• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Yamato 2199 1-4

Pretty cool so far, great animation and the music fits so well. Loling that
they state they are on a strict schedule so they can't go to Saturn's moon OR attack Pluto... then the next episode preview shows that they do both.

Also it's pretty funny that the dudes just get normal clothes while all the girls have to wear skin-tight latex suits. Progress!

The fanservice in Yamato feels pretty bizarre. I think it actually makes it more weird that everyone just accepts the difference in uniforms without comment or even noticing. I'm not saying I want the characters ogle the women or get nosebleeds or whatever dumb stuff happens in fanservice shows, but the way it's done certainly calls attention to the fact that it's there solely for the viewer's benefit, like we're creepy voyeurs who need x-ray goggles to be enticed to watch a good show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I saw some Log Horizon scans that flesh out the world a lot better including a list and description of all classes and a list of the regular subclasses and roleplaying subclasses.

Also Marielle in the official artwork looks down right fierce.

Pc2I2C9.png

I like how they point out that Marielle's are one of her best points, like 50% of female characters wouldn't have maxed out boobs.

Linkark07

Banned
Strike the Blood Episode 15

It as if Strike the Blood and Magical Warfare are trying to race each other to see who can be the most average LN of the week. Fortunately this episode of Strike the Blood was actually powerful and intense though it was the end of the Blue Witch arc so maybe that had something to do with it.

That ending to the episode though, the stab, mind blown.

Yeah, this episode was quite interesting, especially
the ending.

So, Natsuki-chan and Yuuma die? Please no, I wanted Yuuma to join Koujou's harem

Oh, and La Folia saying that Koujou couldn't produce her heir if he stayed in Yuuma's body. Shame she is leaving the island.

Mature

Reading more SoreMachi is making me increasingly bitter towards whatever entity is most responsible for their not being anything beyond one season. Will I never get to see animated Hotori and Toshiko
playing Resident Evil? =(

Mr.Jeff

ibyaBb3bN87ZR2.jpg

Be interesting to see what's it's like the second time through. Also a Q+A session with Yoshiura. Should be fun times.

Edit: Hmm, might get the Kickstarter canister signed if there's some signing going on.

The only time I didn't like the Soul Eater anime was when Excalibur was on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vFP9ZgSI8

HELL NO.
Now marry that up with the voice actor for Excalibur being the same as Dio Brando from JoJo

Yea I've heard that there's some really out-of-place fanservice in Yamato. I still think my favorite completely out-of-place fanservice moment is the most ridiculous camera-angle ass shot in the second episode of GITS when the Major is getting out of a Tachikoma. So awful that I had to rewind to comprehend what had just happened.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 25

So that's it for Kurapika and Leorio, at least for now. Too bad. I never like the sound of the word "training", so hopefully Heaven's Arena is a little more than that and not just filler until we get to Yorknew.

Dresden

Reading more SoreMachi is making me increasingly bitter towards whatever entity is most responsible for their not being anything beyond one season. Will I never get to see animated Hotori and Toshiko
playing Resident Evil? =(

I would settle for regular translations of the manga. :(

Ishiguro is amazing.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 25

So that's it for Kurapika and Leorio, at least for now. Too bad. I never like the sound of the word "training", so hopefully Heaven's Arena is a little more than that and not just filler until we get to Yorknew.

WHy would one think its filler?

Heavens Arena, I thought had really some of the flashiest moments yet in the anime and one of the most tensest and suspenseful moments, not to mention finally introducing the best song on the ost and its remixed version used as well. Personally my favorite arc.

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 4 (EngDub)
tumblr_mzxknzd1Xh1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mzxklnUrzF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Fantastic episode at teaching the rules of the game in an easy to follow format with Kuguru vs the Manager and comments from Gaou. I enjoyed it and seeing the Danger World to add to the variety of worlds in Buddyfight. I probably would try that deck but use different cards as most designs were not that great. I didnt ever realize how wide and extensive the items were, that really sets it apart from Cardfight!! Vanguard and makes it feel like it can certainly be really complex (not to mention that rule of only have a total of three on the field).

Cameos from Cardfight!! Vanguard Link Joker though...So glad Bushiroad gave us this...

e_i

Strike the Blood episode 15

Well all well and ends wel---SON OF A BITCH!

Wake Up, Girls episode 3

Scalding water weather reports? WTF Japan? Also, I'm glad they got that freaking trope out of the way.

Golden Time Episode 15

Damn you ghost Banri. You suck.

No-RIN episode 3

Why the fuck am I still watching this?

Nagi no Asakura episode 16

Look, it's naked lad!

Engaged to the Unidentified episode 3

Benio being Benio. Mashiro being Mashiro. Also, the secret's out...and it's freaking stupid.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 36

This reminded me of the episode of where this one girl hated animals because she got one killed. And then Hazuki nearly commited suicide by breaking a magical law to heal it... but this was much less severe since it was just a girl getting hit by a motorcycle, and no law breaking magic happened to fix shit either. Also there was shipping material.

I'm not exactly sure why they got Seki sensei to ride her motorcycle though, right in front of the girl even, as she was climbing up the hill on a bike, which she used to fear. Actually, I do, I just think that was really extreme....

Oh right, Hana learned how to ride a bike.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD

Why do you want to kill me :(
no reason.

Actually i made too many gis because i was excited.
I can post my tentatives 2 & 3 if you want :)

Golden Time 15

Banri and Kouko in the rain was amazing.

Chinami's attitude towards Mitsuo was also amazing due to the implications.

Then that episode ending was... o.o ohshiiiiiiiit

Dammit Ghost Banri you don't get to act like a half-decent person now, I'm too committed to hating your guts.
*nods to spoiler*
Way to late to scream "this isn't what i wanted" when you messed things up to the point of no return.

Damn that episode ending
Worst girl!
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

She is the most guilable girl and she is miles ahead origami.

Oh no, halp.

We're both gonna end anemic at this rate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sakura Trick 03

Good lord the best new anime of the season continues to be just that. This episode was off the charts on the :SDBurton level. The love is so pure and the garden is so strong. Have to say its crazy
how the older sister is totally okay with her younger sister being in a relationship with another girl and being okay with it with the way she found out
. It's so non nonchalantly progressive, its just bizarre. And pretty awesome. That shit happens in any other yuri anime and bombs are flying all over the place.

And man they are really going all out on teasing that
third pair
for the show. I hope it happens next episode.

Nafe

I think the difference between Nono and Lal'c's development in this sense is the lessons they needed to learn. Nono needed to learn that she herself was powerful, and that she herself was worth something. Lal'c, on the other hand, needed to learn to rely on others rather than herself, since the whole show Lal'c had known that she was badass on her own. Moreover I think that the Gunbuster machines count as extensions of the protagonists, rather than external might. Nono's fleet is her buster machine extension, and Dix Neuf is Lal'c's, but both are ultimately just representations of the girls themselves.

Yeah, there's definitely some pretty strong parallels between the casts of Gunbuster and Diebuster. Nono is a lot like Noriko and Lal'C is similar to Kazumi. Tycho would be Jung and there's even the challenge to a duel during operations.

Good review! I'm glad you liked it, I've come to enjoy seeing how other people perceive and link these two shows.

Yeah, I didn't go into some details that people seemed divided on such as the art for one. Watching Diebuster closely after Gunbuster I could see it being a bit jarring for some. Even if the CG doesn't look as good as the hand drawn and makes it seem more dated in ways, I still like the style and art of Diebuster myself. The animation during the fights and all the explosions and everything looks great as well.

This is one of the things that stood out the most to me while I was watching it and one of the things that brought my opinion of the show down, probably due to watching Gunbuster right before Diebuster. The use of time in Gunbuster was one of my favorite factors and thought it worked really well, I was looking forward to see how they would have improved on that many years later but was left feeling a little disappointed by the lack of it.

Yeah, after watching Gunbuster I wondered what things would be like from the perspective of Earth. Due to the large time advancement things didn't seem as advanced as I would think they would be.

There were some things that are limited due to time, and I suppose ultimately don't matter perhaps, but I would have liked to have seen or heard more of the history of the new Gunbusters and such. The other crew members as well. During the battle of episode/OVA 4 I felt worried for them on one hand but on the other, the way all the characters are just introduced to you very quickly, it also had a "who was that again?" type response to it for me.

Despite some flaws or shortcomings it may have though I ultimately still like the show overall. :)

-I haven't seen the show yet but nice avatar as well right now with monocle Lum, haha.

Sakura Trick 03

Good lord the best new anime of the season continues to be just that. This episode was off the charts on the :SDBurton level. The love is so pure and the garden is so strong. Have to say its crazy
how the older sister is totally okay with her younger sister being in a relationship with another girl and being okay with it with the way she found out
. It's so non nonchalantly progressive, its just bizarre. And pretty awesome. That shit happens in any other yuri anime and bombs are flying all over the place.

And man they are really going all out on teasing that
third pair
for the show. I hope it happens next episode.

What ?

The older sister is NOT OK with it ... she think this is weird she is ( atm ) trying to convince herself that this isn't it , like self suggestion ... she is not ok with it

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Burton please.

Everyone knows that Origami holds that title.

Oh no you didn't!

no reason.

Actually i made too many gis because i was excited.
I can post my tentatives 2 & 3 if you want :)

*nods to spoiler*
Way to late to scream "this isn't what i wanted" when you messed things up to the point of no return.

Damn that episode ending

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

She is the most guilable girl and she is miles ahead origami.

Not even!

We're both gonna end anemic at this rate.

I'll be sure to stock up on some raw liver for the both of us, we'll live long enough to see the final episode!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What ?

The older sister is NOT OK with it ... she think this is weird she is ( atm ) trying to convince herself that this isn't it , like self suggestion ... she is not ok with it

She does NOTHING about it. She doesn't tell her sister to stop. She doesn't tell the other girl to stop. She doesn't use any of her authority as the president of the student council to get them to stop. She catches them directly in the act and blushes. She thinks about them kissing again and starts blushing. She gets her hands on the paper saying they love each other and does nothing.

If she was really bothered by it she did nothing for an entire episode to display it.

Not actually "Good" but still watchable more often than not[/B]
Bleach
Inuyasha
Naruto Classic
Naruto Shippuden

Inuyasha is legitimately good. I can't really find too much issue with the rest of that list, though (although I wouldn't really consider Bleach to be particularly watchable).

I feel like she's in the story more than Yusaku at least! Would love to see more Yusaku and, by extension, more Night Baron plots.

Yeah, Yusaku doesn't show up too much largely because he can just completely outclass Conan, and so they have to come up with reasons to keep him off the table. Yusaku's appearances are pretty much always enjoyable, too. But he can't show up too often because he'd just solve all the problems in the series, so he needs to always be on the run from his publishers or out of contact.

survivor

Banned
Kyousougiga 5

I feel a little lost by this episode. I don't know why
Myoue wants to die when he finds his mom, what's the relevance of the flashback with the DNA and that other scene with Koto eating the fruit

Mature

Yeah, Yusaku doesn't show up too much largely because he can just completely outclass Conan, and so they have to come up with reasons to keep him off the table. Yusaku's appearances are pretty much always enjoyable, too. But he can't show up too often because he'd just solve all the problems in the series, so he needs to always be on the run from his publishers or out of contact.
Or have Conan continue being obstinate about receiving help from his parents. He has such a funny complex with them. I think Yusaku enters into that realm of indomitable entity, so yeah, they can't have him be the panacea to every solution, haha. Reminds me of like... Sejiro in Rurouni Kenshin or something.

Soma

Kyousougiga 5

I feel a little lost by this episode. I don't know why
Myoue wants to die when he finds his mom, what's the relevance of the flashback with the DNA and that other scene with Koto eating the fruit
Next episode explains his reasonings for that. As for the latter, that gets touched on as the show continues.

Oh no you didn't!
Yes he did
Not even!
Yes , this is the cold hard truth.
I'll be sure to stock up on some raw liver for the both of us, we'll live long enough to see the final episode!
Actually ( this is true ) i'm going to do a body check-up on monday and another the week afterwards ..you can't be too carefull.

She does NOTHING about it. She doesn't tell her sister to stop. She doesn't tell the other girl to stop. She doesn't use any of her authority as the president of the student council to get them to stop. She catches them directly in the act and blushes. She thinks about them kissing again and starts blushing. She gets her hands on the paper saying they love each other and does nothing.

If she was really bothered by it she did nothing for an entire episode to display it.

As i said ,
she does nothing because she freezes and she unfreeze by convincing herself that this can't be it . She is not "ok" with it , otherwise she wouldn't peek on the girls cleaning the pool. She is bothered but can't act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom