• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

Sakura Trick 2

Wow this show is moving really fast. The two best pairs have already
made out.
I'm not really that surprised though since the main attraction to this anime is the yuri.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 47

Welp,
Dead Uvogin is deeeead and a fair number will probably go down this arc too.

Wait, the 2 billion Jennys! Could've made Brock happy ;A;

Mature

Code of Princess
I enjoyed my time with Code of Princess, but the humor ultimately didn't click with me very well and the story was just, well, there. I sort of hope we'll see it again (or a sequel) in some form on the Vita or some other device with better processing power, because the 3DS could not handle multiplayer.

guys

i think dtl might be a teacher
In a way, he's a teacher to us all.

CorvoSol

I enjoyed my time with Code of Princess, but the humor ultimately didn't click with me very well and the story was just, well, there. I sort of hope we'll see it again (or a sequel) in some form on the Vita or some other device with better processing power, because the 3DS could not handle multiplayer.

Yeah, I think if the humor doesn't click with you the plot's not going to go down well, because the plot of the game really isn't worth writing about. It's just a plot, I think, and nothing special. I mean, it wasn't bad, just not worth comment.

But I felt the game was also pretty fun.

Mature

Yeah, I think if the humor doesn't click with you the plot's not going to go down well, because the plot of the game really isn't worth writing about. It's just a plot, I think, and nothing special. I mean, it wasn't bad, just not worth comment.

But I felt the game was also pretty fun.
If nothing else, I was just happy to have a new side-scrolling, beat-em-up with neat characters.

Branduil

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster! - 2

Wow. There's a lot of Einstein time-dilation physics going on here. Not only does our hero
have a soul-crushing moment where she thinks that there may be some hope of her father being still alive, but she just lost 6 months of time aboard the ship.

This looks like it'll get really heavy.

Gainax was certainly interested in the physics of mass in this show.

cnet128

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! 2

Hot damn that first half was pretty painful to watch. That, said, I'm actually pretty glad
Sudou-san turned out to be a massive phony asshole who got exactly what was coming to him. I really disliked the guy on first sight, and if the show was going to treat his attitude and his crude "harsh truths" as justified and necessary, I'm not sure if I could have handled it.

It's really nice to
have Tange back in charge - even if her assy abandonment of the group does seem to have been just as thoughtless as it appeared, she's clearly a great producer at heart, and skilled at her job. Just needs to fix some of those...bad habits >.>

Oh, and Miyu is definitely very love. Her voice is wonderful, and her attitude equally so. I don't feel it would be fair to pronounce her Best Idol just yet when she's had a disproportionately large amount of focus compared to most of the other girls, but she's certainly making an excellent case for herself.

cajunator

Banned
I'm a terrible senior. I'm a terrible influence. I don't think I was even as good as my own seniors.

It was a pretty decent anime about Greek dudes doing Greek things until the 1 hour mark. I mean he meets God before that, but at the 1 hour mark God's like "So I'm the past you and you're the future me and in the future you will understand."

And then things go bananas.

I still love you Corvy kun

Girl Und Pazar 1

Cute girls planning to drive adorable tanks? How could I not dig the first episodes?! The first episode did its job in introducing its character. They were all pretty damn swell...plus so MOE!

Those little heads sticking out of the tanks. So squee.

CorvoSol

Hermes the Winds of Love Explained Via Images

THE FIRST HOUR

o69ffF1.jpg

THE LAST TWENTY MINUTES

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 48

I want to go nuts at Gon
he sold his Hunter License, I actually forgot about this detail, and it made me mad as fuck. Gon Damn it

Oh hai Zepile, he takes over when Leorio is being non-existent.

CorvoSol

Hermes: The Winds of Love

I will state quickly my complaints with its teachings so we can move on to look at it as a work of fiction instead: First, the existence of a Goddess of Love, capable of impregnating infertile couples. I do not think I even need to write out the questions that raises. Second: if Hermes IS El Cantare, and so is Ophealis just, what the Hell. Like, do the work yourself on the kinds of problems that that entire set up raises.

Now, let's look at the rest of the movie, shall we?

In all honesty, Hermes: The Winds of Love is the second best Happy Science Movie ever made, if not the best. It's a toss up between this and the Rebirth of Buddha. This movie was actually fairly paced, though it could be divided into two acts, the former being much better than the latter. The first act of the film is entirely about Hermes' conquest of Greece and his courtship of Aphrodite. As a completely inaccurate Greek Myth it works out just fine. There's even a final battle against King Minos that ends in a suitably flashy display of flames and fury. Over the course of the film Hermes does not develop much, its true, but he also spends significantly less time blathering on to me and more time actually out doing things I might expect a Holy King to do. Aphrodite has some depth going on to herself, as well, with her struggle with her inability to give Hermes a son. The problem with this, though, is the brevity with which it is introduced and resolved.

The second half is decidedly less great, but still considerably more focused than The Laws of Eternity, The Golden Laws and the Laws of the Sun. There's a really meaningless part of the movie where they reenact Disney's Under the Sea and where we're taught a great deal about Mermaids and Fairies with no real reason for it. A hell of a lot of time is spent on Hermes' son when he could really be resolved in no time at all. The film concludes with Hermes storming Castlevania, beating the shit out of the undead spirit of his lifelong foe King Minos (who looks a lot like Ganon), and then returning home to his wife. Though worse than the first part and less focused, that's still leaps better than the rest of the series. The hero ventures to a magical spirit realm where he must defeat his foe spiritually so that he can learn his lesson about the power of God. Which would be a lot easier to get if not for the message that Hermes is God. Which works sort of like Hercules in Disney's Hercules and much less like Jesus who spends the bulk of the Gospels fully aware that He is the Son of God and putting that fact to a use more divine than simply kicking the shit out of Ganondorf.

I sort of feel I've seen these movies out of order, honestly. I don't know where The Mystic Laws belongs yet, but I feel that the correct viewing should in fact be: Hermes Winds of Love (So we know who he is when he pops up again) then Laws of the Sun (to introduce us to the concept of the Rebirth of Buddha) then the Golden Laws (to further get us hyped for that) then the Laws of Eternity so we can see how Buddha comes to realize he's been reborn and then, lastly, the Rebirth since its what all the others are leading up to.

So yeah, as far as ratings go Hermes Winds of Love >/= Rebirth of Buddha > The Laws of Eternity > The Laws of the Sun > The Golden Laws.

BEFORE I FORGET, I also appreciate the older animation in Hermes. By the rest of the series there's an inundation of florescent colors and CGI, and Buddha and his incarnation's faces all look oddly flat, whereas here the colors are toned back, things are done by hand, and faces look like they have dimensions beyond the 2nd.

Branduil

I wish mods treated the state of Florida like they did the country of Brazil.

No you see it's okay because Florida is a state while Brazil is a country. That means that criticizing a group of people's actions in Brazil is racism while doing the same for Florida is perfectly normal.

No-Rin 02

tvhtH0kl.jpg

Well this was a lot weirder than I expected it to be.

I did feel the pantsu part went a little too long but I did like the ending. I guess I learned more agriculture things than I expected from this show and I am intrigued by our stoic former idol enough to keep watching.

cajunator

Banned
No you see it's okay because Florida is a state while Brazil is a country. That means that criticizing a group of people's actions in Brazil is racism while doing the same for Florida is perfectly normal.

How is that racism when not everyone in Brazil is the same race?

CorvoSol

How is that racism when not everyone in Brazil is the same race?

I can't think of a better word for discriminating against someone based on the nation they hail from, but then again my brain is currently addled by an entire pan pizza and soda pop and the sweet, sweet cheese and corn of Project Ako.

SamFlam 13

A nice set up episode that managed to keep things suitably tense the whole episode. We also got to see having to be a hero 24/7 start to take its toll on Hazama. The writing it still as sharp as ever and the title for the next episode has be so hyped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom