• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Sakura Trick 1

This was such an empty experience that I'm not sure what to make of it. Ostensibly a yuri anime, but the lead couple are stock moe non-characters of the lowest and most bland, homogenized order; formless conglomerations of saccharine childlike traits that just happen also to be maybe-lesbians. It is such that even the lascivious portions are no more erotic than watching a pair of kittens frolic together. I am no expert when it comes to being able to discern what makes a "good" yuri couple or narrative, but in this show the characters' lesbianism is clearly not integral to their identities; it's just vacuous throwaway smut that's too overbearingly kawaii and underwhelmingly safe and vanilla to fulfill even that purpose. I also personally find that the character designs employ an aesthetic that I don't think "works" with yuri, but that's not so much a criticism as it is personal preference. The physical proportions aren't adult enough and every character has the same face.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.

Thats too bad. Good to know I can skip it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Trick Episode 1:

Yea, okay, this is a horribly generic high school slice of life anime with dull moe stereotypes that is being propped up by the fact that this is the first yuri series to be borne, well, since Robot Girl Z. Anyway, I am apparently supposed to be amazed to see so many girls kissing so freely, expect I am not as I have series like Strawberry Panic and Simoun which did this kind of thing and did more interestingly, and Strawberry Panic bored the shit out of me. The fact of the matter is even if the titillation factor was there all I would need would be the opening, that really does fulfill the girl's kissing quota and the now obligatory stupid ass Haruhai dance quota. There is a lot of yuri running through this season and I will take decent subtext over clumsy and exploitative sweeps week empty kissing.

Quasar

Princess and the Pilot - that turned out kinda ok. A bit surprised the duo did not give into their feelings.

Am curious to know how it relates to the new show.

Jintor

Yamato 20

jesus fuck. I though episode 18 was crazy. That was fucking insane.

Ghale Donnel. God damn.

Cleaning up that mess is gonna be crazy.

Snubfighters are awesome.

So the show starts out with the two main characters already conscious of their feelings? That's a shame. According to the MAL synopsis (which cites ANN although ANN seems to have changed their synopsis lol), the school "is slated to be shut down in three years." Are there signs that they're going to develop the two characters around this and their relationship? It sounds like you don't think so :<. I'm not in the mood for a straight 4-koma comedy, so I'll probably pass on it.

One girl definitely knows she likes the other one from the beginning. By the end of ep. 1, the other one seems to return her feelings -- but it's not instant, it takes at least half an episode. And it looks like there are several more yuri couples to go which aren't as far along.

As for the school thing, it was mentioned that the school will be closing in three years, but theat'll be just as they're leaving, so I don't know how relevant it'll be... except that the episode already makes use of an empty classroom multiple times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hate the other extreme where the entire story is just a girl moping around because senpai won't notice her feelings (ugh Sasameki Koto), but that's still preferable to something that's constantly serving the red meat but has no interest in its own characters.
Hey, at least Sasameki Koto ends with a
wedding
. lol

I sort of understand, because a lot of the more mainstream but still "safe" yuri like Otsu or Takamura's works are either too safe, too short, or too banal to make into something that would sell because they are so laser focused on having two characters get over their feelings and do a pseudo-coming out to each other. It gets better when the characters are older, because the concerns are actually more than just "I want to spend time with sempai in the locked classroom", but that stuff is even less likely to get adapted.

In fact, it makes perfect sense that Love My Life was made into a movie instead of an anime because it has a bigger chance of drawing a LGBT audience that way than through a cartoon. I'm not sure an anime audience really wants to see a recently out couple deal with their parents anyway.

Why does Infinite shitos sell so much? I can see now why more and more shows are just in it for the pandering :/
Because people watched all of S1 and know that we need a S3, now, to resolve the cliffhanger ending and complete non-ending "conclusion" S2 had, of course! I'm glad it's selling, the series COULDN'T be left to end like that.

Sakura Trick 1

And one day, Richard was diamonds

There are things... that I noticed, and that I'm not entirely proud of, but
the crotch area is like... pinkish, as a transition of sorts from the hue of their legs.

And for a show that avoids showing panties, it sure is giving angles that would actually show em in a different show. Does anyone actually wear underwear in Sakura Trick?

And there was gratuitous amount of LEGS.
More shows should be like Saki and not have pantsu, but sadly
I'm sure there are panties, it's just censorship to make the show classier by just showing thighs, not underwear... panties are much more fanservicey than girls kissing, bath scenes, or anything of the like you know! (Well, this show doesn't have bath scenes yet, but that OP sure had a lot of nudity in it...)

Hey, at least Sasameki Koto ends with a
wedding
. lol

I sort of understand, because a lot of the more mainstream but still "safe" yuri like Otsu or Takamura's works are either too safe, too short, or too banal to make into something that would sell because they are so laser focused on having two characters get over their feelings and do a pseudo-coming out to each other. It gets better when the characters are older, because the concerns are actually more than just "I want to spend time with sempai in the locked classroom", but that stuff is even less likely to get adapted.

In fact, it makes perfect sense that Love My Life was made into a movie instead of an anime because it has a bigger chance of drawing a LGBT audience that way than through a cartoon. I'm not sure an anime audience really wants to see a recently out couple deal with their parents anyway.
Yeah, TV anime isn't something which would even attempt to address an issue like that, that's for sure. But this show was quite entertaining, and those other kinds of things do exist... just not from TV animes aimed at otakus and airing early in the morning.

More shows should be like Saki and not have pantsu, but sadly
I'm sure there are panties, it's just censorship to make the show classier by just showing thighs, not underwear... panties are much more fanservicey than girls kissing, bath scenes, or anything of the like you know! (Well, this show doesn't have bath scenes yet, but that OP sure had a lot of nudity in it...)

Eh... I wouldn't really go that far. There would be no point. I mean, I guess panties are fanservice-y, but it's starting to become clear to me that it's not really doing much for me.

The classy censorship though.... was probably more enjoyable. Probably helps that classy isn't the standard in terms of fanservice.

Jintor

Probably not one that would buy merch.

I'd watch a Wife and Wife anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So the show starts out with the two main characters already conscious of their feelings? That's a shame. According to the MAL synopsis (which cites ANN although ANN seems to have changed their synopsis lol), the school "is slated to be shut down in three years." Are there signs that they're going to develop the two characters around this and their relationship? It sounds like you don't think so :<. I'm not in the mood for a straight 4-koma comedy, so I'll probably pass on it.

It's one-sided to begin with. The one girl is just sort of rolling with her friend suddenly wanting to kiss her at every opportunity.

I don't dismiss any possibility of character development, but considering that this first episode is preoccupied almost exclusively with the physical dimension of the relationship and, furthermore, that the relationship is depicted in a pretty exploitative way, I have a hard time believing that this story intends to explore the psychology, social implications, etc. of the characters' lesbianism in any satisfying capacity. The initial characterization doesn't even particularly differentiate anyone from each other and the ensemble, mains included, feels perfectly interchangeable with any number of manufactured bottom-feeder CGDCT casts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, one of the best things about Sakura Trick is that it is NOT about subtext. It's about girls kissing. They kiss, then they tease the one they like, or kiss some more, or do impressive spinning leaps through the air together, get jealous because the girl they like is near another girl... and then kiss more.]

Sure, the characters are moe stereotypes, but darnit, that episode was great! It's an AOTY list candidate already. It's not #1 of course -- right now that's Saki S2 -- but if it keeps this up it'll be on the list somewhere.
Who cares if the show is about lesbians if they don't act like lesbians except for the sex?

You should just watch Marimite even if that one isn't about lesbians (except one arc).

Well, it's like yaoi/shounen-ai where the texts live in a bubble where this particular relationship is the most important thing in the world and the concerns about the real world aren't really addressed in any meaningful way.

Not that high school yuri gets all that complicated, but pages like this seem to be the big concern for most of those types of stories.
U2mJMC8.png

The best bit about Sasameki Koto is that you go through the cycle once, and then you go through the cycle again from other other person's POV because she thought they'd given up on them!
The flip side is that you have something like Aoi Hana, which just delays the inevitable by not having the characters around at all. To the point where they have to be mashed together because the book ended unexpectedly.
Probably not one that would buy merch.

I'd watch a Wife and Wife anime.
I'd watch an Ohana Holoholo, considering that Bunny Drop got made. But I'm not sure if women would be interested in watching a show about alternate family arrangements that doesn't involve a cute guy as the lead.

Yeah, TV anime isn't something which would even attempt to address an issue like that, that's for sure. But this show was quite entertaining, and those other kinds of things do exist... just not from TV animes aimed at otakus and airing early in the morning.
Sure, it's why I can't be too disappointed. But the arc from Aoi Hana to where we are now is kind of silly to watch.

At least on the yaoi side, there was that 2 seasons of World's First Love. :p
But yaoi has its own set of problems, really.

Jintor

Yamato 21

Whoops stowaways.

I still don't get the relationship of the princess and Mori but I'm sure that's intentional

/edit I KNEW IT

Jintor

Space Intrigue Yamato 22

It's hilarious that Goer has survived this long

omg, we needed this relief. Omg the wacky daily life of the space battleship yamato!

/edit they really kinda brushed over the thing at the beginning though. A pity.

Golden Time - 13

The new OP is annoying, except for the part with Koko going up the stairs with the music, which is adorable. New ED I actually like better than the original.

As for the episode, Koko is insane xD Her jitters were great. Was nice to see the result though.

Koko's cooking was predictable but fun to see. I don't mind all the ghost stuff, I love Linda as well, but prefer Koko.

Banri hesitated at the end, wonder what that was all about.

sonicmj1

Space Intrigue Yamato 22

It's hilarious that Goer has survived this long

omg, we needed this relief. Omg the wacky daily life of the space battleship yamato!

/edit they really kinda brushed over the thing at the beginning though. A pity.

I kinda like how they rolled through all the beginning stuff in two minutes. It's a lot of important information, but they had a lot to do. Kodai's development already feels like it could have used more time to breathe.

Jintor

I kinda like how they rolled through all the beginning stuff in two minutes. It's a lot of important information, but they had a lot to do. Kodai's development already feels like it could have used more time to breathe.

I'm amazed Yamato manages to feel as complete as it does, because the pacing is breakneck and it rarely pauses to breath, especially in the last few episodes. But, damn, it's so fucking good.

There is a lot that could benefit from being more drawn out though, especially on the char development front. But hey, whatever.

Yamato 23

My god. That four-ship fly-through with our hero,
then the fucking beam cannon into the sky.... so fucking good!
Oh my god!

//edit holy shit! that ending shot! Arghalhgjopasbngakljasdjjmkpasdf

duckroll

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Episode 1

Okay, this was really great. I love the humor, the wordplay, the unique setting, and it's been a really long time since I watched a good comedy with this sort of slow paced dialogue driven humor. The show might be a bit inaccessible to some because it relies on existing knowledge about Japanese mythology, pop culture, and general social behavior, but damn it's pretty fucking funny.

If you like the sound of a show revolving around the activities of a bureaucrat working in the Japanese mythological concept of Hell, you'll probably enjoy this too. Probably the best new show of the season so far imo.

----

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 12

I like where this show is going, even though honestly I don't really know where it's going. The character stuff were top notch this week, and it continues to show that Hazama is really just a lonely guy who just wants people to hang out with him and share his interests. Presenting the role of sentai heroes as a day job is pretty humorous, even though the show totally lacks the subtly and grounded feel of Patlabor.

It's great that even with Hazama knee-deep in his new "job" with his new "friends", the show doesn't neglect to show that the other characters introduced before still have their own lives. It's pretty promising because at some point it'll come back into play for the main story, and I think that's when it'll get really interesting. Right now this entire Flamenger thing is clearly a sort of fun diversion, which shouldn't last too much longer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sakura Trick 1
I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.

Oh my god:
sOJMc0fl.jpg

qk80nXCl.jpg

Honestly, I expected the episode to end with the main girl taking a bath and reflecting on the day's events, because this was basically Hidamari in all but name. The pacing and the transitions between shots, combined with the first person narration and the 6 paired girls... all it was missing was the wideface.

SfPt3n9l.jpg

And yeah, the weird thing is that there is no subtext, and I'm not sure how I feel about that specifically. I remember when I read this chapter way back when and I was a bit surprised that they mashed lips, but I had no idea where they were going to go from there. But now it sort of falls together. I'm going to assume that this will just be your standard slice of life comedy, but one where Sae and Hiro Yuno and Miyako the two girls from Sakura Trick make out with each other from time to time.

On the one hand, I suppose it's something that all pretence is gone, but on the other hand, it will presumably go nowhere fast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its not really pretense if everything works the exact same way other than the characters ostensibly being lesbian.
Well, instead of fingersex and longing looks, they can actually just make out I suppose.

What I don't get is why they even bothered making it a co-ed school, since I can't imagine guys ever being a factor.

LordCanti

Hozuki no Rei....tetsu? Whatever 01:

I laughed at the
Soft Bank/Aya Ueto jokes. That's more laughing than I've done during any other show that has premiered yet, so I'm going to stick with it.

Jintor

Yamato 25

Haha,
fat engineer dude survived!
lololol

This is what happens when you have two episodes left. Fuck.

/edit :(

//edit :( :( :( :(

White Album 2 1-13

That was really good! Exceeded all my expectations. Loved every episode. I also found out this adaptation was only for White Album 2 Introductory Chapter. Hopefully Closing Chapter gets animated as well.

arrggh I'm so ANGRY about Berserks ending fuuuuuck. I'm still can't get over it. I'm going gym to see if I cool down. I've never felt so pissed off. It has to be said again FUCK YOU GRIFFITH!

Jintor

Gone Home Yamato 26 - End-

What a fucking ride. Straight onto my greats list.

That goddamn ending.
Captain Okita looking up at the earth and the Cosmo Reverse reactivating. The montage as they approach earth and the music swells and the Yamato disappears into the darkness, to become the single moving pinprick of light.
sogood. And then that zoomout as the sun rises on the planet and the music does its thing again! AHHHHHH! TOO GOOD

/edit you know, now that I think about it, that sub captain guy looked like Captain Harlock with a moustache

Jarmel

Banned
Mushishi 5-13

Some of these stories I like, some of them I don't. I'm kinda mixed on it as I do like the older characters in the show/episodes but the kids(up to teenagers) are usually irritating or somewhat repetitive. Ending of episode 13 is kinda frustrating but people being dumbasses is realistic so I have to give them that.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Episode 1

Okay, this was really great. I love the humor, the wordplay, the unique setting, and it's been a really long time since I watched a good comedy with this sort of slow paced dialogue driven humor. .

Man, I don't know how it's the anime, but by chance I read the first pair of eps of the manga, and it was totally unfunny for me. Not my cup of tea (of humor), maybe.

sasuke_91

no it's awesome , the Tv anime just ends in a way that make you rage

Should I watch the Anime first or should I just read the manga?
I wanted to read the manga since... like... forever! It is on hiatus so often, though. I can't wait so long for it to come back everytime (T^T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom