• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

No-rin ep 3
Comedy show of the season despite the echhi 101 lesson. Great lines,great comedic timing and quick to shoot out jokes and tsukkomi. This is really a fun show to watch.

NeonZ

New Keroro anime confirmed to be only 5 minute short episodes.

Animax is creating a "Keroro Hour" block, an entire hour of Keroro, but out of that only the first 5 minutes are new stories. The rest of the block just reruns two episodes of the first anime.

http://www.keroro.com/blog_kia/2014/01/post_13.html

Starts March 22nd. It's not really surprising considering how it's flash animation, but it's still disappointing. The revealed storyboards seemed to resemble the ones of a standard anime...

Psychic Wars - This time all 50 minutes!

Last time I watched this I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Today I've given it another shot and well...it's terrible.

Here's the story:

We follow our hero Ukyo who is a just an ordinary doctor in Osaka and he's rediculously boring. One of the patients at the hospital talks about having a cancer that is beyond comprehension it gets removed and is then prodded at by various doctors and nurses. It then goes to him in this cabin in the middle of nowhere and is then contacted by 5 floating nuns through a priceless gold statue who tell him he's the chosen one to defeat a demon race that is terrorising the world, he then gets super golden powers which are powered up by the sun(?). He is essentially Superman if he was the most boring man alive.

The cancer then escapes it's glass cage and starts attacking a doctor and this makes boring Superman sense that he's needed.
Ukyo then punches a wall to enter the room and then after a brief struggle punches the cancer in the face and it disintigrates.

The film's climax was roughly 7 minutes in. Nothing else tops that.

Turns out that the cancer was a messenger of the past which initiating the start of a demon uprising in Japan 5000 years ago. He takes his nurse girlfriend with him to get the demons in the past, destroying an ancient temple in the progress.

After being in a 70's Doctor Who opening, Ukyo is now in Japan 5000 years ago (in which all flora and fauna, including Ukyo were shades of brown for some reason) where demons riding exploding demon horses are all over the place. Using his trusty hunting rifle (why does he have this now he has superpowers?) he blew up all the demons and stole one of their horses.
One perticular demon pretended to be his Nurse Girlfriend, that one had it's heart ripped out and then proceeded to explode into about 12 cancers which were then quickly dispatched.
Somehow Ukyo finds out where the Demon Main Base is and then makes his way over with his demon horse.

On the way the demon horse exploded from purple imps shooting crossbow darts and it started a chain reaction, which quickly took down the entire demon base (It took about 2 minutes for it to blow up completely) while the Demon Leader (with it's strong British accent) and a few other demons escaped to the present day.

The final battle with the Demon Leader was very anticlimatic with it
going down extremely quickly to Ukyo driving a nearby tanker lorry into it and then exploding.
Afterwards a pseudo sex scene(?) happens with Ukyo and his girlfriend but it now everything was coloured blue for some reason. The film really should have ended here.

It didn't, it had 15 minutes left.

The floating nuns return to tell Ukyo that despite killing the Demon Leader he hasn't killed the Queen of Darkness yet so the curse is still on Japan.

After driving at 2 mph in the film's Mercedes Benz advertising and past the worst water I've ever seen in an anime. We then reach the ruined temple where we find out
His girlfriend is the Queen of Darkness (as if you couldn't see that coming)! After much bickering between the two the final battle starts in flashy pink light land. After reenacting the various flying sequences in Superman IV, the Queen of Darkness then gets impaled in the forehead with a sword. The floating nuns then announce the curse is lifted
and the film ends.

The problem with this is that the animation is awful (Thanks Toei) featuring tons of panning shots and the random colour choices (all brown Japan) and the pacing is all over the place with many sequences making little sense. The dub cast sounded like they didn't care and sounded really bored throughout the whole thing (who could blame them), Ukyo's VA being the most bored of the lot. Apperently there's a second English dub although I'm not sure if that one's any better.

AnimeGAF do not watch this film
You lot will probably watch this film.

duckroll

Inari Konkon Dramaz - Episode 2

PGq2fzk.jpg

This gag keeps getting funnier.

This show is just soooo filled with drama. I guess we're lucky it's not written by Mari Okada. The premise is pretty cute, and I like the characters, but I really wish they tone stuff down a notch and just allow the characters to breath a little. It feels a bit hard to get attached to some of the characters when they can't show up for even 2 minutes before some silly dramatic twist happens. The jokes are pretty funny though! :)

Nafe

Hair does not work that way.

"This program is a work of fiction"
;p

Man there really was a new era in AnimeGAF of everybody jumping in on the HxH 2011 bandwagon. Reminds me of when Yamato 2199 kept getting watched by just about everybody here. Good anime bandwagoning is awesome.

Not me,haha.

I might watch it sometime in the future but I feel I'm already watching enough shows right now and there's others on my list that I've been wanting to watch that will take priority.

I myself was already a big fan of and cheering for Yamato 2199 before all the bandwagoning. It's good that people are watching and enjoying the show though. :)

Awareness is probably a more fundamental problem. Sure, some people might know something exists and they might even know that something is good, but unless they make noise about it other people probably aren't going to notice. The bandwagon becomes a positive effect in this case, and since it also packages awareness together with either assurance or something to become curious about it becomes much more effective.

I think the AnimeGaf community has shown me that if you really want people to watch a show then make a "mega" post about it displaying a bunch of nice looking screenshots...or just say how incredibly awful it is. That seems to work for a lot of people,haha.

I'm actually kind of glad I was only in my school's anime club for one year (my 12th grade year). Full of girls with the obvious anime likes. At least the club leader was cool.

Also, I'm starting to get a sense of being able to identify voice actors by voice. This is not good...

I didn't have any anime clubs at school.

Personally I've been able to identify voice actors/actresses by voice for years now. It's gotten to the point where they can just do kind of "miscellaneous" type noises, like a simple laugh or grunt of pain, and I can often tell who it is.

Sometimes it is kind of funny seeing peoples reactions to characters they didn't know were voiced by the same person. This one is probably more obvious but how many know that Kill la Kill's Ryuuko is voiced by the same person as Spice and Wolf's Holo, the seiyuu Ami Koshimizu? She also does the voice for Yukiko in Persona 4 (amongst many other characters from many other shows).

Samurai Flamenco 14

Wasn't really feeling this episode until the all the other heroes started showing up. Then that end reveal! Can't wait for next week.

1390562690370p1bgd.gif

Kill la Kill 15

I'm going to miss Taka.

Really hope he reappears again.

And why do they have to tease Gama x Mako so hard?

I'm scared something bad might happen to him.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 25

So that's it for Kurapika and Leorio, at least for now. Too bad. I never like the sound of the word "training", so hopefully Heaven's Arena is a little more than that and not just filler until we get to Yorknew.

Oh don't worry. The Heaven's Arena arc is waaaay more than training. It's also where some really good world-building takes place. You'll know when you get there.

Lain

Kill la Kill 15

Boring start but then the episode got better with that all out fight. My main gripe this episode would be that they didn't do something cool with Mako.
Sure, she had the best line in the episode and the best expression in the episode and the best standstill in the episode and the best presence in the episode, but it was sorely lacking of the best crazy explanation through weird animation I expect from her.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 37

SRJaxIC.jpg

The episode in a nutshell.

Are you a bad enough dude to save the Wizard World?

So like... this episode was a confirmation to me that the Accessory Shop was stupid. Really dumb. Well, I think there was another episode that gave me the feeling, but being unable to pay for elephant food, on top of being excited about customers, they apparently get little business as it is. I mean, are they even selling any woven material?

And everyone is dumb. I mean, considering that you're near water, you'd figure out it was the source of the problem. Hell, even when it rained on the FLAT 4, you still went MAGICAL STAGE to try to figure it out.

Also, I wonder how they tried to sell that Accordian? Or maybe it wasn't actually a toy at all?

*sees next episode is an Aiko episode*

Oh... gawd... I'm not sure if I'm ready for this one.

Strike the blood - 15

Damn this show is trully full of "best girls"

Strike%20the%20Blood%20-%2015_01.jpg
Strike%20the%20Blood%20-%2015_02.jpg

This is trully a girl focused on priorities.

Episode was trully good , good moments , some nasty tentacules , and yukina being somewhat cool.

That cliffanger however is totally foul play.
Author better not have done something he'll regret .

survivor

Banned
Next episode explains his reasonings for that. As for the latter, that gets touched on as the show continues.

Oh ok, I thought I missed something important while watching the episode.

Kyousougiga 5.5

So this is what happens when anime studios pander to the kurita crowd. But really this was a pretty good special, didn't know a lot of the settings and even characters were based on things and people that existed.

Dead

well not really...yet
What was the final verdict on Shin Sekai Yori back when it aired? I recently signed up for CRP and it has it. For some reason I remember people being disappointed in it or am I misremembering?

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 28

I hope this Nen thing doesn't boil down to "power levels", as one thing I've enjoyed about the series so far is that fights, at least ones with any time devoted to them, are usually won by strategy instead of who can shout the loudest. I have faith that Togashi won't go in the simplistic direction however.

sonicmj1

What was the final verdict on Shin Sekai Yori back when it aired? I recently signed up for CRP and it has it. For some reason I remember people being disappointed in it or am I misremembering?

There are some slightly rough patches, but overall it's certainly in my top 10 of the year. It has a really strong ending.

I hope this Nen thing doesn't boil down to "power levels", as one thing I've enjoyed about the series so far is that fights, at least ones with any time devoted to them, are usually won by strategy instead of who can shout the loudest. I have faith that Togashi won't go in the simplistic direction however.

There's still the element of strategy if it bothers you that much.

Probably should try to watch the BD version instead of the TV version, as there were a lot of corrections made.

There's still the element of strategy if it bothers you that much.

Good. Either that or excellent animation is what I need out of my shounen battles.

One of the stronger stories in anime and still captivating upon my second rewatch. I thought it was a fantastic series.

There was one episode that had a bit of a questionable change in visual direction early on.

Dresden

You probably saw impressions for one of the rougher episodes. Really good, ambitious, second best that year, etc.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 2-18

good anime great anime

culture festival arc was some of the finest work kyoani has ever done

Surely they can aim higher than that.

At least Arjuna got licensed though.

Well Arjuna is pretty entertaining with its pretentiousness and definitely very memorable. glad it was licensed,

Awww yeah!

=====================================

Worst girl!

ibyaBb3bN87ZR2.jpg

Be interesting to see what's it's like the second time through. Also a Q+A session with Yoshiura. Should be fun times.

Edit: Hmm, might get the Kickstarter canister signed if there's some signing going on.

Now marry that up with the voice actor for Excalibur being the same as Dio Brando from JoJo

Id really like to see the movie myself someday.

Oh man I hope everything is okay, keep me posted. :(

Don't worry this is just a yearly check-up .. i do have something but aside from being tired lately i'll probably be fine.

--------------
ZX IGNITION - 03
i guess i'll keep watching but only to see how confusing this whole mess will become.
Despite having some nice backstory on the loli the anime after 3 episode hasn't explained a thing on the world baclstory for all the stuff going one , aside from the general premise.

Azumi backstory was kinda sad. So her only choice was to be :
-Die a painfull death
-Be a slave to a totalitarian regime

Damn, there is some good moments between her and riegel and the angel was kinda nice in the restaurant .

After 3 episode ZX is a mixed bag ..the premise is not that intresting , but background could be if they worked on it but the characters are mostly fine and you do have the impression that more is in store for later ... for all of those reason i won't drop it and i'll keep watching.

CorvoSol

Casshern Sins 1: Start-o

So let's see what a'buzzin about this show since I see it mentioned all the time.

Pretty much the most carefree anime about nuts of all time. Also doubles as my favorite Mega Man game.

Hope you have a bag of cashews

Fun story: I bought cashew butter the other day and thought of you.

Watchin' project A-Ko and I gotta say, C-Ko removing all of her clothing and putting on her bathing suit without even once revealing any part of her body to the audience is the most impressively modest fan-service tease I think I've ever seen.

Pretty much the most carefree anime about nuts of all time. Also doubles as my favorite Mega Man game.

Fun story: I bought cashew butter the other day and thought of you.

I have like multiple reactions to this, and I'm not sure which one is winning outside of laughter.

Like Yu Yu Hakusho, power levels are secondary to strategy. This is outright stated on more than one occasion in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom