• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that , if i quote too much posts , neogaf seems to forget some along the way for some reason and i have to consider character limit too , so here it is!

I remember playing early MMO's like Ragnarok Online while it was still in beta in SK. No such thing as aggros, dps and dot.
Ragnarok online 1 was and still is the giant case of abuse on the function keys on your keyboard , skill use based gameplay , no teamwork needed except in very rare cases for exploring. You were either good to go ( no danger ) or in constant danger of death ...

Somehow this is the game that got me started on MMOs , so i can't hate it.
At least you could solo explore almost everything once you knew what to do.

Golden Time 09

oh no

oh no

OH NO

This is going down exactly like that Romance show from 2012 that involved
body switching

Can't say I'm a fan of this development but I'm going to see where it goes from here. MC better check himself before he wrecks himself
again
Don't worry , we're still in a relative safe zone.. i guess we need to have faith in the author but let's face it this is a giant minefield created only for the viewer to focus his attention on other things....and it's working.

The problem with Log Horizon going into game specific concepts is that most of the abilities/cooldown timers are really silly and not thought out. Also, the general MMORPG conceptions it has are outdated, so instead of coming across as this highly futuristic and evolved super MMO players live in it winds up being more nostalgic. Pretty much all popular MMORPGs are phasing out the concept of aggro and threat generation to instead focus on very rigid cooldown rotation management.
Elder tale is a very old running mmo 20 years and still running if i remember right ..it's not the extra futuristic MMO , it's playing and using old and basic concept so that everyone can enjoy it.
You're actually supposed to be in a familiar territory , not expecting some high-tech stuff.

Yamato ep 7,8

Ep 7: A nice breather episode after the past few,
really enjoyed seeing everyone's different lives and personalities come out in their video messages, and more hinting at a relationship between Yumi and Iskander

Ep 8:
Farewell Schultz, we barely knew thee, Desler's throne is so boss, the controls for dropping people through holes was practically cartoon villain level though, seemed a little out of place.
Ep7 remark : it's a shame that they didn't gave us more moment of "life" on the yamato..
Not enough time to do so i guess.
Hey if you ruled an empire for 103 years you'd also like to have that sorts of things. Or you'd be bored silly.
If feel that it's exactly that after 103 yearsrulling i'd be putting this stuff around , especially if you're looking at some "entertainment"

Magi S2 - Episode 14

Yup, it's still good. 7 episodes in a row now of being faithful to the manga and adapting stuff with actual proper pacing and direction. Art remains nice, bits of nice animation here and there. A-1 really seems to have... learned? Still can't believe this is happening, but it's a good time for Magi fans to jump back on the anime bandwagon!
Duckroll , you're telling me that it's safe to go back ?
i'll be back watching magi .i'll start S2

i hope it won't be a trainwreck at the end.

Yamato 10

Best scifi show in years, the anime we needed but didn't deserve
You're not at the best part yet.

Phi Brain 05
Attack of the plot. I guess the Armlet can go both ways. It can enhance your solving abilities or completely shut them off. Although, according to the preview, that should go away right quick. So far it's just Gammon and Kaito solving puzzles. I kind of want to see Cubik and Ana try in later epsiodes (granted Ana helped Kaito find the solution in that painting puzzle, but since they're all geniuses, I'd like all of them to go solo at least once).

Yeah yeah ..someone else watching phi brain. DOn't worry , anna & Cubik will get their episodes later , don't forget to post more impressions here :)

Acosta

Playing some catch up...

I have arrived at Log Horizon 14, really love the series, the humour is fun, the characters are nice, they have put a really good thought on the story and world building, and it's pretty obvious whoever wrote this has played MMOs (lol at the "healer is not doing her work" such a classic).

Really entertaining stuff.

I will have to wait to check the new season, I have so many stuff to watch from the past that I'm not in hurry.

Edit:

Wow, duckroll saying Magi S2 is good, I need to go back ASAP, if he says so it must be really good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I just watched half of Sakura Trick ep1 and I had to stop. Too powerful. Fake-Shaft + SDBurton's brain = dangerous. I don't think I'll be able to watch this show. >_<

Nooooo duckroll! Don't give up! Watch it for me, pleeeease! ;_;

Jintor

Seitokai Yakuindomo s2 02

As we suspected they blew their budget on the first episode (though we still got a cool after credits scene with budget that... appeared to be about plot?) Hilarious as always. I don't know why but this episode of the squid joke had me rolling.

Oumii the alternate universe student council president remains probably my single favorite character in the show.

Shergal

Is that mutually exclusive with what I brought up? I didn't say I wanted them addressing the plausibility of it, but like the extension of the boobs/butt joke this episode, it dampens the effect without a callback. Do you think the fourth wall breaking bugs me too?

But it's funnier if they don't explain it...

Tbh it's not really funny either way but it's better this way because it doesn't cut off time from actual things happening in the ep.

Phi Brain 06-08

The fact Nonoha has a title now amuses me. The hotel episode interested me because Ana can solve puzzles just as easily as Kaito can (
and apparently can commune with ghosts too
). Still, it was a cute set of episodes.

Detective Conan 277:
Poor Megure, always showing up to crime scenes only to have all the people who torture him already there. He probably suffers from a lot of stress. At least with Conan, Heiji and Jodie all on the scene there are a lot of people around to pick up on everything that's going on.

Conan finally starts to let Agasa in on some of what's going on, but he still refuses to tell Haibara anything, which is definitely a mistake. You have to love how little Conan and Heiji thought through things before going to see Jodie despite their suspicions.

duckroll

Duckroll , you're telling me that it's safe to go back ?
i'll be back watching magi .i'll start S2

Wow, duckroll saying Magi S2 is good, I need to go back ASAP, if he says so it must be really good.

Hey keep in mind that I watched the first episode of S2 and dropped it like a rock immediately! I only started watching again at ep8, which is when Aladdin finally gets to Magnostadt. It's been a pretty solid adaptation from that point on, but I dunno if 2-7 are even worth watching. I refuse to take that chance!

Seitokai yakuindomo S2 - 02
Seitokai%20Yakuindomo%20S2%20-%2002.jpg
Uomi - kaichou running joke with suzu crack me up every time.

Let us welcome the FLAG CRUSHER

The squid mini story is getting better than the first ... hope it can stay at this level.

I hate anime, I hate Japan, I hate that I ever gained an interest in this hobby, I hate all of you for making me hate this hobby, I hate myself, I want to die, I apologize for ranting like this here but I have nowhere else to do it, just let me be stupid here and I'll delete this post in a few minutes, my profuse apologies for being the worst person on the planet, bye

Quoted.

duckroll

Noragami - Episode 2

Still good. This is a really surprisingly well directed show. There's a lot of thought put into how the scenes are portrayed, and lots of subtle details which make the experience more enjoyable to watch. Good art, nice animation, really nice colors, effective use of music. The material itself is clearly pretty generic and nothing particularly unique, but the execution really elevates the tone of the entire story.

I really like the design of the ayakashi in the show, and all those scenes where NotChitanda starts to see more and more of that side of the world were really well done. There are a number of really nice scenes in general throughout the episode, and I think it was even better that last week's episode.

Phi Brain 06-08

The fact Nonoha has a title now amuses me. The hotel episode interested me because Ana can solve puzzles just as easily as Kaito can (
and apparently can commune with ghosts too
). Still, it was a cute set of episodes.
Nonoha skill set is very intresting :)
Ana skill set is wider than the sea
Hey keep in mind that I watched the first episode of S2 and dropped it like a rock immediately! I only started watching again at ep8, which is when Aladdin finally gets to Magnostadt. It's been a pretty solid adaptation from that point on, but I dunno if 2-7 are even worth watching. I refuse to take that chance!
So it's still a potential mine field ? I'll act carefully.

I hate anime, I hate Japan, I hate that I ever gained an interest in this hobby, I hate all of you for making me hate this hobby, I hate myself, I want to die, I apologize for ranting like this here but I have nowhere else to do it, just let me be stupid here and I'll delete this post in a few minutes, my profuse apologies for being the worst person on the planet, bye

Quoted. - arg someone had the same idea !

Kurita

Come on, cheer up.

Out of curiosity I am watching ep 1 of Great Teacher Onizuka, I thought the premise was interesting, but dunno, the "perverted card" overabuse and the weird faces is getting old even in the first episode.

It's not GTO without perverts.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Why do people in this thread always have issues. :(

Can't we just talk about anime? Is it that hard?

I agree,
now finish up Sakura trick so I can read your impressions! ( &#8226; &#969; &#8226;)

In all seriousness I hope hosannainexcelsis is okay. :(

Phi Brain 09

This is probably my favorite episode to date. Souji is really shaping up to be my favorite character, and the fact
he's a Giver and rigidly believes in Philosopher Puzzles being beautiful is lovely. I was actually surprised he tried to get the Armlet before Kaito.

Aside from the puzzle being creepy as hell (those dwarves *shudder*), the drag queen portion of the episode was also hilarious.

Chihayafuru S1 End - Man, I think this show is just fantastic. Just top to bottom. The characters all have unique personalities, but they all manage to be pretty likable. They do a good job of making a relatively mundane game like karuta exciting. Its generally serious, but has its funny moments (fat Shinobu was fantastic). It even has the distinction of being the only show since K-On! that I actually don't skip the title sequence because of how much I enjoy the opening song. Best yet, I have a whole second season waiting for me!

I don't know exactly what you're going through or feeling right now, and I can understand some of your frustration. I don't know if I'm qualified to actually say anything that would be helpful, but I just want to say that I've always respected your contributions to this thread and I feel like you're one of the best posters in here and someone who I'm always curious to read the opinions of. Hopefully you can feel better and find yourself in a better state of mind, whatever that entails.

Narag

Little Witch Academia

Still so good. Perfect example of the OVA format like Riding Bean.

Death Billiards

Kills me this doesn't have 13 episodes or so. Seems like it's the kind of thing that could coast on its writing and direction even if production values were cheaper.

duckroll

It was your tweet about everything being "really underwhelming" that made me come to the conclusion that anime is not worth talking about. If everything is shit, what's the point?

It's really cheap to blame your behavior on other people. The start of this season is definitely underwhelming, but there are clearly still interesting shows which are interesting enough to follow, there's just nothing particularly outstanding so far. If you have such difficulty dealing with other people's honest impressions and you can't handle any sort of (perceived) negativity at all, then you really need to take a long hard look at what's wrong with your perspective on everything and try to deal with that. It's hurting you, and it's pretty upsetting when you take it out on the community and your friends. :(

Jarmel

Banned
Tatami Galaxy-1
I love everything about this. The characters, setting, interaction, artstyle, and music are all so good. It's sort of crazy but also restrained. It's a lot different than how I imagined it to be. I expected something more 'artsy' but the show really is full of life everywhere.

The only 'issue' I had with this is the speed in which they deliver information. Makes the episode feel like three times longer. I also like it at the same time as it does make scenes snappy.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kave Man: You wanted a title to watch as an initiation? You have a few legitmately good titles in your shortlist(Strike Witches is not one of them), but if you want something that really makes AnimeGAF what it is, then consider either Kenya Boy or Garzey's Wing (dub).

I'll try out Garzey's Wing then. It looks very old and based on cajun's response I'm assuming the dub is "fantastic" :D

JoeFu

Banned
I only got to watch Nobunagun 2 for like 8 minutes but this show is so dumb I love it. Also the cheesy music makes it even better.

Shergal

Tatami Galaxy-1

I love everything about this. The characters, setting, interaction, artstyle, and music are all so good. It's sort of crazy but also restrained. It's a lot different than how I imagined it to be. I expected something more 'artsy' but the show really is full of life everywhere.

The only 'issue' I had with this is the speed in which they deliver information. Makes the episode feel like three times longer. I also like it at the same time as it does make scenes snappy.

Either one becomes accustomed to the speed of the dialogue, or it slows down. Point is you stop being distracted after a couple of eps.

Fully agree with your impressions. Tatami Galaxy is the best Yuasa TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom