• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Alien technology

It ...was raining that day.

A painfull realisation

i would have too , if i wasn't actively expecting something to happen

Only the best alien technology could create a being as pure as Erio.

Maken-Ki! Two 2

Best.

Amnesia.

Ever.

Innocently thought the bathing scene was going to be the lewdest scene of the episode.

But I was wrong.

I was so so wrong. NSFW

Temporarily made me think I was watching hentai again.

Hoooly shit.

Fuck me. What did I do to deserve this.

You bought SAO didnt you?

CorvoSol

I don't know what G Gundam is and haven't really seen much Gundam so I don't know. It was a pretty good episode though.

Well clearly we need to fix this. G Gundam is the best Gundam show ever made. Unlike other Gundam shows, that sink into the filth and dross of angsty, melodramatic, fauxlitical plots, G Gundam is about punching the shit out of the Devil and how being a true man is all about true love and punching the shit out of people.

G Gundam is a man's man's Gundam. Puts hair on your chest and heroism in your heart. Dorothy didn't need to see the Wizard. She and her pals could've solved all their probbums if they'd just watched G Gundam.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So I was in Sanjo Station in Kyoto yesterday and I just realized that all(?) the characters in Inari Konkon Iroha are named after train stations in Kyoto.
Neat. The guy being tucked away in some corner is kind of funny.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Witch Craft Works - 3

Pretty fun episode, watching Takamiya attempt to be slightly competent is pretty funny.

I also tried my hand at this fancy pants gif making.

f8wfU6Y.gif

Seeing Kagari going super witch was pretty interesting. I'm surprised Takamiya hid the candy from her as well, will probably come up later at a pivotal point.

Hunter x Hunter 79

Holy shit, whoever said that nobody can argue this show can get dark was right. Not only did
they eat children but they're also murdering left and right
. The internal struggle between
the ant leader that came from the big bro
and the rest is amazing.

Jesus. I did not expect this. I mean in Fate Zero it was seinen to begin with so when they
murdered hundreds of children
then it didn't surprise me. But in this?

I don't know why I haven't watched this series yet.

Assuming your region is not affected, the entire series is up on YouTube and Hulu. Apparently someone thinks some of the episodes are for mature audiences, which is quite rude to the series' calming nature, so keep that in mind if you watch through YouTube and do not have an associated account. Pretty sure the only slightly mature thing in the show is the cat, President Aria's, occasional X-shaped bottom showing when dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NraaWUZxWZw&list=PLrrh84y760v9xnuf6f-Rzu-ndJ2D1uIXg

http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-animation
http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-natural
http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-origination

Hamatora 03

4Rr4h0pl.jpg

Oh hey, there's a plot!

Kinda of a slow episode actually. Lots of talking and panning around but I guess it's to develop the plot at least.

Hunter x Hunter 80

6ZWwc7p.gif

Jesus.
dat gruesome death scene. Panzu didn't deserve that. RIP

BTW should I eventually watch One Piece? I always see it has a huge following but what is AnimeGAF's opinion? It's pretty overwhelming but I'm willing to watch it throughout the years if it's recommended.

Mature

After finishing Space Battleship Yamato 2199 I have a major hunger for some classic Leiji Matsumoto stuff, specifically the Galaxy Express 999 films. Too bad I have so much on my plate already...

Vecks

BTW should I eventually watch One Piece? I always see it has a huge following but what is AnimeGAF's opinion? It's pretty overwhelming but I'm willing to watch it throughout the years if it's recommended.

It's been a while since I last watched it, but I remember the beginning being a pretty decent adaptation. After a certain point though it gets kind of bleh. It gets padded with filler arcs, the pacing can feel really slow, and the animation/artwork becomes rather... ugly. If you haven't read the manga, it might not feel as bad? Even so, I recommend at least up to the point where they reach the grand line, and maybe a few arcs after that.

789shadow

Banned
It's been a while since I last watched it, but I remember the beginning being a pretty decent adaptation. After a certain point though it gets kind of bleh. It gets padded with filler arcs, the pacing can feel really slow, and the animation/artwork becomes rather... ugly. If you haven't read the manga, it might not feel as bad? Even so, I recommend at least up to the point where they reach the grand line, and maybe a few arcs after that.
The problem with the One Piece anime is that it ISN'T padded with filler arcs, which leaves you with a painful 1 episode per chapter pace. Read the manga to catch up instead.

duckroll

Witch Craft Works - Episode 3

This show is so weird. I like how there really isn't much of a plot because the plot is pretty bad. The Mizushima humor is good, the weird quirky shit is good, the art is pretty nice, and the characters are all crazy. Could probably do without the terrible 3DCG background animations for the flying scenes which look right out of Attack on Titan though. Lol.

cnet128

Banned
By the by.

Nourin has the best ending of the season.

Because not only do you have a Yukari Tamura and Kana Hanazawa duet.

But you also have chibi Sensei.

1390057684636ouukl.gif

Sorry, but chibi Mashiro (plus various other chibi characters) > chibi Sensei, plus Mikakunin has the better song regardless of seiyuu power.

If you can handle the anime's unfortunate pacing in the latter parts of the series, then absolutely yes, it's a pretty amazing series of epic adventure, quirky characters, and generally the best pure shonen-ing out there.

If you can't handle the anime's unfortunate pacing in the latter parts of the series, then still yes, just watch the anime up to around the midway point (I'd recommend perhaps after the Enies Lobby arc at 316 or after the Thriller Bark arc at 381, but your mileage may vary) and then switch to the manga if and when you feel it's starting to drag. (Enlisting the aid of AnimeGAF/the internet to avoid filler arcs is a valid tactic).

Hunter x Hunter 80

6ZWwc7p.gif

Jesus.
dat gruesome death scene. Panzu didn't deserve that. RIP

After watching the first few episodes, I decided to go with the manga for my One Piece experience. May jump into the anime again once I've finished that.

One Piece is a damn good series when taken as a whole, but it's tough to recommend based on individual episodes. The anime is also pretty poorly paced, which gets worse even later on.

However, the payoff in many arcs is among the best the genre has to offer, and I'd go as far to say its highs trump even Hunter x Hunter. It's also a bit easier to consume than you would think at first, since a lot of episodes have super long recaps at the beginning that you can just skip. With that in mind, getting caught up now, would probably take around 130 hours or so, which is like the length of Dragon Quest 7 or something. Possibly much less if you look into the fanmade Paced One Piece, which edits down the later episodes significantly by cutting out filler and other stuff. You could think of it as playing a long JRPG that would only cost you around a week of your life in cumulative time.

If you're a manga reader, it may be better to go that route, but the anime is watchable thanks to the strength of the source material. Just know that it's merely fun at first and not amazing until around the 30s.

After watching the first few episodes, I decided to go with the manga for my One Piece experience. May jump into the anime again once I've finished that.

One piece anime has a rought start in term of pacing and they regulary take entire fillers arc that also started bad " argh lapis ".

The movies are quite awesome and recommanded , EXCEPT the 3rd one because it's bad imo ... all the other are watchable
i must admit that the first one piece movie hasn't aged very well.

One Piece is a damn good series when taken as a whole, but it's tough to recommend based on individual episodes. The anime is also pretty poorly paced, which gets worse even later on.

However, the payoff in many arcs is among the best the genre has to offer, and I'd go as far to say its highs trump even Hunter x Hunter. It's also a bit easier to consume than you would think at first, since a lot of episodes have super long recaps at the beginning that you can just skip. With that in mind, getting caught up now, would probably take around 130 hours or so, which is like the length of Dragon Quest 7 or something. Possibly much less if you look into the fanmade Paced One Piece, which edits down the later episodes significantly by cutting out filler and other stuff. You could think of it as playing a long JRPG that would only cost you around a week of your life in cumulative time.

If you're a manga reader, it may be better to go that route, but the anime is watchable thanks to the strength of the source material. Just know that it's merely fun at first and not amazing until around the 30s.

I AM a manga reader, but if the quality of the anime is as good as the transition from Hunter x Hunter to the 2011 anime I wouldn't mind bad pacing. I mean it didn't bother me with AoT. Though with 200+ episode I wouldn't know what to say.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria: S1-S3 + OVA

I could not handle all the feels in the end. Truly a wonderful and relaxing series. I will definitely be adding this entire series to my collection in the near future!
It should be cheaper now that they moved to liteboxes. They also come with loads of bonus interview stuff if you're into production, including two trips to Venice.

Also, now you can watch YKK and Sora no Woto! lol

Assuming your region is not affected, the entire series is up on YouTube and Hulu. Apparently someone thinks some of the episodes are for mature audiences, which is quite rude to the series' calming nature, so keep that in mind if you watch through YouTube and do not have an associated account. Pretty sure the only slightly mature thing in the show is the cat, President Aria's, occasional X-shaped bottom showing when dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NraaW...Rzu-ndJ2D1uIXg

http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-animation
http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-natural
http://www.hulu.com/aria-the-origination
I don't know why I haven't watched this series yet.
Yep, it's all streaming now, so it's super easy to watch.

So I was in Sanjo Station in Kyoto yesterday and I just realized that all(?) the characters in Inari Konkon Iroha are named after train stations in Kyoto.

The main girl has the double honor of being named after the Fushimi Inari station AND the Inari Fushimi Shrine (its the shrine she goes to with the orange arches, its a really famous shrine)

They should just replace the station names with names with those cardboard cutouts, like they did with that station from Hanasaku Iroha.

One piece anime has a rought start in term of pacing and they regulary take entire fillers arc that also started bad " argh lapis ".

The movies are quite awesome and recommanded , EXCEPT the 3rd one because it's bad imo ... all the other are watchable
i must admit that the first one piece movie hasn't aged very well.

Honestly, going through the manga now simply seems more palatable to me, especially when compared to the number of episodes in the anime. I will definitely keep the movies in mind though.

cnet128

Banned
I AM a manga reader, but if the quality of the anime is as good as the transition from Hunter x Hunter to the 2011 anime I wouldn't mind bad pacing. I mean it didn't bother me with AoT. Though with 200+ episode I wouldn't know what to say.

It's not really fair to compare any long-running shonen anime to Hunter x Hunter's 2011 adaptation.

That said, I am a really big fan of the One Piece anime, and though this could just be nostalgia talking to an extent, I feel that the soundtrack, VAs and so forth are classic and timeless enough to make the anime the better way of getting into the series, and definitively superior to the manga as an experience for at least the first couple hundred episodes.

Well clearly we need to fix this. G Gundam is the best Gundam show ever made. Unlike other Gundam shows, that sink into the filth and dross of angsty, melodramatic, fauxlitical plots, G Gundam is about punching the shit out of the Devil and how being a true man is all about true love and punching the shit out of people.

G Gundam is a man's man's Gundam. Puts hair on your chest and heroism in your heart. Dorothy didn't need to see the Wizard. She and her pals could've solved all their probbums if they'd just watched G Gundam.

If G Gundam ever gets a rerelease in NA, you should be quoted on the box ;).

What you could do is read the manga and watch the scenes you like animated. There are many that are damn good, like a lot of arc conclusions.

There are definitely nice things about the anime not present in the manga (mostly just the obvious stuff like a soundtrack and stuff, which is pretty good), but it is not on the same level as Hunter x Hunter 2011 as far as adaptations go. That had the advantage of rebooting with nearly 400 chapters of material to work with, while One Piece is always playing a game of chicken with the manga and possibly catching up to it.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 42

Wait...the tour's over? Uh, okay I guess.

Oh right, he's Johnny Bepp and now he's dressed as a pirate. I get it.

One piece anime does have fantastic finales for their arcs .. it's just a shame that it's so close to the manga that they have such an horrible pacing making it very hard to follow past a certain point if you're watching weekly..

One piece does have a set of must-see episodes , if only for the music and animation
because one piece soundtrack is really , really high quality.

But yeah , manga is better , so much better as a whole package.

---------------
Tokyo ravens - 15

Tokyo ravens still has a very poor opening animation ( it's not done yet ) but the episode itself was again pretty good... i guess tokyo ravens finally hit a nice blend of drama , mystery & action , without abusing too much on the horrible CG.
More important , the group of characters that are the heroes of this anime finally seems like "proper" characters, their relation chart is simple and clear, their strenght and weakness established and we can all work on from there.
MUCH MORE BETTER than the DRAMA

Jarmel

Banned
One thing I'm seeing people bring up in conjunction with Akame Ga Kill and White Fox is budget. I thought Shingeki would have taught everybody that it has more to do with a solid production schedule and good animators than anything have to do with throwing large sums of money at a show.

It should be cheaper now that they moved to liteboxes. They also come with loads of bonus interview stuff if you're into production, including two trips to Venice.

Also, now you can watch YKK and Sora no Woto! lol

I will definitely get the liteboxes once all are available by sometime in May. Would have preferred the thinpaks, but the first season's thinpak went OOP late last year.

Will try to look into Sora no Woto. I have no idea what YKK could be other than Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, which looks interesting, but I may have to stick to other people's reviews if I cannot find a legal stream.

As I keep watching Hunter x Hunter the one thing I think it's missing, as cheesy as it is, is
a near death scene for either Gon or Killua that makes the other go super saiyan

*spoilered as to not give hints as to what has happened and my speculations.

zeroshiki

One thing I'm seeing people bring up in conjunction with Akame Ga Kill and White Fox is budget. I thought Shingeki would have taught everybody that it has more to do with a solid production schedule and good animators than anything have to do with throwing large sums of money at a show.

Money isn't everything but it helps to cover up alot of flaws. I mean, even Deen produces half decent animation in some of their movie projects.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 12

That conversation between Doremi and Seki-sensei at the beginning might have been my favorite moment of the season so far.

I still miss baby Hana-chan. And does this whole deal with Kotake mean he's going to be showing up more? Bleh. That was a pretty nice gesture he showed making himself slip on the banana though. Still don't like him.

Namek x Namek 111-113

I'm not sure how long the general slow pace of this segment continues on, but depending on that situation, I might play the waiting game in order to binge it. It does give the feeling that a lot of shit is going down, and that it's rather hectic. It also showcases Killua's biggest mistake here. And that is splitting from Gon. And I am now up to date!

Come join us in the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom