• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously people Time Jam is legit. The ENG dub especially.
Oh god.
lol

It is very different from Yamato, which is why I don't know if there's an unconditional recommendation. But it's very much born of the same 60s/70s science fiction mold and keeps the spirit of that era of science fiction alive. Yeah, it looks "cheap" by comparison, but the heart of the show is what you're watching it for if you are a fan of Golden Age/Silver Age scifi.

Narag

lol

It is very different from Yamato, which is why I don't know if there's an unconditional recommendation. But it's very much born of the same 60s/70s science fiction mold and keeps the spirit of that era of science fiction alive. Yeah, it looks "cheap" by comparison, but the heart of the show is what you're watching it for if you are a fan of Golden Age/Silver Age scifi.

Doesn't hurt the leads have some chemistry and Laureline's kind of a strong female in the few eps i saw.

Witchcraft Works 2
And the dumb references:
q8jOcwll.jpg

w62LUIWl.jpg

Why does her face look so familiar when I've never seen the show?

lol

it's also on crunchyroll. so i'll add it to my list of must watch. art style looks un-moe. Which is a plus.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why does her face look so familiar when I've never seen the show?
A) All anime girls look the same.
B) If you squint, maybe she looks like Mio? lol

Doesn't hurt the leads have some chemistry and Laureline's kind of a strong female in the few eps i saw.
Yeah, although I would say the relationship is very Preacher-like, if one is familiar with that comic book.

it's also on crunchyroll. so i'll add it to my list of must watch. art style looks un-moe. Which is a plus.
That's because it's a French cartoon co-produced by Satelite or some such.
Yeah, although I kind of wish it had that 70s/80s look:
84ODf9nl.jpg

Although I guess at that point, it would just be French Space Cobra. lol

Faithless

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

This will air on TV. And is maybe the culmination of my life's work.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

A) All anime girls look the same.
B) If you squint, maybe she looks like Mio? lol

Yeah, although I would say the relationship is very Preacher-like, if one is familiar with that comic book.

I read Preacher. How exactly do you mean it?

Either ways the Crunchyroll one seems to be in english. Was the DUB being good that someone said earlier a joke or is it real?

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

Haha that's awesome. Especially the Bleach part.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

lulz at the Bleach part and the Naked Goku part. Got a lot of references lol.

Narag

Yeah, although I kind of wish it had that 70s/80s look:
84ODf9nl.jpg

i meant to buy more of these as they came out in English. whoops

Ultimate Anime Hero.

not bad. bleach part dead on :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, it was a doujin drawn by Jingrock

...er I mean, sure let's go with choice "A"
I suppose that part of anime heroics wouldn't make a Fox video! lol

I read Preacher. How exactly do you mean it?
Particularly the Jesse/Tulip hate-love relationship and working dynamic. Part of Laureline's "gimmick" comes from the fact that she's underestimated by Valerian, which is why she gets to stand out as a strong heroine. It's a type of female role that feels very specific to a certain era anyway.

Either ways the Crunchyroll one seems to be in english. Was the DUB being good that someone said earlier a joke or is it real?
It was never broadcast in Japan, so there isn't a Japanese version. By the end of the series, the dub grew on me anyway. I wouldn't say it's particularly noteworthy... but once I put it in my mind that this was a show made for Europeans, it worked for me.

i meant to buy more of these as they came out in English. whoops
I never did. :(

Ultimate Anime Hero.

This is a love letter to shounen and I am loving it!

Fantastic work! If you ever make a "sequel", you should include some super obscure stuff. Though I guess you wouldn't be thinking of that at the moment if it's the culmination of your life's work. Either way, damn good job and congrats!

Theonik

It was never broadcast in Japan, so there isn't a Japanese version. By the end of the series, the dub grew on me anyway. I wouldn't say it's particularly noteworthy... but once I put it in my mind that this was a show made for Europeans, it worked for me.
Actually it did get a Japanese version. But they only showed 13 episodes out of the whole thing.
Both the French and English dubs are excellent though.

Mothman91

What are some of the new good anime that came out this past week? Some recommendations would be fine, don't really like school life stuff, more into action n adventure stuff.

I suppose that part of anime heroics wouldn't make a Fox video! lol

Particularly the Jesse/Tulip hate-love relationship and working dynamic. Part of Laureline's "gimmick" comes from the fact that she's underestimated by Valerian, which is why she gets to stand out as a strong heroine. It's a type of female role that feels very specific to a certain era anyway.

I never did. :(

We all know the real love interest of Preacher was Assface. You read it wrong.

qmQub2A.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually it did get a Japanese version. But they only showed 13 episodes out of the whole thing.
Both the French and English dubs are excellent though.
I'd be curious to watch the French dub. I want to believe that would be the "best" version, but maybe that's just foreign-bias. lol

CorvoSol

Ultimate Anime Hero.

"And whatever powers are in Gundam SEED!"

////////////////////////////////////dead

lol Valerian and Laureline is like playing Xenoblade all over again. Super british people. Maybe I'm so used to dubs being american, but god damn it'll be hard to get used to

cnet128

Banned
So like, despite the fact that I'm still watching an obscene number of shows this season, I feel like I may have actually found something resembling enough free time in my schedule to maybe fit in a bit of backlog. (The fact that the US shows I was watching last season are on a break until March probably has something to do with it...)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to maintain this at all, but let's be optimistic and give it a shot!

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 6

Ahhhh, it's good to see you guys again! *hugs Nozomi and friends*

Soyeah, looks like a Rin focus episode here (I seem to recall before I left off, the rest of the Cures had all had focus episodes to debut their new attacks, so Rin was last in line. Of course she was.)

In this episode, everyone is sleepy. The King of the Donut Kingdom is sleepy because he just woke up from his Rose Pact hibernation. Takehito Koyasu is sleepy because his boss made him stay up all night rewriting his reports on the Cures' abilities. And Rin is sleepy because she's been up all night designing accessories on account of trying to do too many things and not having enough hours in the day (I know that feel, Rin).

So Takehito Koyasu is all "gimme Rose Pact + Donut King" and everyone is all like "um no" and then Rin shoots a flaming football at him because the writers realised they were never going to actually bother giving Rin's futsal activities any screentime so they thought they'd just make it into her finisher instead.

And then it turns out that the letter Syrup has been trying to deliver the whole episode might actually be important so it's OFF TO THE PALMIER KINGDOM! ROAD TRIP! WOOOO! ...Uh, well, orange-flying-penguin-plane-trip. You know what I mean.

fertygo

Witchcraft Works 2
Which is also what I want to say about this show as well, given stuff like this:
ycHzjOXl.jpg

All girls want the white stuff in your body, don't you know.

But the stupid visual designs:
ddk2YQnl.jpg

And the dumb references:
q8jOcwll.jpg

w62LUIWl.jpg

Will, in the end, probably get me to at least scrub the show. Hooray for extremely lowered expectations. lol

How the "bang" count as reference?

CorvoSol

Paranoia Agent marks the time Kon lost his ability to actually use dreams and illusions coherently in anime.

I kinda just wish the show would go back to being about cops investigating an ambiguously paranatural case and not this surrealist slice of life black comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom