• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Read the manga. The anime will just leave you wanting to kill something.

Samumenco 13:

Is this...is this a spoof? I don't...I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE!

fertygo

Mushishi 5-13

Some of these stories I like, some of them I don't. I'm kinda mixed on it as I do like the older characters in the show/episodes but the kids(up to teenagers) are usually irritating or somewhat repetitive. Ending of episode 13 is kinda frustrating but people being dumbasses is realistic so I have to give them that.

You like the rainbow episode?

LordCanti

Rainbow and One Eyed Fish are my favorites of the first half.

Sakura Kiss 01

This was animated by a potato.

Characters? Okay. Backgrounds? Ohgodwhyyyyyyyyy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 13

Koko still best girl. <3

Also,
Ghost Banri actually has fucking magical powers or something now? "I'll curse you!" Fuck off, Ghost Banri.

But yeah, seriously, if it weren't for Koko being best girl and Mitsuo being a total bro, I'm not sure if I'd stick with this. Like someone else in the thread said, I can't believe this is coming from the same mind that came up with Toradora.

Also, new OP is garbage of the worst kind and new ED is...passable. God that OP is just so amazingly awful though. I don't think I've ever heard worse.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, one of the best things about Sakura Trick is that it is NOT about subtext. It's about girls kissing. They kiss, then they tease the one they like, or kiss some more, or do impressive spinning leaps through the air together, get jealous because the girl they like is near another girl... and then kiss more.]

Sure, the characters are moe stereotypes, but darnit, that episode was great! It's an AOTY list candidate already. It's not #1 of course -- right now that's Saki S2 -- but if it keeps this up it'll be on the list somewhere.

Going to be stuck at work for 8 hours before I can watch this. ;_;

sonicmj1

Golden Time 13

Like someone else in the thread said, I can't believe this is coming from the same mind that came up with Toradora.

Since I'm not watching Golden Time, I might not have enough perspective to weigh on on this. But I don't think the Toradora anime succeeded based on the strength of its script. The writing fumbles a lot of the side characters kinda badly. The scenario has its moments, but I think it owes a lot of credit to how well JC Staff handled it. From what I've heard, the LN source is about as poorly written as any other light novel.

Then again, stock high school romance might seem like Shakespeare compared to ghost shenaigans, or whatever is going on in Golden Time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since I'm not watching Golden Time, I might not have enough perspective to weigh on on this. But I don't think the Toradora anime succeeded based on the strength of its script. The writing fumbles a lot of the side characters kinda badly. The scenario has its moments, but I think it owes a lot of credit to how well JC Staff handled it. From what I've heard, the LN source is about as poorly written as any other light novel.

Then again, stock high school romance might seem like Shakespeare compared to ghost shenaigans, or whatever is going on in Golden Time.
Toradora isn't a Nick Hornby novel, but at least it doesn't have stupid bullshit either.

I get that you can't have your couple be happy after a couple of volumes, because you need to keep selling as many books as possible, but there are better ways to keep your couple apart than amnesiac ghost hauntings and stupid ex-girlfriends who don't have a spine.

Should I watch the Anime first or should I just read the manga?
I wanted to read the manga since... like... forever! It is on hiatus so often, though. I can't wait so long for it to come back everytime (T^T)

Manga is the BEST EXPERIENCE ..
Don't worry about the hiatus , you have a lot of material to cover you'll thank me once you'll reach the point we all are.

fertygo

Hozuki no Reitetsu - 01

This is pretty good like I expected. The first half was rather boring aside softbank dog joke, but the 2nd half is pretty entertaining.. and I expect like other good episode its gonna got funnier after it truly take off.

Jarmel

Banned
Mushishi-14

This is something straight out of Casshern. I'm really starting to get tired of the melancholic tone for so many of these stories. It's also starting to become somewhat predictable.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sorry to keep going on about this, but my god I can't get over how much I love the Wooser S2 ED. I just start grinning like an idiot every time I watch it.

EDIT: The song is sung by Mamoru Miyano, Wooser's VA. Probably better known as Setsuna in Gundam 00 and Light in Death Note.

fertygo

Mushishi-14

This is something straight out of Casshern. I'm really starting to get tired of the melancholic tone for so many of these stories. It's also starting to become somewhat predictable.

This why I progressing really slowly with this show.. I always waiting the correct mood to watch each episode.

Sakura Trick 1

Yeah, other than the novelty of anime girls kissing and thigh shots, this doesn't have much going for it. Boring.

Sakura Trick Episode 1:

Yea, okay, this is a horribly generic high school slice of life anime with dull moe stereotypes that is being propped up by the fact that this is the first yuri series to be borne, well, since Robot Girl Z. Anyway, I am apparently supposed to be amazed to see so many girls kissing so freely, expect I am not as I have series like Strawberry Panic and Simoun which did this kind of thing and did more interestingly, and Strawberry Panic bored the shit out of me. The fact of the matter is even if the titillation factor was there all I would need would be the opening, that really does fulfill the girl's kissing quota and the now obligatory stupid ass Haruhai dance quota. There is a lot of yuri running through this season and I will take decent subtext over clumsy and exploitative sweeps week empty kissing.

Sakura Trick 1

This was such an empty experience that I'm not sure what to make of it. Ostensibly a yuri anime, but the lead couple are stock moe non-characters of the lowest and most bland, homogenized order; formless conglomerations of saccharine childlike traits that just happen also to be maybe-lesbians. It is such that even the lascivious portions are no more erotic than watching a pair of kittens frolic together. I am no expert when it comes to being able to discern what makes a "good" yuri couple or narrative, but in this show the characters' lesbianism is clearly not integral to their identities; it's just vacuous throwaway smut that's too overbearingly kawaii and underwhelmingly safe and vanilla to fulfill even that purpose. I also personally find that the character designs employ an aesthetic that I don't think "works" with yuri, but that's not so much a criticism as it is personal preference. The physical proportions aren't adult enough and every character has the same face.

This is all made even less tolerable by just how very perfunctory Sakura Trick feels as an adaptation; there is no attempt to obscure the 4koma nature of the source material. The episode is not cleanly divided into "skits" and yet so little effort was put into adapting the material for a full-length-episode animated format that you can effortlessly see where each panel begins and ends as you watch. Most of the "jokes" don't even have punchlines; it's almost all dreadful SHOUTING MAKES ANYTHING FUNNY anime humor. I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.

I hereby nominate Sakura Trick for the "Biggest Piece of Hot Fucking Garbage of the Season" award.
Since i read all 3 volume of Sakura Trick manga

I can say none of you guys are right

Necrovex

Hajime no Ippo (2009)-1/2

I had no idea this existed until I started on this season of Ippo and saw a comment involving this season. So I stopped that and saw this, and it continues to have that Ippo charm. Took an episode to get used to the slightly different art style.

So it starts with a bang with focusing on Miyata who we should *all* love. I am simply happy to experience another 26 episodes of Ippo.

Kazzy

It's a good thing that I'm currently working my way through Yamato, because Kill la Kill is just serving me a big plate of disappointment!

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 201X is now...

SAILOR MOON 2014. July 2014, to be exact.

Directed by Munehisa Sakai, who is unquestionably Toei's current best mahou shoujo talent (because let's face it, Rie Matsumoto isn't going to be allowed out of her cage for a looooong time now.)

It's real.

Didnt respond last night. Was in a barcade watching a drunk friend sing Karaoke.
This is great news that we finally have a solid date for this. Now to see if actual info leaks so we can be sure its really really real. The website is a great start.

So is this a remake? Of the entire series? I watched all of S1 and then stopped there.

Should I just wait for the remake or should I pick the series again . _.

Nobody knows yet. Best to rewatch/watch the original show and not rely on this one.

Is it actually worth that asking price on ebay?

Lol not really. Ive seen CCS go for 800-1000 and silly stuff. Nan oha sets are quite valuable apparently though and in particular A's goes for hundreds every time Ive seen it.

Engaged to the Unidentified 1

This looked really nice but otherwise it was pretty boring and bland. The two main leads are about as interesting as watching paint dry and none of the other secondary characters really stepped up to the plate yet. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it goes but so far its just meh.

Since i read all 3 volume of Sakura Trick manga

I can say none of you guys are right

I actually agree with you ..
Sakura trick is actually magnificent.

So Sakura trick - 01
Sakura%20Trick%20-%2001_01.jpg

Friend ? i think not !
SdBurton, i hope you're ready ...I really hope you are because this anime is pretty much the thing we love .. And it's so awesome.

It's not original , but the characters aren't dull at least , in fact i love them all already ... And the couples are already done, they just have to run with them. Bless the yuri god...this adaptation was so good.
10/10

maria_holic_04_20.jpg

zeroshiki

Softbank joke was legit funny. I have a feeling that whole scenario was created just for that one joke :lol The Aya Ueto joke right after it is not gonna make sense in a few years though. (She got married a couple months ago)

LordCanti

Well, the first episode of Sakura Trick does have more kiss scens than all romance anime in 2013 together. Why is anime just so prude?

Based Monogatari had kissing scenes....

If there's one thing that Monogatari is, it's romance
between Araragi and any girl with or without a pulse.

Hozuki no Reitetsu ep 1
Oh man, the softbank joke got me.

It really is a shame that Aya-chan got married off though ;_; Such depression, very sad...wow.

Tenumi

Banned
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren: 01

Ah... as adorable as before. This is exactly what the doctor ordered to snap me out of my emotional funk...

That's about all it had going for it.

I say this as someone that really enjoys the superior art of girls love.

Hard to make a definitive judgement on one episode if you enjoy looking at the "garden".
This kind of serie relies on the cast and they are only starting to expand on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom