• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My recollection is that some argue that 11.5 is integral to
how Oreki gets out of his depression after being manipulated by Irisu

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 27

"Hey everybody, here's a completely new and arbitrary rule change that strongly benefits Mizuki. Also she's the one who suggested it. Go!"

Also tickling.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You could argue that. You could also argue that the edited scenes in Fate/Zero episode 11 could be done without as well lol. I'd say the pool situation could've been done without. He could've worked elsewhere! =D

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 13

Good episode, I almost feel like this would've been a better ending to the first half. Status quo gets an actual shake-up, things coming to a head, Ryuko being sent to the low parts of the hero's journey. Yeah.

Jintor

Yamato 16

That was very exciting, but not very well established, I felt.
The Izumo/Yamato plan politics being traceable back to earth should probably have been established far earlier, as should the general possibility of mutiny. I hadn't even SEEN most of the security forces besides Chief Obviously An Asshole and Smiling Counterspy beforehand, so it kinda seemed like the dude just pulled an army out of his asshole. Also, the general logic of 'Obviously this invincible armada which nearly just wiped us the fuck out of space won't just follow us to this new planet and try and wreck us there too' was never brought up, not that the mutiny was very well justified in the first place.

TL;DR Smiling Security Chief is an idiot

zeroshiki

You could argue that. You could also argue that the edited scenes in Fate/Zero episode 11 could be done without as well lol. I'd say the pool situation could've been done without. He could've worked elsewhere! =D

If we're removing stuff from Fate/Zero we should start with the stupidly long and boring episode 1.

Soma

Space Dandy 1

I thought I recognized the singer for the ending of Space Dandy. She also sings the ending for Tatami Galaxy!
The Mawaru Penguindrum OP too. So good.

I wouldn't say integral but it was nice to see some of the 'aftermath' from that arc. The main problem was that the rest of the episode wasn't that interesting.

Dresden

I would count competent visuals and direction as substantially better.

That's sure worked out for them recently.

Yamato 16

That was very exciting, but not very well established, I felt.
The Izumo/Yamato plan politics being traceable back to earth should probably have been established far earlier, as should the general possibility of mutiny. I hadn't even SEEN most of the security forces besides Chief Obviously An Asshole and Smiling Counterspy beforehand, so it kinda seemed like the dude just pulled an army out of his asshole. Also, the general logic of 'Obviously this invincible armada which nearly just wiped us the fuck out of space won't just follow us to this new planet and try and wreck us there too' was never brought up, not that the mutiny was very well justified in the first place.

TL;DR Smiling Security Chief is an idiot

His
tightly closed eyes
was foreshadowing!

There's a fair bit of visual clues and hints that something is brewing, iirc. I thought it worked out well enough, especially given how it unfolded in parallel with the
stuff on the alien planet.

We don't know yet, but it can't be a sequel because the anime ending is final and Naoko Takeuchi almost certainly still has a high degree of creative control over any animation project. My expectation is either a reboot manga adaptation or an entirely self-contained original story with some thematic callbacks to the original, because both allow the new project to be something different while preserving the integrity of the legacy material.

It will adapt the manga from scratch.

Producer Atsutoshi Umezawa (Precure franchise) said in a press release posted on Friday that the new Sailor Moon anime is not a remake. He explained, "This second anime adaptation of Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon is not remaking the previous anime, but adapting [Naoko Takeuchi's] original manga and starting from scratch again. It is quite a project. The entire staff has been working hard to show everyone an entirely new Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon, so please look forward to it."

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama - 21

Oh snap, ninja girl showed up.

Dresden

I've never finished F/Z episode 1.

Or, uh, that one episode where Rin goes around and does things. I was going to get to it sooner or later...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
hyouka 11.5 is one of the most important episodes in the series, immensely increasing the value of both arcs that it bridges.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Or, uh, that one episode where Rin goes around and does things. I was going to get to it sooner or later...

Episode 1 was great!

Also that Rin episode was one of my favorites. It was like its own little OVA and Rin is adorable.

Jintor

His
tightly closed eyes
was foreshadowing!

There's a fair bit of visual clues and hints that something is brewing, iirc. I thought it worked out well enough, especially given how it unfolded in parallel with the
stuff on the alien planet.

I knew something was brewing, and it was definitely ramping up in the last few episodes, but
establishing more of the gruntwork - disaffected security staff, for instance, or philosophical debates amongst the crew about whether the plan would work, or something like that
would've helped a lot.

It unfolded fine though, I liked the execution.

The Rin episode almost made my friends stop watching the show for the day. Thank god it was the only Rin focused episode. They aren't fans of her. And I've already warned them to keep away of the FSN anime. Till Ufotable does Heavens Feel of course.

Dresden

I knew something was brewing, and it was definitely ramping up in the last few episodes, but
establishing more of the gruntwork - disaffected security staff, for instance, or philosophical debates amongst the crew about whether the plan would work, or something like that
would've helped a lot.

All the hubbub about discontent amongst the crew did that for me, at least. I don't think
most of the crew even knows about the Izumo plan through, right? Maybe they'll have an opinion on whether to turn back or not if asked, but I don't think it's a question that comes up at all, given their status and their lack of knowledge regarding certain aspects of the mission.

Yeah but we're talking about combining it with a fun, if really silly time-travel yarn with entertaining character interplay, rather than the bottom dregs of the bankrupt LN industry.

Dunno, given their last few adaptations and how they supposedly changed the material for the worse, I'm not sure if kinari;masu would survive the transition. Imagine how terrible it could be with twice the daddy issues of the original.

Branduil

Fate/Zero's 1st episode is basically them spitting on the show, don't tell rule for an hour.

Only good scenes are the very first one, a couple of the ones with Kariya, and the last one.

Dunno, given their last few adaptations and how they supposedly changed the material for the worse, I'm not sure if kinari;masu would survive the transition. Imagine how terrible it could be with twice the daddy issues of the original.
Let's just say it would be adapted by Takemoto and Gatoh.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 10:
Ippo/Kumi/Mashiba scenes are always hilarious. Next fall's hottest new sitcom. It's also always nice to see all the various heavy hitters meeting up before the fight and preparing to watch it. Ippo's really on edge here.

Quasar

The Rin episode almost made my friends stop watching the show for the day. Thank god it was the only Rin focused episode. They aren't fans of her. And I've already warned them to keep away of the FSN anime. Till Ufotable does Heavens Feel of course.

I don't know what it was but I liked FSN but disliked the one episode of F/Z I tried to watch. From my vague memory, I just didn't care to see the backstory for FSN played out in a full series.

Jintor

All the hubbub about discontent amongst the crew did that for me, at least. I don't think
most of the crew even knows about the Izumo plan through, right? Maybe they'll have an opinion on whether to turn back or not if asked, but I don't think it's a question that comes up at all, given their status and their lack of knowledge regarding certain aspects of the mission.

Right, but
almost all of the discontented crew bar the ringleaders and the engine room guy were no-name grunts that I didn't really care about or know, so I didn't feel it was as solid as all that. I'm pretty sure the Yamato and Izumo plans were widely known - they were discussed at the launch of the ship I think? But either way, I just don't feel like that whole storyline was super well established.
Fun though.

I don't know what it was but I liked FSN but disliked the one episode of F/Z I tried to watch. From my vague memory, I just didn't care to see the backstory for FSN played out in a full series.

You need to see more than just a single episode to appreciate what Fate/Zero is doing. A lot of what makes it work is really invested in the long form, and seeing the arcs of certain characters really come together. Kirei is one of the most fascinating and enjoyable anime characters of recent years.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales
*26,601 *4 Infinite Stratos 2 [DVD+BD]
*11,337 *2 Arpeggio of Blue Steel [BD+DVD]
- - - - - - - - - - - 10K Line - - - - - - - - - - - - -
**8,788 *1 Kill la Kill [DVD+BD]
**8,327 *2 Non Non Biyori [BD]
**6,370 *2 Yowamush Pedal [DVD+BD]
**5,800 *1 Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai [DVD+BD]
**5,394 *1 Kyoukai no Kanata
**3,855 *1 Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season [DVD+BD]
**3,374 *1 White Album 2 [DVD+BD]
**3,010 *1 Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- [BD+DVD]
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line - - - - - - - - - - -
**2,103 *1 Tesagura Bukatsumono [BD+DVD]
**2,056 *1 Yusibu [DVD+BD]
**1,776 *1 Tokyo Ravens [BD+DVD]
**1,770 *1 BlazBlue Alter Memory [DVD+BD]
**1,766 *1 Freezing Vibration [DVD+BD]
**1,643 *1 Kyousougiga [BD+DVD]
**1,560 *1 Outbreak Company [BD+DVD]
**1,534 *1 Walkure Romanze [DVD+BD]
**1,144 *1 Nagi no Asukara [BD+DVD]
**1,098 *1 Golden Time[BD+DVD]
**1,082 *1 Noucome [DVD+BD]
**1,030 *1 Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! [BD+DVD]
***,882 *1 Galilei Donna [BD+DVD]
***,795 *1 Gingitsune [BD+DVD]
***,**0 Samurai Flamenco[DVD+BD]
***,**0 Coppelion [DVD+BD]
***,**0 Megane-bu! [DVD+BD]

Bolded are new ranks from the last update.

Also included are updated numbers of other previous shows.

Source

*Added KLK and KNK

**Also change with NNB numbers until I can verify the DVD sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom