• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nagi no Asukara 16
Some drama but then some sweetness. Guessing Hikari still is under a lot of stress.
I'm not quite getting how miuna was able to breathe underwater. Just because that there were some extra Ena particles around? Also, the last scene was a nice reintroduction

survivor

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 16
Some drama but then some sweetness. Guessing Hikari still is under a lot of stress.
I'm not quite getting how miuna was able to breathe underwater. Just because that there were some extra Ena particles around? Also, the last scene was a nice reintroduction

Was that why she was able to breath? I thought it was because of her mom being from the sea so she inherited the Ena.

Was that why she was able to breath? I thought it was because of her mom being from the sea so she inherited the Ena.

But that doesn't make too much sense since non-ocean people aren't supposed to have Ena sort of like a recessive gene. Though both theories seem to make about equal amounts of little sense

Bombless

Samurai Flamenco 14

This show always puts the widest, dumbest and earnest smile on my face. The rabbit hole goes ever, ever, EVER deeper!

CorvoSol

ICE 1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I, I, I'm sorry, hold on let me give you an actual review

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLOOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOLOLLOLOOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLOOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO

No, no, you're right, that was rude of me. Let me give it to you in Portuguese, maybe I can be more articulate that way

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Japanese

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

THERE COULD NOT EVER BE A REVIEW

duckroll

Short Peace - Opening (Koji Morimoto)

eAg0Q04.jpg

Well there isn't much to say about this other than it's a typical classic Morimoto style opening. The girl in the piece is well animated and captures the tone of an Alice led through a rabbit hole which leads to many different worlds with different possibilities. It's a colorful and expressive music video of sorts which summarizes the purpose of the Short Peace anthology project.

Short Peace - Combustible (Katsuhiro Otomo)

The first short in the anthology is by Otomo himself, and it's a pretty artistic attempt to tell a rather simple but tragic story set during the great Edo fire. Otomo puts a lot of effort here in trying something unique, with the story unfolding as if it were animated on a historical parchment, letterboxed by the parchment itself. The narrative shows artistic ambition as well, as it tries to use a short story to contrast the emotions and lives of the two characters with the elemental and destructive nature of the fire itself. Unfortunately that's about as much credit as I can give it, since I don't think it really comes together very well.

The heavy reliance on CG animation to handle subtle character motion is a poor choice because it gives the short a very unnatural look, which even if intended as part of the tone, simply looks jarring and ugly. The art direction also seems a bit of a miss to me, but I think I'm just not a fan of the sort of Japanese period art that it seeks to imitate. I found the execution of the story to be rather weak because of the limited runtime, and the direction and visuals never really came together to create any sort of emotional impact.

Short Peace - Tsukumo (Shuhei Morita)

The second short is a full CG piece about a lost traveller seeking shelter in a haunted temple during a thunderstorm. Since there is no hybrid animation work here, the visuals were consistent and there is some pretty creative use of effects and camera work which would have been difficult to achieve traditionally. The story is not complex, but it was fun and whimsical enough to keep my attention. Not a particularly ambitious short, but it handled the material well and was definitely enjoyable and cute.

Short Peace - Gambo (Hiroaki Ando)

This is the stand out of the anthology for me. A total surprise and something which I felt validated the entire existence of this collection of stories. The best thing about anthologies is that you never really know what you'll get, and having a mix means there's a chance that there'll be something really good in the lot even if they're not all ground breaking.

At it's heart, Gambo is a traditional Japanese horror story. Not scary in the way modern horror is, but rather a very strange and somewhat macabre tale in a setting where the contents of the odd incident clashes with the time and place it is set in. The visuals are creepy and grotesque, but also filled with an uncompromising vision which is executed so well by some of the best hybrid animation I've seen.

While there's nothing inherently original about a story of a friendly monster fighting another monster to protect an innocent child, but I've certainly never seen it depicted in this way before. It's rare enough to see animation tackle monsters battles, so seeing that theme used in a really well thought out Japanese horror tale with fantastic visuals is a huge bonus.

Short Peace - Farewell to Arms (Hajime Katoki)

This is the longest of the shorts, and runs for twice as any of the other ones, clocking at over 20 minutes. It's not a particularly complex or deep story either. It's Katoki being totally indulgent after being given the chance to direct something of this nature. While it does drag a bit, it's hard to really be negative about it because the short is very good at what it wants to do.

This is a classic man versus machine tale pitting a squad of relatively well equipped and well trained men in a post-apocalyptic setting against a defensive mech weapon which simply refuses to give up or die. The action is pretty exciting, the battle is well staged, there are really nice explosions and effects, and the ending contains a stinger which makes the narrative feel smarter than it would otherwise.

There's also some great use of music and the entire short feels really cinematic. The opening moments set the tone well, the battle itself has good moments of suspense and a lot of money shots, and the ending leaves just enough for the viewer to reflect and have a laugh. I think out of all of the shorts, this one definitely wants to feel like a mini-film the most, and it mostly succeeds.

In terms of weaknesses, aside from the length I would say that this also feels the most traditionally "anime" out of all the shorts in the anthology. There's a very modern feel to the CG/2D hybrid animation, which is to say it is pretty obvious and doesn't mesh perfectly. There's also a very hyperactive camera which uses more jitter than I would like.

Overall it would be my pick for the second best short in the collection though. Gambo is way better, but Farewell is probably easier to go on and on about because it's a much more familiar sort of work.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 16
Bes9KBuCAAAMEvV.png

Way to fun of an episode and then the right moments with Hikari and brief portions of his past (tailor scene etc). He fits in great in the class too
wonder if Kaname will also join in too
. Though Tsumugu doesnt really seem that much taller than Hikari.

cnet128

Banned
Kill la Kill 15

Hot damn, that confrontation certainly didn't disappoint.

Mako and Gamagoori...a pair of star-crossed lovers forced by cruel circumstance to meet as enemies on the field of battle. Such beautiful tragedy!

And next week it looks like we're going to get some delicious exposition from everybody's favourite Nudist. Can't wait.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 43

Man, Alice in Wonderland really caught on with anime directors, didn't it? But this rendition sucked. Ran wasn't a very "mad" Mad Hatter. Looked cool in a top hat though. Also Mizuki is a croquet beast. Who knew? Also how is having the cast be made up of Shion's friends not blatant favoritism? Guy was in cahoots with Headmistress.

Log Horizon Episode 16

Best Fall OP: Log Horizon
Best Winter OP: Log Horizon

I want to play Elder Tales.

I see Shirou his made a miniversion of himself in Minori.

i think minori was watching shirou so much that " something happenned"

Or she
is a maiden in love ...and this is only the first step.

Mature

Short Peace
Ah, thanks for this write-up, I've been looking forward to this. Sounds like a pretty mixed bag in general, but I'm glad at least one of them really stuck out for you. Knowing very little about the shorts, I was most excited for Combustible, but having read this, Gambo does sound exciting.

CorvoSol

I only lasted 7 minutes before I gave up, so if you managed to watch all of the first part that's 30 more than I could manage. Impressive to say the least.

A few of my favorite moments:

"Men used guns because they're violent. Because we're peaceful women we use SWORD GUNS!" *immediate cut to a bunch of women with guns.* "Women are all about love!" *except how they destroyed the world when there were suddenly no men left.

*shooting a naked baby.*

*inserting a massive syringe into the uterus suggestively.*

*Sperm of Christ.*

SPERM. OF. JESUS. CHRIST.

"Hey let's have sex because we're friends now! Here, feel my boob!"

My favorite part of ICE is that it is absolutely a List Quality Dub entirely in Japanese.

Don't let other people bully you into watching Utena. Nobody can force you to watch it!

I was bullied into watching Utena. Possibly the best peer pressure this thread has ever done to me.

For "The List" has Psychic Wars been suggested yet? It has a man
punch cancer in the face
and it makes no sense whatsoever.

NOT UNTIL I GET MY WAY AND A WAKENING OF THE TRAIL BLAZER GETS PUT ON.

cajunator

Banned
I havent been watching anime lately but because i was i was kinda sick and couldnt do anything. I decided to watch some anime. So i wanted to watch an magic shoujo anime like cardcaptor sakura or something so i stumbled across:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

So let me just watch 2 episodes this looks good.......... 5 hours later and 12 episodes my reaction: SUDGHHUVQUVGVWG@@88!!! holy balls what a ride and dem feels never expected this out of a shoujo anime.

WEll thats quite an interesting bait and switch of sorts. but Im glad it worked out Madoka Magica is an excellent show to be baited into watching because it is highly rewarding on its own merits.

Thanks for the recomendation i will check it out looks more like cardcaptor sakura and lighthearted.

Also did a little research but Urobuchi Gen did Fate zero?? loved that anime that and Idolm@ster have been the reason i got back into anime. Maybe i should check out Suisei no Gargantia by him. :)

Yep Gen did that. Its very very dark at times but its a beautifully produced show and really intriguing to watch the chess pieces moving.

Mature

A few of my favorite moments:

"Men used guns because they're violent. Because we're peaceful women we use SWORD GUNS!" *immediate cut to a bunch of women with guns.* "Women are all about love!" *except how they destroyed the world when there were suddenly no men left.

*shooting a naked baby.*

*inserting a massive syringe into the uterus suggestively.*

*Sperm of Christ.*

SPERM. OF. JESUS. CHRIST.

"Hey let's have sex because we're friends now! Here, feel my boob!"

My favorite part of ICE is that it is absolutely a List Quality Dub entirely in Japanese.ON.
And to think that my favorite moments are in the last act.

wonzo

Banned
Me too. Zack from ANN's high praise for it put me off ever watching it.
Not that I hate Zac...just that everything he praises I tend to not like. Aku no hana and Watamote being two recent examples. We just have different tastes and all.
I also still haven't watched School Days. Well I watched the first three episodes got bored and dropped it. Rather glad I did given I went into it cold.
spacepalm.gif

Naruto Shippuden 346

Didn't think they would have expanded on Nagato, Yahiko, and Konan's backstroy.

Nice surprise. But if they don't show Nagato meeting Obito after Yahiko dies, then this will just have been a waste of time.

CorvoSol

That part is when I stopped the video. I knew I was done right there.

That was how I knew things were about to get great.

And to think that my favorite moments are in the last act.

Of the first episode? All I remember from the end of that was
JESUS CHRIST'S SPERM IS WHAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE BABIES BUT ALSO MONSTERS.

Basically as soon as the phrase
Sperm of Christ
was uttered my brain just started laughing like a mad man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom