• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Corvo, I know this may sound hollow but try your best to make it up to the film arc. If its still boring for you by then, you can safely drop it. Just... give it a chance until then.

Everything up to the film arc is average. Watchable but nothing particularly standout. The festival is pretty good though. I remember it having like a few dumb parts though. The payoff is legit however.

That's three separate recommendations for Kino's Journey. Really need to watch that. But I hear it's depressing or at least dark, so I need to sandwich these shows between happier shows. For example my plan:

Happy show
Texhnolyze
Happy show

Happy show
Ghost Hound
Happy show

Happy show
Casshern Sins
Happy Show (x20)

Quasar

It's really too early for me to say this, but maybe it's just too far from his type of show. In the end, anime is just entertainment. If Corvo is struggling to even get to episode 5, it wouldn't be a big deal if he just put it on hold and watched it when he had nothing else to watch or something.

Yeah. It just may not be for him. I certainly have a long list of anime thats like that. Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan to name two recent examples.

And given what he's said so far, I'd probably tell him to cut his losses and move on.

Magical Warfare-1

This is LN trope shit of the highest order. I could count like six tropes in the span of a minute.

-Girl magically falling out a closet
-Girl mistakes character for relative
-Girl gets annoyed at guy for her own mistake and gets angry
-Girl pulls out magical gun that very few people, such as the MC, can see
-Girl collapses again and accidentally almost kisses guy
-Girl gets embarrassed and shoots gun off
-Girl has issues with brother, sibling rivalry bullshit
-Brother has amnesia
-Guy randomly discovering he has magical abilities and knowing how to use it right off the bat.

There also some random bullshit like a bamboo sword deflecting a real steel sword. The explanation for how people become magicians is also some garbage.

This is some terribad shit. I almost want to watch it to see how absolutely terrible it can get. But I won't. Dropped.

You've made some mistakes.
First everyone can see the gun. What ordinary people shouldn't see are the flamme effect representing magical energy.

Second brother hasn't amnesia . he is brainwashed.

That's three separate recommendations for Kino's Journey. Really need to watch that. But I hear it's depressing or at least dark, so I need to sandwich these shows between happier shows.

I'll recommend it as well. It's one of my favorites. I don't know if I'd describe it as dark. It's not overly depressing. I'd say it's an objective examination of human nature. But it'll definitely hit you with those feels at some points.

Branduil

That's three separate recommendations for Kino's Journey. Really need to watch that. But I hear it's depressing or at least dark, so I need to sandwich these shows between happier shows. For example my plan:

Happy show
Texhnolyze
Happy show

Happy show
Ghost Hound
Happy show

Happy show
Casshern Sins
Happy Show (x20)

Kino's Journey can get dark but it's more of a detached, bemused darkness most of the time.

CorvoSol

Corvo, I know this may sound hollow but try your best to make it up to the film arc. If its still boring for you by then, you can safely drop it. Just... give it a chance until then.

I've been told to at least wait to the 2nd arc, so I'll do my best with that. The show isn't repulsive to me, it just doesn't really interest me. I get that the idea here will be that Chitanda's interactions with Houtaro will pull him out of his shell, but in the mean time it feels really bland to me. The episode I just watched was a pool episode where the answer to the mystery was so painfully obvious that I couldn't decide if it was less interesting watching three of them try and solve it with enthusiasm or Houtaro continue to zombie his way through things.

I don't hate this show 2 episodes in. I don't anything it. It's like tasting unflavored ice cream or something. I mean, a pool episode right after a "mysteries of the school" is a really, I dunno, "safe" start to the show, you know? It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere with its ideas. It's just doing standard anime scenarios. For a pool episode it wasn't offensive. None of Sword Art Online's hilariously creepy groping happened, for instance. The fan service has been, in fact, kept incredibly modest. To the point of unremarkability. The episode also doesn't do anything to make its pool episode stand out. I'd say the setting was irrelevant to the episode's plot, except that the episode's plot isn't exactly worth talking about, either. There were character interactions that are going places, sure, but all the road signs lead to destinations I have already been, if you take my meaning.

I don't think Hyouka is bad. I just don't think it's anything special. But I'm only 2 episodes in, so I'm not qualified to make anything resembling a final judgment of the show.

11.5 and that one stupid deadly sins episode were not good at all.

Episode 6 had some fun character interactions and foreshadowing.

I've been told to at least wait to the 2nd arc, so I'll do my best with that. The show isn't repulsive to me, it just doesn't really interest me. I get that the idea here will be that Chitanda's interactions with Houtaro will pull him out of his shell, but in the mean time it feels really bland to me. The episode I just watched was a pool episode where the answer to the mystery was so painfully obvious that I couldn't decide if it was less interesting watching three of them try and solve it with enthusiasm or Houtaro continue to zombie his way through things.

I don't hate this show 2 episodes in. I don't anything it. It's like tasting unflavored ice cream or something. I mean, a pool episode right after a "mysteries of the school" is a really, I dunno, "safe" start to the show, you know? It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere with its ideas. It's just doing standard anime scenarios. For a pool episode it wasn't offensive. None of Sword Art Online's hilariously creepy groping happened, for instance. The fan service has been, in fact, kept incredibly modest. To the point of unremarkability. The episode also doesn't do anything to make its pool episode stand out. I'd say the setting was irrelevant to the episode's plot, except that the episode's plot isn't exactly worth talking about, either. There were character interactions that are going places, sure, but all the road signs lead to destinations I have already been, if you take my meaning.

I don't think Hyouka is bad. I just don't think it's anything special. But I'm only 2 episodes in, so I'm not qualified to make anything resembling a final judgment of the show.

Pool episode, what? I think you watched episode 11.5 instead of episode 2.

wonzo

Banned
hyouka16b.jpg

CorvoSol

Well I mean, there was some manner of chemistry between Houtarou and his sister, I guess. I would agree that it rates a .02 on the incestuous subtext meter, but mine's broken since Nisemonogatari.

Pool episode, what? I think you watched episode 11.5 instead of episode 2.

My bad. The episode is labeled "Special #1" which I assume is how it wound up in my queue following episode #2. Contemporary anime has a way of doing that kind of thing.

Branduil

Um are you sure you're watching this show in the right order?

kayos90

Wait.... I'm pretty sure episode 2 was not the pool episode. It should've been the book episode.

Gazoinks

Happy show
Texhnolyze
Happy show

Happy show
Ghost Hound
Happy show

Happy show
Casshern Sins
Happy Show (x20)

Kino's Journey is basically a series of dark pseudo-parables. They're dark, but it's not really tragic or a character drama (for the most part). It's more detached.

kayos90

The episode was entirely throw-away anyway. Is there some need to have seen it after episode 11?

Yes. You would've missed out on a bit of Hotarou's little episode if you didn't watch it after the second arc. It's subtle but noticeable.

Dresden

"In the Kanya Festival, Chitanda and Tomoe share eye contact in a hallway and Chitanda said: "I feel like if I've seen that look before." Hinting that Tomoe's eyes resemble Oreki's."

rip

They read it wrong. It's the eyes that stare at her out of a mirror everyday. For without realizing it, Chitanda had entered an endless recursion of time; the only outsider to intrude upon this recursion was her future self.

wonzo

Banned
They read it wrong. It's the eyes that stare at her out of a mirror everyday. For without realizing it, Chitanda had entered an endless recursion of time; the only outsider to intrude upon this recursion was her future self.
kininari;masu

e: what if its like smutterfly effect where future chitanda's trying to get oreki to pair up with chitanda & satoshi with mayaka so she doesn't get crushed to death by an enraged fat mayaka in the future

"In the Kanya Festival, Chitanda and Tomoe share eye contact in a hallway and Chitanda said: "I feel like if I've seen that look before." Hinting that Tomoe's eyes resemble Oreki's."

rip

Ugh.

I'm cursing at myself for not seeing the Sherlock and Minecraft Holmes similarities. Which just reminded me the new season of Sherlock is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom