• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Elder tale is a very old running mmo 20 years and still running if i remember right ..it's not the extra futuristic MMO , it's playing and using old and basic concept so that everyone can enjoy it.
You're actually supposed to be in a familiar territory , not expecting some high-tech stuff
The age of the game also falls into the "silly" category where the numbers don't seem real, but old MMOs get updated anyways. World of Warcraft is nearly ten years old at this point and has already moved away from aggro management. You just wouldn't get a game like Elder Tale anymore so it's weird to see a bunch of mechanics that have been tossed by pretty much every game developer.

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - 02
Still more setup but it was well done so I don't mind all that. Sanada seems like a shifty person and Daisuke's a bit heartless:
Gets handed a good luck charm from his mother and almost immediately crushes it in his hand.

I do wonder about the
planet bomb reaching the Earth from Pluto in 3 days though. Seems like it would have to have some ridiculously powerful engines.

cajunator

Banned
GOOOOOOOOD MORNING EVERYONE! *bounces

Cajun, I made that clear in my post.

True but it needs a second reminder. This is very important information!

If that's what you want me to watch in exchange for you watching TSR, I will do it.

im considering it! Kinos good but your responses to Tutu might be amusing.

I bet my ass that, if Corvo watches Tutu, he'll hate shiet out of Rue.

Hmm. Maybe. Shes pretty adorable I dunno.
that transformation scene..

Phi Brain 10-11

I was gonna do an impression of 10, but these two are basically a loose two-parter, since Erena is the main Giver in both. I liked her enough, though I think Gammon should have been the one to solve them, given how he and Erena interact.

Branduil

It was your tweet about everything being "really underwhelming" that made me come to the conclusion that anime is not worth talking about. If everything is shit, what's the point?
I feel like discussing why something is bad can be as informative as why something is good. Something like SAO can be invaluable as an object lesson in how to do everything wrong. Maybe that's just me though.

It's really cheap to blame your behavior on other people. The start of this season is definitely underwhelming, but there are clearly still interesting shows which are interesting enough to follow, there's just nothing particularly outstanding so far. If you have such difficulty dealing with other people's honest impressions and you can't handle any sort of (perceived) negativity at all, then you really need to take a long hard look at what's wrong with your perspective on everything and try to deal with that. It's hurting you, and it's pretty upsetting when you take it out on the community and your friends. :(

I apologize. I don't mean to blame my own irrationality and hyper-sensitivity on others. Please forgive me for mucking up the thread... again. I'll try to refrain from such behavior in the future.

cajunator

Banned
You will like Do You Remember Love better, Corvo.

He would. The song sells the whole thing. Its masterful. The animation is also glorious mantear inducing materia.

Honestly their prices aren't that crazy one you consider everyone has been pulling shit lately. I blame Tiger and Bunny being released in 4 volumes.

I think Hyouka's reception was much different to Yamato's. Mostly because I think Yamato is an 'easier' show if that makes sense. Of course the timing is different too. Yamato pretty much blew up and it didn't have a long burn to hipster hate like Hyouka did. (yet)

So it begins.

A good person.

The path to enlightenment is a hard and perilous one.

They are in fact wearing pants in-universe.

And in video form

Wrong

SO FUCKING AWESOME. I died a little inside every time one of you fuckers forgot to mention this scene on episode 19. Also I love the Battle of the Bulge nod on that scene.

Anime pricing is pretty logical outside of Aniplex.
Why is Strike Witches so cute?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
GOOOOOOOOD MORNING EVERYONE! *bounces

True but it needs a second reminder. This is very important information!

im considering it! Kinos good but your responses to Tutu might be amusing.

Hmm. Maybe. Shes pretty adorable I dunno.
that transformation scene..

morning!

The age of the game also falls into the "silly" category where the numbers don't seem real, but old MMOs get updated anyways. World of Warcraft is nearly ten years old at this point and has already moved away from aggro management. You just wouldn't get a game like Elder Tale anymore so it's weird to see a bunch of mechanics that have been tossed by pretty much every game developer.

Sorry but even with upgrades ..if at the start you game has agro , it will retain aggro no matter how much , how many extensions you put in , Except when you're square -enix maybe and can pull a 2.0 "realm reborn" ...but it's safe to assume that is not what happens in almost all cases.

As for the aggro management in wow , it's not that it isn't there , it's more like nobody cares anymore because the skills have evolved. But the group we see in log horizon don't have such basics in their minds and must learn the hard way.

Learning how to "tank" properly is something that must be learned before it can become trully usefull , especially in games that require heavy teamwork to suceed.

Narag

Space Dandy 2

AkD6bl9l.png

Poor Spike. Out of food, has no more woolongs, and can't find a bounty worth a shit. Good thing Faye knows how to fight.

As fun as last week was, it's nice to have something a little more straightforward. Ep felt far more even too rather than overloading the back half like last week.

Seitokai Yakuindomo* - 02

Uomii has the eyes of a serial killer.

Not as good or as funny as the first episode, but I think it has to do with the pacing. A lot of stuff happened in this episode and I was too busy laughing at one joke I think I missed the one right after it. Also, no Shota-sensei in this one.

Sekai Seifuku 1

sekaiseifuku1.jpg

The character designs really turned me off this series when they were first revealed (well, that and the staff working on it) but I'm glad I have this a chance as this turned out to be one of the best opening episodes of anything I've seen airing in this rather disappointing season.

What is she holding, a shoe or a bicycle seat?

Magi S2 - Episode 14

Yup, it's still good. 7 episodes in a row now of being faithful to the manga and adapting stuff with actual proper pacing and direction. Art remains nice, bits of nice animation here and there. A-1 really seems to have... learned? Still can't believe this is happening, but it's a good time for Magi fans to jump back on the anime bandwagon!

I don't want to believe your lies. :[

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sorry but even with upgrades ..if at the start you game has agro , it will retain aggro no matter how much , how many extensions you put in , Except when you're square -enix maybe and can pull a 2.0 "realm reborn" ...but it's safe to assume that is not what happens in almost all cases.

As for the aggro management in wow , it's not that it isn't there , it's more like nobody cares anymore because the skills have evolved. But the group we see in log horizon don't have such basics in their minds and must learn the hard way.
No, there is no threat management involved in WoW and "aggro" as a concept might as well not exist...because it only means the tank has yet to target the enemy. It has nothing to do with skills "evolving", Blizzard has simply gutted that aspect of the game because they thought it would be more interesting for people to manage cooldown rotations. The way WoW operates now makes it pretty much impossible to pull aggro from a tank. Once they engage each other they essentially lock in.

Even for tanks the role has become about mitigating damage received rather than creating threat and maintaining it.

All the joy of OP1 is gone.

Just marathon'd all 13 episodes and agree, the first OP was great but this new is really sucks the joy out of things.

Linda is growing on me but still think Kouko is best girl,
ghost Banri
is really the only character I don't like

World conquest - 01
I'm not exactly sure if i understood this episode properly.

So , this bitchy loli want to conquer the world and stuff happens ?

Meanwhile the Male character became homeless for some reason , get abused get wrapped in a giant mess while 2 opposite faction appear to clash ?
Ok i think i can watch that since it wasn't that dull , but it should become crazier in ep 2.

Still not dropped ( for now ) 3ep rule in effect

Ps: "lincoln had potential" , lol

I read the scene above as a "screw you tokyo mayor , we're gonna make more loli JUST BECAUSE , now"
Funny how that went , by trying to ban lolis , all the guy did was to make more artists draw lolis to compensate... That wasn't the real purpose of that law was it ?

Jarmel

Banned
No, there is no threat management involved in WoW and "aggro" as a concept might as well not exist...because it only means the tank has yet to target the enemy. It has nothing to do with skills "evolving", Blizzard has simply gutted that aspect of the game because they thought it would be more interesting for people to manage cooldown rotations. The way WoW operates now makes it pretty much impossible to pull aggro from a tank. Once they engage each other they essentially lock in.

Even for tanks the role has become about mitigating damage received rather than creating threat and maintaining it.

Well that's different from SWTOR which is still very much about aggro management.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Steins Gate 1

Either I'm not supposed to know what the hell is going on or the Organization has done this on purpose to me!

I was tempted to read a description of the series before watching this but after watching episode 1 I don't think I will. Because right now I have no clue what this is about or building up to and I like the mystery of not knowing.

Either way very intrigued by this.

LordCanti

Space Dandy 02

The animation is top notch, so let me get that out of the way. The story isn't so hot for me right now, but there were jokes sprinkled in there that I actually laughed at
The Ramen alien being in a motorcycle gang and having the typical ex-motorcycle-gang-dude story (up until he burned her alive by accident) was pretty damn funny. The near literal retread of that episode (episodes really) where Spike and co are broke, looking for a bounty, and without food, fell...mmm...flat.

Oh and I hate the dub. I don't watch dubs in general, but I'm certainly capable of picking a good one out. This....not so much. I'll wait for the subs from now on.

I should not have started Space Battleship Yamato 2199 right before my first day of school. Lets see if I can power through this series today :p if not well I am out of class at noon tomorrow..

Magi S2 - Episode 14

Yup, it's still good. 7 episodes in a row now of being faithful to the manga and adapting stuff with actual proper pacing and direction. Art remains nice, bits of nice animation here and there. A-1 really seems to have... learned? Still can't believe this is happening, but it's a good time for Magi fans to jump back on the anime bandwagon!

How was the Vivid song and OP? cant watch until hours from now :/

Syrinx

Steins Gate 1

Either I'm not supposed to know what the hell is going on or the Organization has done this on purpose to me!

I was tempted to read a description of the series before watching this but after watching episode 1 I don't think I will. Because right now I have no clue what this is about or building up to and I like the mystery of not knowing.

After a few episodes you'll generally have an idea about what's going on. The first half is a bit of a slow burn, but after that, get ready.

i think we're actually saying the same thing .
I say that nobody cares about aggro management in Wow.

and you're saying that the concept might no exist . even if it's there ( aggro ) since ennemies are locked to the tank.

Yep we're on the same page.
--------

And then i'll finish my world conquest coverage with this gif that feels "animated".

---------
EDIT : just noticed DTL avatar ... OMG

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nobunagun Episode 2:

Well, that got angsty in a hurry, I suppose it is justified, fate of the world on your shoulders, scared shitless, didn't stop it from dragging down the pace. Still character building is no terrible thing, though I do begin to understand why the yuri contingent gets so flustered at times. Ye gods, when your subtext is so blindingly obvious that it is transparent, why even bother with it, it isn't like you are fooling anyone with that whole "friends" bit.

CorvoSol

Buddy Complex is the must watch mecha this season, with Hamatora acting as the most intense, story driven anime this season. Id definitely suggest Hamatora.

What? No, GBF is mecha anime of the season. Then Nobunaga. THEN Buddy Complex.

Out of curiosity I am watching ep 1 of Great Teacher Onizuka, I thought the premise was interesting, but dunno, the "perverted card" overabuse and the weird faces is getting old even in the first episode.

Onizuka does have a lot of perverted going on, (and weird faces, though I found those endearing) but the reason the show is so beloved is because that isn't all there is to Onizuka. It's also really heart-warming, since it's about a teacher who actually gives a damn about his students.

Whoa, when did this thread get so depressing?

Can't we all just get along and have fun?

I blame myself for moping last night. Feelin' better with a good night's sleep under my belt.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sakura Trick 01

Wow a :SDBurton show that actually delivers. This was a fun watch. I was going into this expecting DEEN but thankfully its fake SHAFT through and through. But there ain't nothing fake about this yuri!

Space Brothers 83:
It's really harsh seeing how
Mutta and Kenji have been forced to compete against one another. The bromance had survived for nearly 80 episodes without even being tested, and you just want both of them to make it to the moon. I liked seeing how the two of them each tackled the issue from a different perspective, and hopefully they can wind up coming to an understanding over the course of this training.

Andy's conversation with Mutta was really enjoyable. His character is really shining the most of the new characters in this arc, and he's a good person to interact with Mutta.

Theonik

Saint Onii-san OVA
That was hilarious. I have no words beyond that. Thank you thread for notifying me of its existence.

Gazoinks

Tatami Galaxy-1

I love everything about this. The characters, setting, interaction, artstyle, and music are all so good. It's sort of crazy but also restrained. It's a lot different than how I imagined it to be. I expected something more 'artsy' but the show really is full of life everywhere.

The only 'issue' I had with this is the speed in which they deliver information. Makes the episode feel like three times longer. I also like it at the same time as it does make scenes snappy.

Yeeess. I love this show. Granted, as a somewhat aimless college student it probably resonated extra with me, but still! Good show!

Steins Gate 1

Also yes! Just be warned that the series doesn't really start going until the second half. I personally really like first half, but some find it boring.

Saint Onii-san OVA
That was hilarious. I have no words beyond that. Thank you thread for notifying me of its existence.

This really had no right to be as great as it was. Don't forget the movie!

Space Dandy 02

Really enjoyable. The animation direction and music were great. So many of the scenes were engaging and fun to watch. It reminds me of the effort Kinema put into Yuyushiki, which elevated some inconsequential events by having them well laid out and animated. The story didn't get very far in this episode, but I wasn't bored and I ended up feeling more optimistic about the show than last week. Good stuff man.

I wonder what'll happen when Gorilla-pimp actually gets in contact with Dandy, who he seems to currently be both over-estimating and yet still failing to catch. Or if the joke will be that he never does. Who knows what they'll do after last weeks ending that was never mentioned. Dandy even bailed on his stance on butts. It's like that episode never happened.

Phi Brain 12-13

Well, this was a more direct two-parter, encompassing Kaito's reunion with Rook. Rook's a bit... unhinged. Still, pretty interesting so far.

... Cubik's gonna be a Solver next episode? Yes. All of my yes.

Praise the garden!

Praise the Garden !

---------------------------
Space dandy - 02
Space dandy is not what i wanted but it's actually very entertaining so i'm 100 % satisfied.

No explanations for the stuff that seem important but a intresting way to handle a cast ..i like it .

It's stupid but nicely animated ..so as of now it has moved from the "maybe" category to "To watch " category.

Space%20Dandy%20-%2002.jpg

Pinpoint ?

The wonder of a twitter feed + gps localisation .... who needs a surveillance system when you can just "follow".?

Ps: i just realised that the main robot look like a cleaning device lol.

Acosta

Onizuka does have a lot of perverted going on, (and weird faces, though I found those endearing) but the reason the show is so beloved is because that isn't all there is to Onizuka. It's also really heart-warming, since it's about a teacher who actually gives a damn about his students.

Yes, yes, I know, I knew is a very beloved series so I was sure there was something else.

I watched ep 1 and 2, I can sense the greatness
dat suplex
I may keep watching if I can bear the perverted stuff.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't know why I haven't picked this show up yet, haha.

Oh, corvo I made a response to you last nightm, but you was gone already
I honestly enjoyed SDF love triangle alot because the relationships arent "fake" if that makes sense it actually feels like adults dealing with adult problems, instead of something turning into a harem or something like that

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nisekoi 1

It's a high school romance. There's a tsundere. There's an osananajimi. SHAFT has no idea how to give this premise and cast of characters its own personality so they have decided simply to huff the already long-depleted fumes of the Monogatari aesthetic. A CG fence with visible jaggies factors heavily into the episode. There is a promise made where all promises are made in anime; between two children in a windswept meadow. That's about it.

I don't know if Chitoge will win, but it's at least assured that Onodera will super lose.

It was your tweet about everything being "really underwhelming" that made me come to the conclusion that anime is not worth talking about. If everything is shit, what's the point?

Do you find it underwhelming though? Your opinions are your own, not anybody else's. Nothing is perfect regardless of medium, but if you're always looking for the bad in things, you'll end up being too cynical to enjoy the good. There is always going to be SOMEONE tearing apart a specific work, whether it be Sword Art Online or friggin Shakespeare.

I'm personally having fun with the season so far, but people are free to find it underwhelming, and it's not like winter is ever a shining example of quality. You need to find the 1 or 2 shows that appeal to you and not care about anyone's else's opinion beyond analysis purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom