• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Persona 4 TAS 2

So something I really liked about this episode was that it made me rethink the character of Saki Konishi. Going through P4 the one nagging cloud over Yosuke's character was
that he still seemed hung up on Saki when she came off as a total bitch.
Looking at things again, and with the few small changes the animated series has made, I think I may have been wrong.
What we hear inside the Shadow Liquor Store is Saki's inner thoughts, yes, but more specifically they're her shadow's inner thoughts. As in we only see the negative qualities that Saki was running from, that she succumbed to. Unlike the party, Saki doesn't get the chance to face what was wrong with her and overcome it. Her dying moments were likely a confrontation with these thoughts, wherein she herself would have denied hating Yosuke until her shadow consumed her. Looking at it that way, I think she probably did resent Yosuke and didn't return his feelings, but at the same time I think she could have become his friend if she had been able to accept this part of herself.

Granted, and mind you this is MAJOR P4 spoilers so I'm gonna double spoil it
I think that accepting your inner faults need not always be as cathartic and positive as it was for the cast, since Adachi clearly accepted who and what he was, granting him his own, twisted version of the Izanagi Persona.
But I still think that Saki wasn't as horrible a person as I had originally thought, because we only get to see the horrible parts of her, and she has no chance to overcome her weaknesses like the cast does. Yosuke's own shadow is fairly horrible, too, being born from his own resentment of other people resenting him, his apathy toward Inaba and his fear of being alone, and if Yosuke had died then and there, things like his jealousy of Yu would have made him seem a petty, terrible person. But Yosuke survives and grows because of it, and we see that with every other person who survives their encounters with their Shadow and with the Shadow World, including
Adachi, who is undoubtedly more powerful, and one could argue that his transformation made him stronger, albeit in an evil growth of character, rather than a positive one.
So I appreciate rewatching this as it makes me rethink some aspects of the plot.

Also
Mitsuo being such a creeper to Yukiko is always funny.

Narag

Kill La Kill 15

rFkeTYgl.png

Some actual animation this ep. Think the show is back where I wanted to it to be now too as I really enjoyed these last two eps after the preceding mess.
Gamagoori's concern for mako is the best.

I hope it goes places.

• too poor to afford properly fitting clothing
  • secret exhibitionist

pick one

Its clearly the latter. That much was apparent in the first two episodes. Does she still have those anime blushes in her fighting "suit"? Surely even she has gotten over how embarrassing it is.

CorvoSol

Kill la Kill 15

Somebody remind me again: is Ryuko the protagonist of this show? Why do I feel so encouraged to root for Satsuki instead, then?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Its clearly the latter. That much was apparent in the first two episodes. Does she still have those anime blushes in her fighting "suit"? Surely even she has gotten over how embarrassing it is.

They make this a focal point early on.

Her being embarrassed about her outfit lowers her strength because it weakens the bond between her and her uniform. She powers up when she abandons that useless form of pride and embraces the lewdness that she receives from her outfit.

Basically fuck clothes.

Kill la Kill Episode 15 – Don't Stop Me Now

Usually dont comment on the episodes always, but the first fight in this episode was probably the best group fight of sorts all season, with Uzu's part being the best. MKII is just plain epic.

Second half dragged on too long, kept checking the clock wondering why it was still going. Though so explosive and what not made it a blast.

Narag

Don't think she blushes anymore. Transformations are just matter of fact now.

Branduil

So has Kill la Kill improved at all since around episode 3? Because I think that was when I dropped it and you guys aren't making me want to pick it back up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mako > Ryuko > Jakuzure > Mako's Mom > Satsuki's Mom > Satsuki > > > > Nui

Can't stand the latter 2 at all.

And Kill la Kill is awesome. Definitely my favorite Imaishi
t
show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So has Kill la Kill improved at all since around episode 3? Because I think that was when I dropped it and you guys aren't making me want to pick it back up.
Well it peaks at five so it improves from where you left off...but most of it is pretty much what you experienced already if not worse.

CorvoSol

>not rooting for mako.

you're watching this the wrong way.

Mako and Gamagoori are the best couple, I don't deny, but until Mako has her own faction again, she's still part of the Ryuko team. And I'm all about Satsuki's team.

I think it's awesome.

Didn't you stomach all of Attack on Titan? If you did, you should be fine through this. If nothing else the CGI is way better.

Crocodile

Toonami finally got a good anime. I'm disappointed.

X times the charm
Laws of Probability
Swing enough times and eventually you hit
etc.

Honestly the current Toonami lineup isn't that bad when you factor in non-infinite budget, need to have some shows that pull in ratings even if they aren't the absolute best, etc.

I'd rank them

Legit Good

Space Dandy
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell
Soul Eater (the Bones original stuff has been eh so far but all the canon material was GREAT)
One Piece
FLCL

Not actually "Good" but still watchable more often than not

Bleach
Inuyasha
Naruto Classic
Naruto Shippuden

Boring as Fuck (though both shows occasionally have good episodes)

Clone Wars
IGPX

Hellspawn

Sword Art Online

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hyouka is the finest work KyoAni has ever done, with the festival arc being its centerpiece.
My thoughts as I've been watching it have basically been

Start-> eh, this is ok -> few episodes later -> wow it's really pulling me in now -> few more episodes -> how did I ever think this was boring? -> a bunch of episodes later -> I want this kyoani back >_< -> culture festival arc -> flawless

For branduil, the festival arc pretty much cements
mayaka as the best kyoani character ever ;__;

sonicmj1

The outfits haven't changed, but there are a lot fewer fanservicey shots.

Besides that, I don't think the later episodes would make you feel any differently than the first three episodes.

She got over that like LITERALLY the next episode (3) :p

Well now you know how quickly I dropped it :)

X times the charm
Laws of Probability
Swing enough times and eventually you hit
etc.

Honestly the current Toonami lineup isn't that bad when you factor in non-infinite budget, need to have some shows that pull in ratings even if they aren't the absolute best, etc.

I'd rank them

Legit Good

Space Dandy
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell
Soul Eater (the Bones original stuff has been eh so far but all the canon material was GREAT)
One Piece
FLCL

Not actually "Good" but still watchable more often than not

Bleach
Inuyasha
Naruto Classic
Naruto Shippuden

Boring as Fuck (though both shows occasionally have good episodes)

Clone Wars
IGPX

Hellspawn

Sword Art Online

Naruto classic was so good. I didn't like Soul Eater or OP. Bleach had a great start and then declined rapidly.

Mature

Detective Conan 288:
And now the conclusion, complete with English speaking Akai. Ran really went through a lot of tough times on this trip, but at least her memories of it were eventually restored, and she can remember when she first met Akai. The end of the case in particular had a lot of good foreshadowing for future events and revelations. Yukiko also continued her trend of being awesome; she really doesn't show up enough in the series.
I feel like she's in the story more than Yusaku at least! Would love to see more Yusaku and, by extension, more Night Baron plots.
ICE 2

rODampd.gif

THIS IS YOUR FUTURE SD BURTON. THIS IS THE WORLD YOUR MADNESS LEADS US TO.
The best.
Toonami finally got a good anime. I'm disappointed.
Yeah, now people can have the brilliant series Black Lagoon in place of low quality shit like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Ghost in the Shell.

Strike the Blood Episode 15

It as if Strike the Blood and Magical Warfare are trying to race each other to see who can be the most average LN of the week. Fortunately this episode of Strike the Blood was actually powerful and intense though it was the end of the Blue Witch arc so maybe that had something to do with it.

That ending to the episode though, the stab, mind blown.

CorvoSol

Well the only Imaishi show I've ever liked is Gurren Lagann and it was just that, liked, rather than loved. Couldn't stand Panty and Stocking or his immature humor in general.

In fairness, I think that Gurren Lagann and P&SwG are very different and that P&S is hands down his weakest work. It captured the Powerpuff girls feel, but by the end I was feeling "crude humor" fatigue, I admit. Gurren Lagann I love and love and love, but it's also practically designed to cater specifically to what I like. I would still say that Gurren Lagann is better than KLK, but again, TTGL is a mecha show and that's my cup of tea.

I've embraced KLK's rampant fanservice because every once in awhile its pretense of thematic importance comes together with the promise of something bigger in the future. I'm mostly in it for the fights, and I suppose one or two haven't been that great, but, barring Cindy, I think that Satsuki's team is genuinely entertaining and tends to bring about the best throwdowns.

Being completely honest I think KLK is struggling somewhat to find the perfect balance between its comedy and its drama. I liked episode 14 a lot, but one of the things I felt the show was doing bad was just playing the first ten seconds of Ryuko's theme and then stopping repeatedly. It felt sort of unwieldy.

Still, the show holds far, far more promise to my eyes than Attack on Titan, and I say that as someone who was very, very taken with Attack on Titan originally. Largely because while I acknowledge that KLK is faltering in a few places, it has yet to fall so far and hard that it needs a clip episode just so that the staff can catch up to themselves.

The rest though, I think, is definitely a matter of tastes, and I begrudge no one for dropping KLK because they find the fanservice too much, not to their liking, or any other permutation thereof, because that's a fair reason to drop the show, I think. Lord knows I've dropped shows for less.

Yamato 2199 1-4

Pretty cool so far, great animation and the music fits so well. Loling that
they state they are on a strict schedule so they can't go to Saturn's moon OR attack Pluto... then the next episode preview shows that they do both.

Also it's pretty funny that the dudes just get normal clothes while all the girls have to wear skin-tight latex suits. Progress!

Yamato 2199 1-4

Pretty cool so far, great animation and the music fits so well. Loling that
they state they are on a strict schedule so they can't go to Saturn's moon OR attack Pluto... then the next episode preview shows that they do both.

Also it's pretty funny that the dudes just get normal clothes while all the girls have to wear skin-tight latex suits. Progress!
Mankind almost 200 years from now will still know the wonders of hometown.

CorvoSol

The best.

ICE 2 BEST MOMENTS

"I kissed you because sex is still an important part of friendship to me!"
"Fine, whatever. Don't do it again."
"Can I kiss you again?"
"DA FUCK DID I JUST SAY?"

"HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT MY NAKED BODY!! I'M A JELLYFISH!! JELLY FISHING JELLY FISHING JELLY FISHING!"

"I have a robotic hand and a robotic leg, judging from these three comically orgasmic meidos on the floor, would you like to know what other parts of my body are cybernetic?"

"Even though you used to be my friend and are right now telling me that the person who leads the lesbian death cult and is my sworn enemy is trying to betray me, I'm going to shoot you!"

YANDERE LESBIANS EVERYWHERE.

"I am witnessing this post-SDBurtocalpytic future but instead of freaking out at the fact that I'm seeing how women are hypocrites who blame men for all their problems that they themselves are causing and are on the verge of destroying the world, let me comment on your love life! You know, 'cuz shipping!"

"Did I mention that the Sperm of Christ is actually nanomachines? No I don't know how this causes cryogenic states or turns people into giant spider monsters, but it also lets you have baby boys!"

cnet128

Banned
the purest love.

Actually, does anyone have a link to that post earlier in the thread with all the MakoxGamagoori fanart? Because that shit was amazing and I was trying to find it again, but couldn't remember when exactly it was or who posted it, and trawling through hundreds of pages sounds painful >.>

Golden Time 15

Banri and Kouko in the rain was amazing.

Chinami's attitude towards Mitsuo was also amazing due to the implications.

Then that episode ending was... o.o ohshiiiiiiiit

Dammit Ghost Banri you don't get to act like a half-decent person now, I'm too committed to hating your guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom