• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies_(novel)

Grave of the Fireflies (火垂るの墓 Hotaru no Haka?) is a 1967 semi-autobiographical novel by Japanese novelist Akiyuki Nosaka. It is based on his experiences before, during, and after the firebombing of Kobe in 1945. One of his sisters died as the result of a sickness, his adoptive father died during the firebombing proper, and another sister died of malnutrition in Fukui. It is written as a personal apology to his sister, regarding her death.
Nosaka said that in the story, Seita "got increasingly transformed into a better human being" since he was trying to "compensate for everything I couldn't do myself" and that he was never "kind like the main character." Nosaka explained that "I always thought I wanted to perform those generous acts in my head, but I couldn't do so." He believed that he would always give food to his sister, but when he obtained food, he ate. The food tasted very good when it was scarce, but he felt remorse afterwards. Nosaka concluded "I'd think there is no one more hopeless in the world than me. I didn't put anything about this in the novel."

Nosaka said that the death of his sister was "an exact match with the novel."

:(

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 25

End of the "Rescue" Killua arc, new arc, and soon approaching the York Shin arc.
Peace out Kuripika and Leorio

We'll have a powerup session soon.

Come to think of it, there's certainly a lot of training in HxH.

cajunator

Banned
Grave of the Fireflies

If you'd like to feel good about what you have in life, this is a good wake-up call. Fantastic film, but not for the weak of heart.

This movie made me angry. Just angry.

Anime-GAF, once you guys get past the joke answers you are pretty great for recommendations. You recommended Tsuritama, and I said no way, I can not get into an anime about fishing.

Then I did. And it was great.

Then I watched Tatami Galaxy and loved it, another recommendation. But that's not really what I'm here to talk about.

I think the first time I asked for recommendations a lot of you said Joshiraku, and Ive been pretty damn hesitant about watching it, up until now. On its surface, it just seemed like another show built on cute girls doing cute things, a genre which I'm fine with but not crazy about.

After watching the first episode and being humiliated (I say humiliated but I was pretty much beaming from how great it was) by its lampshading of my expectations, I let myself fall in love with the show.

In terms of shows, the closest analogy I can come to is if you took Community's meta humor and its character interactions when centered around the study room table, you'd basically have Joshiraku, but Joshiraku's so much funnier.

But I've finished it, its gone, and the one thing its left with me is the feeling that I have not watched nearly enough genuinely funny anime. So I've started Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which is great, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend more to me, so I have something to watch after that?

Galaxy angel is hit or miss but theres near a hundred episodes and they can get hilarious. Also Detroit Metal city.

Add Excel Saga & Love Lab and this is basically the definitive list of Actually Funny Comedy Anime.

Also Magical witch Punie chan.

I guess speaking of comedy anime, is Polar Bear Cafe a comedy? I thought about that as a suggestion, but I guess it's not "funny" in the traditional sense.

I LOVED Polar Bear Cafe. But I wouldn't suggest it unless he's specifically looking for a very relaxing anime. It has its very funny moments but it mostly relies on the SOL charm. With animals.

Jesus fuck. Survival instincts overpowering eh?

Maybe I was unclear in my post, but I really don't have a problem with moe. I have watched a lot of trash anime and moe stuff is really not something I'd include in those numbers. I just meant that part of my hesitance to watch Joshiraku was that I just didn't expect a show with such moe trappings to have the exact kind of humor I love, namely absurd, self aware, and with plenty of callbacks to both pop culture, and itself.

Which is a bit presumptuous on my part. I far too often judge a book by its cover.

Yeah if you like callbacks to pop culture and such, and have already seen Gintama, then Daily Life of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) is your best bet there. Unless you haven't seen the dubbed version of Crayon Shin Chan, which the humor is specifically tailored for western audiences. Which now reminds me I gotta find that to watch.

It's a charming slice of life comedy with a fun cast, a variety of situations, a great ending, and awesome OP and ED. Seems like a pretty solid recommendation. :p

I need to watch the rest of Zetsubou-sensei. I only finished the first season..

First season is fantastic. Second season is WAY too meta and abstract, so if you have to find a stopping point, do it after watching post season 2 stuff.

Branduil

Girls und Panzer 3

ib1tRR76TiWR5e.jpg

I liked how they just glossed over the chances of death or maiming occurring in the last episode. Not quite sure how the rules work either, the other tanks were all "immobilized" on the first hit but I'm sure the panzer got hit at least once with a direct hit and nothing happened.

zeroshiki

Psh, says you.

She's great in every single role that her brilliance and alluring timbre of voice outshines any cast in any show she's in.

Her voice is that pleasurable to my ears.

My brother!

In the vast sea of high pitched interchangeable moe voices, the low dulcet tones of Omigawa stands out like someone on a TV show reading off a teleprompter.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 1
I'm liking what im seeing, good animation, characters are looking to be complex and im liking the concept.
My guess is the criminal is her mother that was put in jail for a crime she didnt commit, the lawyer probably didnt know all the rules and so couldnt defend her correctly, which is why she has become a lawyer for wizards and knows the book to a T so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My brother!

In the vast sea of high pitched interchangeable moe voices, the low dulcet tones of Omigawa stands out like someone on a TV show reading off a teleprompter.
What? Her thing is the nasally whiney voice.

Since Kobayashi is dead, the only one with a remotely low voice that gets work now is Sawashiro.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lies.

Her voice is very distinct and its quite a bit lower than the standard seiyuu voice.
Her signature move is trying to act like she's constantly out of her register, so her voice sounds like it's on the verge of breaking. If anything, she's reaching up, not down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I just listened to a podcast that pimped a random French cop drama called Spiral or Engrenages and found this article about it and other French shows on Netflix.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/a...ther-french-shows-worth-seeking-out.html?_r=0

I've also since heard that the Danish/Swedish version of The Bridge is heading over to Hulu.

Now, the British might be happy with watching foreign shows on television, since they got to watch the original version of The Killing and Borgen, complete with subtitles, but I'm finding this trend of subtitled foreign television on streaming services to be kind of interesting given this particular hobby.

Of course, fansubs of anime and jdrama have been around for ages, and even Crunchyroll has had legal streaming of kdramas for a few years, but it feels like the rest of the world is slowly catching up with finding foreign shows and subtitling them for American/English-language release.

I suppose I want to believe in a future where all media everywhere is simulcast on the internet and available in any language, much like the way that anime currently works, so that if there's some weird show about a female prime minister in Denmark, I can watch it as it airs rather than whenever it gets picked up by the BBC or worse still, an American company decides to localize it by remaking it and recasting it.

That said, I wonder how much of my interest in foreign TV shows is more anthropological/sociological than out of any genuine interest. I want to watch The Returned because it's a French zombie show. I want to watch Borgen because it's a Danish politics show. Much like the same way that I watch a lot of anime that I probably wouldn't watch if it aired during Fox's Sunday animation block instead of TBS.

I feel like the NYT writer feels the same way:
“Spiral” is “Law & Order” as seen by Stendhal. “Un Village Francais” is a “Band of Brothers” or “Foyle’s War” for a nation that wasn’t saved by its greatest generation and didn’t have its finest hour. “Les Revenants” is “The Walking Dead,” only the zombies are sentient, and hungry for cassoulet, not human flesh. Unlike the Showtime series “Secret Diary of a Call Girl,” the French equivalent, “Maison Close,” traffics in prostitution without indulging the common male delusion that women become prostitutes because they enjoy the sex.
(Although, funny enough, Secret Diary of a Call Girl is a remake of a British show)

Still, as more and more companies pull their shows and movies out of Netflix, it may make perfect sense for them to be a bigger, flashier version of Crunchyroll. If the New York Times is writing about weird French shows on Netflix, then there's certainly a market out there that's bigger than anime nerds watching Japanese cartoons.

I don't even know how interesting this is to anyone but me, but I'm finding it a bit amusing to hear people talk about the novelty of watching television shows from foreign countries, considering it's something that people here have been doing for years. Although, maybe that says more about the lack of popularity of anime/Crunchyroll more than anything else - getting Space Dandy simulcast on Netflix probably would have been a big deal, or at least warranted some attention by the bigger culture blogs.

cnet128

Banned
LN Amagi Brilliant Park anime announced
By Kyoani
Btw the LN author is Shoji Gatoh...wait,where is FMP4 anime?

First thought on seeing this was "Aw yiss KyoAni are finally working on something that isn't one of their in-house LNs!"

Admittedly the concept and character designs don't look like the greatest thing in the world, but at the end of the day it's all about the execution, and considering this is written by the guy responsible for many people's favourite KyoAni series of all time (I haven't actually seen FMP myself...) and probably directed by the guy behind almost all the KyoAni shows that people rave about, I was still vaguely shocked to see the rampant negativity that followed this post.

So he's being strangled by a girl classmate while he's at a boy's high school?

No, that's a mistranslation. The actual JP title doesn't say anything about being at a boys' high school, it just says "I'm a male high school student..."

So I'm almost 20 episodes in HxH and Leorio is basically useless. I'm assuming than in a 100+ episode anime he'll eventually pull his weight

Thanks, I needed a good laugh =p

Tall girl acts like a dog, short girl acts like a cat. Hilarity ensues.

You see, this concept would sound beautiful to me if it weren't accompanied by that not-very-appealing art of the actual characters.

sonicmj1

Girls und Panzer 3

I liked how they just glossed over the chances of death or maiming occurring in the last episode. Not quite sure how the rules work either, the other tanks were all "immobilized" on the first hit but I'm sure the panzer got hit at least once with a direct hit and nothing happened.

The system that determines when a tank is disabled takes armor into account. The shot that hit the Panzer didn't penetrate its armor.

It's not really the same, because it's all available to watch right there...

You just have to exercise some self-control. It's not that hard.

Theonik

Do they ever explain the massive ship? LOL.
Yes on the third BD OVA.

Let's face it, no one but me is ever going to watch it because of the time investment and super oppressive early material.
I've started going through the early material but I my progress beyond that is impeded by BD subtitle availability.

Girls und Panzer 3

This gets 'explained' in one of the .5 episodes. (10.5 I think)

Theonik

Angel Cop 01-02 (dub)
Some good laughs to be had from the Manga dub. Especially in a group. Still not Garzey's wing level and the surrounding ridiculousness is kind of suspect and doesn't go far enough to support the hilariousness at points.
Will see how it turns out.

sasuke_91

I remember it being hilarious, but I think I'd like to keep remembering it that way as opposed to actually rewatching it

I rewatched it a few years ago. Konata being Otaku was funny enough. Lucky Channel wasn't as funny as I remembered, though. Sometimes it was just cringe-worthy.

Kyubey is Satan.

Say what you like about him, but at least he's not this guy.

651336-cod4.jpg

Kyubey deceives girls to make his contracts. Lelouch mind-rapes people to do his bidding. Hell, I bet Lelouch could mind-rape Satan if he wanted to. So who's worse in that regard?

I find it depressing because Togashi keeps killing characters I like!

While there certainly are quite a fair bit of sad deaths in this show, there's not nearly as much there usually is in a Gen Urobuchi show. I was expecting more main character deaths walking into this.

If he killed off Melody though, I would have flipped a desk. My favourite out of all the side-characters.

I rewatched it a few years ago. Konata being Otaku was funny enough. Lucky Channel wasn't as funny as I remembered, though. Sometimes it was just cringe-worthy.

Lucky Channel was one of those shows/extras that was great at the time, but I will never go back and re-watch a single one.

I think discussing it with people as each episode aired increased the enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom