• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver Spoon 2 03

LfiWODal.jpg

Well, it did a good job of capturing Hachiken's despair from the past.

I'm starting to think the writer of Hunter x Hunter is the japanese GRRM of making characters/races you hated before and making them surprisingly likable. I mean so many Chimera Ants I really like now.

Gazoinks

Gintama 1-24

I remember people saying that episode 25 is awesome and a big jump in quality, so I thought this was a good place to do a summary so far.

I'm really enjoying this show! It's basically consistently got better. First seven episodes were alright, eight was funny and it's been better and better since then. It also has shown a capacity to switch it up and become serious and/or touching when necessary (ep 24 surprised me in this respect).

Episode one was definitely the weakest, and it doesn't help that it feels completely superfluous and isn't really funny enough to maintain its double length. However, its existence is justified because it brought us Katoken Samba.

Well, it's over for now, but there wasn't an ending. The manga is insanely popular and the anime sold very well too, so they'll certainly be making more eventually, but they haven't announced anything yet.

First season is done. Second season might occur in a year or two since the manga will have enough material. But these seasons will come out slowly since the manga is so slow.

As to the pacing issues, they're definitely existent, and very apparent, but not enough to ruin a perfectly decent show that has introduced plenty of people to anime.

And one with a great OS.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. The only anime I've really watched for a good while now has been non-filler Naruto, so I need something to get back into.

wonzo

Banned
Samumenco 13-14

I was kinda wondering when
the superheroes in the art they released before the show began were gonna pop up
so that moment was pretty baller but nothing could prepare for that ending. :eek:oooooOOOOOOO

it's probably a shapeshifter trying to trick him but still.
HOLY SHIT

Syrinx

I'm becoming more and more interested in Hunter x Hunter, but I don't think I'm quite ready to jump into something that long yet given what I've already got going. If I liked Yu Yu Hakusho, should I consider this more?

Sweet. Thanks for the info. The only anime I've really watched for a good while now has been non-filler Naruto, so I need something to get back into.

Hey just let us know if you're ever interested in watching more. There are plenty of grade A anime that have already ended that are worth a watch for fans of any tv type. Shows like Fate Zero. Or Black Lagoon.

I'm becoming more and more interested in Hunter x Hunter, but I don't think I'm quite ready to jump into something that long yet given what I've already got going. If I liked Yu Yu Hakusho, should I consider this more?

If you like good shonen action, period, you should consider this. Yu Yu Hakusho up until the tournament was AMAZE BALLS. Hunter x Hunter 2011 has been amazing all the way through so far. Definitely give it a watch. I have a huge list of shit I gotta watch, also watching another show, and I've put everything on hold because I'm obsessed with this show

wonzo

Banned
Well, it's by the same manga author and it's a great adaptation of his best work so yeah.

Jarmel

Banned
K-ON!!-10
iLRqL1NVXlm9l.gif

Why do people argue over waifus in K-ON? It's clear who the winner is. People acting like a bunch of birds picking up dinner scraps that have fallen off the table.

I still like YYH more, but both are Togashi at his best (well, at least in terms of writing). HxH is most definitely worth watching even if some of the tropes present in YYH are completely turned on their head.

Magical warfare - 03

If there is one thing that i HATE in anime , that i really HATE , it's the characters that hate others for no reason. Arata kangatari was bad with that but unfortunatly i just found the 2014 version in magical warfare.

So your brother is a traitor because he acted before you ? that's it ? WHA THE HECK ?

That's a pretty stupid reason to hate someone ..it's ridiculous even !
I wasn't ready for a Triangle DRAMA so soon . I don't even have a prefered heroine so far , they all feel so disjucted .thsi anime need to seriously "improve each character develloppement " this episode started just way too many sub-plots

Jintor

I can't imagine the number of hairpins it'd take to pull off that initial style. They must have gone flying across the room when she shook her head.

wonzo

Banned
K-ON!!-10
]http://i.minus.com/iLRqL1NVXlm9l.gif
Why do people argue over waifus in K-ON? It's clear who the winner is. People acting like a bunch of birds picking up dinner scraps that have fallen off the table.
mugi > sawa-chan > nodoka > *

mugistrong.jpg

Nagi no Asukara 16

Still hate Hikari. Wish we'd get some more character development out of him. But Kaname is coming back and boy this should be interesting.

I feel so sorry for Chisaki and Miuna.

Mikakunin 3

Hakuya better be hiding a big ass scar under his bangs. And Benio still da best. Love the little combo with Nadeshiko.

Chuu2Chuu2 03

Uh, I guess the new girl wasn't as disastrous as I thought she would be.

Still doesn't give any real reason why this sequel even exists.

Hey just let us know if you're ever interested in watching more. There are plenty of grade A anime that have already ended that are worth a watch for fans of any tv type. Shows like Fate Zero. Or Black Lagoon.

If you like good shonen action, period, you should consider this. Yu Yu Hakusho up until the tournament was AMAZE BALLS. Hunter x Hunter 2011 has been amazing all the way through so far. Definitely give it a watch. I have a huge list of shit I gotta watch, also watching another show, and I've put everything on hold because I'm obsessed with this show

I do enjoy good shonen action that has an interesting and progressive story. For example, I love Naruto, but hated Bleach. Kinda not interested in One Piece, though I like it's distinctive style. Loved Death Note, and was into the first run of Full Metal Alchemist when it came out. FLCL and Monster were good as well. Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece. Redline is sitting in my closet but I have yet to watch it. I believe the last thing I watched was High School of the Dead, randomly enough lol. Just got a Crunchy Roll sub too, so there is that.

Yu Yu Kakusho was always a fun watch :^)

I do enjoy good shonen action that has an interesting and progressive story. For example, I love Naruto, but hated Bleach. Kinda not interested in One Piece, though I like it's distinctive style. Loved Death Note, and was into the first run of Full Metal Alchemist when it came out. FLCL and Monster were good as well. Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece. Redline is sitting in my closet but I have yet to watch it. I believe the last thing I watched was High School of the Dead, randomly enough lol. Just got a Crunchy Roll sub too, so there is that.

Yu Yu Kakusho was always a fun watch :^)

Then say no more and watch Hunter x Hunter, it's amazing and all the episodes are in Crunchyroll. Though that one might not end as the author is in hiatus apparently. There's also Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, if you meant the first iteration and not that (Brotherhood follows the manga)

He's the Japanese GRRM, but even slower.

what you did there.
gS5utvh.gif

Group Watch Results for this week.

Dokuro-Chan 1-2

The facial reactions, gore, and general premise actually managed to sell them on the show, and frankly, it was nice seeing it again. although group watch panty shots are more unbearable.

I mean jesus, I forgot how insane the reactions are here.

Noucome 1

Clearly became a SHOUT OUT WHAT YOU WANT! The shortness of the series helps it, and made it a contender of the list of things to watch.

GTO 3

Do I really have to say? It made it

Baka to Test 1

If it wasn't for the shortness of the show, I think it would've fell off for sure. (actually skipped out on watching this, partly because I've seen it, and because the atmosphere was pretty dead).

Black Rock Shooter TV 1

I didn't understand what was going on at all. No one else did either, so I'm assured on that. ED was the best thing about the show. And despite it being terrible, it didn't raise the dead too much. Sadly, I can't see the horrors unfold as it's a failure.

Murder Princess 1

Around here, I was getting burnt out tonight, and right as I mention that I was feeling burnt out, my computer blew up. lol.

Anyway, apparently it was too good to make fun of. So no Murder Princess.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) 1-6

Besides the visuals, what drew me to the show was when I found out this is from the writer of Anohana. I'm only 6 episodes in but I'm expecting someone to die, even though that doesn't happen in her other works.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kill La Kill 15

Fuck those delays were worth it. Episode was ridiculously hype. So good.

I feel like going out for a run at 2 in the morning.
While completely nude.
So hot blooded.

Quasar

Tenchi GXP Dub 14

Did I really watch 3 women in their 20's get jealous and try to compete with a 2000 12 year old girl? Holy shit this is getting stupid. The ending words words words explanation was really boring too.

Also why is mopping girl been added to the ED when she's not once shown any sexual interest in Seina?

Love makes you crazy.

Aikatsu! 45

nqUBhC7.jpg
AIjgHoL.jpg

Kaede still pulling her weights

Apparently watching Precure for too long has made me forget that yes, in fact, swimsuits still exists in shows made to sell plastic shit to kids. Thank you Aikatsu. It was actually rather weird. Damn you Decade.

Mortemis

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 14

I'm loving this show more and more with every twist.

The only thing consistent in this show is how fucking annoying Mari is.
Kill La Kill 15

Fuck those delays were worth it. Episode was ridiculously hype. So good.

I feel like going out for a run at 2 in the morning.
While completely nude.
So hot blooded.

Fuuuuuck. I was about to call it quits and watch it tomorrow, but fuck it you got me hyped. I'll watch it now.

zeroshiki

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 2

Hearing so much accented Japanese is a rare treat in anime.

What's even better is that its Kyoto-ben rather than standard Kansai-ben! Kyoto-ben just sounds way more classier.

The only other anime I remember that used non-Tokyo Japanese exclusively is Lovely Complex so it is pretty rare I agree.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 15:

Wow, that was certainly an adrenaline filled roller coaster of anime action insanity, I am actually glad the manic pacing is back it makes this show so much more enjoyable to watch. Anyway, I suppose it is good to know that Satsuki is not only an ardent Yu-Gi-Oh! player but an member of The Light from Young Justice. Meanwhile Monkey D. Matoi finds the heart of the cards and has become the most literally hot blooded shonen protagonist ever committed to animation. Also, I miss the track suits already, all of them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Silver Spoon S2 03

To be honest I really wasn't feeling it for the first couple episodes this season but this one had all the charm and fun I loved from the first season, the show really is at its best when the focus is mainly on both Hachiken and Mikage. Just a really good episode.

Aikatsu! 46

We finally get answers for Mizuki's Mystery Year off, on top of Johnny apparently being awesome enough to handle Masquerade. This however, makes me want to know...

JUST how old is Johnny Bepp anyway? I mean good lord, the years have done him wonders.

And we might get some answers for Masquerade too!.... Mainly the cast members themselves who needs it.

Kill la Kill 15

That was EXCELLENT! Damn exciting conclusion to the arc, thought it was made slightly less amazing thanks to Nonon fucking everything up. Can't wait to see where things go from here.

There should be a new OP next week, right?

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill 15-

tumblr_moz7wdyJMU1rcznqmo1_500.gif

So they finally realized that they're making an anime and actually animated something. Too bad they forgot that a big chunk of a fight sequence is the choreography. There are some ridiculously well animated bits like the falling tower sequence but the choreography just isn't there at all in this episode. It's a bunch of people twirling shit at each other. At one point it's just a bunch of swirls and doodles. Yes the sequences are fluid but that's it. The fight choreography as a whole in this show has been piss poor and this episode is just further confirmation of that. I'm still waiting to see a good hand to hand fight in this show. There's also some lack of animation at a crucial moment in the episode.
When Ryuuko punches Satsuki

As for the story and narrative, I've kinda just accepted that it's shit and have moved on in that regards. It still stings but it is what it is. The bigger problem though is Ryuuko and Satsuki as characters. They're both static as fuck.
Satsuki again gets her way and is again proven a genius mastermind. Ryuuko on the other hand is again tricked and played like a violin.
The end of the episode seemingly was promising at least some minor developments on that front but nope. It's like this show is stuck in some vortex where there should be some forward progress and development but it keeps circling back to the status quo. Also please god tell me Ryuuko is not going to fight the 3 Stars again.

The show is just treading water at this point.

Thoraxes

Kill la Kill - 15

Sheeeeeet that was insane. And the preview. The
battle was insane, the tower stuff was awesome, and I really liked how each of the kamui evolved even further. It's a shame what happened to most of Nudist Beach, but next episode should provide a new direction. Sensei getting naked then having glowing nipples at the end was great.
Really looking forward to what happens next! The action was fantastic this episode, and personally
I can't wait for Satsuki's hubris to become her downfall. Her getting caught off-guard in this episode was just the tip.

Fuuuuuuck next week is going to take forever to come. The preview man,
I can't wait to finally find out all the info about Dr. Matoi. He was obviously an incredible man, but what was his mission and what did he strive to achieve? I really want to know everything!

I think i'm gonna rewatch it nude for all my beach nakama.

Hunter x Hunter 113

Ok whoever said that the infamous 15 second Attack on Titan episode was slow was bad with its pacing hasn't seen this episode. Also I'm getting tired of the narrator being the only one talking haha.

Though that Gon face at the end. How many episodes do the manga readers estimate before the arc is over? I remember KirbYayoi saying that there were a couple of more fights that haven't been animated yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom