• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Pupa 1

Well that was short. Which is a shame, because it did a pretty good job building atmosphere and mystique, but it's hamstrung a bit by the length. Also the monster is kind of goofy-looking.

The length will not pay it any favors. Such a show requires some buildup to create proper horror and situations and this rushed pacing just ruins the mood.

Good lord at that price.

That reminds me. When I saw Nanoha for the first time, I thought to myself, "wow, that was the exact opposite of Madoka
in terms of tone
". I know they were both made by the same director, but after watching the last scene of Nanoha's first season, seeing Madoka's ending now makes me think Urobuchi took one look at Nanoha and said: "NO. NO I REJECT THE PREMISE OF THIS." while he wrote Madoka.

I mean, seeing how Madoka is supposed to be a deconstruction of the Mahou Shoujo genre, it's like Nanoha was used as reference on what not to do when writing it.

I feel like I was supposed to have watched Nanoha before watching Madoka. Ah well. Nanoha was still good though.

Oh, and speaking of Nanoha, I kind of skimmed through StrikerS. Since I had no real interest in watching it. I don't know, I feel like the characters in StrikerS grew up way too fast. There really should have been like, a season in between. Going from grade schoolers to full-on adults is just weird. There should at least have been a season with them in their high-school years if the ending of A's was any indication!

That's not to say StrikerS is terrible. I'd probably need to watch it again, but nothing in it seems terribly bad about it. I dunno, I guess it feels like a re-hash in some aspects while it tries to take a slightly darker tone in other aspects.

But like I said, I skimmed through it. My real problem with it is that the sudden season transition from child to adult was way too jarring for me to actually pay attention to anything else that well. It's like waking up from a frozen sleep. Everything's different, but it's not exactly a horrible change. Just takes some getting used to. And I guess I'm one of the people who couldn't get used to it very well. Maybe the third movie Reflection will try and establish a good mid-point as it supposedly takes place before StrikerS and after A's.

Or even better, have it be a time-travel movie where Modern Nanoha meets up with Classic Nanoha. Nanoha Generations. That should be the real title.

Eh, some people were probably expecting a show that was really similar to Gurren Lagann in terms of EVERYTHING and not just its hot-bloodedness. While it certainly has in common Gurren Lagann's hotblooded action, everything else on the other hand is pretty different from TTGL. There isn't a real sense of adventure, we're seeing a lot more of the "villains"(Satsuki is hiding a noble goal somewhere under that emotional mask I just know it) than the heroes, and Ryuko sure ain't no Simon in terms of character development etc. But regardless, I'm enjoying what the show has to offer.

I like the fact that more questions are being raised than answers so far, it gives me hype for a big reveal on just what the hell is going on in the world these characters live in.

Nanoha should have definitely been seen beforehand.However theres no bad time to watch it :)
A's is easily the best and by best I mean blow your mind amazing sometimes, but the original series has its times. Strikers seems to be agreed upon as the weakest by most people. Nanoha didnt deconstruct anything, it just went a new direction with mahou shoujo into a more technical, action filled style. Its fucking awesome is what it is.

Why is Crunchyroll's player so unstable? Seems like it crashes at least once per episode of a series and I need to reload the page.

It usually crashes on me at least once per viewing near the middle. Weird as hell.
I pay for CR, so its kinda annoying.

If he drops Hyouka, that increases his chances of picking up Kino's Journey. Which deserves to be watched more. There aren't nearly enough people posting impressions of it in here.

Tell me about it. I had to go through while watching Hunter X Hunter tons of times since all of my experiences from that show came from there.

Ive been trying to get him to watch Kino's journey for a while. Which its a very good series, it does illicit some great reactions from people just because of the subject matter and some unexpected things that happen.

LordCanti

Hard to make a definitive judgement on one episode if you enjoy looking at the "garden".
This kind of serie relies on the cast and they are only starting to expand on this

Episode 1 didn't inspire much faith, but if I keep reading reports of increasingly salacious activity in the garden, I may pick it back up mid-season.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I actually agree with you ..
Sakura trick is actually magnificent.

So Sakura trick - 01

SdBurton, i hope you're ready ...I really hope you are because this anime is pretty much the thing we love .. And it's so awesome.

It's not original , but the characters aren't dull at least , in fact i love them all already ... And the couples are already done, they just have to run with them. Bless the yuri god...this adaptation was so good.
10/10

maria_holic_04_20.jpg

OmgOmgOmgOmgOmgOmg!!!!!!!!!!!

7 more hours left until I'm out of here. ;_;

Tenumi

Banned
Kill la Kill: 13

Well, well, definitely not starting things off slow after the break. What appears to be major plot movements, and some definitely interesting decisions made.

...Felt a little more subdued, to me. Maybe it's Space Dandy changing my bar for ridiculousness.

Oneechan ga Kita - 01

She came, dammit, she came!

So yea, this seems right up my alley, now onlyif the episode weren't 3 minutes long. Animation is good, and the colour palate reminds me of Usagi Drop, which is nice.

...I wonder how she eats with her mouth like that.

cajunator

Banned
That's three separate recommendations for Kino's Journey. Really need to watch that. But I hear it's depressing or at least dark, so I need to sandwich these shows between happier shows. For example my plan:

Happy show
Texhnolyze
Happy show

Happy show
Ghost Hound
Happy show

Happy show
Casshern Sins
Happy Show (x20)

Thats a pretty good way to watch sad anime. Put it between a squee sandwich.
Although I marathoned Saikano once with no other help. Im probably crazy.

I've been told to at least wait to the 2nd arc, so I'll do my best with that. The show isn't repulsive to me, it just doesn't really interest me. I get that the idea here will be that Chitanda's interactions with Houtaro will pull him out of his shell, but in the mean time it feels really bland to me. The episode I just watched was a pool episode where the answer to the mystery was so painfully obvious that I couldn't decide if it was less interesting watching three of them try and solve it with enthusiasm or Houtaro continue to zombie his way through things.

I don't hate this show 2 episodes in. I don't anything it. It's like tasting unflavored ice cream or something. I mean, a pool episode right after a "mysteries of the school" is a really, I dunno, "safe" start to the show, you know? It doesn't feel like it's going anywhere with its ideas. It's just doing standard anime scenarios. For a pool episode it wasn't offensive. None of Sword Art Online's hilariously creepy groping happened, for instance. The fan service has been, in fact, kept incredibly modest. To the point of unremarkability. The episode also doesn't do anything to make its pool episode stand out. I'd say the setting was irrelevant to the episode's plot, except that the episode's plot isn't exactly worth talking about, either. There were character interactions that are going places, sure, but all the road signs lead to destinations I have already been, if you take my meaning.

I don't think Hyouka is bad. I just don't think it's anything special. But I'm only 2 episodes in, so I'm not qualified to make anything resembling a final judgment of the show.

You seem to have watched it out of order Corvy kun. However, its funny you should mention ice cream...

Kino's Journey is basically a series of dark pseudo-parables. They're dark, but it's not really tragic or a character drama (for the most part). It's more detached.

Basically yeah. Kino is typically removed from the society being observed. Doesnt get involved unless its necessary. Most things dont personally affect Kino. MOST.

Tenumi

Banned
Sakura Trick: 01

Ah... Purity at it's finest. No, theres not much of a plot to speak of. Just general ol' slice of life. With some Yuri.

...A good amount of it, too.

cajunator

Banned
If we're removing stuff from Fate/Zero we should start with the stupidly long and boring episode 1.

Not so. I found it quite important to set everything up. Also my Mother watched the peisode with me and seemed to like it. Well most of it.

Fate/Zero Episode 1 was good.

This.

Also the Penguindrum OPs, Arakawa OPs and of course the Denpa Onna ED. She is so great.

Interesting singer. a very similar styled one sang the ED to Moonphase. Thought it was the same person but nope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tapxIZECoqo

Tonari no Seki-kun - 01

Screw you, my dominoes got my friggin' name on 'em, I'll do whatever I want with 'em!

Well that was fun. Remember a lot of people talking about the manga over in MangaGaf, but never got the time to read it, and was surprised that it got an anime. Animation is kinda cheap, but I don't remember (what I saw of) the manga's art being very good either. Love the music though.

Pupa I was disappointed in the episode being 5mins long :( I will wait for the series to be complete and watch them all at once.

Mahou Sensou appears to have a fusion of some fatestay night characters.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah but we're talking about combining it with a fun, if really silly time-travel yarn with entertaining character interplay, rather than the bottom dregs of the bankrupt LN industry.

This is why I l;ove Shaft. Regardless of production values, they always seem to pick really fun subject matter and projects to adapt.

Paranoia Agent 2

Nightmares Nightmares Nightmares Nightmares

Oh, it gets more nightmareish dont worry!
Have a cute dancing Maromi!
ubUvcqj.jpg

But the amazing chicken tender clip is basically the best selling point imaginable for the dub.

This is so fucking true! Generally anything Mayuri says or does is a selling point.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

Bolded are new ranks from the last update.

Also included are updated numbers of other previous shows.

Source

Non non Biyori FTW.
NYANPASU ALL DAY ERRYDAY. Ok maybe just mornings.

fertygo

Saki : Side-A - 04

Man, Kuro is awesome.. might be my favorite character in entire series. That Dora collecting power is hype as hell.. easily the most droolworthy superpower for playing Mahjong.

EDIT : Bah of course
Kuro got wrecked in the very next episode

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I do wonder if a defense of Sakura Trick can be marshaled beyond the fact it has girls kisisng or it is supposed to be "fun" and such?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I just assume you'll hate it. lol

Well, there's the show itself, which is p. bland, and then there's the fanbase, who are ridiculously annoying!

In its defense, the "they're not real lesbians, need more subtext!" crowd makes absolutely zero sense, like lesbians are defined by the fact they're attracted to girls and can only do stuff related to that or something

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Calm down.

It's just a show about kissing girls.
It's YuruYuri except the punchline is the kissing.

Well, there's the show itself, which is p. bland, and then there's the fanbase, who are ridiculously annoying!

In its defense, the "they're not real lesbians, need more subtext!" crowd makes absolutely zero sense, like lesbians are defined by the fact they're attracted to girls and can only do stuff related to that or something
I don't even know what this means! :p

cajunator

Banned
Uyc4B3U.gif

And the trend will continue. I expect the season after this spring to be full of moe girls. Summoe 2014.

This is the best possible outcome.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Episode 1

chuunibyou season 2 is everything I could hope for and more, well except for no kissing, but that's in due time.

Thats what OVAs are for :D

Mikakunin 1

Surprisingly decent moe, saw on premise of being same script writer and screenplay as Clannad. Hopefully doesn't go into pure pandering mode at which point it's dropped. But for now, the animation is decent and the premise, while cliched, isn't one that's overused to death.

Also, wait IS2 is really that popular? I watched the 1st season and it was kind of ok but the 2nd season went full fanservice that I couldn't watch it at all. Damn.

IS2 is popular because its a waifu show that knows exactly what its doing. Thats pretty much it.

Why does Infinite shitos sell so much? I can see now why more and more shows are just in it for the pandering :/

Three reasons:

1. Charlotte
2. Laura
3. Tatenashi

Pooya

Wake Up Girls

so there is this thing called 'Seven Idols' and then there is episode 1 in one hour on CR? I've no idea about the chronological order or what's happening...

well, this is an idol show alright... looks good too though the girls are really really similar looking. I think I'll probably watch this for now, I'm not sure how I feel about this or is it any good yet. Probably should watch both things first...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
YuruYuri does have rape jokes. Sakura Trick is just an inoffensive show about something so trivial as kissing.

It's okay if people don't like it but all the hate here is just absurd.
As the first real yuri show in a few years, it's disappointing that it's something that is safer than Sasameki Koto. But I suppose there's a reason why both that and Aoi Hana bombed hard.

Serious

I'm seriously confused on what the people who hated Sakura Trick were actually expecting out of the show.

I was expecting a SoL with cute girls and a ton of kissing, and that exactly what I got. And it was glorious.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
YuruYuri does have rape jokes. Sakura Trick is just an inoffensive show about something so trivial as kissing.

It's okay if people don't like it but all the hate here is just absurd.

A big problem is the yuri kissing is getting trumped up to the nth degree because a) this is the first show in a fair number of years to go ditch subtext and b) that is really all this show seems to have, so lacking in substance and reveling in vapidity that all it has is the girls love marketing gimmick.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Episode 1

Okay, this was really great. I love the humor, the wordplay, the unique setting, and it's been a really long time since I watched a good comedy with this sort of slow paced dialogue driven humor. The show might be a bit inaccessible to some because it relies on existing knowledge about Japanese mythology, pop culture, and general social behavior, but damn it's pretty fucking funny.

If you like the sound of a show revolving around the activities of a bureaucrat working in the Japanese mythological concept of Hell, you'll probably enjoy this too. Probably the best new show of the season so far imo.

I'll admit, that Softbank joke slayed me.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but my god I can't get over how much I love the Wooser S2 ED. I just start grinning like an idiot every time I watch it.

EDIT: The song is sung by Mamoru Miyano, Wooser's VA. Probably better known as Setsuna in Gundam 00 and Light in Death Note.

Wooser S2 is basically Mamoru Miyano fabulous 3 minutes of fun.

If only Yamada and the Seven Witches was animated/watched by more people.

Doomed to jdrama only.

One day I hope to find a BL series that makes me as enthusiastic as thanatos and SDBurton are right now.

It's a classic (I guess by now), but there's always Gravitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom