• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 15

Oooooh! So that's what hunter mean! Someone must be lion!

Well the Hunter exam arc is close to being done at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It undercuts your stated reasoning and makes it seem like you're just making up an elaborate smokescreen to deflect questions about the matter.

After all, you evidently can do it. You just don't want to.
I'll do it for something that I can't find here and now, and at the time shoujo was definitely one of those things. Like I said, I did it with Breaking Bad, and I did it with Friday Night Lights before that. But a show really needs to get its hooks in me if I'm not seeking it out for some reason. It's just much easier for me to watch something guaranteed like Roseanne or MASH if I'm going into old shows. And even then, I feel like I'm already missing out by not watching shows like All in the Family or other watershed/landmark American shows that define modern American television (which admittedly, is cultural bias/privileging).

I mean, technically I'm at like episode 15 of Utena. I just haven't really felt the motivation to go back to it. Stopping Bebop at episode 4 happened for the same reason. Even the upscale to 1080p for both shows - which admittedly makes them look great - was just not enough of a hook for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know why I'm defending lazy-ass SHAFT, but I don't think that's entirely accurate. The background art is the usual SHAFT rubbish but in all other areas it doesn't really resemble the flat, sterile and empty world of Monogatari. It doesn't actually really have a distinct aesthetic, it's just looks vaguely generic.
The background fluff is more generic like other anime. All of the Shaft-isms come from how the characters are depicted. I really did lose my shit when they basically used the SZS "I'm in despair" shot for the main character. I couldn't tell if it was lazy, parodic, satire, or just genius.

Except different things happen in each iteration in Groundhog's Day.
Different things happen in each iteration of Endless Eight as well. It's not like they ran the same episode 8 times.

It'd be easier to understand if you just said you didn't like it. Otherwise, I find it hard to take you seriously.
I find there's a difference between disinterest and dislike. For me, I can say I disliked Penguindrum. But I still finished it because I watched it "live". I don't have any strong feelings toward any of those old shows, and in the case of something like Space Cobra and City Hunter, I liked what I saw. But today like two new big PC games came out, there is probably new anime out, there is definitely new television out, let alone Oscar season is at its peak and there are dozens of excellent new movies to watch. Perhaps keeping up with the zeitgeist is a problem - but short of dropping a medium altogether (I already dropped sports, music, and comic books) - I don't know what else I can do.

Branduil

Bebop not looked outdated at all, its might be the prettiest TV anime of all time (CG aside) in fact no anime/cartoon outside the one from 60/70s with extremely cheap technique looked "outdated"

Ironically, the most outdated period of anime is the early '00s when they switched to digital and now all of those shows are locked at SD resolutions forever :(

Different things happen in each iteration of Endless Eight as well. It's not like they ran the same episode 8 times.

The same things happened, they just storyboarded and animated them differently. It's not really anything like Groundhog's Day outside of the premise. In fact I can't think of any other story with a similar premise that was stupid/spiteful enough to do what Endless Eight did.

Jarmel

Banned
Ironically, the most outdated period of anime is the early '00s when they switched to digital and now all of those shows are locked at SD resolutions forever :(

:(

Forever stuck in the digital ghetto. The switch to digital is one of the worst things to happen to anime.

The same things happened, they just storyboarded and animated them differently. It's not really anything like Groundhog's Day outside of the premise. In fact I can't think of any other story with a similar premise that was stupid/spiteful enough to do what Endless Eight did.

If it had been even a quarter as good as Groundhog Day, nobody would be complaining.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This really is the Endless Eight of conversations, so I'll just pull a Kyon and convince you to do your summer homework and get us out of this particular loop.

Branduil

:(

Forever stuck in the digital ghetto. The switch to digital is one of the worst things to happen to anime.

Nah, it's more a problem of a lack of foresight than the switch to digital itself.

It's not just animation either, the Star Wars prequels(LOL) are forever locked at sub-1080p resolution because of the primitive digital camera used.

Narag

Hunter x Hunter 112

This was the point when the narrator became a pain in the ass for me. Seeing it in animated form has changed that. This arc is godly.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, it's more a problem of a lack of foresight than the switch to digital itself.

It's not just animation either, the Star Wars prequels(LOL) are forever locked at sub-1080p resolution because of the primitive digital camera used.

The problem is that even stuff produced now will be stuck when we switch to 4k. That's why stuff like film and cel are better, as the limits are higher.

Nafe

What is this Gundam and why are you excited?

Thanks Nafe! (and everyone else)

So am I too old for anime yet?

Sure. :)
Again though, I don't actually have any kind of file or anything.

Are you one of those fans who have to sit down so that the kids can see over your head?!

Haha. I still haven't watched the Smile PreCure! movie yet. If I see it before the end of the month then I can vote for it as far as AOTY! (maybe it's even better than Wolf Children!? ;p) Then I won't have any more Smile to watch though...

I think you dropped Doki Doki but are you going to take a look at Happiness Charge (or HapCha)?

Narag

fucking finally

RPSY0nkl.jpg

Mazinger Z original TV Series episodes 1-46. Coming on DVD April 29th 2014. Japanese language, English subtitles.

Quasar

It is - in essence if not literally - the same episode eight times. Imagine Groundhog's Day spread out across 8 weeks of broadcast television. Fucking genius.

Thank god I came to it late so I could fast forward through much of it. Even then I finished it angry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What is this Gundam and why are you excited?

Sure. :)
Again though, I don't actually have any kind of file or anything.

Haha. I still haven't watched the Smile PreCure! movie yet. If I see it before the end of the month then I can vote for it as far as AOTY! (maybe it's even better than Wolf Children!? ;p) Then I won't have any more Smile to watch though...

I think you dropped Doki Doki but are you going to take a look at Happiness Charge (or HapCha)?
Did the Smile Precure movie come out this year? lol
With DokiDoki, I think the end of PreCure-GAF kind of killed any motivation to watch it. Although I have picked it up again in the lead up to the finale. I guess I'll check out the new one, but I haven't really thought about it.

Thank god I came to it late so I could fast forward through much of it. Even then I finished it angry.
This is why I think Endless Eight is genius. If this is how you felt after eight cycles, imagine how Nagato felt after thousands?

Branduil

The problem is that even stuff produced now will be stuck when we switch to 4k. That's why stuff like film and cel are better, as the limits are higher.

Well, even stuff made today is usually 720p instead of 1080p.

The main problems with film and cels are that they're expensive and not very flexible. The switch to digital saved studios a ton of money in costs that can be used elsewhere, and opened up the ability to use new animation techniques.

cajunator

Banned

Thats true actually. Unfortunately shows like Kinos Journey and Haibane Renmei are stuck in this visual doldrum.

fucking finally

RPSY0nkl.jpg

Ewww DVD :(

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

This will air on TV. And is maybe the culmination of my life's work.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

You also wrote the Naruto skit, right?

BPGHz3V.gif

Keep on using your influence to make even more anime-based sketches.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, even stuff made today is usually 720p instead of 1080p.

The main problems with film and cels are that they're expensive and not very flexible. The switch to digital saved studios a ton of money in costs that can be used elsewhere, and opened up the ability to use new animation techniques.

Oh I know. That's why stuff from BONES which isn't even 720p is going to look fucking awful on those brand spankin' new 4K TVs rolling out.

There are definitely advantages to digital production but for shows people are going to watch down the road, it did a lot of harm too.

From memory, I think there were a few different activities that only happened in certain episodes.

But they were 85% or so all the same, and it was pretty torturous to get through.

Smile Precure movie is like... what you would've expected from Smile Precure based on the premise it was sold to you as.

As for Hapcha...

xN5NsKT.jpg

Branduil

Oh I know. That's why stuff from BONES which isn't even 720p is going to look fucking awful on those brand spankin' new 4K TVs rolling out.

There are definitely advantages to digital production but for shows people are going to watch down the road, it did a lot of harm too.

I want studios to move to 60fps for camera movements before even thinking about 4K.

BluWacky

Noragami 1

I'm a bit behind the times, as always, but I found this to be a rather pleasant surprise. The premise holds virtually no novelty in terms of anime action adventures, and neither does the dialogue really, but not only does the direction feel confident and assured but the tone is handled quite nicely - there's comparatively little hysteria to the comedy and the central characters all show a level of competence and depth that I wasn't expecting. While the first episode is probably not something to base production quality off, Bones have done a nice job here (it's not glorious in the same way Space Dandy is, obviously, but there's lots of good work here).

A tentative thumbs up!

Jex

The background fluff is more generic like other anime. All of the Shaft-isms come from how the characters are depicted. I really did lose my shit when they basically used the SZS "I'm in despair" shot for the main character. I couldn't tell if it was lazy, parodic, satire, or just genius.
Yeah, that was pretty OTT for an inside joke, but a look of the character depictions are straight from the manga, which I checked up on for some odd reason. Bizarrely, for a SHAFT show, the parts that were the different to the manga usually involved actually good looking cuts of animation that seemed to be there just for fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Endless Eight isn't the most glorious troll in anime history. That undermines it as being just a joke. It is a stroke of genius and should be regarded only as such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, that was pretty OTT for an inside joke, but a look of the character depictions are straight from the manga, which I checked up on for some odd reason. Bizarrely, for a SHAFT show, the parts that were the different to the manga usually involved actually good looking cuts of animation that seemed to be there just for fun.
Like, are they making this show strictly for SHAFT fans? I guess I'm okay if they are, since I would probably just jump out a window if one of the characters just showed up with wideface, but it's just so weird.

The fact that this is a true haremshit - something that you would toss off to like JCStaff or something as a throwaway anime that people forget the moment it goes off the air - makes me wonder if they're just doing this to fuck with any potential audience that might be watching.

Maybe it's stealth advertising for all their other anime?!

Nafe

I haven't seen and don't know anything about Mazinger but I watched an episode of that Robot Girls Z show and it was pretty fun. The opening definitely seemed to be a tribute to older style shows. I have to agree that I felt bad for the villain characters. They kind of just got pummeled. The girls pointing out they could have just attacked the base when they were gone was funny though.

Why, it's the Gundam Maxter, pride of Neo America!
And his pilot, Chibodee Crocket!! (in alt colors!)

I'll have to take your word for it then as I don't know what and who that is,haha.

Did the Smile Precure movie come out this year? lol
With DokiDoki, I think the end of PreCure-GAF kind of killed any motivation to watch it. Although I have picked it up again in the lead up to the finale. I guess I'll check out the new one, but I haven't really thought about it.

Yeah, I think the Smile movie was released in March.

I thought PreCure-Gaf was still around? Regulus left and madp thinks he's junking up the thread by talking about it for whatever reason but there's still weekly comments about Doki Doki and I still see comments from time to time about others such as Heartcatch.

After watching Yamato 2199 I think of Sanada whenever King Jikochu talks since it's the same seiyuu,haha.
Ok, I'll be watching HapCha myself most likely.

Mature

They'd all look appalling today. With the exception of Utena, those shows are all hella impressive in terms of raw animation talent and studios at the top of their game.
In Bebop, all of the ships would be in CG, but all the warp gates would be inexplicably hand drawn.

Detective Conan 279:
Conan getting really lax with even keeping up appearances. I love how he just busts out a minutes long explanation of a very detailed thought process, and then Takagi is just like 'wait a minute, how are you figuring all this out?'. It only gets worse from here. He also keeps playing things pretty close to the chest with what he shares with Agasa. That's definitely one of Conan's biggest flaws. First part of the case in general was just okay, but Haibara's scenes were all really good. I always like it when we get some melancholic scenes with Haibara connecting something to her own life.
Takagi and Sato are great with Conan— It almost seems like he feels he doesn't have to keep up appearances as much around them. The best example of this is the Parade Bomber case where Conan basically confesses there's something different about himself to Takagi. I think since they're younger detectives, they buy more into the wonderment and perspective of a kid and value it. Perhaps they can suspend their disbelief a bit better than the inspectors.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought PreCure-Gaf was still around? Regulus left and madp thinks he's junking up the thread by talking about it for whatever reason but there's still weekly comments about Doki Doki and I still see comments from time to time about others such as Heartcatch.

It's a far cry from when Smile was airing anyway!

Jex

Like, are they making this show strictly for SHAFT fans? I guess I'm okay if they are, since I would probably just jump out a window if one of the characters just showed up with wideface, but it's just so weird.

The fact that this is a true haremshit - something that you would toss off to like JCStaff or something as a throwaway anime that people forget the moment it goes off the air - makes me wonder if they're just doing this to fuck with any potential audience that might be watching.

I don't think they really care. As an adaptation of 'harem shit' it's sole purpose is, presumably, to bolster manga sales so they're probably just having fun.

Dresden

I think it might be just down to the people working on this show being more competent/giving more fucks than the Monogatari staff.

Generally, Nisekoi just looks better by virtue of not being saturated with blurry white lighting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think they really care. As an adaptation of 'harem shit' it's sole purpose is, presumably, to bolster manga sales so they're probably just having fun.
Honestly, I hope they drop some ef: a tale of memories references somewhere, just because they can.
To be serious though, I really do hope they make a cut to a live action/stop motion gag at some point. That's basically the one big visual motif that was missing from the first episode.

I think it might be just down to the people working on this show being more competent/giving more fucks than the Monogatari staff.

Generally, Nisekoi just looks better by virtue of not being saturated with blurry white lighting.
You say that as if Monogatari's strength isn't the acting/writing!

The director of Nisekoi was the assistant director for all of the SZS series, so I suspect that particular reference was more something personal for him. Maybe it was even a "Boy, I wish I was still working on SZS" thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The director of Nisekoi was the assistant director for all of the SZS series, so I suspect that particular reference was more something personal for him. Maybe it was even a "Boy, I wish I was still working on SZS" thing.
Sure, but then there were just all the Monogatari-isms. If I blinked, I could have sworn I was watching short-haired Senjougahara on the screen instead of some boring harem protag.

Dresden

Sure, but then there were just all the Monogatari-isms. If I blinked, I could have sworn I was watching short-haired Senjougahara on the screen instead of some boring harem protag.

It's what years of forced directorial 'quirks' does to people working on it. I mean, it's what being SHAFT means at this point, right? A consistent display of certain affectations across different series. Along with the terrible scheduling habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom