• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 15

One of the better episodes in a while. Was it dimb who was saying that it's hard to get invested in the fights because it's either insignificant joke characters or sparring with no permanent effect on either character? He was spot on.
I was all excited when Ryuko actually got the advantage of Satsuki, because it meant that she was actually brought down for once, but she immediately recovered and sailed away. :|

Despite that and the
disappointing Nudist Beach reveal
, this was a pretty good episode. Mako/Gamagoori remains OTP of the year and it was nice to see some actual dynamic fight choreography.

I miss tracksuit Ryuko already

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 41

Coming off the last episode, for an Apprentice exam episode... this might be one of the best ones. I mean, for right now, purely based on Season 1's exams, but there's a shot this is up there too. It's a continuation of what was asked in the last episode, on top of "realizing" a truth about your actions.

"What do you want to do when you become a witch?" The question of the century. I'm also seeing how this is considered :firehawk as fuck. The next episode seems to be a continuation of that trend, and god damn, it is something I've wanted to see from Hazuki.

Oh right, this was also a Pop episode.

Speaking of which, part of the episode reminds me of when... lets say... a game developer says something that makes sense, but due to his dubious past comments or actions, it is disregarded because of it. But when someone else says the same thing, but has a more credible background, it's like "fuck yeah Seaking". In this case, it was Erika (Reika's cousin... or sister, I forgot) for wanting flowers, and then Pop saying it's sugoi as fuck, and suddenly everyone wanted to do flowers.

At least we won't be left on a bad note for Erika.

Tenchi GXP 18 Dub

What the fuck did I just watch? This episode was all over the place, Shanks is a jobbing cyborg now, Siryo is the villain searching for good luck charms and in a bunch of random scenes with kids while Seina and harem are having a beach episode

WHAT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh

What the hell happened? How can you possibly fuck up a harem beach episode?

CorvoSol

CorvoSol: Five eyeball licks out of five, I presume.

I do not know any words in any tongue which can lick the eyeballs I have seen here today, Hito.

I just.

The fuck was the message of this? Why was there a message?

I want to swear so much, but it'll just be impotent rage against an impossible puzzle.

Branduil

I do not know any words in any tongue which can lick the eyeballs I have seen here today, Hito.

I just.

The fuck was the message of this? Why was there a message?

I want to swear so much, but it'll just be impotent rage against an impossible puzzle.

ibztsbfq9Eaeqt.png

cnet128

Banned
Nourin 3

No reference-fest would be complete without a little JoJo, and this show has its bases well covered.
i38drB6bTVzbc.png

Within the space of less than a minute and a half, we go from Part 1…
iLAADBV4tJilo.png

…all the way to Part 7. David Pro, eat your heart out!

As for the actual content of the episode, Minori puts up a good fight with her buruma offensive, but she just can't match up to Ringo's gorgeous body, which looks amazing in everything from bikini armour to a simple tracksuit to the venerable sukumizu. Ringo also continues to be completely unfazed by anything ever, up to and including a swarm of cockroaches that would make grown men weep. Bravo, Ringo. Bravo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 15

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

But seriously,
Yuuma and Natsuki will be fine. They're in the OP!

Anohana: Flower blah blah blah

It was corny as hell, but still had some charm to it. And it was nice to get some free goodies which I'll post later
maybe

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 42

I expected to go FUCK YEAH HAZUKI, but after seeing this episode, I feel strangely... confused. Like...

I'm not sure what to think anymore. I mean shit... Doremi is like... initially portrayed as the "savior" in a sense, but then she equated herself to Hazuki's mother, and that left Masaru as her light, to tell her to do what she really wants to do.

My feelings, though, are at odds with each other on this.

CorvoSol

CorvoSol: All I know is that after I finished ICE for the first time I felt incredibly trolled.

I honestly believe that SDBurton and SDBurton alone could watch ICE and come out unscathed. "Most Incomprehensible" is a very, very fair description of this anime. I really, really don't know what the Hell happened in that ending.

Its not easy being green

You'll be green if you watch this.

And Eiken was only 2...

I almost feel like Eiken is still the better of the two. I mean Eiken's massive tits are obviously meant as a parody. ICE I don't know WHAT is going on.

Syrinx

I wonder if fucking Media Blasters will ever fucking get around to fucking releasing fucking Yami.

Corvo's thoughts on that will be classic.

CorvoSol

I wonder if fucking Media Blasters will ever fucking get around to fucking releasing fucking Yami.

Corvo's thoughts on that will be classic.

The List says I am supposed to watch something called "Kenya Boy" now. I've been told to raise my expectations for this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Spoony Bard 3
Y9yrZr3l.jpg

Oh you, Hachiken.
I think I'm ready for the dorama to start now, because the constant learning moment thing is getting a bit tired. Heck, I'd be happy if he could just enjoy a day of farming without someone trying to teach him some important lesson about life.

Norin 3
3NbTs9cl.jpg

And yeah, this really turned out to a BakaTest version of Silver Spoon. Not knowing anything about the staff or whatever, all I can say is that it seems suspicious that a lot of the joke pacing and delivery feels like it's straight out of BakaTest, especially the chibi-moments.

Tenchi GXP 20

Another out of it's mind episode jumping between two hard to follow random plotlines. This show is now leaking water really damn fast

Norin 3

And yeah, this really turned out to a BakaTest version of Silver Spoon. Not knowing anything about the staff or whatever, all I can say is that it seems suspicious that a lot of the joke pacing and delivery feels like it's straight out of BakaTest, especially the chibi-moments.

Same director, Shin Oonuma.

Branduil

The Eccentric Family 6

iJeDEvC87A9b8.jpg

Holy literal metaphors, Batman.

I feel like this show is some kind of weird apologetic for cannibalism sometimes.
Pretty obvious Benten resents being kidnapped by the old Tengu dude. Her sadness seems to be tied into the whole "Shikata ga nai" theme the show has going on.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 43

Oh right, those rose thorns.

And Reika depression. Coming off the last 3 episodes, this one definitely feels more... standard, to say the least.

Hana failed her level 1 exam though
, but in any case, shit's getting real again, so time to put the kaboost onto making that final item.

Bushi Road

4jTc59N.png

Here we have a movie with a lot of potential ruined by its ambition. Its ambition to fit what should've been a full 12 episodes into what amounts to 4 episodes time-wise. And it failed.

Animation: Definitely the best part. It was pretty swell, even if there weren't enough battles to show it off.

Design and Style: Character designs were pretty good for the important characters, everybody else looked pretty generic. The girl sidekicks looked straight out of Gargantia for me for some reason. The color scheme was pretty amazing too.

Story: Honestly pretty generic story. All powerful enemy must be defeated by all powerful deus ex machina. There I just told you the whole plot. The only other thing driving this would be characters but...

Characters:
Outside of the two leads everybody else was EXTREMELY underdeveloped. Like holy shit. We are first introduced to a group of girls that accompany the princess. Hey maybe they'll have a role in the film. NOPE they're there for the sake of being there and barely have like 10 minutes of screen time all together if at all.

Then we have the guys of that military city, Chrome Shellios or some other generic sci fi name I don't know. They too had potential but basically amounted to "We are a roadblock to you". Then the two characters who could've had a bigger role didn't do much besides be there. They were there in the movie and it is criminally obvious they had no oomph to them. You were supposed to like them because their designs stand out? Fuck that, let me care for characters by myself not because their design is cool.

The two leads? Oh the two leads were fine. They would have been much better in an anime show. Because they literally meet and go through all this character development that just feels awkward. How come other movies are able to do it fine yet this one does it so awkwardly? Like let's take Sword of the Stranger for example. That movie had 4 maybe 5 characters that stood out and all had their motives. The two leads grew but not awkwardly. That was it. And it was done just fine. You can't expect to pack this film with a giant cast without sacrificing development at every turn and it felt just awkward.

Enjoyment: I give this movie a What The Fuck was with that Ending/10.

Such potential. Such a shame. I wanted to wash the depression Casshews Sins left in my mouth. I definitely washed that taste all right. With a big steaming pile of shit.

Mononoke

Banned
So I finished Attack on Titan today, and read all the manga (as far as is available to me). Jesus. It only furthered my fears that I would have such split feelings on it. I've seen people be pretty negative on the show, and now I'm starting to understand why. I still really love the characters (well most of them), but I can see why people have an issue with this series.

I guess at this point I'll just stick with it. But yeah, my feelings on it have definitely been jerked around (especially after reading the manga). I can't entirely explain how I feel, except tired. The series kind of just wears me out with its story telling, and plot progression.

Off to watch the Eccentric Family next.

cnet128

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! 3

Now this is more like it! I knew Tange would be able to set the group back on the right track the moment she returned, and she did so flawlessly. Best producer.

The girls seem totally in their element up there on TV, and as a focus episode for Minami, this episode did a wonderful job of showing off her charm and securing her position as a strong Best Idol candidate. She really does shine like the sun! My only slight worry is...after putting the two strongest Best Idol candidates in the spotlight right out of the gate (Miyu last episode and Minami this episode), is the show front-loading itself a bit too heavily? Presumably we're going to have focus episodes for each of the other girls going forward, and none of them have nearly as much sheer charm as those two.

Ah well, the title of the next episode is "Scandal", so regardless of which girl gets focus next I'm sure we're going to have some fun drama to enjoy. And to be fair, though I say none of the girls can match Miyu and Minami, we actually haven't had a focus episode yet for the girl who caught my attention the most in the introductory movie, which was Airi. She may not be such a prominent force of charm and personality, but she feels the most human and relatable of all the girls, and a good episode showcasing her could be a real winner. So there's that to look forward to.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 44

Well this just introduced something interesting, but first. Looks like shit's going down with black jizz becoming more widespread.

Anywho, the interesting thing was that
The last Grandchild actually had a family, and he was the only one who apparently inherited magic. Which was probably the real reason why everyone left.

And every 50 years, a person in the family will have strange magic abilities. Really thinking back to Naisho 13.

So I finished Attack on Titan today, and read all the manga (as far as is available to me). Jesus. It only furthered my fears that I would have such split feelings on it. I've seen people be pretty negative on the show, and now I'm starting to understand why. I still really love the characters (well most of them), but I can see why people have an issue with this series.

I guess at this point I'll just stick with it. But yeah, my feelings on it have definitely been jerked around (especially after reading the manga). I can't entirely explain how I feel, except tired. The series kind of just wears me out with its story telling, and plot progression.

Off to watch the Eccentric Family next.

The biggest issue is that unlike other shonen action series which have arcs, this one doesn't have much of that. It has different scenarios but since the show started they've had two missions which they have yet to accomplish. So it's the slow pacing of a shonen with much less action and just as much talking, and not many interesting things going on outside of giant things eating you.

If it wasn't for the characters or the setting, people would've lost interest years ago. Oh well at least the first episode of the abridged series was AMAZING.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 92-113

Well. That was fun.
Gon probably won't attack Neferpitou while he's healing Kogumi, but that match up would be fun. Although the questions now is... how is Meleoron holding his breathe for so long? It has to have been more than the minute he predicted.

Phi Brain (S3) 66

I liked this puzzle enough, kind of more than I did Rook's and Freecell's. That said, I saw that ending coming
(though if I were to be honest, I thought Jin somehow switched with Count Pythagoras. The Orpheus reveal was different).

Kill la Kill 15

Ira x Mako OTP. Aside from that, Ryuko actually held her own in the fight, which was fun. Exposition incoming next ep. (Kill la Kill is only 2 cours right)?

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 92-113

Well. That was fun.
Gon probably won't attack Neferpitou while he's healing Kogumi, but that match up would be fun. Although the questions now is... how is Meleoron holding his breathe for so long? It has to have been more than the minute he predicted.

Because it's actually less than one minute happening all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom