• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

My understanding from seeing peoples reactions is that Nisekoi pulls every dirty trick in the book to keep its harem uncertainty going as long as possible.

It does. Even tricks I didn't think were possible, or rather should be possible.

Echoing this. I really shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do but holy crap after a certain point some of the facepalm-worthy stuff the author brazenly pulls starts to become hilarious. I think I audibly laughed out loud when the
CONVENIENT AMNESIA
happened.

That they ended up being some of the best chapters in the lot made it even funnier.

Reknoc

So are the paving slabs. Particularly around Christmas when they're illuminated by the festive lighting.

There's one here up for pre-order (May release), but I don't think it's been painted yet so I can't say whether it's a worthy purchase. The price is really low so I can't imagine it'll be anything groundbreaking. Still, if it's any good I may well buy it from that link, because it's a German store with low UK shipping costs.

Cheap uk shipping makes this link pretty evil since they have portrait of pirate stuff...

jman2050

Also literally every single character introduced so far has been more interesting than Onodera. Every. Single. One.

Yes, even all the minor one-shot characters.

How I never noticed Gargantia was on Crunchyroll is beyond me. WHAT WHAT!

Now I can watch it with my buddy later on. I can't remember what airs today but I think Pilot's Love Song is already out.

Echoing this. I really shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do but holy crap after a certain point some of the facepalm-worthy stuff the author brazenly pulls starts to become hilarious. I think I audibly laughed out loud when the
CONVENIENT AMNESIA
happened.

That they ended up being some of the best chapters in the lot made it even funnier.

I think my lack of investment in the outcome has curbed a lot of the frustration that would otherwise be consuming me when I read Nisekoi. It's the same principle that makes hatewatches entertaining. When you've stopped caring, the second half of SAO is pretty damn funny.

Why does K-on keep coming out with cute figures? I couldnt pass these up.
Bd3c-aLCIAAkSX5.jpg

Probably easier and more profitable to produce new figures than a S3!

I am hoping that is BONES that is doing the adaptation.

Bones could work. Madhouse probably could as well if it starts around the time HxH finishes since they've proven they can keep production values up even for long-running stuff.

Just realized censorship will be a major concern, so hopefully they can keep it to a minimum.

Those background images from the No Game No Life site look gorgeous.

More here

Don't you guys insult Nisekoi.
Just wait until Marika shows up.
JonbI.png

So is her hair supposed to be red or brown?

Usually I see her with red, but there was that one screen shot from the anime of her with brown hair.

I heard Nisekoi is 2-cours. Lol.

Guess I'll give it shot

Lttp but a Akame ga Kill anime rumor? Motherfucker yes please!!

More people to bare witness to the greatness of Esdese sama.

Chronoexe

Bones could work. Madhouse probably could as well if it starts around the time HxH finishes since they've proven they can keep production values up even for long-running stuff.

Just realized censorship will be a major concern, so hopefully they can keep it to a minimum.

yep it's not the same without the heads flying everywhere.

Also, the world needs more Esdese.

Theonik

Kyousougiga 05
So that concludes the introduction of the protagonist and the 3 brothers. The ending seemed to indicate shit going down too. Let's see.

CorvoSol

Paranoia Agent 8, Take 2

So just gonna spoiler the entire thing out of sheer laziness.

Let's assume for a moment that I was wrong (unthinkable, I know) and that this episode has nothing to do with abortions, planned parenthood, or any other contraceptive/fertility/etc message, and instead examine it all anew.

Hitokage directed my attention to the shadows and I confess that the first time through I missed this. In the beginning of the episode Zebra and Fuyubachi sort of look like they have them, so it's possible that the trio was still alive and that their first attempt was a success, considering that they see Komome and then a wrecking ball flies into the room. The next scene has their bodies lying flat on the ground, and they get up and walk away. So it is safe to say that from at least that early in the episode they were dead, and it makes other things, like the man who jumped in front of the train and somehow lived through it, make more sense (if they Zebra is seeing his ghost instead of his actual self.)

The episode's plot is then about the worth of life and not throwing it away via suicide, and demonstrates through the caricature of these three unlucky death-seekers, that suicide is a terrible solution to one's problems. This is made clearest when the three are in the inn, discussing how jealous they are that Fox got to die, and wondering why Lil' Slugger didn't come and kill them, too. The irony is that they claim to have been backed into a corner the way Lil' Slugger's victims were, when in reality the three of them have every reason to live in each other. Indeed, their reasons for wanting to die make clear the reasons they have for living, too: Fuyabuchi is old and ill, and seemingly all alone. Zebra is struggling with homosexuality in a society that does not accept it (and possibly the loss of his love), and Komome is very lonely. The moment she declares "don't leave me behind!" drives the point home: none of them should want to die, because they have each other. They may not be lovers, may not be linked by blood, may not have anything in common at all, but they are, in fact, a family.

At the end of the episode, Fuyabuchi realizes they are dead, but I confess that the first time I watched it the scene came across more as him realizing how much he had to live for in the two people with him. This is possibly because throughout the episode Fuyabuchi's primary concern shifts from "How can we kill ourselves" to "How can we prevent Komome from dying?" until, of course, Komome makes it clear that, life or death, she doesn't wish to be separated from them, at which point Fuyabuchi's motivations become ever more increasingly "how can I keep this little girl happy?" Thus, when Fuyabuchi realizes he has no shadow, that his last pill is still in the case and he has gone for nearly a day without any need of it, and thus the three of them are dead, his attitude changes altogether. He walks hand in hand with Komome and Zebra, and the three of them cheerfully pose for a picture, walking away without regard for the screams of horror of the people they had taken the picture with. The title "Happy Family Planning" then, refers not to some method of birth control, but to the fact that Fuyabuchi, Zebra, and Komome's plan had lead them to become a happy family, as it were.

As noted by others earlier, the reason Lil' Slugger runs away from them, assuming that Lil' Slugger is more than just a man (as the series is presently suggesting), is because the three death-seekers are in fact the exact opposite of the people he has attacked so far. They're not backed into a corner, not isolated, and not altogether stressed out. In fact, for three suicidal dead people, they're pretty much carefree. This sets them up as an ironic counterpart to the people in the series, all of whom are living and wishing desperately for release from their troubles even as they struggle under the strain of isolation, whereas these three dead people are cheerful, enveloped in companionship, and, most notably selfless. The victims always thought of themselves, whereas the dead have spent their entire screentime concerned for each other.

To be perfectly honest, it's wrong to say this episode could have been penned by Kawamori. It's similar in that it serves as a scathing review of the people of Japan and the illness of modern Japanese Culture, but unlike Kawamori, it's actually very subtle, choosing to show what's wrong and allowing the viewer to draw those conclusions and think about them, rather than bludgeoning them over the head with it as Arjuna did. If Kawamori had penned this episode, you would have been told the point and berated for needing it told you, while being shown imagery that likely would have conflicted with, undermined, and ultimately poisoned the message. So, as Shergal said last night, you could say this episode was like something Kawamori had made, but unlike Kawamori's plots, this was actually good.

Vecks

Decided to check out a few of the new shows last night that I knew nothing about.

Wizard Barristers 1

The beginning scene was awesome, but then... what is this? A show with powers, but they're not allowed to really use them for anything? If they're just gonna get caught by police every time they use powers (even in self-defense), I don't know if I want to really continue. Might watch a little more.

Nobunagun 1-2

Not feeling this one either. Just not my cup of tea I guess. Dropped.

Tonari no Seki-kun 1-2

This seems pleasant and fun. And short. Also, I like the ED.

Noragami 1-2

Okay, I like this one the best so far. The plot doesn't have much direction at the moment, but it was entertaining.

Hozuki no Reitetsu 1

Was hesitant to try this one, since the OP's description said dark comedy, but the first ep was not dark at all. I like this one too. Thought it was fun.

Shergal

Paranoia Agent 8, Take 2

So just gonna spoiler the entire thing out of sheer laziness.

Redeemed yourself, good job! :p

This episode is striking to me because the tone of it is so irreverent and lighthearted. Hell it's structured like an episode of a gag comedy, where the characters want to do something but constantly fail in amusing ways.

As you say, too, the ep is fairly subtle. It doesn't spell out the theme, nor the twist, nor the character backstories. I think that goes a long way for creating the tone and pace of the episode which almost needs to focus on interaction and the suicide hijinks to work, especially when you only have 20 minutes to do it.

Theonik

Kyousougiga 06
Finally we are were episode 00 concluded. Now everything is in context but I can help but feel I'm missing something. The way the story is presented is pretty impressive though perhaps a touch too slow.
I feel like they already showed all the good action scenes too so I'm conflicted. But I am still enjoying the hell out of this. Probably ending up on my AOTY list.

CorvoSol

Redeemed yourself, good job! :p

This episode is striking to me because the tone of it is so irreverent and lighthearted. Hell it's structured like an episode of a gag comedy, where the characters want to do something but constantly fail in amusing ways.

As you say, too, the ep is fairly subtle. It doesn't spell out the theme, nor the twist, nor the character backstories. I think that goes a long way for creating the tone and pace of the episode which almost needs to focus on interaction and the suicide hijinks to work, especially when you only have 20 minutes to do it.

I actually feel that the entire show so far has done a pretty good job at being subtle. The split personality, for instance, was portrayed fairly well, with there being cues for when it happened, large gaps in memory, and a therapist to help. This episode does a particularly good job of letting the viewer learn on their own, when a lot of shows would sooner just beat you over the head with the message. I mean, some messages need saying, and some need saying loud and out-right, but subtlety is an excellent means of getting people to think about their own faults, and a culture its own issues.

Military moe is wonderful.

There's moe about so many things. I wonder if there will ever a moe anime about female body builders.
I know that there's already moe anime about overweight girls.

Nice girls are the safe bet and tend to be boring. I only remember one show I was rooting for the nice girl, and that's because she was a senpai. And she totally noticed him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nice girls are the safe bet and tend to be boring. I only remember one show I was rooting for the nice girl, and that's because she was a senpai. And she totally noticed him.
They're not even the safe bet. In fact, they are the odds on favourite to lose. They exist only to create triangle/polygon drama before the MC chooses the other lead character. I mean, just look at Linda from Golden Time. You could rip her out of the story and have a better show where it's just a silly romcom between Banri and Koko. Instead, it's angst angst angst, and she's going to lose hard anyway.

These characters might be more interesting if the author was genuinely interested in making them actual "competitors" for the lead's affections. But unless everyone starts making Amagami SS-like omnibus/anthology stories, these characters exist only as obstacles for the more interesting leads.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
No prob bob
Hhhhhhnnnnnnnnnngggghhhhhhh. One of those rare pics where 3dpd is just as cute as the art. Kurita somehow this is your fault.

Just another step in the development of a :kurita :cajun :wonzo :firehawk :corvo :sdburton anime: The Anime to End All Anime and Save Us From This Never-ending Hell

Are there any shows where the harem consists entirely of childhood friends?

Does Kanon count?
Not really

my childhood gal friends never want to marry me or what not :(

And one of them became a hawks cheerleader and now is doing law school stuff.

wiffed that at bat.

cnet128

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 2

Okay, Nobunaga the Fool is officially obsolete, I've half a mind to drop it right now because this show just provided all the Sengoku battlefield drama I require. Best. Shogi game. Ever.

There's one airing this season. Saying which would be a spoiler though.

...True enough... Wait, actually
Tsugumi isn't one, is she?

But it means having to be with Raku so is that really a win?

Hey, Raku is totally husbando material. The guy can cook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom