• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

What's the bad part about it? I have only flipped through some chapters, didn't really read through anything.

I was only half serious, but there's one part I like way more than the other. And the part I like most is not the main story thread.

I'm way more bother by the series being so short.

Yamada's First Time 1

Well the consensus is the same with Yamada, it'll get another chance. I mean, it doesn't really help where if we switched genders, this would have a different tone, which basically bothered something. Debatebly this probably would've hit my head too, but chances are, I'd probably would suspend my mind on that.

But man, two virgins interacting was like... one of the most awkward things I've ever witnessed, and the main female is giving me tsundere vibes. And she uses violence, so she's pretty much shit-tier to me already.

And the dude... *wants to beat my head in, too painful to witness* Gah, I'm sure it'll be hilarious when we try again later, but this didn't really go off for a good start overall.

Sasami Magical Girl Club 1

*sees art style change* WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ;A;

I mean holy shit, Misao's design is like.... what happened to her? I got a kick out of Sasami's mother asking her to die. And her father looks like one of the most miserable fucking person in the show already. Believe me Miserable Father, I am in your position in concerns to the art shift too!

*sees wrecking ball scene* *Flips the fuck out*

So like here, her parents are already aware of Sasami's abilities, Misao can apparently channel pee shadow monsters that strangely look like penises too! Washu is Washu. Ryo-Ohki is... something. This show seems very lewd already, they actually had Mihoshi running in without any pants on and for some reason
gave Misao a panty shot. Which led to me screaming "WHY"
Strangely enough, the things that made us flip out secured it for watching later because it seemed terrible on a good way. AND KIRBYAYOI WEPT

Another 1

Well this is the first show that was pretty much rejected, and won't get a second chance.

Enough said.

Gundam Build Fighters re: 1

Basically, it's staying. There were people who liked it obviously. One however, thought it was bad. But so bad that it's good. I will put up with this because it means he's interested.
And then we kept talking about if Bowl Cut Gary Oak was a girl or not. Followed with Gundam knowledge that apparently, I'm not sufficient enough here. 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket were considered as a result.

Speaking of which, how is War in the Pocket?

Virtua Fighter 1

The dub sells this, good god, now this felt in vein of what would truly be worth commentating on. How can that girl hate dumplings? Shit! Main hero is pretty swag though. Slips into kissing the girl.... AND FEEDS HER DUMPLINGS VIA MOUTH! HOW SWAG IS THAT? Sure he got hit by her, and she's kind of abusive, but hey!

I think Street Fighter 2 V was considered... but that was already on the to do list!

CorvoSol

Another 1

Well this is the first show that was pretty much rejected, and won't get a second chance.

Enough said.

Gundam Build Fighters re: 1

Basically, it's staying. There were people who liked it obviously. One however, thought it was bad. But so bad that it's good. I will put up with this because it means he's interested.
And then we kept talking about if Bowl Cut Gary Oak was a girl or not. Followed with Gundam knowledge that apparently, I'm not sufficient enough here. 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket were considered as a result.

Speaking of which, how is War in the Pocket?

Virtua Fighter 1

The dub sells this, good god, now this felt in vein of what would truly be worth commentating on. How can that girl hate dumplings? Shit! Main hero is pretty swag though. Slips into kissing the girl.... AND FEEDS HER DUMPLINGS VIA MOUTH! HOW SWAG IS THAT? Sure he got hit by her, and she's kind of abusive, but hey!

I think Street Fighter 2 V was considered... but that was already on the to do list!

War in the Pocket is amazing. I would recommend it to people who aren't even fans of mecha.

jediyoshi

Sora no Woto 9

WmVBcCW.png

It's like they suddenly realized they were behind on their pantsu shot quota.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 26

Basically Emperor Gore and his chief generals play with action figures when they're not failing to conquer the world.

cajunator

Banned
Yamada's First Time 1

Well the consensus is the same with Yamada, it'll get another chance. I mean, it doesn't really help where if we switched genders, this would have a different tone, which basically bothered something. Debatebly this probably would've hit my head too, but chances are, I'd probably would suspend my mind on that.

But man, two virgins interacting was like... one of the most awkward things I've ever witnessed, and the main female is giving me tsundere vibes. And she uses violence, so she's pretty much shit-tier to me already.

And the dude... *wants to beat my head in, too painful to witness* Gah, I'm sure it'll be hilarious when we try again later, but this didn't really go off for a good start overall.

I mean holy shit, Misao's design is like.... what happened to her? I got a kick out of Sasami's mother asking her to die. And her father looks like one of the most miserable fucking person in the show already. Believe me Miserable Father, I am in your position in concerns to the art shift too!

So like here, her parents are already aware of Sasami's abilities, Misao can apparently channel pee shadow monsters that strangely look like penises too! Washu is Washu. Ryo-Ohki is... something. This show seems very lewd already, they actually had Mihoshi running in without any pants on and for some reason
Strangely enough, the things that made us flip out secured it for watching later because it seemed terrible on a good way. AND KIRBYAYOI WEPT

B Gata H Kei is pretty funny throughout. Maybe give it a few more episodes. Its awkward as hell on purpose.

Berserk 2

Well, the good news is that it was considred good. Sadly, it didn't really appeal enough, so it's considered as a one shot. Man, the OP/ED is... rather unfitting. Do love me some Susumu Hirasawa music though
fuck them, I like it *shakes fit*

Man, it doesn't have a lot of music otherwise. Rather rare for me.

Things that disturbed them: Guts Naked Nightmare, Caska sleeping with him.

Angel Cop 1

Also staying, I think partly because of how short it was, and the dubbing was... enhancing for the most part. The gore, oh man, you don't see that often in today's anime that's for certain.

I think though.... it being short works to its advantage at least.

In terms of reaction

Virtua Fighter > Sasami Magical Girl Club = Gundam Build Fighters > Angel Cop > Yamada's First Time >= Berserk > Another.

Note: Reaction isn't entirely based on the actual quality. More on how much it is worth riffing on. Being so bad it's good helps a lot from what I noticed. I think I will consider watching Berserk on my own at least. I've been meaning to. Just watching a bit too much right now.

Sakura Trick 01

This turned out to be a really cute show. They didn't go over the top with the yuri thing like they could have. Also wow to
those physics when they were jumping between verandas XD
. I'm getting a bit tired of high school animes, but this one seems like a keeper.

Pupa 01

..................................Huh.

Engaged to the Unidentified 01

Wasn't as good as I was hoping based on the series description. I won't say it was totally boring, as some of the interactions (such as
the ones between the
older sister and soon-to-be sister-in-law
were amusing, even if they were more than a little cliché. I'll give it another episode or two to wow me before I drop it.

WORLD CONQUEST ZVEZDA PLOT IN 10 HOURS YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

War in the Pocket is amazing. I would recommend it to people who aren't even fans of mecha.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just making sure I was right when I told them that it was considered super good.

B Gata H Kei is pretty funny throughout. Maybe give it a few more episodes. Its awkward as hell on purpose.

Well we did consider giving it a second chance.

In any case, as far as I'm aware, the Pretty Sammy OVA is getting its shot next time. Don't know what I will consider afterwards though, so I'll leave it to them to decide.

cajunator

Banned
Sakura Trick 01

This turned out to be a really cute show. They didn't go over the top with the yuri thing like they could have. Also wow to
those physics when they were jumping between verandas XD
. I'm getting a bit tired of high school animes, but this one seems like a keeper.

Pupa 01

..................................Huh.

Engaged to the Unidentified 01

Wasn't as good as I was hoping based on the series description. I won't say it was totally boring, as some of the interactions (such as
the ones between the
older sister and soon-to-be sister-in-law
were amusing, even if they were more than a little cliché. I'll give it another episode or two to wow me before I drop it.

WORLD CONQUEST ZVEZDA PLOT IN 10 HOURS YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Mashiro totally makes ETTI worth watching.
Sakura Trick is well...perfect.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

At least I can comiserate with you.

Jex

Mushishi 17-

This had an uncharacteristically happy ending and it feels sorta out of place.

I'm not so sure about that. I think most of the endings are fitting for the kind of scenarios the show portrays. It's a show about people with various illnesses and how Ginko attempts to treat them. If everything was magically great at the end the show would feel very false, but instead Mushishi has a more grounded look at what the consequences of such events would be and often that leads to some melancholy places. As such I feel that most of the endings feel like a natural consequence of the story explored within the episode.

That being said, in regards to Sasami Magical Girls Club, there's definitely some contrast from the Pretty Sammy TV series. SMGC dad looks like the miserable fuck I would probably expect, and I relate to him for the wrong reasons (he could be the best character though).

However, MGPS family were like... over the top happy. Like unrealistic... and I loved it. Especially Sasami's dad, he was just so over the fucking top that it was hard not to love him.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

CGlK4MZ.png

UQiISmw.png

Picked this up from the other impressions in the thread. Haven't seen the original because I'm a dummy.

Love the art, don't even mind the cg. Some of the ship movement looks silly as hell, but I like the occasional modeling of side thrusters and that they don't go full Star Wars with it. Also, obvious waifu is 10/10

Yuki Mori is the best!

cajunator

Banned
That being said, in regards to Sasami Magical Girls Club, there's definitely some contrast from the Pretty Sammy TV series. SMGC dad looks like the miserable fuck I would probably expect, and I relate to him for the wrong reasons (he could be the best character though).

However, MGPS family were like... over the top happy. Like unrealistic... and I loved it. Especially Sasami's dad, he was just so over the fucking top that it was hard not to love him.

Oh so that was the name then.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

DANDY! *toothy smile and sparkle*

MarkusRJR

Just finished watching subbed Princess Jellyfish (recently got added to Canadian Netflix). Honestly one of my favorite shows ever now. So fucking good. I hear it sold bad, so I assume no chance of a season two? If that's the case, is the manga any good?

Is there a North American blu ray release? I'm starting to build an anime collection (only for my favorite shows though).

wonzo

Banned
Strange+ 1

It stinks.

Just finished watching subbed Princess Jellyfish (recently got added to Canadian Netflix). Honestly one of my favorite shows ever now. So fucking good. I hear it sold bad, so I assume no chance of a season two? If that's the case, is the manga any good?

Is there a North American blu ray release? I'm starting to build an anime collection (only for my favorite shows though).
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/lfOQREMMEKpnTcOnmi/browse/item/93577/4/0/0

cajunator

Banned

Yes I ended up buying it too.
My roommate recommended the show to me. Its one of her favorites.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 23

Oh shit it totally happened.

Hard to write impressions now without filling them with spoilers, but I felt like the title "One Man's War" was an apt reflection of the episode, given how nearly everyone's reasons for fighting are highlighted. I also like how at big moments, the show sometimes cuts ambient sound and dialogue and lets the mood of the music carry the scene.

If Branduil's in the middle of a sprint, I guess I should wrap it up today too.

wonzo

Banned
Kuromajo 46-47

My amazement at such a bizarre app was immediately overwhelmed by the sheer sense of dread that ep 47 probably paved the way for hundreds of kids to develop some sort of TF fetish in the future. Fucking deviantart. ._.

Theonik

I didn't say it wasn't foreshadowed, I said it wasn't well-established.
As i mentioned, the security forces were only seen in Episode 9 and their numbers were only glimpsed, so I wasn't convinced that they would've been large enough to take over the ship; secondly, there was little to no discussion of the Izumo plan's existence or of any dissent regarding the Yamato plan to the point where I believed that a mutiny really could've occured, since most of what we saw was the bridge crew being mission-focused. While the ringleaders etc. discussed the plan, and there was a lot of meeting in darkened rooms stuff, I didn't feel it was conveyed that the muscle behind the rebellion either existed or was convincingly on board.
Like the security officer said before "Security doesn't have anything to do when things are calm on the ship" or something along those lines. You did see some dissent at points too and it was clear things were happening on the background. As for the size of the security forces, it's not really important. They are the people with assault weapons on the ship and they only aimed to capture key areas of the ship and officers for their Coup d'etat.

What are you duwang, Stahp.

Jintor

Like the security officer said before "Security doesn't have anything to do when things are calm on the ship" or something along those lines. You did see some dissent at points too and it was clear things were happening on the background. As for the size of the security forces, it's not really important. They are the people with assault weapons on the ship and they only aimed to capture key areas of the ship and officers for their Coup d'etat.

Eh, it mattered enough that I didn't think it well-established, but whatever. I just think it could've been done better.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 20

Well, that escalated quickly.
RIP catgirl photo guy. RIP Domel. You really should have won earlier; I don't know why Desler's plan couldn't wait 10 more seconds for you to destroy the Yamato first, but that's plot armor for you.

Mr.Jeff

Mushishi 21-
So I actually really liked this episode because it broke the routine in a lot of ways. Shit goes wrong from the getgo and keeps spiraling all the way down. I also thought this episode was disturbing in a way some of the other episodes attempted and didn't really pull off. Some of Ginko's dialogue in this was also really good as the Mushi had tried to argue back, which was nice.
Aside from being downright terrifying in places, this is probably one of my favourite episodes. While it still continues on the, meet people with mushi problems > aid them > move on, the particular type of mushi shows again how widely difference the types are. Not to mention
it gaining enough sentience to talk to people

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 24

And the final leg of our journey begins.

Once again, the show has a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time, and it compresses time nicely. I like the quick cuts to show rumors spreading around the ship, and even without a clear calendar, there was a firm sense of "waiting".

inlpherboxaTp.jpg

Good thing we brought bathing suits on our trip to space

Unlike a lot of other twists in this show, it feels really convenient that
Mamoru somehow made it to Iscandar and died there. There's really nothing setting this up, as all evidence pointed to him having died on that moon ages ago. There isn't even anything hinting at Gamillas having taken a human prisoner at any point. So the question isn't just how he made it there, but why does it matter? Even if it has something to do with that brief glimpse of the Navigation Computer pod, why should I care?
It just felt like a cheap stab at emotion in a show I expect better from.

ihpfJe9Bm1Mqw.jpg

I understood that reference.

We're gonna make it to the end.

Nordicus

I was only half serious, but there's one part I like way more than the other. And the part I like most is not the main story thread.
Yeah, this is very much the common opinion on Inari Konkon Koi Iroha. Although I'm also interested in
Akemi's crush on Keiko and if Keiko's going to stay weirded out by that

I do wonder why the anime adaptation dropped the detail about Yamada that she's sexually frustrated and masturbates as much if not (way) more than your average guy who has access to internet.

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 24

Mamoru somehow made it to Iscandar and died there. There's really nothing setting this up, as all evidence pointed to him having died on that moon ages ago. There isn't even anything hinting at Gamillas having taken a human prisoner at any point. So the question isn't just how he made it there, but why does it matter? Even if it has something to do with that brief glimpse of the Navigation Computer pod, why should I care?

As there's quite a few individual points there that are worth addressing I'll trying through them one by one:

"There's really nothing setting this up, as all evidence pointed to him having died on that moon ages ago. " - Well, I'd actually say all evidence pointed towards him being killed when his ship appeared to blow up in space but low and behold it crash landed somehow! I don't think it necessarily matters that he didn't die there because you can just have a 'twist' appear without any foreshadowing occasionally.

"There isn't even anything hinting at Gamillas having taken a human prisoner at any point." - That's just not true! The robots attempted to capture Yuki as soon as they found here in the ruins of Mamoru's ship! There's just never many opportunities for Gamilans to capture humans as it's nearly all ship to ship combat as opposed actual land combat. Nothing about there move to capture Mamoru is odd.

The only thing that's incredibly convenient is that he made it to Iscandar. There's no explaining that, really. But, you know, that's because it's a story I guess and they are built on that kind thing!

Theonik

Actually
there was never any evidence that he died on that moon since there was no body. The greater likelihood would have been that he was jettisoned into space but even then his sidearm was still on board and would have been holstered at the time of such an event so is unlikely to have fallen off. Furthermore, there was a distinct lack of dead Yukikaze crew members except for the one that probably did die before they were captured.
You are correct though in that the twist was very convenient and probably shouldn't have existed.
He just so happens to have survived, and just so happens to be captured, and the transport just so happens to break down near Garmillas and just so happens to crash on Iskandar, and he happens to be the lone survivor. None of these are impossible or inconsistent with anything else that happens in the show. (except for the fact the Yukikaze seems to have exploded iirc yet here it is crash landed) it's just a laughably unlikely sting of co-incidence. It's drawn from the original though. It's a better outcome than him being a-ok when the Yamato got there and hooking up with Starsha to make space babies to liven up Iskandar. (he still managed to pull that off somehow)

Edit: Fuck I forgot to mention
Garmillas never having the opportunity to get samples of humanity which is also consistent with humans never having seen Garmillans due to the nature of the conflict and Schultz actively trying to capture humans.
thanks Jexhius!
P.S.
The AI soldiers were after Yamato specifically for interrogation there is no sign of them actually sampling humanity but whatever it's consistent!

Jintor

I agree with both of you really.

I was okay with it because I really think at that point in the show it had really earned one or two just inexplicably coincidental things and, well, you know, it's an 80s space opera, sometimes stuff just happens.

sonicmj1

Yeah, it's really not a big deal. Just awfully convenient.

Space Battleship Yamato 25

Great episode, great payoffs to a lot of stuff. This moment was so badass I kind of lost it for a second.

Now that Desler seems to have finally bit the dust, it's worth reflecting on his character. I thought he was a good villain, calculating and clever while being crazy enough to be worth fearing. His aims can sound lofty and noble, but he doesn't care what the means he achieves them by are as long as they give him the power to enforce peace under his iron fist. The same flair for the theatrical that made him a good orator, or convinced him to put a trap door button in his throne room, is what pushed him to do crazy stuff at the end to achieve some kind of poetic rebirth for his empire. Godspeed, you crazy bastard.

Theonik

My biggest actual beef with Yamato storytelling consistency is the infinite supply of ammunition the Yamato seems to have, which can actually be explained by us not seeing every event in the year long journey but much more importantly. The Yamato appears to have infinite crew members. Seriously they seem to have lost the equivalent of a small country during their journey. How does that not affect smooth operations on board at all.

Branduil

My biggest actual beef with Yamato storytelling consistency is the infinite supply of ammunition the Yamato seems to have, which can actually be explained by us not seeing every event in the year long journey but much more importantly. The Yamato appears to have infinite crew members. Seriously they seem to have lost the equivalent of a small country during their journey. How does that not affect smooth operations on board at all.

The weapons can be explained by the magic infinite energy reactor inside the ship. The crew, not so much.

Theonik

The weapons can be explained by the magic infinite energy reactor inside the ship. The crew, not so much.
Only explains beam weapons, the Yamato also uses an array of missile launchers of which they launch at least 100 each battle. And also *Yamato 25 spoiler*
Actual shells, favourite part of that episode actually.
I mean the weapon part doesn't bother me as much because you can imagine they resupplied along the way off-screen miraculously.
It's the people I'm having a real problem with.

duckroll

Doesn't the show account for losses after major battles? I don't recall a ton of crew members dying. There are casualties, but usually it's more about how there are a ton of injured people, and I guess with the amazing medical advances in 2199, they... get better quickly? Lol.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kuromajo 46-47

My amazement at such a bizarre app was immediately overwhelmed by the sheer sense of dread that ep 47 probably paved the way for hundreds of kids to develop some sort of TF fetish in the future. Fucking deviantart. ._.
The more the merrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom