• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I take bottom of the page.

ilX57Vm.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kirby: Oh yeah,
that scene when Hana threatens to out herself was just perfection. An entire show of making it clear how bad that is made that moment of terror work especially well. And then, "gotcha", oh my gawwwdddd.

Also, now you can see why I said to wait on Naisho 13. Now you have proper context.

Kirby: Oh yeah,
that scene when Hana threatens to out herself was just perfection. An entire show of making it clear how bad that is made that moment of terror work especially well. And then, "gotcha", oh my gawwwdddd.

The whole episode was just great, and it helps that every episode after 46 was pretty much breaking down Doremi's mindset of her ideal future school life. Onpu's... was probably the weakest one, but it was the one that truly sent the signal of what the final episodes would be about. And it lead into that final episode.

That being said, everyone being at Mahou-Dou... it was just..... just....

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The whole episode was just great, and it helps that every episode after 46 was pretty much breaking down Doremi's mindset of her ideal future school life. Onpu's... was probably the weakest one, but it was the one that truly sent the signal of what the final episodes would be about. And it lead into that final episode.

That being said, everyone being at Mahou-Dou... it was just..... just....
Her dad using steak helped lighten the mood a bit. Hilarious scene.

Also, see my edit earlier.

Her dad using steak helped lighten the mood a bit. Hilarious scene.

Also, see my edit earlier.

Kind of annoyed she didn't eat steak at this point. Then again, I probably would've broke down even harder because she finally got what she wanted after getting fucked over too much.

Anyway, should I watch Naisho first, or do the PERSON X hunt first?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kind of annoyed she didn't eat steak at this point. Then again, I probably would've broke down even harder because she finally got what she wanted after getting fucked over too much.

Anyway, should I watch Naisho first, or do the PERSON X hunt first?
Yeah... That was definitely on my mind at the time. "Is she finally going to get it?" But at that point it was really not important to her so it wouldn't have been the honest resolution.

Actually, PERSON X does not appear in Naisho, and much less in the rest of the show than you'd think (I checked ALL of it looking for scenes!). Those scenes are simply those of note looking back, both in that they take on new meaning and show that it was something they had in mind the whole time.

Yeah... That was definitely on my mind at the time. "Is she finally going to get it?" But at that point it was really not important to her so it wouldn't have been the honest resolution.

Actually, PERSON X does not appear in Naisho, and much less in the rest of the show than you'd think (I checked ALL of it looking for scenes!). Those scenes are simply those of note looking back, both in that they take on new meaning and show that it was something they had in mind the whole time.

I would be convinced that it was all planned out given how things pretty much flowed. Although, that being said, I don't think they ever stated that being a witch would make you live longer when they finally became witches in S1, and then afterwards, they just increased the "longer life spans are too troublesome" more and more every season.

So in a way, it's kind of... asshole-ish? Granted, the reset button was hit like... twice, so it didn't really matter.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I would be convinced that it was all planned out given how things pretty much flowed. Although, that being said, I don't think they ever stated that being a witch would make you live longer when they finally became witches in S1, and then afterwards, they just increased the "longer life spans are too troublesome" more and more every season.

So in a way, it's kind of... asshole-ish? Granted, the reset button was hit like... twice, so it didn't really matter.
In S1 they rushed into things. It wasn't until later that they got a chance to really think about what they were doing, especially as they got more and more exposed to various witches.

Although I'm pretty sure they stated witches have longer lifespans, just that Doremi and gang were so busy trying to just advance.

In S1 they rushed into things. It wasn't until later that they got a chance to really think about what they were doing, especially as they got more and more exposed to various witches.

Although I'm pretty sure they stated witches have longer lifespans, just that Doremi and gang were so busy trying to just advance.

Right, I guess that's why the following seasons just get better.

Oh well. I'm really exhausted. Bed!

Branduil

They all look better than the two horrible ones from last year.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever reviewed the Gonzo one on here.

cajunator

Banned
Well, you guys gave me a great list for film! I spent this past year just devouring anime film (and I'm more so talking about cinematic/artsy film). I was pretty much playing catch up, and hitting all the classics. I've said it before, but I don't have anyone in real life to talk about this stuff with. And I tend to blabber a lot (so I do apologize, for my wall of text). But I'm really grateful to everyone in this thread, for always allowing me to speak my mind, and being really helpful.

I'm only barely moving into manga/tv series now. So if you guys can give me a list of what is considered the best (or classic) manga/tv series, that would be awesome! Kind of going through a rough time right now. And Anime/manga has been really helpful for me. :)

Tsuritama is really good. Chihayafuru is also quite interesting for a "sport" based anime (about a card game)

Here's just a general list of favorites I like to recommend:
Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto
Haibane Renmei
Aria
Spice and Wolf
Mushishi (especially with the incoming sequel)
The Tatami Galaxy
Working!!

Also these because Zachy knows what hes talking about

There was an incident orchestrated by the show's production committee where a seiyuu (Ichiki Mitsuhiro) was invited to audition for a supposed anime-original part, told he had passed the audition, then invited to a preview screening event as a special guest. At the event, they revealed to him in front of the public that the whole thing had been a prank, there was never an anime-original character for him to play, and they just wanted him to serve as a promotional vehicle for the show.

The whole thing came as a bit of a shock to the seiyuu who got pranked, and the otaku community got seriously up in arms about how deeply mean-spirited the whole thing had been, demanding justice towards anyone and everyone who could feasibly have been involved (including the other seiyuu who were at the event and weren't really responsible), forcing public apologies and the works.

Then a little later on, there was a separate incident where the composer and lyric writer of the show's OP (Kikuchi Hajime of eufonius) made an insensitive comment on Twitter about another artist, which blew up into a similar otaku justice incident where his previous tweets were scrutinised and he fell under massive attack as a bigot. This resulted in the OP being retroactively removed from the series (it was replaced with a different song for the subsequently airing episodes and for all episodes on the disc releases/future airings), the separate OP that eufonius had recorded for the show's tie-in PSP game also being replaced, and Kikuchi Hajime leaving eufonius. Naturally, it only served to fan the flames of the general otaku bad feeling towards the show and the idea that everyone involved with its production was scum.

The net result of this was that the show got massively boycotted, sales were awful, and there's very little hope of anyone going back to it.

I was really disapponted when they did this. Harmed any chance of an already niche show succeeding at all. If theres one thing you dont do its alienate an already niche audience!

Ok, I take bottom of the page.

ilX57Vm.gif

quoted for adorbs

I think it's time for me to watch Eiken. How bad could it possibly be?

Its worse than you fear.

It's not as bad as NTHT.

NTHT is a good show. It told a depressing story and did it well. Hamdo is one of the more memorable villains.

Maison Ikkoku - 31~40

O6jmEwE.jpg

There's no better troll than Yotsuya-san
What's the problem of receiving an egg from Yotsuya-san?
Kyoko
father-in-law
talked about how it was already time for her to
forget about Souichirou-san...then he send her his diary?
What?
When Godai grandma got him a date with Kyoko I thought she had used some trick, like she going to be togheter with them, but was Kyoko really excited to have a date with Godai? Kyoko to Godai no Deto o Nerae.
Poor Kentaro-kun. Good drunk episode.
Godai is an asshole. Poor Kozue-chan, she doesn't deserve this. He already has Kyoko in the bag, the ice cream is gooing to melt again at this pace Godai-kun.
Do you like christmas? This is already the third christmas episode and the costs keep raising for Godai-kun.

There's no ED or OP that are going to be better than Alone Again(Naturally) and Get Down. :(

Log Horizon 17
Still chugging along as my favorite anime in a long time.
That final shot lol, Crusty creep'n

Actually like the Princess alot more after this episode.

just knowing we only have 8 more episodes is killing me.

Kokoro Connect 1-17 END

This series was much better than I expected it to be. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It looks like they only adapted 4/11 of the light novels. I really hope they do the rest. I like how the ending shows the two new characters Chihiro and Shino. Inaba was definitely my favorite in the show though.

I watched the show last week and loved it, though I feel it peaked early.
When Iori jumped off the bridge and they had to decide who was going to die in her body was a real "holy shit" moment. I don't think anything else hit quite as hard the rest of the show. But Inaba winning in the end was a good touch.

Gintama 25

Amazing. So intense. Better than Death Note.

Funniest episode yet.
Yep ... AMAZINg, the show went from good to amazing at this point.

Strike the Blood 15

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

But seriously,
Yuuma and Natsuki will be fine. They're in the OP!

Actually , (don't click unless you're curious )
she will be fine , her body at least

cajunator

Banned
I watched the show last week and loved it, though I feel it peaked early.
When Iori jumped off the bridge and they had to decide who was going to die in her body was a real "holy shit" moment. I don't think anything else hit quite as hard the rest of the show. But Inaba winning in the end was a good touch.

That turned out ok in the end but at the moment yeah was like holy shit.
Didnt expect that.

All the bail out gifs in the world couldn't express my opinion if that sticks.

And I just got hooked on this show today.
Actually i just went to read the next chapter in order to appease my anger.

My anger is well contained now .. right now it's non-existant .

Yep i'm actually happy by how this will turn out.

[Gintama] - Four Devas Arc (Rewatch)

So good. Not just why I watch anime, but why everyone watches anime.
This arc gets me everytime , especially how it starts really stupid and then SUDDENLY SERIOUS BUSINESS

That was my point. Inhuman patience.
And that's not even considering the "ate my dad" thing.
I think the show actually express perfectly how the tanuki have a different point of view on life than regular humans ... they are aware that they are part of the food chain and they don't ( can't ) do a thing to change that . The MC considering his past seems more aware than anyone about this fact. that's why he sticks near benten , like a moth near a flame.

Man Witch Craft Works ED gets me every single time.
Surprised how i like this ED , because it's so simplistic... but it's entertaining no doubt.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 17:

Yes indeed you know a show is firing on nearly all cylinders when the grand political maneuverings and machinations are just as if not more compelling then the action on the ground. Indeed it sadly all too rare that we get to a battle fought on both the macro and mirco scales and indeed the junior league portion is much better when it is not just doing world building but is actually part of the overall plot arc. We are also seeing the destined birth of a new heroine
Lenessia Erhart Cowen has defied her lazy whims and is now seeking to gather a volunteer army of Adventures using nothing but her raw charisma and passion. By god this series actually understand what empowering women actually means. By the way, if you pay attention to the OP, her rally has been shown to us each week, indeed she will be getting some armor I am not crazy about design wise.
Why the hell aren't more people watching this show? Said it before, I will again, this is the MMORPG show we needed, and the one we really deserved.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Minky Momo: Yume ni Kakeru Hashi

re6CGHY.jpg
UjIovsE.jpg

iVflHYy.jpg
F1qtF3K.jpg

This was a fairly neat OVA short. Combined atmosphere, mono no aware, and romanticism into a story that's both contemplative and sweet. While attached to the Minky Momo franchise, it doesn't really use it much aside from choice of protagonist and pretty much stands on its own.

uTs1wFk.jpg

These backdrops, man.

cajunator

Banned
Minky Momo: Yume ni Kakeru Hashi

re6CGHY.jpg
UjIovsE.jpg

iVflHYy.jpg
F1qtF3K.jpg

This was a fairly neat OVA short. Combined atmosphere, mono no aware, and romanticism into a story that's both contemplative and sweet. While attached to the Minky Momo franchise, it doesn't really use it much aside from choice of protagonist and pretty much stands on its own.

uTs1wFk.jpg

These backdrops, man.

Minky is a cutie.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 15 DARKNESS_EMERGE_ -Encounter

The OP is fairly weak though it is hard to compare to the awesomeness of X encounter in both sound and visuals (though they did keep some of the best moments of OP 1 in this OP). The ED song Break a Spell is visually stylish yet simple and the sound is incredibly stunning and catchy. I need the single.

DARKNESS EMERGE arc is off to a great start
Suzu was always one of the more interesting characters on the FemSide so an arc centered for her assuming she is this great character of mention on the same level of ohtomo-sensei too in terms of great magical prowess will set up a good arc.

Shaver and Reiji is an interesting partnership.

So I'm not done with Tenchi GXP, but as I'm approhing the end and it wouldn't be right to finish it while my Toonami GAF pals are all asleep I'll start the next series I want to watch. This is an odd series for me because I know nothing about it outside of the fact a friend at work raves about it. I'll start watching Desert Punk hope it lives up to my buddies hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom