LN trope shit of the highest order. I could count like six tropes in the span of a minute.

-Girl magically falling out a closet
-Girl mistakes character for relative
-Girl gets annoyed at guy for her own mistake and gets angry
-Girl pulls out magical gun that very few people, such as the MC, can see
-Girl collapses again and accidentally almost kisses guy
-Girl gets embarrassed and shoots gun off
-Girl has issues with brother, sibling rivalry bullshit
-Brother has amnesia
-Guy randomly discovering he has magical abilities and knowing how to use it right off the bat.

There also some random bullshit like a bamboo sword deflecting a real steel sword. The explanation for how people become magicians is also some garbage.

This is some terribad shit. I almost want to watch it to see how absolutely terrible it can get. But I won't. Dropped.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 26

You really need to be careful when naming your character "Sakura" since that's such a hard name to live up to. I like that theatre thing her and her brother do, was mildly amusing.

Ichigo really has made the gardener dude her personal bitch, hasn't she?

Gazoinks

Pupa 1

Well that was short. Which is a shame, because it did a pretty good job building atmosphere and mystique, but it's hamstrung a bit by the length. Also the monster is kind of goofy-looking.

Aikatsu! 26

You really need to be careful when naming your character "Sakura" since that's such a hard name to live up to. I like that theatre thing her and her brother do, was mildly amusing.

Ichigo really has made the gardener dude her personal bitch, hasn't she?

Who isn't her bitch?

Hattori

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 1
I'm hooked already. The premise is quite interesting and it's genuinely funny. First time I've enjoyed a Manglobe show since Michiko to Hatchin.

CorvoSol

That would be good, cause I can't wait to find out what the hell Satsuki's real motives are in this show. I mean, there has to be a reason she wants all this domination right? She isn't like your "I wanna take over the world villain". It can't only be for the sake of this "pigs in human clothing" deal she's raving on about. She keeps acting as if she's hiding something. Probably the fact that
she's Lordgenome's mother or something and that they just discovered alien life that will later turn out to be the Anti-Spirals and she's going to make the entire world her army so they could possibly stand a chance against them and holy shit why does that make so much sense?

That'd be amazing if true.

I will protest that Utena Lagann is the lead in to Gurren Lagann forever. I'm kinda surprised by the number of people saying they'd lost interest in it here, though. When did that happen? I'm still hype as hell for this show.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Samurai Flamenco 1
I'm hooked already. The premise is quite interesting and it's genuinely funny. First time I've enjoyed a Manglobe show since Michiko to Hatchin.

Run, run while you still have your hopes of a deep and thoughtful show.

Midonin

Neppu Kairiku Bushi Road
Development Hell Tonight

Ah, the other New Year's special. If it hadn't been for Milky Holmes covering the theme song, I would only be vaguely aware of what this is. Bushiroad the company is certainly using mediamix to its fullest potential for all markets, but as for Bushiroad the anime (movie?)...

So a post-apocalyptic vaguely feudal world with robots. It has that "anime" feel to it, and I can appreciate that the protagonist was Ame and her party. The barrier maiden isn't the MacGuffin of the journey, it's about her journey in the first place. My favorite part of the whole thing was probably her quartet of maids voiced by the Milky Holmes girls. I've wanted to support those four in everything they do since I loved Milky Holmes, but one can't get around to all anime. As usual, it must be restricted to late night.

The giant robot action and swordplay was fun to watch, everything was very smoothly animated, if a bit obviously CGI at times, but that goes for any anime these days. Tsukuyomi was some grade-A ham. Japanese voice acting in general can be very exaggerated, and playing the villain even more so. *checks to see who played him* ...the same guy who was Opera Kobayashi? If I ever see more of him in anime form, he could easily match Jun Fukuyama or Mamoru Miyano in scenery chewing.

I don't think
Ame's sacrifice
was for naught. It was kind of vague if it even really was that, since nothing was shown in the brief epilogue. She had lost basically everything, and got the world she wanted in the end. It's poetic, in a sense.

I do like the single. Liked it since I heard Holmes cover it. Catchy song.

Final Thoughts: I was mostly in it for the servants (Soramaru! Mimorin! You guys rock!). Ame's story was a decent hero's journey type thing, the action was good. It was at least above average.

Should I watch Bushi Road if I hate shitty endings? I have a feeling about what the ending is but I'm somebody that can be soured quite a lot over a bad ending.

Aka

Mass Effect series

Nanoha dvd sets on ebay!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141160449396

ok so it costs more than an xbone

Good lord at that price.

That reminds me. When I saw Nanoha for the first time, I thought to myself, "wow, that was the exact opposite of Madoka
in terms of tone
". I know they were both made by the same director, but after watching the last scene of Nanoha's first season, seeing Madoka's ending now makes me think Urobuchi took one look at Nanoha and said: "NO. NO I REJECT THE PREMISE OF THIS." while he wrote Madoka.

I mean, seeing how Madoka is supposed to be a deconstruction of the Mahou Shoujo genre, it's like Nanoha was used as reference on what not to do when writing it.

I feel like I was supposed to have watched Nanoha before watching Madoka. Ah well. Nanoha was still good though.

Oh, and speaking of Nanoha, I kind of skimmed through StrikerS. Since I had no real interest in watching it. I don't know, I feel like the characters in StrikerS grew up way too fast. There really should have been like, a season in between. Going from grade schoolers to full-on adults is just weird. There should at least have been a season with them in their high-school years if the ending of A's was any indication!

That's not to say StrikerS is terrible. I'd probably need to watch it again, but nothing in it seems terribly bad about it. I dunno, I guess it feels like a re-hash in some aspects while it tries to take a slightly darker tone in other aspects.

But like I said, I skimmed through it. My real problem with it is that the sudden season transition from child to adult was way too jarring for me to actually pay attention to anything else that well. It's like waking up from a frozen sleep. Everything's different, but it's not exactly a horrible change. Just takes some getting used to. And I guess I'm one of the people who couldn't get used to it very well. Maybe the third movie Reflection will try and establish a good mid-point as it supposedly takes place before StrikerS and after A's.

Or even better, have it be a time-travel movie where Modern Nanoha meets up with Classic Nanoha. Nanoha Generations. That should be the real title.

I will protest that Utena Lagann is the lead in to Gurren Lagann forever. I'm kinda surprised by the number of people saying they'd lost interest in it here, though. When did that happen? I'm still hype as hell for this show.

Eh, some people were probably expecting a show that was really similar to Gurren Lagann in terms of EVERYTHING and not just its hot-bloodedness. While it certainly has in common Gurren Lagann's hotblooded action, everything else on the other hand is pretty different from TTGL. There isn't a real sense of adventure, we're seeing a lot more of the "villains"(Satsuki is hiding a noble goal somewhere under that emotional mask I just know it) than the heroes, and Ryuko sure ain't no Simon in terms of character development etc. But regardless, I'm enjoying what the show has to offer.

I like the fact that more questions are being raised than answers so far, it gives me hype for a big reveal on just what the hell is going on in the world these characters live in.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why is Crunchyroll's player so unstable? Seems like it crashes at least once per episode of a series and I need to reload the page.

OceanBlue

I think that if Corvo hates Hyouka.

Everybody will turn on him.

It's really too early for me to say this, but maybe it's just too far from his type of show. In the end, anime is just entertainment. If Corvo is struggling to even get to episode 5, it wouldn't be a big deal if he just put it on hold and watched it when he had nothing else to watch or something.

I think that if Corvo hates Hyouka.

Everybody will turn on him.

If he drops Hyouka, that increases his chances of picking up Kino's Journey. Which deserves to be watched more. There aren't nearly enough people posting impressions of it in here.

Why is Crunchyroll's player so unstable? Seems like it crashes at least once per episode of a series and I need to reload the page.

Tell me about it. I had to go through while watching Hunter X Hunter tons of times since all of my experiences from that show came from there.

zeroshiki

Corvo, I know this may sound hollow but try your best to make it up to the film arc. If its still boring for you by then, you can safely drop it. Just... give it a chance until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom