• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The people who complained when K-On and Haruhi were selling crazy numbers must be longing for those days now.

Pretty much. KyoAni had a goldmine there. S3 of K-On is the only answer really.

Etsuko Yakushimaru is mai waifu

Why are you and Zach always so right about everything??

Sakura Trick 1

This was such an empty experience that I'm not sure what to make of it. Ostensibly a yuri anime, but the lead couple are stock moe non-characters of the lowest and most bland, homogenized order; formless conglomerations of saccharine childlike traits that just happen also to be maybe-lesbians. It is such that even the lascivious portions are no more erotic than watching a pair of kittens frolic together. I am no expert when it comes to being able to discern what makes a "good" yuri couple or narrative, but in this show the characters' lesbianism is clearly not integral to their identities; it's just vacuous throwaway smut that's too overbearingly kawaii and underwhelmingly safe and vanilla to fulfill even that purpose. I also personally find that the character designs employ an aesthetic that I don't think "works" with yuri, but that's not so much a criticism as it is personal preference. The physical proportions aren't adult enough and every character has the same face.

This is all made even less tolerable by just how very perfunctory Sakura Trick feels as an adaptation; there is no attempt to obscure the 4koma nature of the source material. The episode is not cleanly divided into "skits" and yet so little effort was put into adapting the material for a full-length-episode animated format that you can effortlessly see where each panel begins and ends as you watch. Most of the "jokes" don't even have punchlines; it's almost all dreadful SHOUTING MAKES ANYTHING FUNNY anime humor. I credit the attempt to spice up the visual presentation with Hidamari-like use of patterns, colors, and abstract/minimalist imagery to represent states of mind, emphasis, and punctuation (the director is a Hidamari vet, to my knowledge), but the overall direction is not strong and some scattershot stylistic quirks are no substitute for actually good content.

tl;dr avoid if you demand something from your yuri even slightly above and beyond the mere presence of two girls kissing. It's dull.

Im gonna watch it for the yuri and cute. Thats all I expect from a 4koma pf this kind really. If I want story and substance with my girls kissing Ill watch Simoun.
Actually I might just watch Simoun again for the hell of it.

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga 8

Am I the only one that keeps confusing those weird floating colored square things for network logos? The fact they hang out in the corner of the screen doesn't help.

Oh hey, I thought I was the only one!

who? which show?

Longsleeves. Mikakunin.

EDIT:

iqaSCxWxQTEvT.jpg

I do wonder if a defense of Sakura Trick can be marshaled beyond the fact it has girls kisisng or it is supposed to be "fun" and such?

why defense ?

People need to learn to stop watching shows they don't like and watching something else.
Heck , i dunno ... put it on hold and read the comments here next week to see if it's getting closer than what you want and go back watching if it's the case.

There should n't be "defense" or defense forces when it's just a show .you'd think sometimes people forget this is just entertainment.

Nothing toward shard in particular , it's a weird trend i see so often ..i don't understand.

cnet128

Banned
why defense ?

People need to learn to stop watching shows they don't like and watching something else.
Heck , i dunno ... put it on hold and read the comments here next week to see if it's getting closer than what you want and go back watching if it's the case.

There should n't be "defense" or defense forces when it's just a show .you'd think sometimes people forget this is just entertainment.

Nothing toward shard in particular , it's a weird trend i see so often ..i don't understand.

Defending shows is so that you can recommend them to other people without being laughed down. And comment on them without people going "THE ANIME YOU LIKE IS SHIIIIIIIT".

Of course, nobody who's already formed enough of an opinion on a show to take part in such arguments is ever going to actually change that opinion, so it's still kind of pointless.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
why defense ?

Okay, you do know this is the beginning of a new season and as such a lot of new shows are debuting, I heard things about Sakura Trick but I needed to watch so I could formulate my own honest opinions and I needed to articulate why. Personal enjoyment doesn't really mean much, yea, you liked something, good for you, not really a great rubric for debate.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, one of the best things about Sakura Trick is that it is NOT about subtext. It's about girls kissing. They kiss, then they tease the one they like, or kiss some more, or do impressive spinning leaps through the air together, get jealous because the girl they like is near another girl... and then kiss more.]

Sure, the characters are moe stereotypes, but darnit, that episode was great! It's an AOTY list candidate already. It's not #1 of course -- right now that's Saki S2 -- but if it keeps this up it'll be on the list somewhere.

Yuri and girls kissing cutely. Isnt that the draw? What other reason must it exist for?

Princess and the Pilot - that turned out kinda ok. A bit surprised the duo did not give into their feelings.

Am curious to know how it relates to the new show.

The ending was kinda blah. I was hoping for more honestly. Im also curious how it ties in.

I think I need to play some Revengeance to calm myself down, that's how hype Yamato has me.

jXZHv4L.gif

This is far more disturbing than the anime.

arrggh I'm so ANGRY about Berserks ending fuuuuuck. I'm still can't get over it. I'm going gym to see if I cool down. I've never felt so pissed off. It has to be said again FUCK YOU GRIFFITH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-CxIQG6Tbg#t=175

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. Really obnoxious.

I love LOVE orchestrated music but that was absolutely horrible. The same piece played over and over again never deviating. ITs a recipe for musical disaster. The ED is passable. Koko is still adorable as fuck in it. I will just mute the TV when the OP is on just that screeching music...

Mushishi 5-13

Some of these stories I like, some of them I don't. I'm kinda mixed on it as I do like the older characters in the show/episodes but the kids(up to teenagers) are usually irritating or somewhat repetitive. Ending of episode 13 is kinda frustrating but people being dumbasses is realistic so I have to give them that.

My favorite is the episode with the kid and the eyes. Creepy but amazing.

Oh god, you weren't kidding. It makes Denpa Onna's OP sound like good music.

Which it totally is.

Okay, you do know this is the beginning of a new season and as such a lot of new shows are debuting, I heard things about Sakura Trick but I needed to watch so I could formulate my own honest opinions and I needed to articulate why. Personal enjoyment doesn't really mean much, yea, you liked something, good for you, not really a great rubric for debate.

And i said that this isn't about you in particular

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And i said that this isn't about you in particular

Well, your screed is kind of on the absurd side when we have a lot of first episodes premiering and we are going to get debates about quality, haters going to hate, defenders going to defend and so on and so forth.

CorvoSol

I think you get hung up on stuff way too much, but otherwise I'd say you're harmless!

Negatives aren't fun unless I accentuate them. I have fun that way. The people have fun that way. Other people get to think they have better tastes and attitudes than me. It's a public service, really. I've been putting AnimeGAF down on my taxes for a year now.

Pupa -1
This could have been at least something if it didn't have such a short run time. I want to believe that at one point this was planned to be a 24 minutes per episode show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I know that feeling all to well Corvo, I have had to deal with people telling me I should "lighten up" and 'you should just enjoy x" quite a lot and I can't do that, I enjoy destroying the things that I hate and worse I would be lying, oh ye gods, I would be so lying through my teeth if I said I enjoy Bleach week in and week out.

CorvoSol

I know that feeling all to well Corvo, I have had to deal with people telling me I should "lighten up" and 'you should just enjoy x" quite a lot and I can't do that, I enjoy destroying the things that I hate and worse I would be lying, oh ye gods, I would be so lying through my teeth if I said I enjoy Bleach week in and week out.

I only ever really experience frustration when people think I don't watch things that I like. I suppose I'm not as vocal in my enjoyment as my frustration, but I do watch a good number of shows that I enjoy.

cajunator

Banned
Toradora isn't a Nick Hornby novel, but at least it doesn't have stupid bullshit either.

I get that you can't have your couple be happy after a couple of volumes, because you need to keep selling as many books as possible, but there are better ways to keep your couple apart than amnesiac ghost hauntings and stupid ex-girlfriends who don't have a spine.

I do think they should have avoided all that shit in the first place. Toradora didnt have any bullshit supernatural forces ruining the romance. I can deal with spineless Linda cause that adds to the conflict.

I hereby nominate Sakura Trick for the "Biggest Piece of Hot Fucking Garbage of the Season" award.

One man's trash...

If this is your reaction to Sakura Trick's backgrounds, I'd love to see you watch the first season of Hidamari Sketch.

This is like beating up on a little fuzzy animal :(

Does it go Strawberry Panic on us and bring out the melodrama? Because then it might actually be worth watching.

Ohhh. SDBurton will love that!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I only ever really experience frustration when people think I don't watch things that I like. I suppose I'm not as vocal in my enjoyment as my frustration, but I do watch a good number of shows that I enjoy.

I do know where you are coming from as nobody ever seems to pay attention to the positive reviews I write, but when I bring the bile and vitriol then people pay attention.

CorvoSol

I do know where you are coming from as nobody ever seems to pay attention to the positive reviews I write, but when I bring the bile and vitriol then people pay attention.

To be entirely fair I think angry posts just stand out more. I have tried to see if one or two other posters ever say anything positive but I kinda gloss over those posts for the negative ones. I don't blame people for thinking I only watch bad shows because I spend the majority of my time flipping my lid about those shows, but I do watch things I like and consider good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CorvoSol: Just so you know, I read your Rebirth of Buddha post and I agree that it's more enjoyable as a movie than Laws of Eternity. It just also features UFOs and shit too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What I don't get is why they even bothered making it a co-ed school, since I can't imagine guys ever being a factor.

The classroom seating is even divided cleanly along gender lines so if the few girls in the class are already in their own little No Dicks Zone, there's not much of a point, is there?

No melodrama level plot here,but it's clearly not "nothing but kissing"

Seriously it's a show for fun,why need melodrama,you guys want another C3-bu:the line?

False dichotomy. If you think that a show has to have bad anime drama to impart substance, I might recommend trying some different shows.

CorvoSol

CorvoSol: Just so you know, I read your Rebirth of Buddha post and I agree that it's more enjoyable as a movie than Laws of Eternity. It just also features UFOs and shit too.

Oh yeah that was definitely the highlight of the movie. That it was never really spoken of, explained, or touched upon again after that scene only makes it weirder. I'd love to hear the Happy Science explanation for it.

But I mean, beyond that and the psychic powers the movie was actually fairly reigned in. I just started the Golden Laws last night and it's gone full-blown Science Fiction madness.

JoeFu

Banned
I laughed at Pupa

how can 3 minutes convey anysort of anything? why even have and op and ed for something so short? I don't get it.

my friend told me about the weird premise of the show so i wanted to witness it, but the first ep lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah that was definitely the highlight of the movie. That it was never really spoken of, explained, or touched upon again after that scene only makes it weirder. I'd love to hear the Happy Science explanation for it.

But I mean, beyond that and the psychic powers the movie was actually fairly reigned in. I just started the Golden Laws last night and it's gone full-blown Science Fiction madness.
Even better is defeating them all by summoning flower petals.

The classroom seating is even divided cleanly along gender lines so if the few girls in the class are already in their own little No Dicks Zone, there's not much of a point, is there?

False dichotomy. If you think that a show has to have bad anime drama to impart substance, I might recommend trying some different shows.

No one is using dichotomy here
But that's right,you can simply stop watching this show you can't get what are they showing

Theonik

Because for 24 minutes of animation, it lasts forfucking ever. With or without a group of friends.
Lucky star should have just been 5 minute shorts of the end segments.

Sailor Moon 201X is now...

SAILOR MOON 2014. July 2014, to be exact.

Directed by Munehisa Sakai, who is unquestionably Toei's current best mahou shoujo talent (because let's face it, Rie Matsumoto isn't going to be allowed out of her cage for a looooong time now.)

It's real.
Actual happening.
It will probably suck. It seems that Hito isn't making a thread till June then.

I think I'll learn to live with this. I have to. For him.
EAhCAUF.gif

Monster Girls! Turned a fanboy of my friend He always steam chats me! To talk about theeeeeeeeeem!
I can't sympathise with you when your taste sucks so much :(

he's always going to be a woefully underloved character but at least I can momentarily catch some people's attention with some Johnny sakuga.

0d16ef24a7a4f88289e904gprs.gif
Dat Yutaka nakamura.

Yamato 16

That was very exciting, but not very well established, I felt.
The Izumo/Yamato plan politics being traceable back to earth should probably have been established far earlier, as should the general possibility of mutiny. I hadn't even SEEN most of the security forces besides Chief Obviously An Asshole and Smiling Counterspy beforehand, so it kinda seemed like the dude just pulled an army out of his asshole. Also, the general logic of 'Obviously this invincible armada which nearly just wiped us the fuck out of space won't just follow us to this new planet and try and wreck us there too' was never brought up, not that the mutiny was very well justified in the first place.

TL;DR Smiling Security Chief is an idiot
The
mutiny stuff
was actually foreshadowed several times in the episodes leading to it.

That's sure worked out for them recently.

His
tightly closed eyes
was foreshadowing!

There's a fair bit of visual clues and hints that something is brewing, iirc. I thought it worked out well enough, especially given how it unfolded in parallel with the
stuff on the alien planet.
The biggest hint was earlier on where
we see Niimi speaking to the security chief that seemed to be up to something while she was drinking from her Izumo project cup.
we also learn what the project was in earlier episodes with scenes involving Niimi
still pursuing a suitable migration planet.
It didn't come out of nowhere but I would agree that the plan itself was dumb.
Though if you are not convinced that Iskandar has any intention to actually help and believe the Izumo plan is the only other option I can understand part of the logic. Except there is no way Garmillas wouldn't follow them and destroy their new settlement.

Everyone who doesn't like what I like is to be put to death.

Sorry, but that's just how it is.
I'm fine with this kind of law.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No one is using dichotomy here
But that's right,you can simply stop watching this show you can't get what are they showing

Wait, I "don't get it" because I don't know what happens in a manga that I've never read? This is an unfair attitude toward people who are choosing to experience the story as it progresses in anime format.

I am not saying that it can never change, but right now, after one episode of the anime, knowing what has happened only in that one episode, my impressions are what they are.

I don't even understand why they wasted money on this. 3 minutes is painfully obviously not enough time to tell any part of this story.

You know you've failed at exposition when everyone's flesh is rotting off of their bones and it's just treated as a matter of course.

Wait, I "don't get it" because I don't know what happens in a manga that I've never read? This is an unfair attitude toward people who are choosing to experience the story as it progresses in anime format.

I am not saying that it can never change, but right now, after one episode of the anime, knowing what has happened only in that one episode, my impressions are what they are.

Are you ok?when i said you need to read the manga?

Jex

Pupa -1
This could have been at least something if it didn't have such a short run time. I want to believe that at one point this was planned to be a 24 minutes per episode show.

Well, there's no way you plan to do a show with 3 minute episodes for anything other than a gag comedy.

cajunator

Banned
I actually agree with you ..
Sakura trick is actually magnificent.

So Sakura trick - 01

SdBurton, i hope you're ready ...I really hope you are because this anime is pretty much the thing we love .. And it's so awesome.

It's not original , but the characters aren't dull at least , in fact i love them all already ... And the couples are already done, they just have to run with them. Bless the yuri god...this adaptation was so good.
10/10

maria_holic_04_20.jpg

Yo DAMN

Yeah marathon-ing Mushi-shi is not the way to watch Mushi-shi.

Its a show to digest in small portions. Far too slow and relaxed to marathon. youll fall asleep.

This, obviously.

axCXtJQ.jpg

This is a joke of course.

Lol. wow.

Sakura Trick: 01

Ah... Purity at it's finest. No, theres not much of a plot to speak of. Just general ol' slice of life. With some Yuri.

...A good amount of it, too.

The way god intended.

Jex

Yamato 16

That was very exciting, but not very well established, I felt.
The Izumo/Yamato plan politics being traceable back to earth should probably have been established far earlier, as should the general possibility of mutiny. I hadn't even SEEN most of the security forces besides Chief Obviously An Asshole and Smiling Counterspy beforehand, so it kinda seemed like the dude just pulled an army out of his asshole. Also, the general logic of 'Obviously this invincible armada which nearly just wiped us the fuck out of space won't just follow us to this new planet and try and wreck us there too' was never brought up, not that the mutiny was very well justified in the first place.

TL;DR Smiling Security Chief is an idiot
There was actually multiple instances of foreshadowing before the plan was put into action.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
sakura trick 01
i closed my eyes for a while. it didn't seem like i missed anything. i probably would have dozed off right then if one of the character's yelling didn't bring me back.
i fell asleep a few minutes further into the episode.

the sound direction was really bad. this and tonari no seki-kun both have this thing where the characters are yelling a lot in situations where they shouldn't. it becomes problematic when it's hard to tell if the noise they are making is internal or external.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom