• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magical Warfare 3

Wellp, I'm dropping this. Best girl is very obviously going to lose, so no reason to keep watching.

By best girl do you mean blondie? Because if so

ViEz2gn.jpg

sonicmj1

Let's be honest, that's really just semantics in this case though. Yasaburo and the other Tanuki are just as sapient as any human being.

To be fair, everyone (except Benten, who's not a role model) only know tanuki as those raccoon-like animals. And the tanuki seem sort of content with their spot on the food chain.

I'm not saying it's not weird. It is weird, and it's meant to strike us as weird. But it's also a part of presenting the kind of live-in-the-moment philosophy of their father and their family. Sometimes you wind up in a stew. No sense getting upset about it.

cnet128

Banned
Let's be honest, that's really just semantics in this case though. Yasaburo and the other Tanuki are just as sapient as any human being.

You can call it semantics, but it's an important distinction. For all that tanuki can act like humans when they choose to do so, they clearly see themselves as a separate species with quite different values. It's also an important factor that most humans don't know that tanuki are as intelligent as they are, and this seems to be generally accepted by all as the natural way of things, even when it comes to matters of life and death.

It's an unusual perspective which can feel quite surreal and alien at times, but I think that's what makes it so effective. That strange balance between seeming human in many ways while also having ideas that are fundamentally different from ours is what makes the tanuki come to life as the supernatural trickster race they're supposed to be.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama - 30-71

Didn't want to make impressions for every single episode because it would be obnoxious as all hell but god damn, this show. I was a bit skeptical about a comedy show going into serious arcs but Gintama does it all so well. The compressed arcs keeps it from dragging on needlessly and the breaks in between with slice of life episodes keeps things balanced.

Also, Katsura is always on stand by. I have not forgotten.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama - 30-71

Didn't want to make impressions for every single episode because it would be obnoxious as all hell but god damn, this show. I was a bit skeptical about a comedy show going into serious arcs but Gintama does it all so well. The compressed arcs keeps it from dragging on needlessly and the breaks in between with slice of life episodes keeps things balanced.

Also, Katsura is always on stand by. I have not forgotten.

Now you can go back and watch the first Gintama movie! It's the same arc, but with better animation and so forth.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sakura Trick 3

Is it just me, or do the "close-up of breasts" shots feel out of place in this show? 'Cause this totally doesn't feel like "that" kind of show, and the shots are infrequent enough to feel jarring when they do happen. It's like if Hidamari would just have random close-ups of Miyako's breasts or something. It's weird.

Other than that, another entertaining episode.

Sakura Trick 3

Is it just me, or do the "close-up of breasts" shots feel out of place in this show? 'Cause this totally doesn't feel like "that" kind of show, and the shots are infrequent enough to feel jarring when they do happen. It's like if Hidamari would just have random close-ups of Miyako's breasts or something. It's weird.

Other than that, another entertaining episode.
The difference between yuri under and overtones.

Kokoro Connect 1-17 END

This series was much better than I expected it to be. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It looks like they only adapted 4/11 of the light novels. I really hope they do the rest. I like how the ending shows the two new characters Chihiro and Shino. Inaba was definitely my favorite in the show though.

cnet128

Banned
Kokoro Connect 1-17 END

This series was much better than I expected it to be. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It looks like they only adapted 4/11 of the light novels. I really hope they do the rest. I like how the ending shows the two new characters Chihiro and Shino. Inaba was definitely my favorite in the show though.

Sadly, the huge scandals surrounding the production of this anime make this a very unlikely prospect. One of the great tragedies of our time.

Kokoro Connect 1-17 END

Yeah much better than I expected. Because best girl won. OH LAWDIE OH LAWDIE!

OaaGV3T.gif

I said she won! She won my lord! She won!

Silver Spoon 10

I never thought the death of a pig would make me tear up. Pork Bowl ;( Aikawa and the anime staff did a great job at expressing the difficult emotions that arise when you really think about the process of raising animals to be eaten. Animals are living, feeling, thinking creatures who you can become attached to, and I can understand the feelings of those who become vegetarians because of this, but the meat they provide is good nourishment - and is tasty too. The circle of life spins on...

The use of light and shadow in this episode was above average, and added to the reflective mood.

Silver Spoon 11

This episode was a good capstone for this first season, summing up Hachiken's experiences and character growth. His mailing the bacon to his parents is perhaps the single greatest indicator of that - he is beginning to make his own life for himself instead of trying to shoulder his father's expectations.

Looking forward to starting the second season!

Branduil

To be fair, everyone (except Benten, who's not a role model) only know tanuki as those raccoon-like animals. And the tanuki seem sort of content with their spot on the food chain.

I'm not saying it's not weird. It is weird, and it's meant to strike us as weird. But it's also a part of presenting the kind of live-in-the-moment philosophy of their father and their family. Sometimes you wind up in a stew. No sense getting upset about it.

You can call it semantics, but it's an important distinction. For all that tanuki can act like humans when they choose to do so, they clearly see themselves as a separate species with quite different values. It's also an important factor that most humans don't know that tanuki are as intelligent as they are, and this seems to be generally accepted by all as the natural way of things, even when it comes to matters of life and death.

It's an unusual perspective which can feel quite surreal and alien at times, but I think that's what makes it so effective. That strange balance between seeming human in many ways while also having ideas that are fundamentally different from ours is what makes the tanuki come to life as the supernatural trickster race they're supposed to be.

You're not wrong, but it's still hard to accept as a human being, since we're meant to identify and sympathize with the tanuki.

Lain

I've been trying to remember the name of the anime where guys/girls fight with their butts to push each other down into the water, while the people watching bet on them, but I just can't remember it.
Anyone that remembers it? I only watched one episode some time ago and suddenly wanted to see how that turned out.

Actually scratch that, it was some manga and I dunno why I thought it was an anime lol. Embarrassing.

You're not wrong, but it's still hard to accept as a human being, since we're meant to identify and sympathize with the tanuki.

I don't know if we're actually meant to identify with the tanuki. They're presented as a race which, while imitating humans in some respects, is still distinctly different with a mindset that humans can't fully grasp.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 45

Shit is flying all around, and we find out the truth about her grandchildren. Nature is a bitch. Nature was the real main antagonist for the show. Fuck you Mother Nature.

Welp... the plot was for the most part, wrapped up. Well not yet, 46 is going to be the true wrap up... which is... problematic....

I mean... after this, there's 6 episodes left...........

._.
._.
._.
._.

Branduil

I don't know if we're actually meant to identify with the tanuki. They're presented as a race which, while imitating humans in some respects, is still distinctly different with a mindset that humans can't fully grasp.

A show about utterly incomprehensible aliens wouldn't be very interesting, though. It wouldn't create such a feeling of dissonance if the tanuki didn't feel human up to a certain point.

duckroll

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Episode 3

Roflmao. Some of the jokes really killed me this week, but not as much as how painful it is listening to Japanese actors try to speak Mandarin. Pretty neat of the show to acknowledge the deep cultural and historical connection between Chinese and Japanese afterlife mythology too.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 46

GOD DAMN IT! TOEI! YOU RUINED MY IMMERSION!

Oh and everything was wrapped up... okay, except one thing, which is something I guessed earlier due to how 40 and 41 went down. Shit.

....and the worst part... is either being close to finishing this show... or the fact that we have 5 episodes left means there will some punch.... to put it lightly...

Mononoke

Banned
The biggest issue is that unlike other shonen action series which have arcs, this one doesn't have much of that. It has different scenarios but since the show started they've had two missions which they have yet to accomplish. So it's the slow pacing of a shonen with much less action and just as much talking, and not many interesting things going on outside of giant things eating you.

If it wasn't for the characters or the setting, people would've lost interest years ago. Oh well at least the first episode of the abridged series was AMAZING.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I had to look up what Shonen is, because I'm totally new to Manga/Anime. So I guess I understand a bit more where this show's story is coming from (the style, the demographics). Some things are making a lot more sense to me.

I just really wish, they could have hung on to the
"humanity will fight back for their freedom" that was going strong in the beginning. I just really feel like that's been lost with Eren with how convoluted the plot has gotten with the Titans
. I agree the biggest issue is how they deal with arcs (pacing), and how long it takes to get through sections. It just becomes tedious, and it starts to wear down you (the hyper-dramatic style doesn't help either).

Also, if I had to watch another scene where the protagonist
COULD HAVE done something about it, but instead talked (inner monologues are the devil), and then it's too late and they get messed up. Oh my god, I was screaming at the TV (lol a little exaggeration). But my god, how many times do these people need to talk, when they are right in the middle of something important (and it always ends up with them getting defeated because of it).Thing is, I actually get that some of it isn't supposed to be real time (like the inner monologue stuff), but there are times where the characters are legit talking out loud instead of doing what needs to be done.

Ultimately, I'm just let down with where the story decided to shift focus to.
Where the mythology is going and how Eren and the central themes are kind of tying into it all.
But you are right, if it wasn't for the characters/setting, I probably wouldn't have stayed with the show.

I'm actually surprised the show is so popular. I only watched this because a friend bugged me to watch it, so I said fuck it. And this isn't a knock against anyone that loves it (because clearly I do in fact, love elements of it). But this doesn't strike me as a show that would be THAT big, given how tedious it feels at times, and how dark/dramatic and tiresome the world is. I find the overall story/world to be pretty draining (and I mean that even beyond what IMO is a result of bad writing).

Then again, maybe I just don't get what makes an anime popular. *shrugs* Sorry for going crazy with the spoiler tags, I'm just always afraid I'll make someone upset. It's the last thing I would do (I don't mention anything from the Manga). And again, I mean no offense if you love it. The above is just my own opinion.

Mononoke

Banned
No probs Azula. Since you're new to manga and anime let us know if you want any recommendations of which anime to watch. Just tell us what you like or look for.

Well, you guys gave me a great list for film! I spent this past year just devouring anime film (and I'm more so talking about cinematic/artsy film). I was pretty much playing catch up, and hitting all the classics. I've said it before, but I don't have anyone in real life to talk about this stuff with. And I tend to blabber a lot (so I do apologize, for my wall of text). But I'm really grateful to everyone in this thread, for always allowing me to speak my mind, and being really helpful.

I'm only barely moving into manga/tv series now. So if you guys can give me a list of what is considered the best (or classic) manga/tv series, that would be awesome! Kind of going through a rough time right now. And Anime/manga has been really helpful for me. :)

I need to fill the void that HxH has left in me or the wait for next ep will be agonizing. Gintama is good, yes?

Gintama is amazing, one of my favorite animes period. But it's shonen comedy with some serious arcs sprinkled in and it takes a bit (like 20-30 episodes) to become amazing. Before then it's just a very good comedy. So unless you want to watch very good anime comedy I wouldn't go there to fill the void HxH left.

Have you seen Ippo?

I have not.

Gintama is amazing, one of my favorite animes period. But it's shonen comedy with some serious arcs sprinkled in and it takes a bit (like 20-30 episodes) to become amazing. Before then it's just a very good comedy. So unless you want to watch very good anime comedy I wouldn't go there to fill the void HxH left.

I'm okay with anime comedy. Slow-starting shows are fine too. I'll give it a shot tonight/tomorrow, depending (read: I'm gonna watch ep 1 in a few minutes).

Narag

Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu & Keiji 22

God damn, sometimes this show surprises me. It's been this mishmash of clumsily handled politics and a lazy search for a particular statue that would prove Kanetsugu's parentage in this second cour and really been a mess. However, finally got a good story focused one that didn't bog itself down in the politics or get distracted by yet another aside, instead concentrating entirely on the search for the statue and it was pretty great.

Some old guy popped up out of nowhere to reveal the statue's location to the two opposing ninja racing for it. However, he only gave the name of the grave marker to one and the name of the cemetery to the other.
Familiar, eh? :lol

Still surprises me that the show can be so inconsistent with lots of poorly directed stuff burying a few really good eps but hey, at least it's looking to end well now which is all I could ask for.

Well, you guys gave me a great list for film! I spent this past year just devouring anime film (and I'm more so talking about cinematic/artsy film). I was pretty much playing catch up, and hitting all the classics. I've said it before, but I don't have anyone in real life to talk about this stuff with. And I tend to blabber a lot (so I do apologize, for my wall of text). But I'm really grateful to everyone in this thread, for always allowing me to speak my mind, and being really helpful.

I'm only barely moving into manga/tv series now. So if you guys can give me a list of what is considered the best (or classic) manga/tv series, that would be awesome! Kind of going through a rough time right now. And Anime/manga has been really helpful for me. :)

Well what tickles your fancy more? That'll help us know exactly what to recommend. Do you like slice of life (shows about friends hanging out, usually in high school) or do you like action or serious series? There's a broad range of shows so listing everything good might be a bit hard haha.

I'm okay with anime comedy. Slow-starting shows are fine too. I'll give it a shot tonight/tomorrow, depending (read: I'm gonna watch ep 1 in a few minutes).

It's a two parter. So you'll have to watch both 1 and 2. The show has a gigantic cast and I think part of the reason it takes so long to really kick off is because they have to introduce them, establish their personalities and then give them time to expand them. But once they do, you're in for a ride. A katsurap ride

7Q4ig3Z.gif

Here's just a general list of favorites I like to recommend:
Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto
Haibane Renmei
Aria
Spice and Wolf
Mushishi (especially with the incoming sequel)
The Tatami Galaxy
Working!!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I have not.

Unlike 90% of anime comedy, Gintama also happens to be good comedy, easily the best shounen show there is/was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom