• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
That reminds me. I haven't seen Hidamari yet but would like to, so this question is open to both yourself and really anybody who's reading and knows. I think I remember someone mentioning that the first season of Hidamari Sketch was a little bit different compared to the followup seasons?

It looks like there's a widescreen version for BD and the TV version was cropped? Is this the only difference and is it true that it was just the first season?

Ok. Well as kind of part of the more recent conversation in the thread that I'm getting to, I don't have any problems if you personally really enjoyed the show,haha. That's totally fine. :) I guess it just didn't resonate with me as much. I actually saw the English dub and not the original Japanese and this might have been the last show that I've seen in English. I'd have to double check my listing of shows but other than maybe seeing some English clips that people have linked to, it's been Japanese for me for years.

I haven't done a AOTY vote post yet so I might find some way to sneak it in there,haha.

I just listened to the first ten or fifteen minutes of your newest podcast and it sounds like you guys are going to do a bit of a AOTY as well?

Ah, forgot the twelve, yeah. Haha.

I like her. Her name is Miki Saijo and she's voiced by Satomi Moriya. Here's her character card:

Watch Hidasketch! watch it watch it! *bounces

JoeFu

Banned
Log Horizon 15

wow this made me yearn for the days when I played WoW. Really loved this episode and finally no more time wasted on the n00bs training hopefully.
Also Rudy
the dog is a person of the land maybe?

also murloc raid lol

cajunator

Banned
I really cant relate to the whole MMO thing but out of all the MMO shows, the only two to really strike a chord with me so far have been Accel World and Log Horizon. The others have been aggravating at best.

Log Horizon 15

Ech.

I'm glad the little kids dungeon is done, I basically skipped the whole way through, except for Rudy. Because he's awesome. "Ah-miss Isuzu!"

So is Rudy a ghost or an NPC/Person of the world? I assume that's why he can't be added to friends list

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 15:

So at last the Junior Guild Members finally get their episode in focus as they finally get tired of sucking and sit down to properly learn raid tactics. Meanwhile Shiroe and Crusty have their little interludes; basically it is their turn to have little character bits while not advancing the plot too much. Some people might call this episode filler since it is not advancing the main story all that much for the most part, there people are wrong. Episodes like this are really what elevates Log Horizon, not just the excellent world building but we are getting to learn about the Juniors as people, I think my favorite bit of the episode was watching Rudy and Isuzu interact with each other around the campfire.
Right before, a louder but less revealing hint about his true nature as a Person of the Land is dropped. We end things by learning that another MMO mechanic has been retained, Events still happen, and it looks like the Juniors are stuck right in the blast zone of the Goblin KIng's merman forces.

CorvoSol

Don't forget it's also it's the movie about how Shinji growing a pair and do something not for the sake of acknowledgement from his father but for someone he actually cares about (outside of SRW@3) will fuck everything up.

To wit, Shinji must always be miserable.

Shinji is like the Peter Parker of anime that way.

Kettch

I didn't know Shaft was doing the Nisekoi adaptation. And Kana Hanazawa voicing Onodera? This just gets better and better.

jman2050

Nisekoi 1

Holy crap, this is so so so so much SHAFTier than I was expecting. Like, random quick cuts, nonsensical architecture, elaborate unnecessary background/foreground elements, fantastic and beautiful looking animated pieces interspersed with stills and wide POV, the works. And yes. oh yes, even
headtilts.
And I loved it all.

Chitoge best girl so far obviously. KanaHana is going to do her damndest to make me actually like Onodera for once, but it's not going to work I tell ya. Overall I like all the voice acting so far.

So yeah, everything went better than expected.

Nisekoi Episode 1 - The Promise
tumblr_mz8z53GBfn1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mz8z53GBfn1qbxqfpo2_500.png

They made it far more exciting at times then the manga even gets and their usual visual genutsus stuff being present to make some scenes really interesting (though all those sparkles and such whenever Chitoge had glamorous scenes kind of made me chuckle). Cooking master Raku part at the start was my favorite moment if we can get more of those.

Onodera, Shu, and Raku all have perfect voices. Opening scene with the locket history was my favorite sequence.

fertygo

Saki : Side-A - 14

Unlike her coach, Arata is a clutch. This 4th round is rather awesome because all player is cold-headed and not too reliant to superpower or crazy specific tile pattern.

Theonik

World Conquest Zvezda Plot 01
So far so good. The sakuga is quite strong in this one as is the lewd.
World conquering lolis? Yes please.
The opening couple of minutes were quite good too albeit done many times over.
They were going to anhilate you a week without dinner isn't that harsh baby.

cajunator

Banned
World Conquest Zvezda Plot 01
So far so good. The sakuga is quite strong in this one as is the lewd.
World conquering lolis? Yes please.
The opening couple of minutes were quite good too albeit done many times over.
They were going to anhilate you a week without dinner isn't that harsh baby.

Oh man. Cant wait to watch this. Those character designs are something else.

Jarmel

Banned
Imocho-2
ibdXqt8faIOkyy.jpg

This was a fantastic storyboarding shot as the hermit crab in the background is a reflection of Mitsuki's personality.
This is already establishing itself as a masterpiece. You can find the satirical elements dripping right off the storyboards. What this show does so well is characterize the relationship Mitsuki has with her brother. Compare this with My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute or OniAi , and the satirical elements become crystal clear. This show excels at dissecting the imouto culture in Japan by depicting the female lead as a socially dysfunctional woman suffering from possibly Interstitial Cytisis or Urinary Incontinence. Instead of trying to glorify Mitsuki, the show goes to great lengths instead to degrade her. Mitsuki can't go a single day without having some sort of bladder issue. While many ero shows might have tried to pander some sort of urine fetish, this show however examines the social anguish such a disorder would cause in real life. The show even tackles suicide due to social anxiety. There are many scenes that reinforce this motif such as the dinner after school in which the stew has a yellowish color or the broken eggs in the supermarket. I love how it interweaves this with the primary love angle.
iVrv87VmAQRVq.jpg

This shot in the ED shows that not even death will stop Hiyori this time.
The show also overlays this heartbreaking tale of possibly unrequited love. Hiyori doesn't truly understand or know how to relate her feelings to Yuya so she conveys it in the same way she got hit by a truck, bluntly and with force. Due to her amnesia, she can't properly communicate her feelings in a healthy manner and so relays them through sexual means. This can be viewed as social commentary on either how sex isn't a proper substitute for conveying your feelings to the opposite party or sex being used as a pathway into normal relationships.
itvLNLTyNKwsf.jpg

The eggs are obviously visual symbolism for womanhood and how messy it can become.
Imocho points out how natural all these bodily functions such as urinating or masturbating truly are. It's really the characters and audience that think it's irregular and something that is degrading. Sex is viewed as a taboo culture seemingly in anime and this show tackles that head on. They don't shy away from just saying the words sex or how that's a natural element in any healthy relationship.
iZAnJDtVmYlbM.jpg

The show is even discussing rape culture.
Truly a golden show in a flood of imouto crap. I haven't even begun to scratch the gold mine that this show can offer.

That reminds me. I haven't seen Hidamari yet but would like to, so this question is open to both yourself and really anybody who's reading and knows. I think I remember someone mentioning that the first season of Hidamari Sketch was a little bit different compared to the followup seasons?

It looks like there's a widescreen version for BD and the TV version was cropped? Is this the only difference and is it true that it was just the first season?
The only real differences I can tell you about are that it's inferior to any of the followup seasons from a direction and production values standpoint. Still a very good show obviously, but S2 and onward are just awesome.

Log Horizon 15

The dungeon was pretty fun and nice to see the kids not fail at party 101.

And then the attack of the CG fish monsters, dun dun dun.

Log Horizon 15

Story is finally starting to get interesting. Actual tension somewhat.
Actual consequences for death is something I wanted to see so now I am glad.
Though maybe I liked this episode more because it didn't focus on Mr. Perfect.

And holy crap at
Rudy being unable to be added to her friend list. I wonder what the deal is. A genuinely interesting mystery. Is he a one in a million NPC that actually has the ability of adventurers?

Theonik

A question: Is the previous Nisekoi shot also done on powerpoint. Stills don't reveal the tale otherwise every still would be :shaft.

Jarmel

Banned
Nisekoi-1

Yea this was really good. Full of in-Shaft jokes and really on point directing. It's a shame because I know how absolutely horrid the manga is, so it's kinda depressing that this is as good as it is. Chitoge is godly in animated form.

I died at that despair joke.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sakura Trick 1

I really like this. And the kissing doesn't even really factor into it (though I don't dislike it or anything). It's just a nice, lighthearted SOL show with some decent humor and REALLY nice animation (even if it is totally ripping off Hidamari's visual style). Will continue to watch.

Samurai Flamenco 12

This continues to be amazing and hilarious, I still love it.

Nice mix of action, monster fighting and all that male bonding.

Space Brothers 82:
Good for Ena working hard and getting a good assignment. Things look up for her. My favorite parts of the episode were the scenes with Kenji's wife. It was interesting seeing her adjusting to her new life and dealing with living in a new country and not understanding the language. Kenji has had to put his family through a lot, but he acknowledges that and they both seem to understand it. Hopefully things work out for them all in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom