• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Any number of Galilei Donna copies above zero sold is too many. Aniplex employees should have to resort to burning them for warmth.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Damn Arpeggio did well for itself. Fun show.

Also will always be happy that Manabi Straight forever has a place in anime history. I really liked that show, really underrated.

Jintor

Oh, one more thing about Yamato 16: at that dramatic finale,
the counterspy should've said "Just doing my job" just like Smiling Git did when he started the whole thing. That would've been good :T

/pedantic callback

If it makes you feel any better they're both massive commercial failures.

Any number of Galilei Donna copies above zero sold is too many. Aniplex employees should have to resort to burning them for warmth.

Pretty much my response.

Knowing that it charted while SamFlam didn't still burns me. Knowing that it flop also meant SamFlam flopped. No, I don't actually feel better.

Dresden

It's a pretty lousy season for sales in general, and KnK bombing this week isn't going to help. Glad that yowapedal did pretty well, though.

Branduil

the tone is off. the dialogue is weirdly translated. you have the replacement of prolific voice actors with a bunch of bozos who don't fit the part.

Well I can't compare it to the original but I don't see how the tone is off. I don't think calling them bozos is fair either.

Soma

Code:
[B]**1,643 *1 Kyousougiga [BD+DVD][/B]

;_;

iMYWDHz5fhvzF.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well I can't compare it to the original but I don't see how the tone is off. I don't think calling them bozos is fair either.
"bozos" is the polite and shortly dismissive term for funimation's stable of texan rejects. not to throw everyone there under the bus but funimation operates in a way that tries to avoid paying actors guild fees.
short scene side by side: dub--sub

it's not even just the quality of the voice actors. even the casting and direction will hone in on something like the boisterous nature of okabe, so the voice actor never hits the racing thought serious side right, and his paranoia comes off as jokes instead of delusions.

Hattori

Banned
Space Dandy 1
I was pretty lukewarm on this but I'm glad to be wrong. It is definitely up my alley in terms of wackiness and humor. QT is awesome :)

Yowamushi Pedal 13

I don't like the new OP and ED as much as I like the 1st ones. What a shame.

Fun episode at least. The comedy still's there, nice to see some focus on the other teams.

Branduil

"bozos" is the polite and shortly dismissive term for funimation's stable of texan rejects. not to throw everyone there under the bus but funimation operates in a way that tries to avoid paying actors guild fees.
short scene side by side: dub--sub

it's not even just the quality of the voice actors. even the casting and direction will hone in on something like the boisterous nature of okabe, so the voice actor never hits the racing thought serious side right, and his paranoia comes off as jokes instead of delusions.

I'm not really seeing a huge difference in tone between these two clips.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 6:
I absolutely loved the shot of
the Yamato emerging from the water
. That was some really iconic stuff. I also continue to really enjoy any explosion aftermath in this show; they just look so awesome.

The crew of the Yamato had to come together a little bit here in order to persevere, even if we didn't see a lot of that. We did get some nice moments, such as the short scene between Okita and Sanada.
I feel bad for Schultz who pretty much loses everything except his life, and is now pretty disgraced despite actually doing a really strong job and thinking outside the box strategically. He deserved better than that.

Defuser

Samurai Flamenco ep 12

My god, it's like I'm watching an episode made by people are who are on crack. Too corny and cheesy even by super sentai standards.

zeroshiki

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 6:
I absolutely loved the shot of
the Yamato emerging from the water
. That was some really iconic stuff. I also continue to really enjoy any explosion aftermath in this show; they just look so awesome.

The crew of the Yamato had to come together a little bit here in order to persevere, even if we didn't see a lot of that. We did get some nice moments, such as the short scene between Okita and Sanada.
I feel bad for Schultz who pretty much loses everything except his life, and is now pretty disgraced despite actually doing a really strong job and thinking outside the box strategically. He deserved better than that.

I thought this would be a good time to ask people who know. Is there ever an explanation WHY the Yamato is so flipping overpowered?
One ship wiped out this entire base like it was nothing

Before embarking on their mission, the events of this episode would have been seen as a massive victory for everyone on Earth and was pretty much all they could realistically hope for.

Branduil

I thought this would be a good time to ask people who know. Is there ever an explanation WHY the Yamato is so flipping overpowered?

Before embarking on their mission, the events of this episode would have been seen as a massive victory for everyone on Earth and was pretty much all they could realistically hope for.

I'm only halfway through the show but I assume it has something to do with the Wave Motion Thingy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Wave motion shields can take a massive beating and don't forget that the ship had to be powered by basically every nation on earth.

zeroshiki

I'm only halfway through the show but I assume it has something to do with the Wave Motion Thingy.

Wave motion shields can take a massive beating and don't forget that the ship had to be powered by basically every nation on earth.

Iscandar gifted them a godbox

I get that the Wave Motion whatchamacallit has infinite energy but does that alone explain how freaking powerful the Yamato is? Why does its bullets suddenly blast through enemy ships when before everything would bounce? Couldn't the enemy realistically pincer them and shoot at them circular firing squad style?

Jintor

The engine appears to power the secondary gunports, so it seems reasonable to assume whatever the WME does, it's powerful enough to penetrate the new armour. Torpedoes and missiles appear to have always been useful against Garmillion ships, I think, given the opening (and I would hypothesise that, given that lasers appeared to be standard UNCF armaments, they'd proven effective against Garmillion ships prior to Pluto - they did defeat them at Mars before).

Regarding pincer movements, between the Wave Motion Shields, and the navigator actually managing to dodge lasers somehow (they're slow-ass lasers), and general stormtrooper marksmanship, I'd say the Yamato is doing okay.

Gazoinks

From the New World 14

Slowish episode, but still some interesting stuff learned.
The Group 1 experiment and Tomiko being effectively immortal. Not sure how I feel about how much Saki is starting to trust Tomiko. Probably won't end well.

Nodame Cantabile Finale 05

pYP82mwl.jpg

Ups and down episode. Happy moments, sad moments, it's a rollercoaster of emotion and fun. The ups were pretty great and I can only imagine everyone will rebound from their downs.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Episode 1

chuunibyou season 2 is everything I could hope for and more, well except for no kissing, but that's in due time.

White Album 2 Eps 1-2

Holy shit. This show is on a whole other level than the first White Album. Just even with the first few minutes of the first ep it was already better than all of White Album 1. And Touma's introduction is probably the most epic introduction in a romance/drama ever.

I sincerely hope this doesn't follow White Album 1/School Days.

Mikakunin 1

Surprisingly decent moe, saw on premise of being same script writer and screenplay as Clannad. Hopefully doesn't go into pure pandering mode at which point it's dropped. But for now, the animation is decent and the premise, while cliched, isn't one that's overused to death.

Also, wait IS2 is really that popular? I watched the 1st season and it was kind of ok but the 2nd season went full fanservice that I couldn't watch it at all. Damn.

Kite

White Album 2 Eps 1-2

Holy shit. This show is on a whole other level than the first White Album. Just even with the first few minutes of the first ep it was already better than all of White Album 1.
As far as I can tell the second season (thankfully) has nothing to do with the first season except for a song or two and is far superior. Just keep watching muhahaa :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom