• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-Frag! 2

Still a little uncertain of whether or not this show is actually worth my time, but this episode was entertaining enough. Every good school club needs a BITTER RIVAL...and every useless club needs one even more because otherwise they'll never do anything worthwhile.

Yeah just finished it. The first half was pretty decent, the second half was eh. Sorry to say but the main cast of girls is so horribly tv tropes and standard in their personalities I can't like them. I wish the whole show just revolved around protag and his group of buddies. They're more entertaining.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Log Horizon 15
More MMORPG server-drama exactly as I remember it. In this episode we find why every PUG in the history of MMORPGs is an utter failure. We also see the totally unrealistic action of them fixing it. lol

Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time 2
Not as OMG over the top cool as the first episode but Toiya(?) was even more hilarious.

Gundam Build Fighters 14(? last week's)
Very cute. Almost as cute as the Beargguy III episode. Love how out there they are going with the series while never getting stupid.

Space Dandy 2
Overall about twice as good as the first episode. Really enjoyed all of it quite a bit, and both the constant tweeting and the phantom alien scene were classic watanabe-san. Looking forward much more to next episode than I was to this one (if that makes sense).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Super Sonico The Animation Episode 2:

As dull as this series and make no mistake is gets very boring at times, I still can't bring myself to hate this series because it is still so very refreshing to see actual adults doing adult things in anime. I am that bloody sick and tired of high school. Also, I am 99% sure that Suzu wants to get into Sonico's pants.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Who do you think will betray his friend first, Brutus or Mitsuhide?

I bet nobody turns on anybody just so Kawamori can feel like he pulled one over on us.

Alternatively, it'll probably be Brutus. Because it's goddamn Brutus. Turning on Caesar is the only reason he's even remembered.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I wonder why Wizard Barristers uses lingo from Canada and England. Barrister is a Canadian, or English lawyer.

I haven't seen the show, so I don't know what exactly is the distinction is for them, but a barrister is a specific kind of lawyer, contrasted with it's counterpart, a solicitor. They have different rights and responsibilities in court. The US doesn't use a split system like this, but Japan's legal system already does (though with different names).

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters 14

Ramba Ral is dad of the forever.

Rinko is mom of the forever.

Gundam Build Fighters is the best Gundam since fucking G Gundam.

The Star Build Strike is the coolest mechanical design of '13 and '14.

13 days in and I already know what the Anime of the Year is.

THIS SHOW IS SO FUCKING GOOD! Is it next Monday yet?

Love Lab 11

0ltIFTY.jpg

JYoH3nH.jpg

7sLX6Hu.jpg

6PENDRr.jpg

Riko still can't tell the truth, eh? At least now there's yet another character that knows...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Buddy Complex 2
6kew9Xel.jpg

Welp, it's basically "whites" vs "browns" (Africa just gives up in the future). Except in the anime, all the "bad guys" are just white guys who are supposedly Russian. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Eureka 7 AO had more nuanced geopolitics that this show. lol

All of the stupidity of the Terminator references and whatnot are gone and now it seems to be yet another boring shounen mecha without any of the appeal of the VVV idiocy. I suppose there's a pseudo-yaoi relationship between the main character and some other lead pilot guy via the "Coupling" system, so DTL will be happy. But otherwise, I'm out.

Witchcraft Works 2
Which is also what I want to say about this show as well, given stuff like this:
ycHzjOXl.jpg

All girls want the white stuff in your body, don't you know.

But the stupid visual designs:
ddk2YQnl.jpg

And the dumb references:
q8jOcwll.jpg

w62LUIWl.jpg

Will, in the end, probably get me to at least scrub the show. Hooray for extremely lowered expectations. lol

Silver Spoon S2 01

This is a pretty faithful adaptation and all the funny elements are here but I always think that something is missing from this adaptation to make it actually good, I just can't say what. Maybe I'm just overthinking?

Hamatora 01
Wasn't feeling it until the super powers came into the picture and made this some sort of X-Men anime.

Chihayafuru S2 END - Days off are nice. I burned through this pretty quickly. So good. Maybe not as good as S1, felt very karuta-heavy with matches taking 1-2 full episodes at a time. And for something that is ostensibly a romance the only love going on was between people and cards. That and Taichi wanting to make a move but never doing so. But speaking of Taichi, overall I think he was far-and-away the best character in the show. Early in the first season he's presented as a character to hate, painted as arrogant and entitled, a rich kid with natural good looks and popularity. But he's clearly the most complex character and the one that has grown the most of the course of both seasons.

Man, I'll be so bummed out of there's not a season 3. You can't just end the show like that and leave me hanging.

CorvoSol

For reals guys This week's episode of Gundam Build Fighters had me pumped as all get out. Freaking, when
Ramba Ral stands back up
I wanted to cheer.

Nourin 1
It was sort of interesting and a bit funny though the idol thing seems to be so far as a plot point to create misunderstandings between the idol and the male lead

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru S2 END - Days off are nice. I burned through this pretty quickly. So good. Maybe not as good as S1, felt very karuta-heavy with matches taking 1-2 full episodes at a time. And for something that is ostensibly a romance the only love going on was between people and cards. That and Taichi wanting to make a move but never doing so. But speaking of Taichi, overall I think he was far-and-away the best character in the show. Early in the first season he's presented as a character to hate, painted as arrogant and entitled, a rich kid with natural good looks and popularity. But he's clearly the most complex character and the one that has grown the most of the course of both seasons.

Man, I'll be so bummed out of there's not a season 3. You can't just end the show like that and leave me hanging.

Honestly, the one thing that could save the manga/show for me is if they dropped all pretence altogether and just made the show a sports show and just make Chihaya x Arata canon already. Have Taichi hook up with Sumire, since they basically deserve each other, and then I wouldn't care that 99% of the manga is about playing cards over and over again.

There's certainly enough material for a S3, as the manga moves at such a glacial pacing that it makes Saki read like Sparknotes or Wikipedia, and I presume that - since it is clear that this is all contingent on manga sales and not anime sales - a S3 is extremely likely to happen. Unless, of course, they just cave and do a live action movie/series.

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 14

The pacing has hit the cadence of a SOL show, but I don't mind when the writing is this solid.

Iffy art and and overuse of recaps in the first half of the episodes hurt it, but otherwise, fun stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
yowamushi pedal - 14

The pacing has hit the cadence of a SOL show, but I don't mind when the writing is this solid.

Iffy art and and overuse of recaps in the first half of the episodes hurt it, but otherwise, fun stuff.
Did any of them start juicing yet?

There are so many random references that the anime makes that I'm not sure if I hate it - like when The Big Bang Theory or Community constantly wink at the audience at how they are nerds just like you! - or if I like it because they just make no sense.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yamato 2199 16-20

I don't want this to end. PLEASE CONTINUE FOREVER.

After this I gotta start watching shitty airing Winter anime.

Someone hold me and tell me it's gonna be OK? :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People should watch Time Jam after Yamato. Although it requires a very specific frame of mind and love of science fiction, admittedly.

Yamato 2199 16-20

Sadly its not going to be okay. Duckroll said there might be a new film. I hope for a second season.

Theonik

People should watch Time Jam after Yamato. Although it requires a very specific frame of mind and love of science fiction, admittedly.
And a strange affection for Satellite.

Yamato 2199 16-20

Sequel announcement soon believe.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's just not the same without any more Yamato to watch :(

Sadly its not going to be okay. Duckroll said there might be a new film. I hope for a second season.

Its not fair god dammit!

Why aren't Space Opera battle anime with slice of life elements, universe exploration and beautiful CG battles the norm for the industry?

Instead they give us high school settings and a new incest show every season.

Someone wake me up from this nightmare because this can't really be how it is! This is not real life.

Sequel announcement soon believe.

NewvVBc.gif

Its not fair god dammit!

Why aren't Space Opera battle anime with slice of life elements, universe exploration and beautiful CG battles the norm for the industry?

Instead they give us high school settings and a new incest show every season.

Someone wake me up from this nightmare because this can't really be how it is! This is not real life.

If it doesn't HAVE to be anime, sci-fi shows with everyday life shit is a norm for western tv shows. I'm gonna probably watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes at some point since that's apparently the only other really good space opera anime.

Go_Ly_Dow

If it doesn't HAVE to be anime, sci-fi shows with everyday life shit is a norm for western tv shows. I'm gonna probably watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes at some point since that's apparently the only other really good space opera anime.

I'm not even a big sci-fi fan.

I just love how it is set and explores a Universe that is based on our own with great realization and interpretations. Settings like this really spark my imagination!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom