• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the show account for losses after major battles? I don't recall a ton of crew members dying. There are casualties, but usually it's more about how there are a ton of injured people, and I guess with the amazing medical advances in 2199, they... get better quickly? Lol.

Its more the case of no named characters dying and no one caring lol.

Branduil

They have replicator technology for food, why not missiles too? They're obviously getting metal from somewhere considering all the holes in their ship that always end up patched.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 26

Melodramatic cheese is okay if it happens to things I care about. This ending was great. This show was great. The miraculous stuff even made sense in the weird context of all the stuff they set up in the ending.

I'd never have expected this show to be so good, but it's definitely cemented its spot at number 2 on my AOTY ballot. Given a fairly tight episode count and an ambitious scope, Yamato manages to make a pretty big ship crew feel like a tight family, giving each important member development while simultaneously tackling intergalactic space politics, adventures, and one of the best crews of antagonists an anime can hold. It's so rare to see a science fiction show that can spin a compelling tale of the far future without ever losing sight of the human stories that form the bedrock of any good work of fiction.

A truly special show that nearly anyone can appreciate. I can't thank AnimeGAF enough for recommending it until I couldn't ignore it anymore.

CorvoSol

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just making sure I was right when I told them that it was considered super good.

War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team are both worthwhile watches. I'm not the biggest fan of 08th MS Team, but a lot of other people really enjoy it. Stardust Memory is the one you want to avoid. That and Victory. The rest of UC is okay.

Well, speaking honestly F91 was pretty bad, but it gave us Crossbone, so I forgive it.

Well, mainly just S1. I really think most of the S2 design work is weaker.

I agree that S2's designs were weaker than S1's, but I think they bounced back a bit for the movies. S1 had the best designs in the run, though.

Theonik

Doesn't the show account for losses after major battles? I don't recall a ton of crew members dying. There are casualties, but usually it's more about how there are a ton of injured people, and I guess with the amazing medical advances in 2199, they... get better quickly? Lol.
I recall at least two instances of the Yamato sustaining major losses. In both instances it is mentioned only for dramatic effect and doesn't change the way the ship operates at all. You'd have thought they'd miss not having anyone to man all those positions but nope!

duckroll

I recall at least two instances of the Yamato sustaining major losses. In both instances it s mentioned only for dramatic effect and doesn't change the way the ship operates at all. You'd have thought they'd miss not having anyone to man all those positions but nope!

That's the power of redundancy! :D

Theonik

Also
how long does it take for the counter-intelligence dude to recover when he gets wounded?
Amazing medical advances my ass!

That's the power of redundancy!
Clearly the majority of the functions of the Yamato are automated and the crew outside the major characters exists simply to purchase the space parfaits and be jettisoned into space dramatically.

War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team are both worthwhile watches. I'm not the biggest fan of 08th MS Team, but a lot of other people really enjoy it. Stardust Memory is the one you want to avoid. That and Victory. The rest of UC is okay.

Well 08th MS team was something I considered after seeing the OVA released last year, but I didn't get around to it (because PreCure).

I recall at least two instances of the Yamato sustaining major losses. In both instances it s mentioned only for dramatic effect and doesn't change the way the ship operates at all. You'd have thought they'd miss not having anyone to man all those positions but nope!

Well there were people with names or something, that's the only reason why they played it for dramatics.

jgminto

She is pretty awesome. I'm not even sure who her competition as best teacher would be if you think about the past year.

She might be as awesome as the teacher from Nogizaki.

ibu2h5dWbQjx9j.gif

Can't beat sexy sensei

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolution Ship Yamato EP3

Daaayuuuumm, can't wait to see
how the Gamilan dude on pluto will respond to the Yamato singlehandedly destroying the floating continent

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I dunno what it resembles or anything but god she's cute.
Also is this the season of twin-tails because that would be perfectly ok!

To be honest she is one of two of the most vapid main characters I've ever seen in an anime, and the other one is the male main character in the same anime.

The anime just seems like a vehicle for the girl's older sister (which I found hilarious that she was the ojou-sama of the school) and the male mc's little sister.

sonicmj1

I liked the headband girl who only existed to man the radar stations when Yuki or Yurika was busy with the plot

Every station had a backup person to man it while people were busy with the plot. Backup navigator was so earnest!

Crazy crossover anime theory of the day: Space Battleship Yamato and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!

Consider the following: The mystical power that Jonathan and Joseph Joestar use is called the Ripple in most English translations. But what's the Japanese word for it? Hadou (波動). And what power does the Yamato use to fly through the galaxy and shoot things? Wave Motion, or in another language, Hadou. A ripple is wave motion! They're the same thing!

What this means is that the Iscandarians developed a way to produce a ripple with technology, harnessing the free ripple energy of the stars to allow for FTL travel.

Thanks, Iscandar, for giving Earth the technology for the Ripple Core and the Ripple Gun!

Jex

I agree with both of you really.

I was okay with it because I really think at that point in the show it had really earned one or two just inexplicably coincidental things and, well, you know, it's an 80s space opera, sometimes stuff just happens.

Of course the real reason it happened that way was because
that's what happened in the original.

Conan-san

I still wish things had remained at 2.0 awesome instead. So much of the movie was people explaining nothing to Shinji and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring elaboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorate piano fuckery.=.

Don't forget it's also it's the movie about how Shinji growing a pair and do something not for the sake of acknowledgement from his father but for someone he actually cares about (outside of SRW@3) will fuck everything up.

To wit, Shinji must always be miserable.

sonicmj1

Ryu's fireball is also the Hadouken :p Yamato x Jojo x Street Fighter all in the same universe confirmed?

I'd be on board, but the existence of the Dark Hadou seems to go against everything the other two universes establish about the power of the Ripple.

On the other hand, according to Wikipedia...
Furthermore, Ryu's Hadouken energy attack was based on the wave motion gun from the titular spacecraft of the sci-fi anime series Space Battleship Yamato, which Nishiyama watched during the seventies.

!!

Ah the feeeeeeels
Kiddy grade music was probably too hard to Top i guess.

Gundam 00 had some really interesting ideas and themes surrounding war that no gundam show has really dealt with. The idea of a "war deterrent terrorist group" was really fascinating.
And this is why i can't dislike the show entirely they really tried a new approach .. they did make some mistake along the way ..

Of course, all this was ditched for strange cloning and alien based bullshit later on.
They really went too far in that direction

duckroll

Ryu's fireball is also the Hadouken :p Yamato x Jojo x Street Fighter all in the same universe confirmed?

Okay, here's the deal:

- Humanity first discovered the art of Hamon ages ago in Jojo history to fight against immortal superbeings who might or might not be aliens from the Large Magellanic Cloud.

- This was in fact an form of drawing out the wave energy from all life, which is the same basis of the technology behind the Wave Motion Engine developed by the Ischandar empire.

- But with the dawn of Stands, humanity abandoned Hamon, and instead used a flashy new power instead.

- Decades later, Ryu is one of the only current generation practitioners of the art, which has greatly degraded in power from days of old because of a lack of interest from the martial arts work.

RIP.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yamato the Space Battleship ep4

The first
personal battle for the crew of the Yamato, also the shipping has started D:

The gray-haired girl realllly wants to be a pilot, doesn't she

Strike the blood 13
I don't really get why spatial distortions would be limited to doors especially in anime. Its a technical point in games but in anime, there isn't a problem like that

Caladrius

I need to get back to Jojo. Damn thee school schedule!

It's a classic (I guess by now), but there's always Gravitation.

Already read and saw it.I didn't like Gravitation. The will-they-or-won't-they plot didn't mandate some 8 volumes to play out, so the whole thing felt like it was at a standstill until close to the very end. I stuck with it in the hopes that there might be a massive payoff (and that the main pairing would become a bit more interesting), but the ending wasn't good enough to justify the buildup. The anime fixed the pacing considerably, at least, and I ended up finding that okay.

If Super Lovers!, Konya mo Nemurenai, or Otokogokoro (franchise), ever get anime.

Otokogokoro might work well.

jediyoshi

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2

gBhLJoM.png

ssLs1OB.png

G'damn, their uniforms are so on point it hurts.

Wish they weren't being so overt about Yuki Mori and whatever her ties are to Iscandar. Planting seeds is fine, but they're pretty much beating you over the head with it. Curious if it's just matching the pacing of the original.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Space Submarine Yamato Ep5

Bananamachines and a cliffhanger, this is pretty intense and we aren't even out of the solar system yet!

Gbraga

Let me take a minute of your time to say that Suzutan is best girl in Tokyo Ravens, not even a contest.

Last episode was pretty good, I hope they don't focus too much on bad action scenes next, please keep the magical high school stuff cause that's great.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. I think most of the endings are fitting for the kind of scenarios the show portrays. It's a show about people with various illnesses and how Ginko attempts to treat them. If everything was magically great at the end the show would feel very false, but instead Mushishi has a more grounded look at what the consequences of such events would be and often that leads to some melancholy places. As such I feel that most of the endings feel like a natural consequence of the story explored within the episode.

Normally I would agree but this episode was pretty much the only one that breaks that tone.
The sister just randomly shows up with no real intervention on the part of the characters. It's a little too happy and sort of unearned especially when you compare it to the other episodes such as the star gazing one.

Log horizon - 15

This episode was a little less entertaining than the others but it was still quite good.
It also had some weird shots here and there but it stayed watchable.

Now we can finally start the "return to the goblin king arc"

Next episode will be politics , drama and fighting ..... can't wait.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, this is very much the common opinion on Inari Konkon Koi Iroha. Although I'm also interested in
Akemi's crush on Keiko and if Keiko's going to stay weirded out by that

I do wonder why the anime adaptation dropped the detail about Yamada that she's sexually frustrated and masturbates as much if not (way) more than your average guy who has access to internet.

I dont think it was necessary. We can already tell from the getgo this is one frustrated and naive little lady.

To be honest she is one of two of the most vapid main characters I've ever seen in an anime, and the other one is the male main character in the same anime.

The anime just seems like a vehicle for the girl's older sister (which I found hilarious that she was the ojou-sama of the school) and the male mc's little sister.

thats what Mashiro is for. She is the show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Golden Time 01-02

This show is seriously awesome. Way more awesome than I could have ever imagined a JC Staff, Chiaki Kon directed anime that didn't involve boys kissing to ever possibly be. There's like a love polygon going on here with some potential and the MC obviously has some sort of shady past that they haven't touched on yet. Also Kouko is hot. Waifu material!

And yet I can't shake this uneasy feeling that the show is going to inevitably suck given who is working on it. Guess I'll find out for myself this weekend.

Golden Time 01-02

This show is seriously awesome. Way more awesome than I could have ever imagined a JC Staff, Chiaki Kon directed anime that didn't involve boys kissing to ever possibly be. There's like a love polygon going on here with some potential and the MC obviously has some sort of shady past that they haven't touched on yet. Also Kouko is hot. Waifu material!

And yet I can't shake this uneasy feeling that the show is going to inevitably suck given who is working on it. Guess I'll find out for myself this weekend.

On 1st highlight: LAWLZ

On 2nd highlight: it depends how easily you give up on the show based on the 1st highlight. Some of the peepz watching stopped but a sizable amount of us are still going.

cajunator

Banned
Ah the feeeeeeels
Kiddy grade music was probably too hard to Top i guess.

And this is why i can't dislike the show entirely they really tried a new approach .. they did make some mistake along the way ..

They really went too far in that direction

Yeah the OP/ED of Kiddy GRade is pretty great. Corvy couldnt stop humming the OP.
Ill post it again for him :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnmbrSfefi8

Golden Time 01-02

Youll hate a certain element almost assuredly, but how much you love Koko will determine if you keep going or not because she isnt the problem.

jediyoshi

Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols

nOsEc9E.png

CjJDtXN.png

WAKE UP, GIRLS! I'M BACK IN!

Suddenly the first episode makes a lot more sense. Seems pretty ballsy they'd use up all of their origin story for the movie since that's probably the 'safest' story you could tell. Still a fan of them grounding it a bit more. Straight up shots of textboard threads and overweight dudes who are a little too into idols.

Hope manager makes her way back into the show.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Log Horizon Episode 15
Lots of fun this episode, until it gets real at the end,
wonder whats up with rudy, does he not really exist? Maybe thats why it looks like he dies in the opening.

Nafe

Hidamari Sketch 03

That reminds me. I haven't seen Hidamari yet but would like to, so this question is open to both yourself and really anybody who's reading and knows. I think I remember someone mentioning that the first season of Hidamari Sketch was a little bit different compared to the followup seasons?

It looks like there's a widescreen version for BD and the TV version was cropped? Is this the only difference and is it true that it was just the first season?

Well I must confess that back when it was airing, I dropped Gurren Lagann partway through due to a bout of boredom but Heroic Age was one show I made time to watch each week.

It just struck me as a show with a rather neat ideas for a sci-fi series with a good sense of scale that wasn't traditional mech heavy, had some rather great music in places and wasn't spoiled by having a ridiculous love triangle like every other anime under the sun. Plus it had a decent cheesy soppy ending which hit me just the right way.

The downside would be that you had Hirai faces (and bad female character design), a lot of recycled animation in places and Deineirra being a mostly non-character who just said "Age" wistfully a lot. (Also gave Mikasa from AoT her first role!)

Really, it's mostly a fairly average show but for the lack of boring character melodrama and having a sci-fi series that wasn't (technically) about giant mechs, I still rank it quite highly on my own list!

Ok. Well as kind of part of the more recent conversation in the thread that I'm getting to, I don't have any problems if you personally really enjoyed the show,haha. That's totally fine. :) I guess it just didn't resonate with me as much. I actually saw the English dub and not the original Japanese and this might have been the last show that I've seen in English. I'd have to double check my listing of shows but other than maybe seeing some English clips that people have linked to, it's been Japanese for me for years.

If you do it, I'll do it. lol

I haven't done a AOTY vote post yet so I might find some way to sneak it in there,haha.

I just listened to the first ten or fifteen minutes of your newest podcast and it sounds like you guys are going to do a bit of a AOTY as well?

火の鷹十二

Ah, forgot the twelve, yeah. Haha.

By the way, who is the headband girl who is Mori's replacement whenever Mori isn't at the bridge?

I like her. Her name is Miki Saijo and she's voiced by Satomi Moriya. Here's her character card:

jman2050

Golden Time 01-02

This show will be divisive, no question about it.

I must be weird because how I'm approaching the current narrative seems to be different from everyone else. It's certainly not Toradora, but right now I don't think that's a bad thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom