• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
sdburton is voiced by Hayami Saori

oreimo__ayase_vector_colored_by_yuukion-d61v7k8.png

Awwww yeah!

Gazoinks

Kill The Kill 14

Enh... This show continues to not really commit to any permanent consequences and it continues to bug me.
I was hoping that after Senketsu shattered she would have to learn to adjust to fighting without her friend while she reformed him, but no. She keeps the core so Senketsu's still with her and then she goes ahead and collects all the pieces super quickly. Not that I think it necessarily would've been better if they went on a whole scrap-collecting sidequest, but it's hard to feel any consequence or growth from Ryuko when she gets it back so quickly. I guess there's still the last piece.

I also don't feel that invested in the whole schools fighting thing. The battles were so goofy they didn't feel like real battles, and Satsuki is still such an enigma I find it hard to care beyond "Oh Satsuki is doing her Satsuki thing on a wider scale".

So those are my grievances aired, but I am still fundamentally enjoying this show. Mako remains best, we finally got another Stupid Sexy Sensei moment and it was amazing, and scarf Ryuko is awesome. Shame that design will probably be short-lived.

Episode 16 is supposed to have a new OP, right? Please let something significant and impactful happen in the next episode. Pleeeease.

Narag

Attack on Titan 25 FIN

Berserk Eren was legit. Some really nice stuff done with the titan faces too, Eren's taking on a more demonic quality while Annie's perpetual boredom was replaced with utter desperation. Eyecatch was interesting as it served the same purpose of cheap worldbuilding as the usual ones but the story about the walls being so deep was oddly compelling.

===

Final thoughts are pretty short. Series could have been something great. Good beginning, good end, occasional great atmospheric ep that felt like something horror, and a whole lot of garbage inbetween those too few highs. Also I fear old age will take me before I ever learn what's in the basement.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 52

This has been quite the warzone, on top of getting a view of the Zoldyck family's capabilties, on top of Chrollo's abilities.

Nice to have the expendables, eh?

Morbito Episode 1 (neonalley watch)

Tried to get into this again since well its airing on this and I pay for it so might as well try to get through it again. Unfortunately even this many years later the anime is just way too slow and lacks any sort of interesting action. I still find the lead character just hard to even enjoy and I cant connect on any level even removing personal bias. Dont know if I will try to get through it as a story about a body guard is really not something all that compelling and theres just no hints of interesting side characters or deeper stories potentially being told. I guess its just not for me.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 25 FIN

Berserk Eren was legit. Some really nice stuff done with the titan faces too, Eren's taking on a more demonic quality while Annie's perpetual boredom was replaced with utter desperation. Eyecatch was interesting as it served the same purpose of cheap worldbuilding as the usual ones but the story about the walls being so deep was oddly compelling.

===

Final thoughts are pretty short. Series could have been something great. Good beginning, good end, occasional great atmospheric ep that felt like something horror, and a whole lot of garbage inbetween those too few highs. Also I fear old age will take me before I ever learn what's in the basement.

The basement was in our hearts this whole time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Project A-Ko

Wow

Such Garden

Much Burton

Wow

Very Action

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, and that's pretty much all that you can say about Project A-Ko. I understand its historical significance, but, apart from some very impressive sakuga, it's mostly insubstantial fare whose very basic "random" hijinx, genre metahumor, and exaggerated hyperviolence have long been outclassed by many other works. It's basically 80s Kill la Kill, down to several character parallels.

I should note as well that I'm actually surprised that people still consider A-Ko to be a noteworthy yuri anime. Again, perhaps due to the dearth of material in its own time it was viewed differently, but it's difficult for me to interpret A-Ko's friendship with C-Ko or B-Ko's jealousy thereof in any implicitly sexual manner when C-Ko is essentially an (extremely obnoxious) overgrown toddler psychologically. C-Ko is obviously an extreme moe parody, but at the same time it inhibits my ability to see her as anything other than a very small child in spite of her "real" age.

Controversial statement: A-Ko Vs. OVA 1 is the best thing in the A-Ko franchise because B-Ko is a much better comedic foil for A-Ko than C-Ko is.

cajunator

Banned
I figured that was more about thinking your country was the best than thinking a particular country sucked.

Doesnt it work both ways?

Kino's Journey 12

I have no words. I'm sorry to disappoint you cajunator and nintendoman, but I just have no words. None. If I had them, I'd give them to you. But I don't.

Thats ok. I know that episode and my reaction to it the first time. Fucked up is an understatement.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 53

Hey! Look on the bright side! You don't have to find out who killed the Troupe!
because they're not dead!

EDIT: You missed a thigh.

OceanBlue

Samurai Flamenco - 11

What the fuck? I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

Edit: First 30 seconds of Samurai Flamenco - 12: Oh cool, MMM still appear in the OP.

Narag

Sailor Stars 167

AkvyJzwl.png

Hey, look who's back!

mfLmwDVl.png

Ispua8Wl.png

For SDBurton.

High school?! Passage of time in this is such touch. Not real fond of the Nehelenia return as I was really fond of her departure but we'll see how it goes. Do like the continuity present with the outer senshi making a return though.

Dresden

So basically all anime screenshots are banned?

God, stop being so dumb. Of course all screenshots aren't banned. But if it means that some idiot with a habit of stepping past the line with nsfw shit decides to post a lewd screen - choosing that one in particular, instead of all the others he could have chosen - and that screencap happens to show a little girl wearing nothing but her top, sitting down, and focusing only on the lower half of her body, of course he gets fucking banned.

Phi Brain (S3) 62-65

And thus we finally learn Enigma's deal. Honestly...
Enigma, you obviously have issues. A lot of issues. And unlike Rook or Freecell, who were warped by the rings? You have no excuse. You're just flat out insane.

And now that I'm caught up... I have to agonizingly wait for the next one. Maybe I'll pick up Hunter x Hunter or something.
Indeed , enigma has some serious issues i remember saying " what the heck are you doing ?" at linda in golden time and getting pissed off ..but enigma flashback was like on a whole new level of " what's the heck are you doing ?"

He has no escuse , none , what so ever ..the writters made him that way on purpose ..it's unbelievable how screwed up he is " lies on top of lies , deceptions and not even one good quality i don't even understand how he think he can put flowers on lovuska grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom