• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they really care. As an adaptation of 'harem shit' it's sole purpose is, presumably, to bolster manga sales so they're probably just having fun.

I enjoy the idea that SHAFT are just doing whatever they want with Nisekoi. Honestly, like you alluded to, they might as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's what years of forced directorial 'quirks' does to people working on it. I mean, it's what being SHAFT means at this point, right? A consistent display of certain affectations across different series. Along with the terrible scheduling habits.
Reply to your edit!

The thing is though, each of their shows look distinct from each other. Yeah, there are the head tilts, but you can't say HidaSketch looks like Natsu no Arashi looks like Arakawa looks like Denpa looks like Sasami-san looks like Monogatari. There is a deliberate intent to push visual metaphors and well, visual stylistic gimmicks in each show, but it's not like they are making the same show over and over again.

(Unlike, say, KyoAni).

cnet128

Banned
Endless Eight isn't the most glorious troll in anime history. That undermines it as being just a joke. It is a stroke of genius and should be regarded only as such.

Endless Eight isn't the most glorious troll in anime history. That undermines it as being just a joke. It is a stroke of genius and should be regarded only as such.

WE'VE ENTERED AN ENDLESS RECURSION OF TIME

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 8

Syrup focus episode...? Those are some pretty damn intelligent
little birds
, sending a hidden message complete with wordplay like that.

Also I like the way the Cures protect the clock tower from the giant monster that's attacking it by toppling the giant monster directly onto the buildings behind. Oh, we don't care about those buildings, those have probably just got people in them! (Actually I'm pretty sure damage from magical battles is automatically fixed once the battle is over, which raises the question of why protecting the clock tower is so important anyway...but mustn't think too hard about these things =p)

Also that photo of Milk watering a glowing blue rose definitely wasn't foreshadowing at all.

Taruranto

Hamatora #2

SD2AE51.jpg

THEY'RE HUMAN..... BRAAAAAAINS

Man, this is so painful mediocre. Looking at MAL. the script writer is a total newbie, I'm not surprised.

I'll probably keep watching 'cause it's an anime original and I'm not following many things this season, but meh.

Takagi and Sato are great with Conan— It almost seems like he feels he doesn't have to keep up appearances as much around them. The best example of this is the Parade Bomber case where Conan basically confesses there's something different about himself to Takagi. I think since they're younger detectives, they buy more into the wonderment and perspective of a kid and value it. Perhaps they can suspend their disbelief a bit better than the inspectors.

Yeah, those interactions get really great because all of the younger cops seem a lot more willing to accept Conan as being a pretty smart guy (and maybe something more, at least Takagi has had some suspicions about that at some point), so you get something a lot different compared to Megure being really set in his ways. Detective Boys + Satou and Takagi always gets you some great moments from each group.

Also doesn't help that
DokiDoki is kinda ass

That too. But we have 2 weeks left until it's done and put out of its misery.

Hitokage converted them to Doremi-Gaf...

...maybe HapCha will bring us together again!

There's the new Sailor Moon as well...maybe...
hopefully...

Doremi-GAF is kind of difficult to cultivate in comparison to Precure though. Hopefully HapCha is better to the point that it'll be easy to cultivate new people.

Jex

He looks dramatically different in these two shots. Particularly the neck.

Quite so. The lack of consistency between the character designs is often done for humorous purposes e.g. Ryo has a standard character design, a more 'handsome' character design and a ton of wacky gag ones. Although, in the above mentioned example, it's just one of those cases of 80's characters looking completely different in different shots. To think people still complain about 'off model' these days when it's barely anything compared to how bad it used to be!

Non non Biyori - 01:
That was pretty relaxing. Can somehow relate too as my hometown had only 6000 people. Originally I was going to enroll to village elementary school where I would have had something like 5 classmates but they abolished the school months before beginning of semester. Then I enrolled to the bigger school in town (25 classmates lol).

Branduil

Quite so. The lack of consistency between the character designs is often done for humorous purposes e.g. Ryo has a standard character design, a more 'handsome' character design and a ton of wacky gag ones. Although, in the above mentioned example, it's just one of those cases of 80's characters looking completely different in different shots. To think people still complain about 'off model' these days when it's barely anything compared to how bad it used to be!

Yeah but at least he has 7-tone shading or whatever.

Bombless

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 18

I had a suspicion about what Okita was planning to do, but the way it unfolded...holy shit. I laughed maniacally during the
charge through the fleet.

Twist after twist, after twist, good god, a show of the forever this one is. And there are still 8 episodes left?!? This will be a run to the finish line.

Ryo Saeba, truly the hero that anime needs.

Umibozu > Ryo.

Shergal

The truth is that most of the time people aren't complaining about off-model, but about good animation. Incidentally, Milos got a lot of shit from many places due to the "QUALITY animation" (????)

Nafe

Got a director and pushed back to July.

Yeah, I saw that. I was meaning hopefully it turns out to be a good show.

Doremi-GAF is kind of difficult to cultivate in comparison to Precure though. Hopefully HapCha is better to the point that it'll be easy to cultivate new people.

Hm, really? I haven't seen Doremi yet but most of the comments I can recall seeing people seemed to think that Doremi was better than PreCure, so I didn't think it would be that bad.

was bored...

cardfight vanguard 1-2

not a fan of pussy protag and kinda pedo looking rival, but i do like how they treat it as a card game (imagine a world lmao), and they did a decent enough job explaining the rules.

The truth is that most of the time people aren't complaining about off-model, but about good animation. Incidentally, Milos got a lot of shit from many places due to the "QUALITY animation" (????)

I think a fair number of anime viewers care more about how detailed, orderly, and precise the show looks in stills than how good it looks in motion.

Branduil

As people approach the end of Yamato 2199, I feel it's fair to say
"REVIEW THE TAPE WITH THE SCRUTINY OF AN NHL REFEREE"
because of the discussion I had with duckroll and Bob_Coffee yesterday. The spoiler there really isn't a spoiler, and you'll know what I mean when you get to the actual scene. It's just funny if you miss it though. lol

Which part were you talking about?

Hm, really? I haven't seen Doremi yet but most of the comments I can recall seeing people seemed to think that Doremi was better than PreCure, so I didn't think it would be that bad.

Well, truthfully, it is better. However, despite the Precure franchise being rather massive, it's biggest advantage is that we can sell a season since they're not related to each other outside of Max Heart and GoGo (fuck these two). Ojamajo Doremi requires people to sell people on a show that is 216 episodes long (factoring in movies and Naisho).

That and the other advantage for Precure is that I could be shitting on Doki, but despite that, there were others who shown interest into the show. That is how easy it is to sell Precure.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 11

Holy shit,
he ripped that guy's heart out! He just ripped out the whole freaking heart!
This series is deceptively dark.

You've seen nothing.

That was also censored in the 2011 version.
You see the actual heart in the manga and 1999 anime. There was no shirt to get in the way, Killua just ripped it out with his bare hands and crushed it.

2011 version is still better though, since the censorship is completely gone when the good stuff happens.

BluWacky

Little girls that act vaguely like actual little girls do and no fight sequences, a fairly lethal combination in terms of drumming up enthusiasm!

fertygo

I think a fair number of anime viewers care more about how detailed, orderly, and precise the show looks in stills than how good it looks in motion.

As much I like expressive sakuga with crazy motion. I still prefer Mitsuo Iso's detailed cut and effective use of frame.

Crazy fight sakuga in Dandy eps 2 with lack of detail in face and body proportion isn't my preferences.

Jex

I find there's a difference between disinterest and dislike. For me, I can say I disliked Penguindrum. But I still finished it because I watched it "live". I don't have any strong feelings toward any of those old shows, and in the case of something like Space Cobra and City Hunter, I liked what I saw. But today like two new big PC games came out, there is probably new anime out, there is definitely new television out, let alone Oscar season is at its peak and there are dozens of excellent new movies to watch. Perhaps keeping up with the zeitgeist is a problem - but short of dropping a medium altogether (I already dropped sports, music, and comic books) - I don't know what else I can do.

You sounds like you're soon going to be one of those people who only cares about a show if it's on Netflix or else it might as well not exist!

Oh I know, which makes it exciting!

When does the "good stuff" happen, in your judgement?

Well, "good stuff" isn't the right term since I find it good/great from the beginning. However, the arc people refer to when they hype up Hunter x Hunter is among the best in the genre. I think it starts around 39 in the 2011 series.

Come to think of it, the censorship is actually pretty much gone by the arc before it.

Well, truthfully, it is better. However, despite the Precure franchise being rather massive, it's biggest advantage is that we can sell a season since they're not related to each other outside of Max Heart and GoGo (fuck these two). Ojamajo Doremi requires people to sell people on a show that is 216 episodes long (factoring in movies and Naisho).

That and the other advantage for Precure is that I could be shitting on Doki, but despite that, there were others who shown interest into the show. That is how easy it is to sell Precure.

I think the main reason it's harder to get a "Doremi-GAF" going is that it's more difficult to get people to watch older shows than it is to get them to watch new or recent shows. (See firehawk.)

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 11

Holy shit,
he ripped that guy's heart out! He just ripped out the whole freaking heart!
This series is deceptively dark.

And that's just the heavily censored version, too.

Hunter x Hunter can definitely pull out some really dark stuff. Especially in a couple of the later story arcs.

I think that scene was one of the first moments in the series that just made me go 'holy shit, I didn't expect to see that'.

Hunter x Hunter can definitely pull out some really dark stuff. Especially in a couple of the later story arcs.

I think that scene was one of the first moments in the series that just made me go 'holy shit, I didn't expect to see that'.

I'm still amazed at what Togashi did at the end of the special Kurapika chapters, even if it was just text. That is NOT something you would ever see in modern shounen jump.

Jarmel

Banned
So I started playing Nier and wanted to find out who did the music. So I run into Monaca which I knew I had heard the names somewhere and found that they composed the Star Driver OST along with Kosaki. Oh fuck, I'm starting to get really hyped for Captain Earth.

Dresden

Reply to your edit!

The thing is though, each of their shows look distinct from each other. Yeah, there are the head tilts, but you can't say HidaSketch looks like Natsu no Arashi looks like Arakawa looks like Denpa looks like Sasami-san looks like Monogatari. There is a deliberate intent to push visual metaphors and well, visual stylistic gimmicks in each show, but it's not like they are making the same show over and over again.

(Unlike, say, KyoAni).

Yeah (I mean, Sasami is watchable in a way that later Monogatari episodes are not), but as you said, the gimmicks they push are what marks itself out as being 'SHAFT,' hence the endless cataloging of headtilts, etc, etc. It's not the same show being remade over and over again, but the quirks remain, and that's unhealthy and restrictive as hell.

I guess what I'm saying is that anyone with talent should move to DEEN.

It's especially shocking because
you have this serial killer with an imposing figure who looks like a real threat, and you're expecting this tough, heated battle between him and Killua, but instead Killua just calmly walks out and effortlessly kills him in an understated yet horrific fashion.
It really subverts your expectations.

So I started playing Nier and wanted to find out who did the music. So I run into Monaca which I knew I had heard the names somewhere and found that they composed the Star Driver OST along with Kosaki. Oh fuck, I'm starting to get really hyped for Captain Earth.

Speaking of Nier, is this your first time playing it? If so let me just suggest to not give up due to the fishing mission, it's infamous. Also, do at least one new game+ as the stuff they add on the new game + is amazing and makes you feel like a piece of shit. Different experience indeed.

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking of Nier, is this your first time playing it? If so let me just suggest to not give up due to the fishing mission, it's infamous. Also, do at least one new game+ as the stuff they add on the new game + is amazing and makes you feel like a piece of shit. Different experience indeed.

Yea it's my first time. Eyes are bleeding from the jaggies everywhere but I'm getting used to it.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 1

Ojamajo Hana-chan. Knew it was coming, which is why I kinda put this off. She was the best character in the show other than maybe Pop. Now...I'm not sure what'll happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which part were you talking about?
Oh, that
Dessler lives, even at the end after he blows up his fucking ship
. It was funny when people didn't notice that. lol

You sounds like you're soon going to be one of those people who only cares about a show if it's on Netflix or else it might as well not exist!
Funny enough, I never got around to Orange is the New Black, and while it's one of the best TV shows of 2013, I can't see myself ever getting to it.
I better marathon through House of Cards S2, because the alternative is I never watch it. :p

Yeah (I mean, Sasami is watchable in a way that later Monogatari episodes are not), but as you said, the gimmicks they push are what marks itself out as being 'SHAFT,' hence the endless cataloging of headtilts, etc, etc. It's not the same show being remade over and over again, but the quirks remain, and that's unhealthy and restrictive as hell.

I guess what I'm saying is that anyone with talent should move to DEEN.
I still like the Shaft-isms. :(
It gives them a sense of auteur-ship - which includes all the negative connotations attached to that word.
But then again, I'm also perfectly fine with SatoJun making the same show over and over again, so maybe I'm not the best person to justify Shaft's Shaftiness.

I think the main reason it's harder to get a "Doremi-GAF" going is that it's more difficult to get people to watch older shows than it is to get them to watch new or recent shows. (See firehawk.)

That isn't the problem. Precure in itself is pretty old, as well as longer running. The main problem is the length and time needed to dedicate to watching Doremi. Nevermind Doremi's "hook" being a lot more subtle in comparison to Precure.

New Captain Earth scans are out (this season is so underwhelming I'm already looking forward the next)

The character designs, outside of super tan chick, look so bland. I'm not asking for Katanagatari... no wait yes I'm asking for more Katanagatari designs.

Ao and his girlfriend, Naru. (Now featuring Misty from Pokemon: The Animation)

I keep hearing the joke she's the romantic interest/girlfriend, is it confirmed?

Yea it's my first time. Eyes are bleeding from the jaggies everywhere but I'm getting used to it.

It's not the best game out there, either visually or gameplay wise, but it IS a very good campaign and has very good characters. You're in for an experience on one of the most underrated games from the last gen.

Revy is cool but she wasn't my "first".

Phi Brain (S1) 23-25

The only way to summarize this would be
BOKU NO KAITO, BOKU NO KAITO, BOKU NO KAITO
. That said, if the show ended here, I wouldn't have been... terribly disappointed, even with some of the loose ends. With that said...
i think the final fight of S1 wasn't that good even when all of S1 was pretty good.

Phi Brain (S2) 26-40

(Yes, I was on a Phi Brain binge yesterday). And here we meet the Orpheus Order and a bunch of people Kaito apparently pissed off. I don't necessarily agree, with the information we have now, that
Kaito had anything to do with Freecell's mother dying. I think that's just Freecell placing blame on Kaito as a way to cope with it.
With that said, Freecell... is totally not well. He's kind of like Rook was in the later season 1 episodes.

Also, Cubik needs to win against Melancholy at least once. He's lost twice in a row so far. At least Ana won the second time against Mizerka (I really like Ana episodes. They're so howawaan~).
Oh, and Rook and Bishop making a comeback was the best part of last episode.
Cubik didn't lose ... he was too busy doing so much other stuff he couldn't win.
..is the escuse i would have taken normally , but the truth is that melancoly is just superior.

Well, in retrospect you can kind of see why they did it. Clearly Kadokawa/KyoAni had plans to make a movie of Disappearance first, and then there was a conversation like this:

Executive A: Guys, we have a problem. The plot of Disappearance specifically references an earlier short story that we didn't cover in our original adaptation. We have to cover that somehow before releasing the movie.

Executive B: So make another series of the anime, I guess? Haven't the fans been asking for that forever? What's the issue?

Executive A: We don't have enough material to fill a whole new cour! There are only, like, three stories we haven't covered that take place before Disappearance, and none of them have enough impact to carry a season!

Executive B: Well, we did that weird non-chronological airing thing last time, right? Let's keep thinking out of the box. If the new stories aren't awesome enough on their own, maybe we could just slot the new stuff into the old season. Call it an upgrade.

Executive A: I…suppose that could work. We could surprise the fans by pretending it's just a rerun and then BOOM! New stuff. Yeah! We'd be the talk of the internet!

Executive B: Then let's go with that!

Executive A: There's still a problem, though. Even if we slot them into the old season, we're still gonna have to fill a whole second cour with these new episodes. Those three stories are never going to fill a whole cour - two of them are tiny one-chapter deals, and even the big one is five episodes at most.

Executive C: Oh, just shove in a few recap episodes, what's so hard about that?

Executive A: If you make a suggestion like that again, I'm sending you back to Shaft. We don't do recaps.

Executive B: Seriously, dude. That was low. Still, we do have to pad the material out somehow. How about expanding on one of the stories?

Executive A: Go on...

Executive B: Well…If I'm remembering correctly, one of the stories revolves around a time loop. You only get to see the final loop in the novel, but if we showed some of the others…

Executive A: What's that story called again?

Executive B: Endless Eight.

Executive A: …Endless…Eight…?

Executive B: …

Executive C: …

Executive A: Gentlemen, we are about to enact the most glorious troll in all of anime history.
Love how cnet "behind the scenes" are so close to reality.

Endless Eight was amazing.
It sure was , but not everyone think that for the same reasons.

Phi Brain (S2) 41-43

So, Kaito never was taken over by the ring in season 1, so my question is... is it just the replicas that cause the psychosis? I'm not entirely sure about this, considering
Rook had a real one last season during the reveal he was a Phi Brain candidate
No all rings ( replicas or not ) have different effects, the replicas are just less powerfull.

That being asked though, Herbert being completely overwritten by having two rings was interesting. I was wondering when both his eyes would glow. Only a few more eps to this season. I actually am enjoying it slightly (ever so slightly) than season 1 so far.
Herbert is just a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom