• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what percentage of harems actually end with the protag actually choosing a girl. And out of that, what percentage of the shows have it where he makes it clear from the start he had her as the favorite.

And out of that, how many of them are childhood friends. I would hope that with the crazy amount of shows in the genre, this study would have been made. For the children.

I wonder what percentage of harems actually end with the protag actually choosing a girl. And out of that, what percentage of the shows have it where he makes it clear from the start he had her as the favorite.

And out of that, how many of them are childhood friends. I would hope that with the crazy amount of shows in the genre, this study would have been made. For the children.

I imagine you'll need to narrow it down to finding harems that actually end first.

Theonik

Almost all of them do eventually. Just not in the adapted material usually.

cnet128

Banned

Kashimashi is the only one that matters. The manga ending specifically. I can ignore all the other harem endings that went wrong because that one went so right.

(Though I guess then we have to get into the argument of whether it even counts as a harem when there were only two proper viable love interests...)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kashimashi is the only one that matters. The manga ending specifically. I can ignore all the other harem endings that went wrong because that one went so right.

(Though I guess then we have to get into the argument of whether it even counts as a harem when there were only two proper viable love interests...)

Well, I put that in the "Amagami SS" boat inasmuch as the anime cheated by giving both characters endings.

Almost all of them do eventually. Just not in the adapted material usually.
Wasn't it great when Ranma finally chose that one girl?

Quasar

I'd have trouble naming many in anime. Tsukine in Rosario+Vampire chooses pretty close to the start, but the other girls refuse to give up. And so his choice doesn't really do much, especially since the story doesn't go very far before ending.

Part of it is that so many are based on other media and the anime amounts to the first chapter. Harem anime don't have any conclusion, they just point to an open ending to get people to read the manga/LN.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Come to think of it, Myself;Yourself ends with the childhood friend, although I'm not sure if that was really a harem.

There's also Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which again does the "two routes" thing, so the childhood friend would win in that.

Jex

My understanding from seeing peoples reactions is that Nisekoi pulls every dirty trick in the book to keep its harem uncertainty going as long as possible.

I could pretty much work that out from watching a single episode and knowing that it runs in Weekly Shonen Jump. Only Ano Natsu will get away with having good pacing in an anime romcom.

Poor Mugi, no longer counting for anything.

cE7Gs2I.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I could pretty much work that out from watching a single episode and knowing that it runs in Weekly Shonen Jump. Only Ano Natsu will get away with having good pacing in an anime romcom.
Being original helps tremendously, since you're not beholden to some other master text.

Oh, come to think of it, Visual Novel adaptations tend to end definitively. Little Busters even ends with the childhood friend ending... but at least that makes sense given the context of the show. She's both the childhood friend, but she is also the "special" one.

I'd have trouble naming many in anime. Tsukine in Rosario+Vampire chooses pretty close to the start, but the other girls refuse to give up. And so his choice doesn't really do much, especially since the story doesn't go very far before ending.

Part of it is that so many are based on other media and the anime amounts to the first chapter. Harem anime don't have any conclusion, they just point to an open ending to get people to read the manga/LN.

Yeah. I think there have been plenty of romance mangas I end up choosing to read the manga (if that's the original) vs the anime since one ends and the other doesn't. And there aren't always obvious spots where you can jump into the manga after watching the anime since they might have changed stuff to have it somewhat end.

That's why I'm a big fan of stuff like FMA Brotherhood. There's clearly a romance going on but it takes a backseat to everything else, and at the end there's resolution.

cnet128

Banned

"Good pacing" is the MC choosing worst girl right at the beginning followed by a whole cour of watching best girl suffering?

Well, I guess it does get the inevitable over with ~.~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Good pacing" is the MC choosing worst girl right at the beginning followed by a whole cour of watching best girl suffering?

Well, I guess it does get the inevitable over with ~.~
BoobAlien Ichika > Kanna.

I mean, they both wear glasses and they clack when they kiss. It's a perfect romcom moment.

Jex

wizard barristers - 01

These are some ugly character designs. Two of them look okay (the police woman and the rival girl), but everyone else ranges from messy to just plain terrible. Some really bad CG, some great action animation, lots of highly detailed destruction (and their aftermath)...

I'd be more hopeful about this if it were wizard hunters instead of wizard barristers.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea why Umetsu is attempting to do some kind of serious (on a Mardock Scramble level) courtroom series when he could just make a show about about crazy wizard action. Which it looks like he's making anyway!

Quasar

Well, I put that in the "Amagami SS" boat inasmuch as the anime cheated by giving both characters endings.

I don't really consider Amagami a harem anime at all. There is no harem of girls vying for his affection at the same time, there is no choosing. They are all separate 1-1 romance stories just with the same characters.

Which I guess is a cheat as you don't have to deal with the messy business of choosing and you get to have multiple romance arcs without having the mc look like dick by toying with multiple girls feelings. But it sits better with me as the core of harem story, especially beyond a triangle, has always seemed dumb.

Gundam Build Fighters 14

The moment they stated that Sei and Reiji were undefeated was pretty much a giant flag that they would lose. WHY didn't they attempt to shoot the Renatos Bros? Dammit all.

Reijis pissed. Aila in paaaain.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really consider Amagami a harem anime at all. There is no harem of girls vying for his affection at the same time, there is no choosing. They are all separate 1-1 romance stories just with the same characters.

Which I guess is a cheat as you don't have to deal with the messy business of choosing and you get to have multiple romance arcs without having the mc look like dick by toying with multiple girls feelings. But it sits better with me as the core of harem story, especially beyond a triangle, has always seemed dumb.

I thought it was a huge cop out at the time. Especially since that incest VN harem did the same thing shortly after. But it makes perfect sense. If you can't - by design - have 5 couples like in something like... True Tears or Hatsukoi, then doing the anthology is probably the best compromise. You basically get what amounts to 6 romcom movies (20 minutes x 6 episodes) and you don't have to drag out a story with Ghost Banri or whatever other manufactured drama that you can come up with.

sonicmj1

Like I said earlier, I have no idea why Umetsu is attempting to do some kind of serious (on a Mardock Scramble level) courtroom series when he could just make a show about about crazy wizard action. Which it looks like he's making anyway!

It's his second consecutive show with a lawyer character, so maybe something else is at work.

Quasar

Ichika > Kanna.

That was always my view.

Thinking about it I guess VN based anime frequently more have the make a choice and all because they usually choose a single route to build a anime around. They have a endpoint that you don't normally have with manga or ln based material. If anything it makes the anime less haremy as there is no great drama/waste of time over the mc choosing and girls competing. At least after a certain point.

Jex

Wizzzzzzard Barristers

While I certainly share the consensus opinion that the character designs in this series are kind of bad/Umetsu, one thing I do have respect is that there's no 'young' girls in the main cast (thus far). For the most part they all appear to be 20 something and over which is really not the kind of thing you do any more (or ever). I know the main girls is 17 and all but even that is pretty 'old' by anime standards. In most other shows she'd be 15.

Pilot's Love Song 2

This show still hasn't gone above the "meh I'll watch it" status. We learn a bit more about Superman in this episode, but not enough to make me interested in him just yet. He's still a good guy greg and very forward with his flirting, and doesn't back down from a challenge. Above average but not outstanding for a protagonist. On the other hand silver haired dude continued to scowl at him and finally we learn
he knows his identity. Vegeta to his Goku apparently

We're also introduced to the best two characters this show can have.

Wolfgang. The gentle giant.

And a hispanic looking long hair teacher named Mr. Banderas. You read that right. Anime industry reads GAF confirmed.

I hope he has a reaction shot later on in the show so we can have our own Banderas.gif

e_i

I wonder why Wizard Barristers uses lingo from Canada and England. Barrister is a Canadian, or English lawyer.

Dresden

Cecil is from Canada (finally, the Canadian heroine anime needed), so it might have something to do with that. Or just for how it sounds, maybe - wōd as a term for mages comes to mind.

Mature

Maybe it's some form of Umetsu nostalgia, but I dig the character designs in Wizard Barristers. Granted, I've yet to watch the first episode, so maybe I'll change my opinion when they're in motion.

cnet128

Banned
Wizzzzzzard Barristers

one thing I do have respect is that there's no 'young' girls in the main cast (thus far).

That just makes it worse though =/

It'll get pretty confusing if they make a series about wizards serving coffee

I'm picturing something like Shirokuma Cafe except with wizard antics instead of animal antics. It looks pretty amazing in my head. Dammit, now I want someone to make this show.

Yowamushi Pedal 14

As expected, Manami makes a great rival for Onoda. Also lol at Onoda still being able to pull off the whole "he achieved all that...with THOSE handicaps?!" thing like a boss (completely unawares, of course).

Gazoinks

Maybe it's some form of Umetsu nostalgia, but I dig the character designs in Wizard Barristers. Granted, I've yet to watch the first episode, so maybe I'll change my opinion when they're in motion.

Eh, they're fine. I don't really have strong feelings about them. Some of them are kind of goofy, but the show is kind of goofy, so...

CorvoSol

my childhood gal friends never want to marry me or what not :(

And one of them became a hawks cheerleader and now is doing law school stuff.

wiffed that at bat.

In Junior High School I predicted almost down to the issue that a classmate of mine would appear in Playboy.

I have since resolved that it is too great a power for me to wield.

Buddy Complex 2

Man this show is begging for the yaoi fanfics. I expect one called "Fuck Buddy Complex" within the month.

Pretty entertaining episode. Dat ending though
looks like Love Hina is part of the enemy brigade. I'm going to assume that she meets up with protag, falls in love with him, something happens to him and she betrays her country to go and bring his past self back to the future.

Reknoc

I have it on good account that wizards only drink tea and alcohol. It helps keep their wizard logic sound.

Yea, but then they opened a starbucks on every corner in hogsmead, a costa two buildings down from each starbucks and the occasional cafe nero spotted around.

cnet128

Banned
D-Frag! 2

Still a little uncertain of whether or not this show is actually worth my time, but this episode was entertaining enough. Every good school club needs a BITTER RIVAL...and every useless club needs one even more because otherwise they'll never do anything worthwhile.

Theonik

Kyousougiga 10 -END-
This was so good. Definitely secured its place on my AOTY list. What that place would be I don't know yet but it has it!
A very complete ending resolving pretty much everything from Toei of all places.
I'm surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom