• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 48

Finally...

Finally Aiko got what she wanted...

Iiq2itP.jpg

Gintama 01

(I'd have watched ep 2, but I'm insanely tired at this point).

Despite that... This had me consistently laughing. And this is a slow start? I like it.

cnet128

Banned
What scandals? Explain please?

There was an incident orchestrated by the show's production committee where a seiyuu (Ichiki Mitsuhiro) was invited to audition for a supposed anime-original part, told he had passed the audition, then invited to a preview screening event as a special guest. At the event, they revealed to him in front of the public that the whole thing had been a prank, there was never an anime-original character for him to play, and they just wanted him to serve as a promotional vehicle for the show.

The whole thing came as a bit of a shock to the seiyuu who got pranked, and the otaku community got seriously up in arms about how deeply mean-spirited the whole thing had been, demanding justice towards anyone and everyone who could feasibly have been involved (including the other seiyuu who were at the event and weren't really responsible), forcing public apologies and the works.

Then a little later on, there was a separate incident where the composer and lyric writer of the show's OP (Kikuchi Hajime of eufonius) made an insensitive comment on Twitter about another artist, which blew up into a similar otaku justice incident where his previous tweets were scrutinised and he fell under massive attack as a bigot. This resulted in the OP being retroactively removed from the series (it was replaced with a different song for the subsequently airing episodes and for all episodes on the disc releases/future airings), the separate OP that eufonius had recorded for the show's tie-in PSP game also being replaced, and Kikuchi Hajime leaving eufonius. Naturally, it only served to fan the flames of the general otaku bad feeling towards the show and the idea that everyone involved with its production was scum.

The net result of this was that the show got massively boycotted, sales were awful, and there's very little hope of anyone going back to it.

Defuser

There was an incident orchestrated by the show's production committee where a seiyuu (Ichiki Mitsuhiro) was invited to audition for a supposed anime-original part, told he had passed the audition, then invited to a preview screening event as a special guest. At the event, they revealed to him in front of the public that the whole thing had been a prank, there was never an anime-original character for him to play, and they just wanted him to serve as a promotional vehicle for the show.

The whole thing came as a bit of a shock to the seiyuu who got pranked, the otaku community got seriously up in arms about how deeply mean-spirited the whole thing had been and demanded justice towards anyone and everyone who could feasibly have been involved (including the other seiyuu who were at the event and weren't really responsible), forcing public apologies and the works.

Then a little later on, there was a separate incident where the composer and lyric writer of the show's OP (Kikuchi Hajime of eufonius) made an insensitive comment on Twitter about another artist, which blew up into a similar otaku justice incident where his previous tweets were scrutinised and he fell under massive attack as a bigot. This resulted in the OP being retroactively removed from the series (it was replaced with a different song for the subsequently airing episodes and for all episodes on the disc releases/future airings), the separate OP that eufonius had recorded for the show's tie-in PSP game also being replaced, and Kikuchi Hajime leaving eufonius. Naturally, it only served to fan the flames of the general otaku bad feeling towards the show and the idea that everyone involved with its production was scum.

The net result of this was that the show got massively boycotted, sales were awful, and there's very little hope of anyone going back to it.
Actually, the sales for the show was already bad before the scandal so it was dead either way lol.

Aizo

Banned
Hi no Yōjin
This is the most gorgeous film in the collection, and probably the strongest entry, too. The characters and plot movement is interesting. I just wish that it was a couple minutes longer.

Ganbo
Definitely the weakest piece in Short Peace. The characters, plot, and dialogue is all pretty bad. I mean, the concept is problematic from the start. But, if you want to see a white bear fight a demon alien pedophile, you'll have fun.

Tsukumo
The animation and art was pretty strange on the main character. His face and feet were especially odd. The colorful visuals throughout the film were quite nice, and that little umbrella frog was the best thing in Tsukumo.

Buki yo Saraba
This is the Japanese title for Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, but it is just a post-apocalyptic action film. The characters' interactions were good, and the very end was pretty foreboding for Japan. Before the last shot, this film stuck out as the least quintessentially Japanese one in the collection. It could have done without the attempt (?) at comedy right after some more dramatic events, but it was still solid.

Overall, a weaker collection than some of the past ones that Otomo has been involved with, but still fun. The CG is sometimes quite jarring, and in Ganbo, the animation was pretty awkward frequently. In some shots, it looked gorgeous. Buki yo Saraba probably had the most consistent animation, so it can definitely be done well. I still prefer the old fashioned two dimensions. I'm just glad to see that Otomo is working again, so I look forward to his next work.

I'd rank these Hi no Yōjin>Buki yo Saraba>Tsukumo>Ganbo

Gazoinks

Gintama 01

Despite that... This had me consistently laughing. And this is a slow start? I like it.

It gets better! Ep 8 is where the show really felt like it was starting to hit its stride, and it just consistently improves. 25 was glorious.

cnet128

Banned
Actually, the sales for the show was already bad before the scandal so it was dead either way lol.

Well, even if they weren't great to begin with, bad sales for an adaptation don't necessarily preclude a second season from happening as long as it does a decent job of promoting the original material, right? But I can't see anyone going back to an adaptation that generated this much negative publicity =/

(Also it's a crime if people weren't buying this show without such a reason. It's too good for that ;_;)

Jarmel

Banned
K-On!!-20

This is really so much better than the first season. So much mono no aware scenes in this episode.

This could have easily been an excellent final episode.

Shergal

K-On!!-20

This is really so much better than the first season. So much mono no aware scenes in this episode.

This could have easily been an excellent final episode.

It was really good for the show that they realized the 4koma structure fails on animation and let Yoshida do her Yoshida things.

The finale is fairly similar to this ep as well.

Jarmel

Banned
It was really good for the show that they realized the 4koma structure fails on animation and let Yoshida do her Yoshida things.

The finale is fairly similar to this ep as well.

The first season really rubbed me the wrong way in certain areas and this season as a whole feels much more natural.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, even if they weren't great to begin with, bad sales for an adaptation don't necessarily preclude a second season from happening as long as it does a decent job of promoting the original material, right? But I can't see anyone going back to an adaptation that generated this much negative publicity =/

(Also it's a crime if people weren't buying this show without such a reason. It's too good for that ;_;)

Shouldn't they be happy that they got a chance to do 4 random episodes to wrap up the story?

Jex

Spoony Bard 3
Y9yrZr3l.jpg

Oh you, Hachiken.
I think I'm ready for the dorama to start now, because the constant learning moment thing is getting a bit tired. Heck, I'd be happy if he could just enjoy a day of farming without someone trying to teach him some important lesson about life.
So like, perhaps they should go to Tokyo?

A show about utterly incomprehensible aliens wouldn't be very interesting, though. It wouldn't create such a feeling of dissonance if the tanuki didn't feel human up to a certain point.

Well, they aren't utterly incomprehensible aliens, but they have some different values and behavior that made them hard to understand in some respects for me at first (until I got they are just different, they aren't human), and in fact other people in this forum also posted they had problems with them.

I'm talking of their acceptance of being eaten, about their lack of drive to vengeance or retaliation or justice. It's how they are.

Aizo

Banned
It's nice reading a totally different opinion of the anthology than what I thought. I just wish there was a more detail in the impressions so I can understand better what you liked about the stuff I didn't, and why you didn't enjoy what I did. Oh well.

Let's rap, duckroll. What did you like and dislike?

Jex

[Gintama] - Four Devas Arc (Rewatch)

So good. Not just why I watch anime, but why everyone watches anime.

fertygo

Man I really in mood to rewatch Gunbuster, but I guess this time I'll revisit Diebuster first to see my opinion to it back then really affected because I jump straight from Gunbuster and disappointed with the drastic change or not.

[Gintama] - Four Devas Arc (Rewatch)

So good. Not just why I watch anime, but why everyone watches anime.

Like I've said before, one of my favorite relationships of Gintoki alongside Kagura. Kagura's might be the sweetest father/daughter one, while Otose is such a mother/grandma figure it's amazing what they did for this arc.

Another arc that surprised me over how heartfelt it became was the Kintoki arc. Just seeing
all of the friends struggling with attacking Gintoki as they're not sure why
was pretty gut-wrenching.

On an unrelated note just caught up with Pupipo. Is Pupipawesome

Jarmel

Banned
They are just as sapient but, culturally, they have very different views and beliefs.

What I find weird though is how any sort of sapient being couldn't hate something or someone that causes them so much grief. At least with god, he's viewed as mysterious and all knowing, not some butcher down the street.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gintama 01

Oh, why the hell not.

Gintama 1

"Elizabeth: What the hell is that?!"

Dying already. :lol I have no idea what I'm doing getting into a long-runner, but if I were gonna get into one, it might as well be a comedy.

Oh, why the hell not.

Gintama 1

"Elizabeth: What the hell is that?!"

Dying already. :lol I have no idea what I'm doing getting into a long-runner, but if I were gonna get into one, it might as well be a comedy.

Shouldn't you be playing SB4? ;P

Anyway Gintama is on my list to watch. Gonna watch new Golden Time here shortly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kirby:
I can't listen to that ensemble version of the ED too long without tearing up. Even now.

As for PERSON X I did some research already on that and I can discuss it with you later.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder if fucking Media Blasters will ever fucking get around to fucking releasing fucking Yami.

Corvo's thoughts on that will be classic.

Im still salty about this. Really got my hopes up!

K-ON!!-16

How are these girls not fat?

genetics.

Every time Kokoro Connect is mentioned, Inaban DA GODDESS should be mentioned as well.

This should always happen and most of the time probably will because rarely is it so obviously true.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 51 END

I broke down hard watching the entire thing.

This was more..... something... it hit harder than Sailor Stars did in its final few episodes. Like... much harder.

Looks like I woke up at the right time. Congratulations.

Kirby:
I can't listen to that ensemble version of the ED too long without tearing up. Even now.

As for PERSON X I did some research already on that and I can discuss it with you later.

Every time I watch that version I tear up too. And I kept listening to it after I finished the show on youtube
. But this is still the part I cry more.

Looks like I woke up at the right time. Congratulations.

Every time I watch that version I tear up too. And I kept listening to it after I finished the show on youtube
. But this is still the part I cry more.

Apparently, I'm still weak to it. It's like... I knew that it... would make me tear up when I first heard it, but everything needed to make me do so had to be set up first.

Also, your link is messed up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*looks at clock* I guess we can do it later on today... or Sunday...
Well, here's the important part:

S1 Episode 10 - Shot at 5:33 and 6:47 (immediately before and after talk with principal)
S1 Episode 13 - Scene starting 4:58 (Doremi wakes up after passing out)
S1 Episode 29 - Nothing specific, but stated no relationships and the cop turns out to be just a neighbor.
Sharp Episode 1 - Scene starting 11:07 continuing after eyecatch (Aiko answers door just before eyecatch)
Sharp Episode 22 - Multiple scenes, but of most note is the flow of information regarding the kidnapping attempt and the prime suspect.
Dokkan Episode 30 - They really do get sick at the same time here.
Dokkan Episode 43 - Still goes to her job at school though.

Well, here's the important part:

S1 Episode 10 - Shot at 5:33 and 6:47 (immediately before and after talk with principal)
S1 Episode 13 - Scene starting 4:58 (Doremi wakes up after passing out)
S1 Episode 29 - Nothing specific, but stated no relationships and the cop turns out to be just a neighbor.
Sharp Episode 1 - Scene starting 11:07 continuing after eyecatch (Aiko answers door just before eyecatch)
Sharp Episode 22 - Multiple scenes, but of most note is the flow of information regarding the kidnapping attempt and the prime suspect.
Dokkan Episode 30 - They really do get sick at the same time here.
Dokkan Episode 43 - Still goes to her job at school though.

I will look into this later then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom