• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Honestly, the anime is already so rushed for time that adding in additional stuff, even if it was good, probably would've made it worse.

Fair point, since they have a ton of stuff to cover.

Counter point: "You're a man. Just let 'em dangle." deserves to be animated.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 03

This show ...
This show ....

If sakura trick wasn't airing , it would have been my favorite , period.

i don't know how this show does it , but it's working ... it's really working

Not good i have giffed the entire episode already ... it's so gif worthy

I don't know what to do
First
The big sister is awesome

her running gag with the vice president was actually pretty good.

Second
The little sister was cajun worthy ...

Yes this scene deserved a FULL GIF.. no i don't have any regrets !

Episode was freaking awesome.

Oh and teh drama will obviously be solved , quite soon even. I do wonder about the "granfather" that is such an influence that the big sister can't do a thing about it.

Same way feel honestly, this show just hits all the right notes.

Oh God, Woofington. I should've known you were into dogs.

9XhFJLj.gif

I have no comeback lol

Quasar

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 03

Oh and teh drama will obviously be solved , quite soon even. I do wonder about the "granfather" that is such an influence that the big sister can't do a thing about it.

You know...after the prior episode with the flashback showing the wolf in the shadows and all I did half wonder if Hakuya was some kind of werewolf/shapechanger (I guess that's what anime has done to my brain). Now I guess he just protected Kobeni from a wolf attack.

Still doesn't really explain the family union, or why Benio didn't get chosen. Its not like she is much older.

CorvoSol

Rise? Eh she was my third favorite after Naoto, can't argue against that. If you had liked Yukiko or Chie it'd be a different story.

I'd actually rank Naoto as beneath Yukiko or Chie, but I'm biased against Naoto because I did not max that SLink out and
she
showed up so late in the game.

Rise was Laura Bailey. I'd been going Yukiko until I found that out, then I was like, "Well, it's been real, Yukiko, but there's a LAURA BAILEY in town."

I mean SMT4 her character doesn't even get official artwork and still manages to be the best girl in the game.

Jesus christ, my anime club has become unbearable. New fucking member joins up who is extremely rude. Constantly bitches when we offer the dub option for shows like Brotherhood, Bebop, Monster, Space Dandy because "English voice actors can't act." Constantly bitches about how anime is a shit medium for any sort of plot so we might as well only watch shows like Kill la Kill where we can ogle the characters, or shows with pretty art. And now everyone and their mother cracking unfunny jokes, and screaming "OH YEAH HIT HIM!" during any emotional scene that escalates into a physical confrontation... or "Oh Yeah GUURL POWER!" said unironically every single time a female hits a male character (which happens every 10 goddamn seconds in the shows we happen to watch).

OceanBlue

Guys, Strike Witches also has Chiwa Saito and the best Rie!

Jesus christ, my anime club has become unbearable. New fucking member joins up who is extremely rude. Constantly bitches when we offer the dub option for shows like Brotherhood, Bebop, Monster, Space Dandy because "English voice actors can't act." And now everyone and their mother cracking unfunny jokes, and screaming "OH YEAH HIT HIM!" during any emotional scene that escalates into a physical confrontation... or "Oh Yeah GUURL POWER!" said unironically every single time a female hits a male character (which happens every 10 goddamn seconds in the shows we happen to watch).

Damn, that sounds awful. Do you know enough people in the club that you can peer pressure them into quieting down? Sometimes club presidents are sympathetic to complaints like this too. Or you can just try and get them to shut up yourself. :D

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 44

If the band has become so popular, how does nobody there recognize the groundskeeper as the lead goddamn singer?

Also how do you get inspired by that lame song? It's not even theirs. They were performing it long before Soliel was a thing. Hell, Ichigo sang it at her audition.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jesus christ, my anime club has become unbearable. New fucking member joins up who is extremely rude. Constantly bitches when we offer the dub option for shows like Brotherhood, Bebop, Monster, Space Dandy because "English voice actors can't act." Constantly bitches about how anime is a shit medium for any sort of plot so we might as well only watch shows like Kill la Kill where we can ogle the characters, or shows with pretty art. And now everyone and their mother cracking unfunny jokes, and screaming "OH YEAH HIT HIM!" during any emotional scene that escalates into a physical confrontation... or "Oh Yeah GUURL POWER!" said unironically every single time a female hits a male character (which happens every 10 goddamn seconds in the shows we happen to watch).
Sounds like somebody needs to learn the true joy of dubbing.

Aikatsu! 44

If the band has become so popular, how does nobody there recognize the groundskeeper as the lead goddamn singer?

Also how do you get inspired by that lame song? It's not even theirs. They were performing it long before Soliel was a thing. Hell, Ichigo sang it at her audition.

Because everyone forgot about them, why do you think it took her forever to remember Janitor's secret?

Thoraxes

Let Big Green handle his ass the proper way.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know what joy there is in dubbing, but still its pretty bloody uncivilised to act that way.
Well, there are three ways go to about this. Show them something that teaches them to be grateful that their dub is merely mediocre, show them something with a legitimately excellent dub, or get in his face and tell him to sit down and shut the fuck up.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Oh yeah, also should find a nice short and sweet plot-heavy title.

Damn, that sounds awful. Do you know enough people in the club that you can peer pressure them into quieting down? Sometimes club presidents are sympathetic to complaints like this too. Or you can just try and get them to shut up yourself. :D

The douchey opinionated fucker is friends with one of the officers. Who, while he doesn't seem to agree, doesn't seem to mind the dude's opinions because they bond over similar manga/anime interests. The one making the "gurrl power" comments is actually an officer. So yeah. The people in power are basically fucking things up.

Quasar

Well, there are three ways go to about this. Show them something that teaches them to be grateful that their dub is merely mediocre, show them something with a legitimately excellent dub, or get in his face and tell him to sit down and shut the fuck up.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Oh yeah, also should find a nice short and sweet plot-heavy title.

I've always wondered what a funimation dub of Monogatari would be like.

Quasar

The douchey opinionated fucker is friends with one of the officers. Who, while he doesn't seem to agree, doesn't seem to mind the dude's opinions because they bond over similar manga/anime interests. The one making the "gurrl power" comments is actually an officer. So yeah. The people in power are basically fucking things up.

Sounds like a coup is needed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Granted, I'm usually not big on dubs myself, but I know that both legitimately good ones and entertainingly bad ones exist and I wouldn't bitch and moan about being given the option for a public viewing in a group setting.

Although practical matters like bad acoustics or giving people space to make jokes can fall in favor of subbing or at least closed captioning.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've always wondered how somebody here who likes yaoi or yuri might overlook many issues with a show simply because they have yaoi and yuri subtext. I mean I like romance but if a show is widely considered bad I wouldn't recommend the show and make it seem like the best show ever simply because it has that.
It's strange, because what I want - a realistic or at least grounded version queer life in Japan - is something that no one in Japan wants. The fact that Shimura ended her two long running books kind of points to that anyway. The fact that all we really get are subtext shows or "bubble" shows like Sakura Trick or World's First Love which exist in a fantasy version of Japan is kind of sad, because it feels like they cater more to the straight nerd audiences of each respective genre.

Of course, HBO recently just put out Looking, which has been described as post-Queer as Folk or just post-gay, since it is seemingly a show about being gay in SF but without any of the baggage that a gay show has. No closet angst, no AIDS/HIV angst, no alienation. Just a bunch of guys doing something "mundane" like date each other.

So you might say, "Hey firehawk12, you're a hypocrite, because that's exactly what Sakura Trick is!" The problem is that in America, in 2014, and specifically in SF/The Castro, it makes sense to have a show that normalizes homosexuality. If you want to tell me that there's an anime about girls/guys/trans people making out with each other all the time and it's set in nichome? Then yeah, I'd be in with bells on. Hell, I'd love a jdrama version of that, since it's clear that you can't make an anime about being gay and have anyone watch it. Intersexuality was close, I suppose.

But here we are. In a weird grey area where queerness is normalized, but in what I feel is a very problematic manner.

Rise Kujikawa. I mean who even competes with Laura Bailey?
Jennifer Hale > Laura Bailey.

Jintor

but you can't waifu jennifer hale. (except in brutal legend, but then
she drowns in a lake and comes back as a murderous spirit of emo metal
)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
but you can't waifu jennifer hale. (except in brutal legend, but then
she drowns in a lake and comes back as a murderous spirit of emo metal
)
You can, however, have her call you dicktits in Bulletstorm. Although I have no idea if she ever says it herself. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno. Tricia Helfer, sure, but I'll need to mull over Jennifer Hale.
Eww, don't even bring her up.

I'm glad her stupid TV show is bombing and is probably going to get cancelled. :p

(I'm sure you can make a cop show about a bad ass female Texas ranger, but she's not the actress to carry that show).

Witch Craft Works 03

moxZRw5l.jpg

Rather enjoyed this episode. I like the little skits and comedy, the art was really nice during the sunset and some parts of the attack on a bus were nice too.

I'm rather enjoying this adaptation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you want to tell me that there's an anime about girls/guys/trans people making out with each other all the time and it's set in nichome? Then yeah, I'd be in with bells on.
if the focus of the show is that they make out all the time how is that in any way progressive? for that matter how does setting a story about same sex relationships verified by defaulting to the most obvious location?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
if the focus of the show is that they make out all the time how is that in any way progressive?
Well, even in America, for all the gay characters on TV - they never actually touch each other.
Modern Family has an arc about gay marriage becoming legal and two of the leads getting married. I think their wedding episode might be the first time they will (presumably) kiss each other after 4 seasons of this show.

Our bond will never be broken!
So do you have a ranking of the NicoNico/Youtube Yamato Girls yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom