• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
So, I just watched Arrietty. I put it off for the longest time since I always heard mixed things about it. I can safely say this was the first Ghibli film that I just did not like. I walked away so disappointed, and slightly aggravated. Oh where to begin.

The first thing that really annoyed me, was the music. I found the music mix in this film to be off. Music levels would be way too high in parts. I know this sounds like a strange thing to complain about, but how they used music in this movie was so damn baffling. There are scenes that would be so much stronger, if they just allowed silence. If we could just hear the sound of the background (the sound of the bugs, the wind etc.) But throughout the film you get this swelling music (some with singing), and at times it's even layered over dialogue. It was also the frequency that they used it, and how the music would segue into the scenes. I find this really strange, because I generally find Ghibli masterfully knows how to use music in their film and yet this felt so amateurish here. Granted, this is a small gripe (not to make it like a major reason I disliked it).

I thought the plot felt like a constant struggle. I was under the assumption that this would be a story about this borrower, and her becoming friends with this boy. That it would be about her breaking from the rules, and showing her family that some beings can be nice, and that a relationship/co-existence can exist. But they barely have any scenes together, and I never really felt the growth of their friendship (because we didn't get to see it!). The majority of the second half of the film focuses on that annoying care taker, that is hell bent on capturing the borrowers. I can't tell you how aggravating I found her character. Why she had so much investment. I get that the plot tells us it's because no one would ever believe her. But jesus. She was such an annoying character, and I never really bought into why she was the way she was (especially in the context of the story). Even early on, she's giving the boy these scowling and suspicious looks (the guy has a freakin heart disease for f' sake. You are supposed to be looking after him, not constantly snooping and being suspicious of him). I just did not like her.

Ultimately, I get this film was more from the perspective of Arrietty (hence the title of the film). And they had that theme of surviving, and fighting what you believe in. And the film decides to end with her and the family searching for their other family members (or holding on to hope they will), instead of just staying holed up in one place. But I just did not enjoy the journey or the plot. I really wish there was more time and build up spent on her relationship with the boy. But I will admit that apart of my dislike of this film, was my wish for the plot to have gone differently. And usually I'm totally fine with a plot doing it's own thing (defying my expectations, or what I think would have been more enjoyable). But it just rubbed me the wrong way, and I walked away feeling so let down.

Basically all I can say about it. I just didn't enjoy the plot and how it played out. It's the only Ghibli film so far that I did not like. The ONLY film I have not seen yet from Ghibli now is Tales from Earthsea, which I hear has a lot of script problems. I'll probably wait a lot longer to watch that one.

FujiKei is a great voice actor though! You get to be Hughes and Mitsuhide! You even get to be this guy from King Gainer!

c20.png

Seriously though, I do love Fujiwara's voice.

But but Leorio ;A;

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 54

SURPRISES! Time for some more blood baths

Mononoke

Banned
I liked Arrietty a lot more the second time through FWIW.

Maybe I will too. But I found the film to be really frustrating on my first watch. The animation was amazing. I really loved the Arrietty character. There were elements I certainly dug. But I just didn't care for the overall plot (and certain other elements).

But I agree, I'm probably being too harsh on it. I don't know why I felt so negative about it. First Ghibli film to make me feel that way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, and that's pretty much all that you can say about Project A-Ko. I understand its historical significance, but, apart from some very impressive sakuga, it's mostly insubstantial fare whose very basic "random" hijinx, genre metahumor, and exaggerated hyperviolence have long been outclassed by many other works. It's basically 80s Kill la Kill, down to several character parallels.

I should note as well that I'm actually surprised that people still consider A-Ko to be a noteworthy yuri anime. Again, perhaps due to the dearth of material in its own time it was viewed differently, but it's difficult for me to interpret A-Ko's friendship with C-Ko or B-Ko's jealousy thereof in any implicitly sexual manner when C-Ko is essentially an (extremely obnoxious) overgrown toddler psychologically. C-Ko is obviously an extreme moe parody, but at the same time it inhibits my ability to see her as anything other than a very small child in spite of her "real" age.

Controversial statement: A-Ko Vs. OVA 1 is the best thing in the A-Ko franchise because B-Ko is a much better comedic foil for A-Ko than C-Ko is.
Did you watch the sequel movies?

Anyway, Project A-ko is still very much an animator's pet project. Even though it itself may not be as good as other shows, it evokes the feelings of 70's and 80's anime in a self-contained package while also providing material of its own. So yeah, at this point it's pretty much a nostalgia hit with a great soundtrack. It also helps to be familiar with the works it parodies.

And every anime fan should watch it with the DVD commentary at least once.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
No you see it's okay because Florida is a state while Brazil is a country. That means that criticizing a group of people's actions in Brazil is racism while doing the same for Florida is perfectly normal.

But muh State's Rights man. Each state should be is it's own country! Just like Founding Fathers™ intended for us forever and ever, amen.

tetsuya_kuroko_by_veckon-d58fvbe.png

FelixOrion is voiced by Ono Kensho

meh.
He's also the Japanese dub VA for Harry Potter, lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did you watch the sequel movies?

Anyway, Project A-ko is still very much an animator's pet project. Even though it itself may not be as good as other shows, it evokes the feelings of 70's and 80's anime in a self-contained package while also providing material of its own. So yeah, at this point it's pretty much a nostalgia hit with a great soundtrack. It also helps to be familiar with the works it parodies.

And every anime fan should watch it with the DVD commentary at least once.

Do you mean OVAs 2-4? If so, yeah, and I didn't even think that any of them were as good as the first. They're all just as hyperactive, but with fewer instances of great animation to compensate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is the best girl... blue? That ep is next for me. lol
Melda is bestda.
9qXB75Yl.jpg

No-rin
GdqBPdkl.jpg

Hey, an angry cake. She's like a perverted version of Yoshinoya from HidaSketch. lol

And I had no idea this was basically a dumber romcom version of Silver Spoon. I'm sure it's terrible, and of course childhood friend is already dead before the idol girl even appears in the show, but - probably because of lowered anime standards - I don't think I hate it at least.

Gintama Four Devas "movie version"
So I had no idea that they stitched together episodes from a couple of arcs (they also did the first Shinsengumi arc from like episode 100) and turned them into movies. I've personally seen Four Devas probably 10 times, so I was curious to see how they managed to edit together the episodes to make a movie.

Most notably, if you are familiar with the serious arcs from Gintama, you would know that every single episode ends not only on a cliffhanger, but usually in a bad ass postcard moment.
Pxn2NOxl.jpg

31FR3xHl.jpg

For me, this moment is drilled into my head and the next part of that is a smash cut to the ED with "Samurai Heart" playing. Here, they shifted parts of the episode around in order to try to make these postcard moments make sense in a movie context, so it's immediately followed by Otose's reveal, which of course, happens earlier in the television version of the arc.

I don't know if it works as a movie unfortunately, but then again I'm probably too prejudiced by my love of the TV arc to even be able to judge this fairly.

Either way, it started raining in my room when they got to this moment.
97sMhorl.jpg

I knew it was coming, I knew I would have to start wiping my eyes, but yet it started raining in my room even though I was prepared for it. I guess this is my version of Field of Dreams for older American men who need an excuse to cry because they're meant to be emotionless robots otherwise.

If nothing else, even if it's weird as a movie, the Four Devas arc still holds up. I want more Gintama now though. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I disagree.
I know you like it. That's okay. We can still be friends.

The plot is just kind of boring for me and focused on this bumbling antagonist who wasn't really important to this greater story that they wound up trying to tell. Arrietty is still ten times the movie Poopy Hill is though.

Branduil

I know you like it. That's okay. We can still be friends.

The plot is just kind of boring for me and focused on this bumbling antagonist who wasn't really important to this greater story that they wound up trying to tell. Arrietty is still ten times the movie Poopy Hill is though.

It's also better than the two films the other Miyazaki made prior to it.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 16

...I totally didn't fall asleep right after watching this episode, I swear! (Maybe it's time for me to go to bed...)

Anyway, that makes two fairytale-mushroom-crone episodes in a row. Hansel and Gretel this time, and we seem to be making up for Komachi and Karen's complete omission from the previous episode by having them as the focus of this one. And omitting all the other girls for fairness' sake (except Nozomi because she's the MC and thus can't be left out of anything ever). If anyone's getting short-changed here, it's Urara, since the previous episode was centred around Rin and Nozomi, and now this one was all Komachi and Karen. I guess we'll probably get a Lemonade-flavoured episode soon.

The entire gingerbread house turning out to be the Hoshiina (complete with tentacle restraints) reminded me of Bloody from the previous season, with his habit of turning entire rooms or buildings into Kowainas and attacking with a swarm of tentacle hands. Come to think of it, this old crone has the same tendency to try and keep the Cures separated from each other that Bloody did, too (though she's significantly more effective at it).

Oh, and since everyone else is doing it:

cnet128 is voiced by Shimazaki Nobunaga

I didn't even recognise that name, but apparently he's voiced the likes of Kaito in NatsuMachi and Haru in Free!. So I get to be either a protag with the worst possible taste in romance, or the object of DTL's fantasies. Great.

Or I suppose looking at this season, I could always be eaten by my monstrous sister and have my episodes end before they've even begun. Also not what I'd call an optimal choice.

Saki 01

Didn't expect a guy to be in this show.

Anyway, Japanese mahjong is a lot more complicated so while I know the general rules, the scoring system flies over my head. But at the same time, this is pretty entertaining.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I remember watching the beginning of Project A-ko and being so bored and annoyed by C-ko I never finished it.

I don't say this lightly, but C-Ko is the rare anime character whose behavior legitimately resembles severe mental retardation. She's a teenager who, without exaggeration, speaks and behaves like a three-year-old; something is clearly very terribly wrong with her. It sails over the line from being an extreme caricature of moe, whether intentional or not, to something altogether different and disturbing. And people actually find her to be cute?

Gintama Four Devas "movie version"
So I had no idea that they stitched together episodes from a couple of arcs (they also did the first Shinsengumi arc from like episode 100) and turned them into movies. I've personally seen Four Devas probably 10 times, so I was curious to see how they managed to edit together the episodes to make a movie.

Most notably, if you are familiar with the serious arcs from Gintama, you would know that every single episode ends not only on a cliffhanger, but usually in a bad ass postcard moment.
Pxn2NOxl.jpg

31FR3xHl.jpg

For me, this moment is drilled into my head and the next part of that is a smash cut to the ED with "Samurai Heart" playing. Here, they shifted parts of the episode around in order to try to make these postcard moments make sense in a movie context, so it's immediately followed by Otose's reveal, which of course, happens earlier in the television version of the arc.

I don't know if it works as a movie unfortunately, but then again I'm probably too prejudiced by my love of the TV arc to even be able to judge this fairly.

Either way, it started raining in my room when they got to this moment.
97sMhorl.jpg

I knew it was coming, I knew I would have to start wiping my eyes, but yet it started raining in my room even though I was prepared for it. I guess this is my version of Field of Dreams for older American men who need an excuse to cry because they're meant to be emotionless robots otherwise.

If nothing else, even if it's weird as a movie, the Four Devas arc still holds up. I want more Gintama now though. :(

... I did not know this. Thank you.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 7

Scenes from when Aiko was just a tyke are always good. Sometimes they can be hard to watch, but this one was very sweet. Flawed as her father may be, he really does love her very much and wants to do the right thing for her.

Hana-chan trying to do magical stage was funny. But it seems she somehow figured it out. Good job Hana-chan.

wonzo

Banned
mikakunin 2

mikakunin2.jpg

the annoying little girl and the perverted older sister were really pushing it in the first episode but the inclusion of some ~traumatic past event~ and the little shit talking about breast sizes put this right next to nobunagun in the "stuff i've dropped" pile for this season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't say this lightly, but C-Ko is the rare anime character whose behavior legitimately resembles severe mental retardation. She's a teenager who, without exaggeration, speaks and behaves like a three-year-old; something is clearly very terribly wrong with her. It sails over the line from being an extreme caricature of moe, whether intentional or not, to something altogether different and disturbing. And people actually find her to be cute?
Almost like a Satoshi Kon work!

CorvoSol

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago, and that's pretty much all that you can say about Project A-Ko. I understand its historical significance, but, apart from some very impressive sakuga, it's mostly insubstantial fare whose very basic "random" hijinx, genre metahumor, and exaggerated hyperviolence have long been outclassed by many other works. It's basically 80s Kill la Kill, down to several character parallels.

I should note as well that I'm actually surprised that people still consider A-Ko to be a noteworthy yuri anime. Again, perhaps due to the dearth of material in its own time it was viewed differently, but it's difficult for me to interpret A-Ko's friendship with C-Ko or B-Ko's jealousy thereof in any implicitly sexual manner when C-Ko is essentially an (extremely obnoxious) overgrown toddler psychologically. C-Ko is obviously an extreme moe parody, but at the same time it inhibits my ability to see her as anything other than a very small child in spite of her "real" age.

Controversial statement: A-Ko Vs. OVA 1 is the best thing in the A-Ko franchise because B-Ko is a much better comedic foil for A-Ko than C-Ko is.

So here's my personal background with Project A-Ko so people know why I'm watching this when, honestly, it's sort of outside the boundaries of my normal watching habits.

Project A-Ko may very well be the first anime I ever saw. Not watched, but saw. The first one I watched is one of several candidates: (Sailor Moon, Speed Racer and Voltron being the most likely, with Pokemon, Digimon, Gundam Wing and Dragon Ball Z not far behind). A long, long, long time ago, back when baby Corvo was still getting fed from his mother's gullet, Mama Crow and Papa Crow watched this series. They'd send me to bed but I remember seeing bits and pieces and the very basic outline that "A-Ko and B-Ko are fighting each other for C-Ko who is somehow special." I further remembered that A-Ko had super strength and that B-Ko wore that goofy combat bikini. But that's it. So years and years and years down the road I figured now was the time to see what all the fuss was about.

As to my personal thoughts on the project, I didn't think it was that bad and I'll watch it through to see if it picks up. It was goofy, and honestly, for an OVA, the fanservice was kept relatively low (which after the bull shit that Angel Cop and AD Police and Cyber City Oedo 808 put me through is refreshing like you wouldn't believe. Who knew you could make an OVA that wasn't heavy on gore or tits, let alone panties?) I honestly didn't think the special was amazing, but it was hardly bad, either.

I think your assessment is a pretty fair one, actually: it's highly reminiscent of a Kill La Kill produced in a different era for a different audience. I'm still one of the people who thinks Kill La Kill is hot shit, so that's some good praise for me, I suppose. Hopefully things ramp up a bit as the series progresses.

Visually speaking, the most distinct thing to me were the faces. The progression of faces in anime history is actually something I think is amazing. It's entirely possible that my experience has made for some far, far more limited views on this, but its my personal opinion that as anime has progressed, faces have become more "beautiful" and simultaneously more "uniform" which is something I actually appreciate in Kill La Kill: that faces are not as uniform as they are in some shows. But I mean, in Bagi and Mobile Suit Gundam and Getter Robo there's no fear in showing people who are ugly, or whose heads are wildly different in shape from others, and there's a real sense that people have facial features, whereas, let's take Buddy Complex (since I was going to cite Hirai but that's unfair) where there is a great deal more uniformity of the face, removal of emphasis from the nose, and characters faces are afforded at most one key visual feature to separate them from their comrades (a scar here, a comical nose there, an eye patch, thicker eyebrows, a mustache, lines beneath the eyes or rosy cheeks).

The point I want to make here is that the faces in Project A-Ko remind me most closely of Shin Mazinger Z, which in turn is meant to emulate the original Mazinger. I have a hard time explaining what I mean without really drawing these out, but the faces are characterized by an inward slope from the forehead, a small, pointed nose, massive eyes and sort of square jaws.

Aikuro really is Akio though isn't he.

Dude they gave him a freaking car. He's Akio and that is that.

Maybe when I catch up to Hunter X Hunter.

Regulus watches Hunter X Hunter? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom