• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this space battleship Yamato.....very nice. Filling the space opera void that's been empty since battlestar Galactica ended.

And there's minimal fuckery, it's all very serious which I'm happy with

"bozos" is the polite and shortly dismissive term for funimation's stable of texan rejects. not to throw everyone there under the bus but funimation operates in a way that tries to avoid paying actors guild fees.

Can't agree with this so long as the Funimation's Dub of DBZ still exists .

As for Steins;Gate, its not better than the original but I don't care.
Its one of those cases where its nearly impossible to top the Japanese because those VAs are the characters.
But the Dub is good enough to make me not care about the difference.

You must be thinking of bizarroroll.
qyix6Mo.jpg

Maybe I was thinking of someone else. Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Besides Bizarro.

Kyousougiga 8

Am I the only one that keeps confusing those weird floating colored square things for network logos? The fact they hang out in the corner of the screen doesn't help.

Mature

Detective Conan 712-715 - Heiji Hattori and the Vampire Mansion
Or Ran and Kazuha spend hours eating Gyoza and being terrified of vampires.

Scary mansion, lots of assholes with grudges, and myths sound like the quintessential non-BO episode of Detective Conan— and it was. The setup was simple enough: have old man Heizo say something cryptic about Vampires and then send Heiji and Conan out to what will certainly be a death house full of murderous relationships. This was a four-parter, so they let the mystery breathe long enough to make every suspect a tangible threat, which is always great because you either hate seeing an obvious red herring or hate falling for a not-so-obvious red herring in a murder case and this one side-stepped both. The clues were sprawling and the characters were dynamic, and yes, Kazuha and Ran's terror was adorable.

The conclusion of the mystery jumped to above average, when it was uncovered that the tricks were accomplished by the culprit by means of
parading around the house keepers decapitated head
. Deliciously macabre.

survivor

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 11-13

YES, the tears, the confessions, the sacrifices, the tragedies, they are all happening. Had to go through a lot of mediocrity till we hit the predictable Okada gold and it was worth it.

RIP Manaka :(

Mature

Nagi no Asukara 11-13

YES, the tears, the confessions, the sacrifices, the tragedies, they are all happening. Had to go through a lot of mediocrity till we hit the predictable Okada gold and it was worth it.

RIP Manaka :(
Sounds like fools gold...

Crocodile

Fate Zero turned him into a true believer.

I liked them back when they made Dokkoida, Coyote Ragtime Show, Ninja Nonsense and Futakoi Alternative :p

Fate/Zero is some good shit so far (Ep. 19). It's a shame everybody says Fate/Night that is supposed to come out later this year has shitty source material :( More Fate/Zero quality stuff would have been a joy to see.

duckroll

Is that correct translation for Mirai Fukuin?

It's not a translation, just like Garden of Sinners is not a translation for Kara no Kyoukai. They just have English titles and Japanese titles. Sometimes they mean something similar, sometimes they don't. Type-Moon power!

fertygo

It's not a translation, just like Garden of Sinners is not a translation for Kara no Kyoukai. They just have English titles and Japanese titles. Sometimes they mean something similar, sometimes they don't. Type-Moon power!

Lol yeah, just remember Kara no Kyoukai itself have different meaning than Garden of Sinner.
I see 8,327 for Non Non in the source think?you get DVD data or something?
Though 8,327 or 9,112 still pretty great and enough for season 2

Well that's from Something's post, maybe he already got the latter chart number.

jediyoshi

Sakura Trick 1

86X29hi.png

0YqofFi.png

Gross, who wants to see cute school girls kissing each other

Good to see they put all the money into the important scenes

Sakura Trick 1

And one day, Richard was diamonds

There are things... that I noticed, and that I'm not entirely proud of, but
the crotch area is like... pinkish, as a transition of sorts from the hue of their legs.

And for a show that avoids showing panties, it sure is giving angles that would actually show em in a different show. Does anyone actually wear underwear in Sakura Trick?

And there was gratuitous amount of LEGS.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 14

Wow that was utterly insane... in a good way. I didn't expect that kind of episode from this show. Felt like something Ryutaro Nakamura or Satoshi Kon would have directed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That depends. Are you firehawk?
No. Its a useless DVD special that is completely superfluous.

Firehawk will claim it completes the story though.

hyouka 11.5 is one of the most important episodes in the series, immensely increasing the value of both arcs that it bridges.
My recollection is that some argue that 11.5 is integral to
how Oreki gets out of his depression after being manipulated by Irisu
ITT there are people who understand Hyouka and there are people like Branduil and zeroshiki! :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't say anything bad about it.
Ah, I just figured you were in the zeroshiki camp!

golden time - 01

a. Koko is loko
b. Mitsuo is a fucking clown
c. Banri is alright

Not really a well made show or anything, but I can roll with this.
BAIL OUT.GIF

So is the straw a sex reference or just a symbol of their love?
Be glad it doesn't involve oysters!

Since episode 11.5 of Hyouka came out in 2013 that means I can vote for the show again as far as AOTY right? ;p
If you do it, I'll do it. lol

You are now 火の鷹.
火の鷹十二

Well, at least Corvo saw the best character before he bailed on the show.

duckroll

I know, but his storyboard for 14 in particular makes sense in light of that.

There are some other elements as well, but I don't think they become very apparent until towards the end of the series. Izubuchi has some really nice trademarks in storytelling and visual metaphors.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sakura Trick 1

This was such an empty experience that I'm not sure what to make of it. Ostensibly a yuri anime, but the lead couple are stock moe non-characters of the lowest and most bland, homogenized order; formless conglomerations of saccharine childlike traits that just happen also to be maybe-lesbians. It is such that even the lascivious portions are no more erotic than watching a pair of kittens frolic together. I am no expert when it comes to being able to discern what makes a "good" yuri couple or narrative, but in this show the characters' lesbianism is clearly not integral to their identities; it's just vacuous throwaway smut that's too overbearingly kawaii and underwhelmingly safe and vanilla to fulfill even that purpose. I also personally find that the character designs employ an aesthetic that I don't think "works" with yuri, but that's not so much a criticism as it is personal preference. The physical proportions aren't adult enough and every character has the same face.

This is all made even less tolerable by just how very perfunctory Sakura Trick feels as an adaptation; there is no attempt to obscure the 4koma nature of the source material. The episode is not cleanly divided into "skits" and yet so little effort was put into adapting the material for a full-length-episode animated format that you can effortlessly see where each panel begins and ends as you watch. Most of the "jokes" don't even have punchlines; it's almost all dreadful SHOUTING MAKES ANYTHING FUNNY anime humor. I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.

Jintor

I feel like the engines of the Garmillian ships sound like a fucked-up TARDIS

By the way, who is the headband girl who is Mori's replacement whenever Mori isn't at the bridge?

wonzo

Banned
Sakura Trick 1

This was such an empty experience that I'm not sure what to make of it. Ostensibly a yuri anime, but the lead couple are stock moe non-characters of the lowest and most bland, homogenized order; formless conglomerations of saccharine childlike traits that just happen also to be maybe-lesbians. It is such that even the lascivious portions are no more erotic than watching a pair of kittens frolic together. I am no expert when it comes to being able to discern what makes a "good" yuri couple or narrative, but in this show the characters' lesbianism is clearly not integral to their identities; it's just vacuous throwaway smut that's too overbearingly kawaii and underwhelmingly safe and vanilla to fulfill even that purpose. I also personally find that the character designs employ an aesthetic that I don't think "works" with yuri, but that's not so much a criticism as it is personal preference. The physical proportions aren't adult enough and every character has the same face.

This is all made even less tolerable by just how very perfunctory Sakura Trick feels as an adaptation; there is no attempt to obscure the 4koma nature of the source material. The the episode is not cleanly divided into "skits" and yet so little effort was put into adapting the material for a full-length-episode animated format that you can effortlessly see where each panel begins and ends as you watch. Most of the "jokes" don't even have punchlines; it's almost all dreadful SHOUTING MAKES ANYTHING FUNNY anime humor. I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.
i warned you guys

cajunator

Banned
I've been told to at least wait to the 2nd arc, so I'll do my best with that. The show isn't repulsive to me, it just doesn't really interest me. I get that the idea here will be that Chitanda's interactions with Houtaro will pull him out of his shell, but in the mean time it feels really bland to me. The episode I just watched was a pool episode where the answer to the mystery was so painfully obvious that I couldn't decide if it was less interesting watching three of them try and solve it with enthusiasm or Houtaro continue to zombie his way through things.

I don't hate this show 2 episodes in. I don't anything it. It's like tasting unflavored ice cream or something. I mean, a pool episode right after a "mysteries of the school" is a really, I dunno, "safe" start to the show, you know? It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere with its ideas. It's just doing standard anime scenarios. For a pool episode it wasn't offensive. None of Sword Art Online's hilariously creepy groping happened, for instance. The fan service has been, in fact, kept incredibly modest. To the point of unremarkability. The episode also doesn't do anything to make its pool episode stand out. I'd say the setting was irrelevant to the episode's plot, except that the episode's plot isn't exactly worth talking about, either. There were character interactions that are going places, sure, but all the road signs lead to destinations I have already been, if you take my meaning.

I don't think Hyouka is bad. I just don't think it's anything special. But I'm only 2 episodes in, so I'm not qualified to make anything resembling a final judgment of the show.

episode 3-4 is actually decent. Tells the origins of Sekitani Jun and the name Hyouka. After that it just goes back to being mundane then starts to pick up around the film arc, then catches up to actual interesting anime status when the festival comes around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sakura Trick 1

Honestly, the problem is that the genre is defined by so much sub-sub-sub-subtext that this becomes exceptional because of it.

i warned you guys

Are you implying that people were watching it for something more than girls kissing?

Anyway, I've been around the block looking for yuri manga, there are some that are more interesting than Sakura Trick. Granted one in mind is too dirty for TV, but it doesn't beat around the fucking bush either (fuck subtext, and there's no shit pacing either).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly, the problem is that the genre is defined by so much sub-sub-sub-subtext that this becomes exceptional because of it.

I hate the other extreme where the entire story is just a girl moping around because senpai won't notice her feelings (ugh Sasameki Koto), but that's still preferable to something that's constantly serving the red meat but has no interest in its own characters.

Jintor

The best bit about Sasameki Koto is that you go through the cycle once, and then you go through the cycle again from other other person's POV because she thought they'd given up on them!

Yeah, one of the best things about Sakura Trick is that it is NOT about subtext. It's about girls kissing. They kiss, then they tease the one they like, or kiss some more, or do impressive spinning leaps through the air together, get jealous because the girl they like is near another girl... and then kiss more.]

Sure, the characters are moe stereotypes, but darnit, that episode was great! It's an AOTY list candidate already. It's not #1 of course -- right now that's Saki S2 -- but if it keeps this up it'll be on the list somewhere.

zeroshiki

Who cares if the show is about lesbians if they don't act like lesbians except for the sex?

You should just watch Marimite even if that one isn't about lesbians (except one arc).

OceanBlue

Sakura Trick 1

This is all made even less tolerable by just how very perfunctory Sakura Trick feels as an adaptation; there is no attempt to obscure the 4koma nature of the source material. The episode is not cleanly divided into "skits" and yet so little effort was put into adapting the material for a full-length-episode animated format that you can effortlessly see where each panel begins and ends as you watch. Most of the "jokes" don't even have punchlines; it's almost all dreadful SHOUTING MAKES ANYTHING FUNNY anime humor. I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

So the show starts out with the two main characters already conscious of their feelings? That's a shame. According to the MAL synopsis (which cites ANN although ANN seems to have changed their synopsis lol), the school "is slated to be shut down in three years." Are there signs that they're going to develop the two characters around this and their relationship? It sounds like you don't think so :<. I'm not in the mood for a straight 4-koma comedy, so I'll probably pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom