• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 84
Crazy catgirl... or boy. The fact he uses "boku" kind of offsets the whole cute cat girl thing. Regardless... she's creepy. Very, very creepy.

R.I.P. Pokkle. I loved your ability and sad to see you go so... gruesomely.

Tenchi GXP Dub 12

First half was the most boring/worst Tenchi GXP has been. Second half got a bit better when Ryoko showed up and joined Team Harem. Also nice little cameo at the end. Overall kind of an ehh episode

zeroshiki

Jesus christ, my anime club has become unbearable. New fucking member joins up who is extremely rude. Constantly bitches when we offer the dub option for shows like Brotherhood, Bebop, Monster, Space Dandy because "English voice actors can't act." Constantly bitches about how anime is a shit medium for any sort of plot so we might as well only watch shows like Kill la Kill where we can ogle the characters, or shows with pretty art. And now everyone and their mother cracking unfunny jokes, and screaming "OH YEAH HIT HIM!" during any emotional scene that escalates into a physical confrontation... or "Oh Yeah GUURL POWER!" said unironically every single time a female hits a male character (which happens every 10 goddamn seconds in the shows we happen to watch).

I didn't know 7th joined your club.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well, even in America, for all the gay characters on TV - they never actually touch each other.
how much do couples touch on american TV normally? i have no real gauge for this because i pretty much only watch hbo.

i would honestly rather have the focus be removed from physical contact. otherwise there's just this creepy sexualized view that comes from a heavy focus on characters engaging with one another in that manner (a la sakura trick). the other outcome for playing up the physical side of a same sex relationship feels exploitative of the perceived taboo.

zeroshiki

Well, even in America, for all the gay characters on TV - they never actually touch each other.
Modern Family has an arc about gay marriage becoming legal and two of the leads getting married. I think their wedding episode might be the first time they will (presumably) kiss each other after 4 seasons of this show.

So do you have a ranking of the NicoNico/Youtube Yamato Girls yet?

Brothers and Sisters had 2 gay characters get married and they constantly kiss each other. (Or used to. I don't know if that show is even airing anymore.)

sonicmj1

Not that I hate Zac...just that everything he praises I tend to not like. Aku no hana and Watamote being two recent examples. We just have different tastes and all.

Just because Zac is a crazy person doesn't mean that you should avoid good shows that he just happens to appreciate.

I found Watamote boring, but Utena is an absolute classic. Trust Hito.

CorvoSol

Eww, don't even bring her up.

I'm glad her stupid TV show is bombing and is probably going to get cancelled. :p

(I'm sure you can make a cop show about a bad ass female Texas ranger, but she's not the actress to carry that show).

Did you not watch Spectacular Spider-Man? I mean Black Cat is already the actual best girl in Spidey's Harem, but Tricia as Black Cat is glorious.

And I know you're not dissing her role as Six on BSG, bro. I KNOW you're not doin' that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
how much do couples touch on american TV normally? i have no real gauge for this because i pretty much only watch hbo.

i would honestly rather have the focus be removed from physical contact. otherwise there's just this creepy sexualized view that comes from a heavy focus on characters engaging with one another in that manner (a la sakura trick). the other outcome for playing up the physical side of a same sex relationship feels exploitative of the perceived taboo.
Sure, couples will kiss each other all the time. Cam and Mitchell barely hold each other's hands.

I mean, let's not talk about yuri, because the stuff that gets animated is all the same - high school girls who fake-yuri themselves. When you look at something like World's First Love, it is basically guys blushing and kissing each other, living in some form of Japan that doesn't otherwise have any kind of queer culture. I think that's exploitative, since it's not trying to paint any kind of real picture about the characters or the context that they find themselves in. It's a shoujo where all the characters are men.

Of course, the only anime that I can think of that features some aspect of nichome at all is Antique Bakery, and that probably align with what you're expecting. Gay characters who are gay, to the point where one of them is a "gay killer" (lulz), but where the story comes from the three leads interacting with each other.

Brothers and Sisters had 2 gay characters get married and they constantly kiss each other. (Or used to. I don't know if that show is even airing anymore.)
I never did watch that show. But yeah, it's long gone.
My understanding is that The Good Wife has a decent lesbian character, but I have no idea.

Finally watched the first ep of Titan and...it's pretty good. The ending really made me want to check the next one out, so I can see marathoning it for 15 or so eps the next time I'm off if it holds my attention. How is it so far? Is there always something happening to keep you interested?

wonzo

Banned
Kyou no Asuka Show 1-20 END
kyoasu10.jpg
kyoasu14.jpg

kyoasu17.jpg
kyoasu18.jpg

I saw the first 5 eps ages ago so i had to rewatch them now the rest has been finished off and this is honestly a pretty funny series once you look past how perverted it is. You can't go wrong with this at 3mins an ep.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did you not watch Spectacular Spider-Man? I mean Black Cat is already the actual best girl in Spidey's Harem, but Tricia as Black Cat is glorious.

And I know you're not dissing her role as Six on BSG, bro. I KNOW you're not doin' that.
I don't know if I blame her for Six or Ron Moore. lol

And she doesn't "act" or "voice act". She's just herself all the time. :p

Wrong. Go over there and give Shadowlord a big sloppy kiss.
FemShep4life.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 45

They didn't do nearly enough with Headmistress and Johnny-sensei this episode. Also Johnny needed a speedo.

Mizuki, that's the nicest I've ever heard somebody tell somebody else to not be pimpin'.

Tenchi GXP Dub 13

Ryoko is a princess and words words words words words holy crap I don't care and this was horribly boring. Maybe if I really cared about the Tenchi meta verse but I just generally enjoy it and don't care about the lore. Second half had a surprise loli who joined the harem crew. Well she's not actually part of the cat fight yet but I assume she's going to be by the end next episode. This show is starting to fall apart the more story focused it gets

Tenumi

Banned
I'm actually kind of glad I was only in my school's anime club for one year (my 12th grade year). Full of girls with the obvious anime likes. At least the club leader was cool.

Also, I'm starting to get a sense of being able to identify voice actors by voice. This is not good...

survivor

Banned
I never did watch that show. But yeah, it's long gone.
My understanding is that The Good Wife has a decent lesbian character, but I have no idea.
Kalinda is pretty awesome character, but they really don't do much in exploring her relationship in a meaningful way outside of cheap 5 minute sex filler scenes.

edit: I think that's who you are referring to anyway right? though she is bisexual in the show so maybe not?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kalinda is pretty awesome character, but they really don't do much in exploring her relationship in a meaningful way outside of cheap 5 minutes lesbian sex filler scenes.
Sounds like Sakura Trick then. :p

(Well, to be honest, it sounds like how most TV treats lesbian characters. lol)

OceanBlue

Magical Warfare - 3

This is just too much for me. Usually I'm okay with wimpy or dense protagonists and harem jealousy, but the show is just such a slog to go through. The show is dour at its best and angsty at its worst. The protagonist has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even generic protagonists tend to be friendly, brave, or at least happy. This guy just sounds mopey and whiny all of the time even when he isn't supposed to. Everyone's just so depressing to watch except for the main character's best friend. It doesn't help that the color palette is so flat and dull and the pacing drags you from one gloomy character monologue to another without any sort of breathing room. I'm not very picky when it comes to entertainment, but this show just isn't fun to watch. :(

I'm actually kind of glad I was only in my school's anime club for one year (my 12th grade year). Full of girls with the obvious anime likes. At least the club leader was cool.

Also, I'm starting to get a sense of being able to identify voice actors by voice. This is not good...
That's hardly something to be ashamed about, there are a good number of seiyuu I could easily recognize by voice.

Kazzy

PERSONA 4: TA 1

But I get their interpretation. When P4 begins Yu doesn't have any courage, smarts, understanding, etc. So that he's kind of an apathetic kid makes sense, as long as that's only how he starts.

He never struck me as being particularly apathetic, in fact, he's really quite caustic. The anime also plays up his relationship with Yosuke a little more, and it makes sense why he would gravitate towards him, seeing he's the living embodiment of what he wants to (or at least perceives himself) to be.

I've said it before, but it's a deeply flawed adaptation - though I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it as a fan.

It manages to evoke the game in some interesting ways.

Thoraxes

Modern Family has an arc about gay marriage becoming legal and two of the leads getting married. I think their wedding episode might be the first time they will (presumably) kiss each other after 4 seasons of this show.

So do you have a ranking of the NicoNico/Youtube Yamato Girls yet?
Not yet, but soon.

CorvoSol

He never struck me as being particularly apathetic, in fact, he's really quite caustic. The anime also plays up his relationship with Yosuke a little more, and it makes sense why he would gravitate towards him, seeing he's the living embodiment of what he wants to (or at least perceives himself) to be.

I've said it before, but it's a deeply flawed adaptation - though I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it as a fan.

It manages to evoke the game in some interesting ways.

Maybe apathetic was the wrong choice of words. He just didn't seem super concerned with things yet in the first episode. He was more reserved than I played him.

Jarmel

Banned
Samurai Flamenco-14

This is so fucking stupid. If I had an ounce of willpower, I would have dropped this trash long long ago.

Kazzy

Maybe apathetic was the wrong choice of words. He just didn't seem super concerned with things yet in the first episode. He was more reserved than I played him.

He's detached as the narrative dictates, but whenever it's stuff that is more open to interpretation (such as the events and S-links), he becomes much more of his own character.

I'll put the anime to you like this - I really like the way they embellish some of the character stories, like Yukiko's. Rise also gets a lot of focus too.
The only character who gets their own OP.

Tenchi GXP Dub 14

Did I really watch 3 women in their 20's get jealous and try to compete with a 2000 12 year old girl? Holy shit this is getting stupid. The ending words words words explanation was really boring too.

Also why is mopping girl been added to the ED when she's not once shown any sexual interest in Seina?

inari, konkon, koi iroha - 02

Very good episode, lot of good moments ... the second train scene was something , even if i knew
that they wouldn't punish her .
Inari%2C%20Konkon%2C%20Koi%20Iroha%20-%2002.jpg

Heroine of the season !
but what the heck was that ending

Where is my episode 3 ? They have some explaining to do !

ZX IGNITION 03

MERRY CHRISTMAS. And, that's about it.

Probably going to drop this cause Thursdays have too many damn shows to watch and this isn't the card game show I thought it would be.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 46

They struggled that hard to smile in Johnny's lesson? They're highly ranked idols for fucks sake.

Not as much Johnny as I'd hoped going in. And the backstory really wasn't about Johnny so much as Mizuki and how she met him.

Branduil

Finally watched the first ep of Titan and...it's pretty good. The ending really made me want to check the next one out, so I can see marathoning it for 15 or so eps the next time I'm off if it holds my attention. How is it so far? Is there always something happening to keep you interested?

The pacing is not good if that's what you're asking.

Hunter x Hunter 106

The big scene in this episode was straight out of Fate Zero. And it was amazing. It helps this is how a regular person, especially one so cool and stoic, reacts to her aura. Gon and Killua may not be the strongest, but they're easily one of the braver ones... well at least Gon as Killua is mainly here for him.

Golden time - 15

See what happens when you mess things up ghost banri , you get this result .. banri pushed on despite the odds to have a "memory" , something he clearly lacks and this is the result .

F**k you ghost banri ..it's too late to scream "this isn't what i wanted" when you messed things up so bad in the first place.
Damn i was ready to give this episode a glorious note because it had NO LINDA but the events are now extra messed up

so yeah ghost banri need to find "peace" or get exorcised ASAP

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT ENDING.

Golden time - 15

See what happens when you mess things up ghost banri , you get this result .. banri pushed on despite the odds to have a "memory" , something he clearly lacks and this is the result .

F**k you ghost banri ..it's too late to scream "this isn't what i wanted" when you messed things up so bad in the first place.
Damn i was ready to give this episode a glorious note because it had NO LINDA but the events are now extra messed up

so yeah ghost banri need to find "peace" or get exorcised ASAP
lol

duckroll

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Is it set at 25 eps, or is it ongoing?

Well, it's over for now, but there wasn't an ending. The manga is insanely popular and the anime sold very well too, so they'll certainly be making more eventually, but they haven't announced anything yet.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Is it set at 25 eps, or is it ongoing?

First season is done. Second season might occur in a year or two since the manga will have enough material. But these seasons will come out slowly since the manga is so slow.

As to the pacing issues, they're definitely existent, and very apparent, but not enough to ruin a perfectly decent show that has introduced plenty of people to anime.

And one with a great OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom