• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
57b8e6257781a102a47193b69649731d.gif

I really need to rewatch this.

This movie does not fuck around. 8/10. The end plot is kind of iffy.

Shergal

As much I like expressive sakuga with crazy motion. I still prefer Mitsuo Iso's detailed cut and effective use of frame.

Crazy fight sakuga in Dandy eps 2 with lack of detail in face and body proportion isn't my preferences.

Iso's drawings aren't even that detailed!
He's a good example of balancing realistic with stylized, because while his movement is uncannily realistic the drawings are always full of edges and impossible lines. You won't find those kinds of quirks in something made by Okiura, for example. Looking at illustrations he made it's easy to spot this flavour, and it carries over to his animation as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Precure has girls transforming and slapping the shit out of monsters. Same with Sailor Moon.

Doremi has............... I dunno.

Doremi may be an excellent show, but it's hard to sell. Precure has something to make people say "hey that sounds neat" even if they know absolutely nothing else about it.

I think people will think back fondly on this film. It's a solid, self-contained story with great character art and awesome animation.

Milos is a great film, up until the end when the story falls apart. The last conversation of the film is basically one big "We made a mistake and now we have to lamely explain it away" on the part of the scriptwriter. That's why I consider Blue Exorcist: The Movie to be the superior shounen movie, even if it isn't as crazy animation-wise, because its storytelling is solid from beginning to end.

Precure has girls transforming and slapping the shit out of monsters. Same with Sailor Moon.

Doremi may be an excellent show, but it's hard to sell. Precure has something to make people say "hey that sounds neat" even if they know absolutely nothing else about it.

All you have to do is say "Doremi isn't Monster-of-the-Week" and you've sold me.

Mature

He's a good example of balancing realistic with stylized, because while his movement is uncannily realistic the drawings are always full of edges and impossible lines. You won't find those kinds of quirks in something made by Okiura, for example. Looking at illustrations he made it's easy to spot this flavour, and it carries over to his animation as well.
Come back to us, Iso. =(

Branduil

yamato 15 spoiler -

It was expected, but still bullshit in that
as Domel himself states, they were seconds away from delivering the finishing blow. It's one of the few moments in Yamato where it feels more contrived than set up.
It's not something I lingered on after the episode, but it does feel cheap as you watch it unfold, no matter how inevitable it is.

At least we get episode 18, which serves to provide a contrast between the two enemy commanders, along with an answer from Okita himself.

Dunno, I just glanced through some of the LNs getting discussed on another forum.

Definitely the weakest moment of the show. You could see them writing themselves into that corner from a mile away, too.
Domel was just too competent to ever believably lose with such a vast material advantage.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 12

Leorio continues to be the butt of the joke, but you'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE! He'll do something awesome!
Ah .. AH AH AH AH

i'm waiting since like 2000..

Never watched Endless Eight. What's so troll-y about it?
Simple you as a viewer got 1/100th of the pain nagato had to suffer that pain that probably helped start some events in the movie.
Everything was planned.

Hunter x Hunter 112

This was the point when the narrator became a pain in the ass for me. Seeing it in animated form has changed that. This arc is godly.
Gonna watch it later tonight .can't wait.

Well, "good stuff" isn't the right term since I find it good/great from the beginning. However, the arc people refer to when they hype up Hunter x Hunter is among the best in the genre. I think it starts around 39 in the 2011 series.

Come to think of it, the censorship is actually pretty much gone by the arc before it.
thank god Hxh is now void of censorship .
I sometime think they did it on purpose to bait people into thinking it won't be bloody

You mean the third time?

Well after 103 years on a throne as a emperor you learn some tricks.. he didn't spend all this time only making pitfalls in his throne room .

Hunter x Hunter 17

"KURIPIKA! GON! DON'T COME IN THIS CAVE!"

*runs inside the cave*

h13Rtxs.jpg

Reverse psychology .. that's what happens here when people tell everyone to NOT watch an anime and everyone watch it out of curiosity.

Ah .. AH AH AH AH

i'm waiting since like 2000..

Reverse psychology .. that's what happens here when people tell everyone to NOT watch an anime and everyone watch it out of curiosity.

I thought he was awesome in the last arc of the manga at least....

And totally true ._.

cajunator

Banned
If this is the only way I'm getting it, I'll take it given the age.

Heh. I understand. Either that or nothing at all.

Smile Precure movie is like... what you would've expected from Smile Precure based on the premise it was sold to you as.

As for Hapcha...

xN5NsKT.jpg

I never understood this meme. How did it start?

I enjoy the idea that SHAFT are just doing whatever they want with Nisekoi. Honestly, like you alluded to, they might as well.

Shaft should always be allowed to do what they want from a creative standpoint (not financial obviously)

Madp told me there was exposed midriff in Heartcatch and I watched it, that's how easy it is to sell Precure.

Its pretty simple to sell Precure but difficult to keep one continuing it.

New Captain Earth scans are out (this season is so underwhelming I'm already looking forward the next)

I dont remember what this was about but I like the art.

Mature

Milos is a great film, up until the end when the story falls apart. The last conversation of the film is basically one big "We made a mistake and now we have to lamely explain it away" on the part of the scriptwriter. That's why I consider Blue Exorcist: The Movie to be the superior shounen movie, even if it isn't as crazy animation-wise, because its storytelling is solid from beginning to end.
Huh, I actually don't remember the gaffe in Milo's story (Are people noticing that I have an awful memory yet?). Blue Exorcist is ready and waiting to be watched, but I'm trying to get through Yamato to do my AOTY post. :x

I actually hadn't heard much about the film's story being great since most of the praise is (appropriately) directed towards the incredible BG art and layouts.

Shergal

Huh, I actually don't remember the gaffe in Milo's story (Are people noticing that I have an awful memory yet?). Blue Exorcist is ready and waiting to be watched, but I'm trying to get through Yamato to do my AOTY post. :x

I actually hadn't heard much about the film's story being great since most of the praise is (appropriately) directed towards the incredible BG art and layouts.

The story is very typical, it's just the film does everything right when it comes to telling it. In my books though, I wouldn't care about the film if not for the art direction. It's what makes it stand out above 'good franchise film'.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
All you have to do is say "Doremi isn't Monster-of-the-Week" and you've sold me.
I have good news, then. It isn't. In fact, it's very much a backport of Sailor Moon's comedic sensibilities into a more oldschool magical girl setup. Pretty much the only Sentai-ish aspect is that there's a group, and they have color coding. It's much more rooted in character drama and comedy than action.

Nafe

Well, truthfully, it is better. However, despite the Precure franchise being rather massive, it's biggest advantage is that we can sell a season since they're not related to each other outside of Max Heart and GoGo (fuck these two). Ojamajo Doremi requires people to sell people on a show that is 216 episodes long (factoring in movies and Naisho).

That and the other advantage for Precure is that I could be shitting on Doki, but despite that, there were others who shown interest into the show. That is how easy it is to sell Precure.

Yeah, I guess Doremi is like Sailor Moon where you kind of have to start with the first season and can't really just jump around. I guess there's also the fact that each season of PreCure has similar themes but you get kind of a new cast and story which some might like better like you mention.

Madp told me there was exposed midriff in Heartcatch and I watched it, that's how easy it is to sell Precure.

Cure Black from the original Futari wa Pretty Cure is also showing her midriff as part of her outfit.

Little girls that act vaguely like actual little girls do and no fight sequences, a fairly lethal combination in terms of drumming up enthusiasm!

Haha, I guess there's that as well, yeah.

That's a terrible sales pitch but it made me laugh,haha. ;p

fertygo

Yeah I don't know how to word it perfectly. I mean look to Jotaro vs Dio or his Eva cut, all the character/mech remain to have the same detail, no sudden change or like that.. but the cut still looked expressive with motion (or at least illusion of it)

That's my favorite kind of sakuga.

Huh, I actually don't remember the gaffe in Milo's story (Are people noticing that I have an awful memory yet?).

The major problem with the ending of Milos is that
the writer didn't have the guts to kill off the side characters, so he waved his hands with some nonsense to make everyone survive and then had Mustang go "That wasn't really human transmutation", even though it couldn't be anything else. It clashed poorly with the tone of the rest of the movie.

Blue Exorcist is ready and waiting to be watched, but I'm trying to get through Yamato to do my AOTY post. :x

Yeah, I knew the backgrounds were going to be spectacular before I watched the film, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the story so strong, with really likable characters and an intriguing stand-alone narrative. A rare example of a film based on a shounen manga property where you don't have to be a fan of said property to enjoy it.

Faithless

You also wrote the Naruto skit, right?

BPGHz3V.gif

Keep on using your influence to make even more anime-based sketches.

Yes I did, and I will. January is all anime stuff; next week is a girl-on-girl tribute to yuri stuff, with references to Kill la Kill, Project Ako, and Utena -- and if I'd known about it ahead of time, I would have thrown Sakura Trick into the mix.

The week after that is Titan. ;)

I have good news, then. It isn't. In fact, it's very much a backport of Sailor Moon's comedic sensibilities into a more oldschool magical girl setup. Pretty much the only Sentai-ish aspect is that there's a group, and they have color coding. It's much more rooted in character drama and comedy than action.

Yeah, I already knew it wasn't monster-of-the-week, which is why I said that. It's always great to see a "magical girl"-ish show that isn't bound by formula to behave a certain way in every episode. That's why I like Jewelpet Kira Deco so much.

Shergal

Yeah I don't know how to word it perfectly. I mean look to Jotaro vs Dio or his Eva cut, all the character/mech remain to have the same detail, no sudden change or like that.. but the cut still looked expressive with motion (or at least illusion of it)

That's my favorite kind of sakuga.

If what you mean is that he doesn't majorly deviate from the models, that's true. Although going back to Dandy, I don't think the action in ep 1 did either. And ep 2 is just trying to be cartoony and fun with the expressions. It's headed by a Telecom animator after all!
The kind of character animation in ep 2 of Dandy is something we don't see much of anymore, and it was really nice to have an episode full of that kind of expressiveness. It's cartoony but not off-the-wall exaggerated a la Umakoshi or Imaishi, and I think most cuts had plenty of detail too.

Hunter x Hunter 112

Stills x Sakuga.

Even if I sort of saw the end of this episode coming, I'm glad they went through with it. I say sort of because
I expected Komugi to die either from a golden arrow or something else, but I didn't expect the King to order Pitou to heal her until right before he did it.
I also liked that it
doubled as a feint, since you expect Pitou's effort to get back to the palace to screw the Hunters, but she's immediately taken out of the fight again.
Interesting that the narrator commented on
Netero's loss of the initiative, preventing the playing field from feeling slanted in his favour like it did after last episode, even with Pitou out of action for now.
Narration can be frustrating, but sometimes the comments are worthwhile and manage to add to the tension.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hamatora The Animation Episode 2:

This was quite the step down from episode one as the show transformed itself into one of the duller filler episodes of Detective Conan with a villain that was so rock stupid in his motivations and methodologies even the characters commented on how stupid it was, I hate that. The larger serial killer plot still has me interested so I am sticking with the show for a bit more.

Toriko Episode 137 – Mortal Combat! Coco vs. Grinpatch!

They are really making this Coco Fight last long
and its still not done
but he does deserve it. Grinpatch was much more interesting in the fight 80+ episodes ago with Toriko than here, now he is just crazy and kind of dull.

I liked the soapbox message of chefs being the hope of the world.

Theonik

It undercuts your stated reasoning and makes it seem like you're just making up an elaborate smokescreen to deflect questions about the matter.

After all, you evidently can do it. You just don't want to.
I think you misunderstand. It's not a lack of ability it's a lack of motivation. Firehawk finds novelty in 70s Shoujo which means he watches it, but he doesn't see something pushing him to other non-airing shows. Now this normally wouldn't be an issue for most people that will backlog things but firehawk is content with filling his diet with current shows and has no need to fill time with older things.

fucking finally

RPSY0nkl.jpg
Not sure if I want.

Not sure. If you had told me "It has magical girls literally slipping into their magical girl clothes" it would have sufficed!

cnet128

Banned

Yeah, if people are watching Precure for the battles, I think they might be doing it wrong… >.>

Cure Black from the original Futari wa Pretty Cure is also showing her midriff as part of her outfit.

Cure Dream too! (Again only for her first season, not her second >.>)

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 9

It's a murder mystery! Er…without the murder. The case of the DISAPPEARING CAKE!

ib2k30lo1em9HI.gif

…I feel dizzy.

This episode was pretty fun and cute (lol @ the gratuitous Bunbee abuse, guy can't catch anything resembling a break), and the solution was even something I wasn't expecting!
My bet was on Komachi having hidden the cake herself for the sake of setting up a detective game, but it turned out it was Mailpo of all people. NOBODY EVER SUSPECTS THE MASCOT'S MASCOT! I knew there was something significant about Nozomi deciding to cut the cake into eight at the beginning…

Oh, and more foreshadowing with Milk and the glowing rose. Is it can be Milky Rose time yet?

Another potential issue could be the general age range of the cast... which actually blows away your expectations.

Hunter x Hunter 18

Gon so sly, yet miserable. Can you blame him?

Revelations will happen in the next two episodes.

Hamatora 2

I was thoroughly entertained with this episode. I don't even mind if it's a case of the week with an overarching plot, which they've already introduced. Some of the better shows out there followed this formula (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Firefly).

On today's episode we meet pretty boy kun and his maybe girlfriend (?) moe-chan. The case involves a missing teacher and going to school. While I did not appreciate a school setting, the episode didn't focus on it and I appreciate that.

We learn more about the powers of our protagonists. Now that we've seen it for more than one small instance, it is somewhat clear that yes protag 1 can travel at the speed of sound (which would explain why he hurt the guy so much in the first episode if he could deliver a punch at that speed). He also is implied to be a genius, which would translate to his detective/analytical skills? And Vegeta protag can make objects (and apparently himself) defy gravity to a certain extent.

Other people in the team still haven't gotten much development, like the kuudere girl. But I'm sure they'll do so in later episodes. As to the ending
with the brains
, I didn't realize I was watching
Psycho-Pass

fertygo

If what you mean is that he doesn't majorly deviate from the models, that's true. Although going back to Dandy, I don't think the action in ep 1 did either. And ep 2 is just trying to be cartoony and fun with the expressions. It's headed by a Telecom animator after all!
The kind of character animation in ep 2 of Dandy is something we don't see much of anymore, and it was really nice to have an episode full of that kind of expressiveness. It's cartoony but not off-the-wall exaggerated a la Umakoshi or Imaishi, and I think most cuts had plenty of detail too.

Well glorious animation is glorious, its looked awesome in Dandy eps 2 also its looked awesome in Ryochimo's yozakura.

But I'm just saying high-detailed shot have its appeal too, those 80's mecha movie is frigging golden standard for me.

Imagine the whole movie that look like your awesome poster drawn by key artist. O-M-G.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And this is where I respond: "If they aren't sold on that then obviously their taste is bad and Doremi is too good for them"
Instead of simply giving up, I hoped to leverage this thread's bandwagon effect, and to a limited extent it worked.

It just took a long time.

Gazoinks

Looking forward to Inari, Kon Kon, Iraha tomorrow. Pretty sure that's the last series I'm looking to check out this season, so after that my viewing can fall into a proper schedule. Still need to watch Hoozuki and Chu-22 tho.

Mature

I saw someone mention that Discotek was putting out Mazinger, but no mention of Jin Roh? =/
Jin Roh DVD coming April 29th 2014. English dub, Japanese language with English subs. Interviews, trailer.
Not particularly thrilling since there was no mention of a BD... until they said there would be a BD in December in the FB comments. Woo-hoo!

Cure Dream too! (Again only for her first season, not her second >.>)
I think I've familiarized myself with all the tummy-Cures by now (and the appropriately named Cure "Belly" Berry, thanks Yui Haga!) because I'm a deviant of course.
Momoko Asuka has an exposed midriff.
You already sold me with Osakan tomboy, it'll just be a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom