• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vecks

Log Horizon 15

And holy crap at
Rudy being unable to be added to her friend list. I wonder what the deal is. A genuinely interesting mystery. Is he a one in a million NPC that actually has the ability of adventurers?

It does look like that's what they're hinting at. That would be another reason he won't join a guild. And maybe that's why his "death" in the opening looks rather significant.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rtzZ5BQ.jpg
art

LordCanti

My SHAFT senses are tingling...what's going on in her..

OOooooOooo

Queuing it up.

Edit: Lude Seifuku Loli is out too?! It's like Christmas.

survivor

Banned
Nisekoi 1

Shaft's shitty art is tolerable when the writing is good, but since Nisekoi is one of the worst things humanity has put out then there is no point to continue watching.

Log Horizon 15

And holy crap at
Rudy being unable to be added to her friend list. I wonder what the deal is. A genuinely interesting mystery. Is he a one in a million NPC that actually has the ability of adventurers?

It could be but it also seemed like he had memories of the real world when he was talking with Isuzu at the campfire.

Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols

http://i.imgur.com/nOsEc9E.png[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/CjJDtXN.png[/img

WAKE UP, GIRLS! I'M BACK IN!

Suddenly the first episode makes a lot more sense. Seems pretty ballsy they'd use up all of their origin story for the movie since that's probably the 'safest' story you could tell. Still a fan of them grounding it a bit more. Straight up shots of textboard threads and overweight dudes who are a little too into idols.

Hope manager makes her way back into the show.[/QUOTE]

Same with you,i watch Wake Up, Girls! TV episode first and think it's pretty shit
But after watched Seven Idols,i changed my mind
They give me feel...something like "i want they can success"
If yamakan can keep the feeling,i will pre-order the BD

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
World Conquest 1

Wow this is good. A-1 continues to be my favorite studio (as long as I ignore that one thing they did).

Also, Natasha (the orange and black-wearing witch character) is real best girl. It's just too bad I probably can't post a picture because any picture of Natasha would likely be NSFW. The fact that she's voiced by Kana Hanazawa only reinforces her best-ness.

Can't wait to see where the story goes with this one.

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 2

Opening: Love it. Actually unsure if prefer this or the one from the first season.
Ending: Pretty good.

No one is ever going to get that right on the first try.

Chiwa Saito doing wonders again as Uomi. I may be more of a fan of Mitsuba and Shino, but I would still be delighted to see her throw her hand in the Tsuda gauntlet.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 14

Great OP and ED. Nice to see
Alex
in it.

For the match, Serin is putting up a fight but you see the power of Momoi.
She figured out Kuroko's Vanishing Drive
Poor Kuroko getting crushed by Aomine once again.

fertygo

Saki : Side-A - 16

Pretty good warping up round, the last hand kinda underwhelming because its just some
altering winning hand thing
, I expect something that more badass..

Overall this east semi-final is easily my favorite match in Saki, The Teru round is frigging awesome and very un-orthodox depiction of Mahjong match that masterfully executed using the superpower nature of the series, but Teru teammate is very underwhelming though, [
B]they blow 100k point lead.. what a bunch of scrubs.[/B]

Btw I don't see anything that deny Achiga being a best team, sure Toki from Senriyama is unarguably the best character with her effort for the crew successful attempt from Planet Number Two of the M-344/G system, but I don't like the rest of her team. I like Shindouji more with Subara and the superior yuri couple.. forget Shiraitoudai, like I said aside from Teru they're bunch of scrub. For me Achiga team playing the most interesting brand of Mahjong to watch from 4 team with Kuro super nasty power, Arata's tactically sound Mahjong and Shizuno's disabling power.

Now off to the other side with The Nationals!

Tenumi

Banned
Magical Warfare: 01

Not too bad... not really all that noteworthy though. Still, seams like an interesting watch, so I'll continue with it. Anticipating more action, hopefully.

Nordicus

Its adorable.
Nukoduke is adorable. This is nothing. The absence of anything

how does it not work?

It's maybe not in the same league as the Denpa Onna cut but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Completely uninteresting imagery even without Denpa Onna comparison. Not that I expect this show to be constant eye food all-the-fucking-time even with SHAFT making it. It's just not really a giffable shot imo because of how flat the art is, if you pardon my lack of better suiting adjectives.

Comparing anything to goddess Erio is unfair regardless of context.
Whatchu talking about? Maekawa is the one true goddess.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 19

Bath and backstory episode. I'm pretty sure that those beer cans constitute copyright infringement, unless they discretely misspelled Heineken and Budweiser without me noticing. Well anyway, Melissa's still the best.

Also I don't get the idea of using the same song for the OP but replacing the lyrics. Just use a new song if you want new lyrics. Or use the old song over the new OP.

LordCanti

Nisekoi 01

Based Shaft. I have a soft spot for yakuza-children-who-totally-don't-want-to-succeed-their-fathers, and the voice acting is great. Will watch.

Sekai Seifuku 01

oFHfwKv.png

Ghale loli fuhrer!

Vecks

It could be but it also seemed like he had memories of the real world when he was talking with Isuzu at the campfire.

Yes, there was that too. Not sure where it's all going, but I wonder if it's possible, with all that talk in the previous episode about memories being lost on death, that his memories of the real world were reconstructed from other adventurers who died.

Mononoke

Banned
Hey guys. Before I make my latest post, I just wanted to make sure my posts are appropriate for this thread. I know most of the discussion here is about what is out this season/year. And most of my replies are about old films, as I'm new to anime and am catching up on the classics first. So hopefully I'm not being too annoying. But on that note, I also want to thank you guys for your kindness. I literally know NO ONE in my life that likes Anime. In fact, when I was in film school, a lot of people looked down on it. So I really have no one to talk to about this stuff. So I just appreciate having a place to just voice my opinions, or to get things off my chest about something I'm really passionate about.

That out of the way,

Nothing really new to say, but I got Porco Rosso on Blu Ray for my birthday. I didn't even know it was out yet in Japan, so when I found out I was extremely giddy. I also didn't know that I could just make an account on Amazon.jp and order stuff through it! It was way cheaper than buying through U.S. Amazon or Ebay. Anyways, my birthday is on the 15th next week, so I bought it because the shipping was estimated to deliver it on my Birthday. But to my surprise, it randomly got delivered 4 days early!

Long story short, I watched it again last night, and I'm so in love with this film. It was always my personal favorite of Miyzaki's, but this was my first time watching it in HD (and my second time watching it). And it just reaffirmed my absolute love for this story. I think outside of Mononoke, this is easily Miyzaki's most mature film. I love how it's a throw back to the old romantic/European action adventure films. Porco is such a cool character, and everything about the film is beautiful and romantic. I also have to say, I don't always love Miyzaki's endings. But to me, Porco Ross's ending is just perfect. I love how the last shot tells you everything you need to know. It's also a movie I feel, is really rewarding when you think about the themes.

Anyways, that is all. It was just a real treat for me. I now own every single Ghibli film that is available on Blu Ray (still waiting desperately for Spirited Away to get a Blu Ray release) - except Arrietty and Tales from Earthsea (they are also the only two Ghibli films I haven't seen. Heard mixed things about them, and have kind of avoided them). Next up on my list of Blu Ray to watch is Akira and Tekkon Kinkreet. I watched about 40 min of Akira, but was kind of bored. I hope the film picks up better. It was a mistake to watch it a 3am though, so kind of my fault.

All that out of the way, I also experienced for the first time "fan service" in Anime. Well, actually Space Dandy last week had a lot of that. But since I've stuck strictly to Anime film, I haven't really seen it that much. But I saw this Anime called "Highschool of the Dead". It was completely by accident, but after I saw the first episode, I decided to just watch the rest of the short 12 episodes. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I actually did like elements of the show. I mean, it's a Zombie show. Zombies + over the top violence is always fun. Some of the characters were actually pretty cool too. But my god, the fan service was so...I don't even know lmao. Keep in mind, I'm totally new to Anime. Only started watching this year, and I haven't seen any anime TV shows in my life (Except Cowboy Beebop, which my brother made me watch years ago). I guess I'm not opposed to fan service if it's done in a jokey manner. Like they are making fun of it. But yeah, I can't say I cared much for it in this show.

Is this considered a crappy show? Is fan service like that in most Anime TV shows? I guess I kind of struggle with it, because I come from a family with a lot of women in it. And I've always been raised with semi-feminist values etc. It's kind of a touchy subject I suppose, because I don't want to judge another culture. And at least for me, I'm also more lenient when it comes to art vs. real life. But yeah, I dunno.

Anyways, I'll close this out by asking for a favor. Can you guys recommend me what you think is the best Anime TV shows? Now that I finally have more free time, I want to start watching TV shows vs. film. I really don't have any preference for genre so I'm down for anything, as long as its quality. The only thing I'll say is, I kind of want shows that have an ending, or an ending in sight. I don't want a show that is like 300 + episodes, and is still going. I guess I also would like it if the anime was cinematic (but that doesn't have to be 100% the case).

Hajime no Ippo Rising 14

And with that, Umezawa has given up his screentime
or at least a great portion of it.
And now Itagaki is here to fill in.

Should probably prep up for the second big fight of this season.

cajunator

Banned
Nukoduke is adorable. This is nothing. The absence of anything

Completely uninteresting imagery even without Denpa Onna comparison. Not that I expect this show to be constant eye food all-the-fucking-time even with SHAFT making it. It's just not really a giffable shot imo because of how flat the art is, if you pardon my lack of better suiting adjectives.

Whatchu talking about? Maekawa is the one true goddess.

I just looked up this Nukoduke and I very nearly died. It needs to be an anime.

Hey guys. Before I make my latest post, I just wanted to make sure my posts are appropriate for this thread. I know most of the discussion here is about what is out this season/year. And most of my replies are about old films, as I'm new to anime and am catching up on the classics first. So hopefully I'm not being too annoying. But on that note, I also want to thank you guys for your kindness. I literally know NO ONE in my life that likes Anime. In fact, when I was in film school, a lot of people looked down on it. So I really have no one to talk to about this stuff. So I just appreciate having a place to just voice my opinions, or to get things off my chest about something I'm really passionate about.

That out of the way,

Nothing really new to say, but I got Porco Rosso on Blu Ray for my birthday. I didn't even know it was out yet in Japan, so when I found out I was extremely giddy. I also didn't know that I could just make an account on Amazon.jp and order stuff through it! It was way cheaper than buying through U.S. Amazon or Ebay. Anyways, my birthday is on the 15th next week, so I bought it because the shipping was estimated to deliver it on my Birthday. But to my surprise, it randomly got delivered 4 days early!

Long story short, I watched it again last night, and I'm so in love with this film. It was always my personal favorite of Miyzaki's, but this was my first time watching it in HD (and my second time watching it). And it just reaffirmed my absolute love for this story. I think outside of Mononoke, this is easily Miyzaki's most mature film. I love how it's a throw back to the old romantic/European action adventure films. Porco is such a cool character, and everything about the film is beautiful and romantic. I also have to say, I don't always love Miyzaki's endings. But to me, Porco Ross's ending is just perfect. I love how the last shot tells you everything you need to know. It's also a movie I feel, is really rewarding when you think about the themes.

Anyways, that is all. It was just a real treat for me. I now own every single Ghibli film that is available on Blu Ray (still waiting desperately for Spirited Away to get a Blu Ray release) - except Arrietty and Tales from Earthsea (they are also the only two Ghibli films I haven't seen. Heard mixed things about them, and have kind of avoided them). Next up on my list of Blu Ray to watch is Akira and Tekkon Kinkreet. I watched about 40 min of Akira, but was kind of bored. I hope the film picks up better. It was a mistake to watch it a 3am though, so kind of my fault.

All that out of the way, I also experienced for the first time "fan service" in Anime. Well, actually Space Dandy last week had a lot of that. But since I've stuck strictly to Anime film, I haven't really seen it that much. But I saw this Anime called "Highschool of the Dead". It was completely by accident, but after I saw the first episode, I decided to just watch the rest of the short 12 episodes. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I actually did like elements of the show. I mean, it's a Zombie show. Zombies + over the top violence is always fun. Some of the characters were actually pretty cool too. But my god, the fan service was so...I don't even know lmao. Keep in mind, I'm totally new to Anime. Only started watching this year, and I haven't seen any anime TV shows in my life (Except Cowboy Beebop, which my brother made me watch years ago). I guess I'm not opposed to fan service if it's done in a jokey manner. Like they are making fun of it. But yeah, I can't say I cared much for it in this show.

Is this considered a crappy show? Is fan service like that in most Anime TV shows? I guess I kind of struggle with it, because I come from a family with a lot of women in it. And I've always been raised with semi-feminist values etc. It's kind of a touchy subject I suppose, because I don't want to judge another culture. And at least for me, I'm also more lenient when it comes to art vs. real life. But yeah, I dunno.

Anyways, I'll close this out by asking for a favor. Can you guys recommend me what you think is the best Anime TV shows? Now that I finally have more free time, I want to start watching TV shows vs. film. I really don't have any preference for genre so I'm down for anything, as long as its quality. The only thing I'll say is, I kind of want shows that have an ending, or an ending in sight. I don't want a show that is like 300 + episodes, and is still going. I guess I also would like it if the anime was cinematic (but that doesn't have to be 100% the case).

any anime discussion is welcome here, especially classic anime.
Highschool of the Dead is generally seen as fun brainless harmless entertainment and generally favorably viewed.

I would recommend stuff like Haibane Renmei, Kinos Journey, Tsuritama, Non Non Biyori, Eccentric Family, Millennium Actress, that sorta stuff.

Narag

Consider the seasonal threads as doubling for a general anime thread so feel free to post away.

World Conquest Zvezda Plot 01

Yes! It was every bit as good as I was hoping. Easily one of my favorite new shows. This was really the only new show I cared about CR adding to their lineup. Vindication! I'm loving the character designs. And how the General always has a desert with him. XD

Mononoke

Banned
I just looked up this Nukoduke and I very nearly died. It needs to be an anime.

any anime discussion is welcome here, especially classic anime.
Highschool of the Dead is generally seen as fun brainless harmless entertainment and generally favorably viewed.

I would recommend stuff like Haibane Renmei, Kinos Journey, Tsuritama, Non Non Biyori, Eccentric Family, Millennium Actress, that sorta stuff.

Yeah, that's how I kind of approached it. I thought it was over the top fun, I just wasn't sure how I felt about the fan service. I think it can be funny when done right. Guess it was just kind of shock to me, as it was the first time I had seen it so blatant and in your face as the show. I guess I approached it the way I do Grind House style movies. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll make a list like I did with films last time I asked you guys.

Consider the seasonal threads as doubling for a general anime thread so feel free to post away.

Awesome, you guys always make me feel so welcome. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom