• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Smoking is fucking everywhere in Japan. One of the things that pissed me off to no end while I was there. I was like "let's go out drinking with friends that sounds like a good idea" and then once we were in a bar I was like "actually FUCK I CAN'T BREATHE"

sounds like fun :(
So prevalent even the angels smoke (see if anyone gets this reference)

FULL METAL PANIC! SIGMA'S LAST VOLUME IS TRANSLATED TODAY!

Kill la Kill? DROPPED.

11861825095_3c59bf9f39_o.jpg

Lol yeah. I dunno how anyone could hate Sakura Trick unless they just cant stand yuri.

I love how that woman drives him nuts all the time. One of the funniest things about it.
Hes always getting in trouble when they cross paths.
How many other shows have a live action OP like that?

It works for Desert Punk but I doubt most other anime could pull it off

CorvoSol

Arjuna was a jumping shark to begin with!

Jumping a shark is probably requisite in Arjunism.

Worth it to me.

So worth it to me.

Best Gundam since G Gundam dropped!? Huh?

Full Metal Panic is my favorite anime ever. Even the Best Gundam since G cannot hold a candle to the hype I am presently feeling at knowing that the last issue of the manga which concludes the story of my favorite anime ever is now readable. Everything is on hold until I'm done. Chances are that I will be done before the next episode of Gundam Best Fighters comes out anyway.

It's worth it to me.

Man I don't even know what my favorite series I was reading the manga religiously until it ended would be.... maybe Fullmetal Alchemist? Though I wouldn't call it my favorite manga series, just that I was REALLY into it.

Let me guess,
Yuuma does that body switchy thing and gives Natsuki her body, while she dies in Natsuki's
?

Or something like that. :lol
Bad guess.

FULL METAL PANIC! SIGMA'S LAST VOLUME IS TRANSLATED TODAY!

Getter Robo? DROPPED.
Mobile Suit Gundam? Dropped.
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen? Dropped.
Hyouka? Dropped.
Kenya Boy? DROPPED.
Project A-Ko? DROPPED.
Persona 4 TAS? DROPPED.
Gundam Build Fighters? DROPPED.
Kill la Kill? DROPPED.
Samurai Flamenco? DROPPED.
Space Dandy? Dropped.
Nobunaga the Fool? DROPPED.

EVERYTHING IS DROPPED.

It's FMP! Time, baby.
You could have put "on hold" instead of dropped and it would have been better
i do need to read those anyway

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 17

I like the sense of scale that alternating between the politics and the kids' action gives. This show continues to be super enjoyable, and this episode felt over way too quickly.

Log Horizon 17

HNNNNNNNNNNG DIS SHOW

Most enjoyable 20+ episode show out right now imho.

In this episode we get more political discussion and arguments, emotions fly by and plots are made. Then we have a brave little lazy princess. I wasn't that big of a fan of hers at first but she won me over this episode. I liked how the merchant dude acknowledged Shirou's glass pushing haha.

As to the other side of the story with the muppet babies, I couldn't give a fuck about any of them. Besides Rudy. "Meezz Eeh-zoo-zoo". I swear I'm gonna cry manly tears if all the hints they're giving about
his eventual death end up being true as he's one of my favorites

This show is too close to ending now and I'm sad. I don't want it to end. I love it. Guess once it ends I'll try and read the LN's

Jarmel

Banned
jDIMd.jpg

Imocho-4
iJY36KZBPqGIu.jpg

This was a great storyboarding shot as it represents the Hedgehog's Dilemma, a critical aspect to this series.
So in this episode, we get some limitations on the body swapping and overall downtime. The show actually knows when to restrain itself. This episode was filled with the usual motifs of water, I wonder if it's supposed to symbolize rebirth. Mitsuki is being reborn in the sense that she's starting a new life with Yuuya and trying to get over her past traumatic experiences. I think this is further reinforced with the repeated shots of dolphins throughout the episode such as in Mitsuki's room and in the dining room. Dolphins can symbolize rebirth and playfulness so maybe it's hinting at Hiyori's role in helping Mitsuki overcome her traumatic past.
We find out that Mitsuki can only be outside her body for so long before the owner 'switches' if you will. This finally gives some sort of limitation to the body swapping with serious implications. I loved how quick Hiyori threw Mitsuki under the bus. Hiyori acted pretty rationally in her thinking and it shows how desperate she is stay alive. It also allowed some scenes to progress naturally without Mitsuki constantly interfering.
ii3rCdT1x2duN.jpg

Again, repeated emphasis on water.
In addition, Yuya started doing research into multiple personality disorders and trying to discover the cause of it, which is most likely the domestic abuse Mitsuki suffered in the past. What makes this a great scene is that Yuya is actually taking the prerogative and is trying to discover why Mitsuki is acting this way. He's using common sense and a bit of intelligence, something many harem and LN protagonists lack. It also helps to tie the information in previous episodes and confirms the dark undertone to the series.

survivor

Banned
Kyousougiga 10

So this was pretty good. I'm still unsure about some details about the events of the final couple episodes and the actions of some characters, but in the grand scheme of things they don't seem to matter as the show told its story about a particular family in a great way.

One weakness was that the Looking Glass City wasn't given a lot of life to its citizens as say the town from Yozakura Quartet so the events of the last 2 episodes didn't have as much impact to me as the show hoped it would.

World Conquest Zvesdsdasda 3

Lol at the Smoke Busters. In fact I lol'd in this whole episode as an anime finally acknowledged how Japan seems to be one of the only big tv medium countries that still portrays smoking as cool and bad boy-like in a sexy way. That was amazing. If this is how the rest of this show is going to be I wouldn't mind, the commentary was amazing. It was like watching a loli Zetsubou Sensei.

The main character still doesn't seem to have a role besides the new guy who is introduced into this whole business to represent the confused viewers. And while that's a fine role, that could have been given to a secondary character. He seems nice and all just not protag material. Yasu's internal struggle of wanting to be the bad boy but not being able to is still hilarious.

Log Horizon - Episode 17

Pushing glasses without wearing glasses, they've finally done it! The princess, who up to this point I was fairly neutral on has definately warmed on me this episode.

Next episode has spotlights, more glasses pushing and some more character development on the princess. Should be pretty good!

Fushigi Mahou Fun Fun Pharmacy 8

How appropriate to watch something where magic was useful (or at least this episode), and not for pedestrian things after watching Doremi.

Remember when Drinking was a thing? ...Do people even drink beer in Precure?

Kuroko's Basketball 2 Episode 41
tumblr_mzz3e2pA3L1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Excellent dialogue choices at times that felt like it came right out of certain arts, fics, and doujins Ive read (aokaga). I dont understand why this match is so long as this episode did feel like it was starting to feel a bit dragged out somewhat, though it was hilarious
when Izuki randomly vanished like that. I almost thought he powered up and not Kuroko with Misdirection Overflow. Would have been nice for the other players too

Hopefully Kagami pulls out some last quarter powerup, and I want Sakurai to have a chance to redeem himself. Felt bad for him that he's been the victim the whole game, terrible way to be remembered at this point in the series :(

Gazoinks

Nisekoi 3

Pretty good episode. Not as funny as the last one, but still decently funny, and the ending was sweet.

I feel like I'd like this show with less reservations if they dropped the whole key business and just made it a romantic comedy about Raku and Chitoge. I mean, it kind of already is, but the locket is just hanging above everything ominously, reminding us that this is a cliche harem setup at its heart.
Speaking of which Onodera overhearing them woop woop.

Lurky

Sekai Seifuku 3

Damn this show be giving out life lessons now. Seriously, I love how over-the-top it is. That transformation scene was amazing. I can't tell if the zvezda is good or evil anymore. Maybe chaotic good?

Jarmel

Banned
Sekai Seifuku-3

This was the best episode so far. If getting rid of smokers is a benefit of Kate's world conquest then she needs to hurry the fuck up.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 16

Misdirection Overflow
. This is just the beginning of what to expect to finish the game. Can't wait for
The Zone

DTL looks like the game probably going to last 2 or 1 1/2 more episodes.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 2

There's a two second blink and you'll miss it addition to Chidori's backstory in this episode: She has living family. Her father and little sister are in America, because Mr. Chidori works for the UN. Mrs. Chidori is, however, deceased. This episode is also the beginning of Sousuke and Kaname's friendship, sparked mostly because Kaname can't believe how wacky Sousuke really is. Some of the things said at the end of the series really put these episodes in an entirely different perspective, though.

Log horizon - 17
I'm actually quite confused .
i thought that they would adapt book 4 & 5 , but at this rate they won't have time for book 5 .. i'm actually worried whenever they will try to rush book 5 or skip it for later and do fillers.
I think they won't skip book 5 because there is a tiny clue about it in the opening ( even if it's well hidden )

About this episode :

Good episode as usual , you can feel that the noobs are closer to a team than ever and that they have learned.

As for our princess , she finally tried to do things she can do , in her own way and this is a turn of events that will mean a lot in plenty of ways ( one only needto look at the opening to find all the clues for this season after all. )

Argh you guys ready for
princess lenessia speach to the adventurers in valkyrie armor
? Because , from now on the serious business is starting

Mononoke

Banned
Well what tickles your fancy more? That'll help us know exactly what to recommend. Do you like slice of life (shows about friends hanging out, usually in high school) or do you like action or serious series? There's a broad range of shows so listing everything good might be a bit hard haha.

It's a two parter. So you'll have to watch both 1 and 2. The show has a gigantic cast and I think part of the reason it takes so long to really kick off is because they have to introduce them, establish their personalities and then give them time to expand them. But once they do, you're in for a ride. A katsurap ride

7Q4ig3Z.gif

My apologies. Got caught up in some things. I've written down all the suggestions I've been given so far in a notepad. I guess I have to say that I do enjoy slice of life stuff. At least I did with film (really enjoyed Whisper of the Heart, Girl Who Leapt Through Time stuff like that.).

So I'm totally fine with that. I don't mind action stuff either. I guess I should probably check out Deathnote at some point. Sorry if that was a vague response. I guess I'm not too stubborn in my ways. I know I've been critical about Attack on Titan, but it's more so for the pacing, and how draining it is when all the aspects that I find flawed come together. But I'm not against action/serious anime. I guess I would just hope that it has good writing/good pacing (all you can really ask for I guess).

Nisekoi 3
I'm now recalling why I liked this early on. Also, Raku is fulfilling his role as the dumb protagonist quite nicely with completely missing all those signs from Onodera

Yamato 5

I kind of wished I hadn't noticed the whole uniform discrepancy thing, it's going to bug me for the rest of the series. Also Rei is literally the only female pilot on this ship? C'mon man.Otherwise another solid episode.

cajunator

Banned
World Conquest Zvesdsdasda 3

Lol at the Smoke Busters. In fact I lol'd in this whole episode as an anime finally acknowledged how Japan seems to be one of the only big tv medium countries that still portrays smoking as cool and bad boy-like in a sexy way. That was amazing. If this is how the rest of this show is going to be I wouldn't mind, the commentary was amazing. It was like watching a loli Zetsubou Sensei.

The main character still doesn't seem to have a role besides the new guy who is introduced into this whole business to represent the confused viewers. And while that's a fine role, that could have been given to a secondary character. He seems nice and all just not protag material. Yasu's internal struggle of wanting to be the bad boy but not being able to is still hilarious.

I like how hes just as confused as the audience is too. This is the kind of POV show I like. I dont like self insert harem shows for example.

jman2050

Nisekoi 3

Shaft is doing a good job making Raku look a whole lot better than he does in the manga. Also it really has been a while cause I don't even remember half the stuff in this episode.

Ruri only gets one line but I like her voice already.

I think I counted two and a half headtilts today? Maybe I missed some?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yamato 5

I kind of wished I hadn't noticed the whole uniform discrepancy thing, it's going to bug me for the rest of the series. Also Rei is literally the only female pilot on this ship? C'mon man.Otherwise another solid episode.
And don't forget,
in the original, Yamamoto was a dude so already that's a massive improvement

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 15

Very entertaining stuff. Return back to Honnouji Academy is a disappointment though. Next episode sexy sensei will deliver an info dump on Ryuko's father and such it sounds like.

Yamato 5

In the original Yamato series, Yuki was the only female character on the entire ship.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 3

This episode introduces us to 3rd place girl Tessa. Tessa is a bit of a subversion of the "incompetent female captain" while at the same time not a "hypercompetent teenager." It takes a good long while to fully explain what her deal is, but I think she's one of the best characters in the series. The thing is that Tessa is actually better when she isn't trying to hook up with Sousuke. Especially in Sigma. In the meantime she's stuck with Richard Mardukas and Andrei Kalinin. Both of whom know a good deal more about what is happening in this series than they let on.

jman2050

Also wow @ dat Nisekoi endcard. Who's the artist there? E: Looks like something from Etrian Odyssey looking at it again.

Nisekoi 3

Pretty good episode. Not as funny as the last one, but still decently funny, and the ending was sweet.

I feel like I'd like this show with less reservations if they dropped the whole key business and just made it a romantic comedy about Raku and Chitoge. I mean, it kind of already is, but the locket is just hanging above everything ominously, reminding us that this is a cliche harem setup at its heart.
Speaking of which Onodera overhearing them woop woop.

Well...
that's kinda sorta what happens, except replace "Raku and Chitoge" with "Raku, Chitoge, Onodera, and five possibly more other girls"

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic! 3

This episode introduces us to 3rd place girl Tessa. Tessa is a bit of a subversion of the "incompetent female captain" while at the same time not a "hypercompetent teenager." It takes a good long while to fully explain what her deal is, but I think she's one of the best characters in the series. The thing is that Tessa is actually better when she isn't trying to hook up with Sousuke. Especially in Sigma. In the meantime she's stuck with Richard Mardukas and Andrei Kalinin. Both of whom know a good deal more about what is happening in this series than they let on.

Tessa is second. No way shes third.

My apologies. Got caught up in some things. I've written down all the suggestions I've been given so far in a notepad. I guess I have to say that I do enjoy slice of life stuff. At least I did with film (really enjoyed Whisper of the Heart, Girl Who Leapt Through Time stuff like that.).

So I'm totally fine with that. I don't mind action stuff either. I guess I should probably check out Deathnote at some point. Sorry if that was a vague response. I guess I'm not too stubborn in my ways. I know I've been critical about Attack on Titan, but it's more so for the pacing, and how draining it is when all the aspects that I find flawed come together. But I'm not against action/serious anime. I guess I would just hope that it has good writing/good pacing (all you can really ask for I guess).

If you're basically open for anything then I'm going to list what I recently suggested for friends, so if you've seen some of the stuff in here simply ignore it...

Action/serious:

Hunter x Hunter- shonen action. Very DBZ styled

Fate/Zero- Seinen (aka made for older audiences). Has an episode or two where it's largely talking but it's not the norm.

Berserk Golden Age Arc Trilogy- film trilogy. Amazingly good, though the experiment with the animation didn't pay off truly until the second half of the second film. Seinen and similar to Attack on Titan of dark fantasy setting.

Cowboy Bebop- you were asking for great classics and nothing beats Cowboy Bebop in that regard. Another one of my favorite anime series ever. Probably my favorite.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood- Action series similar to Attack on Titan in the sense of not being styled as other shows with story arcs. But it has good pacing unlike AoT.

Samurai Champloo- from the creator of Cowboy Bebop. Also amazing, some people prefer it to Bebop. Combines a bit of hip hop and modern culture with samurai setting.

Psycho-Pass: Dystopian sci-fi setting. Very well drawn, arcs are interesting and while the main cast left a bit to be desired they were still very thorough with the two leads.

Ergo Proxy- Very good sci fi and fantasy series. Also a bit dystopian. A bit more artsy in the presentation than some of the others I've recommended here.

Death Note- I see you haven't seen it. Give it a watch a very amazing anime.

Monster- An anime that outside of being drawn, doesn't have much to do with the medium. Amazing thriller and getting an HBO remake at some point in the next few years.

Baccano!- a darling of many people here. Definitely recommended here. Used to be in Netflix not sure if it's still there.

Wolf's Rain- a flawed yet very emotional anime. I believe this was the start that made me cry very easily with shows.

Gintama- the bigger of my recommendations as it has 200+ episodes but definitely a good comedy with a sprinkle of serious arcs. If you want something that's way ahead of you with no fear of catching up, watch this.

Black Lagoon- amazing seinen action series. Definitely a must watch.

Trigun- a classic in the action series.

Gun x Sword- while not a classic per se, it's still an oldie and a goodie. I'll probably rewatch it soon enough.

Katanagatari- amazing series. One of the many you must watch.

Slice of Life/Comedy:

Daily Life of High School Boys- one of the better slice of life comedies out there. A series of skits but they're all amazing.

Nichijou- Basically a random collection of skits all revolving around a high school, specifically a group of high school girls. If you want a smile on your face this'll help out immensely.

Kids on the Slope- from the director of Cowboy Bebop comes this slice of life about high school kids and jazz. Very charming and has a bit of drama. But what high school life doesn't?

Clannad and Clannad After Story- one of the more emotional slice of life shows there are out there. A hint of fantasy but not too much to take it out of this category. Watch this when you want something that can get serious and a bit depressing at times.

Great Teacher Onizuka- you mentioned classics, here's another. Amazing show.

Usagi Drop- a sweet slice of life story about a man who isn't married taking care of an unwanted child. Stop with the anime avoid manga AT ALL COSTS.

Nodame Cantabile- decently long musical show about people trying to go forward with their careers in the classical music business. Amazing too, it will not disappoint.

Ef a tale of Memories/Melodies- there are two seasons. Can't remember which one is the first name-wise, but watch them in order. Very good dramas/romance.

Kokoro Connect- make sure you watch the whole thing, including the OVA's that 'finish' the story. There's something like 17 episodes total.

Spice and Wolf- while not slice of life in high school per se, it's a very relaxing fantasy show with a very intricate love story.

Eden of the East- watch the tv series and the 2/3 movies that follow. Very good series.

Hyouka- an AnimeGAF favorite and I can't disagree. Kyoto Animation at its finest.

Detroit Metal City- hilarious anime with relatively short episodes about a metal band.

I have more shows if you see this and want more recommendations once you're done.

Just to add to Admiral Woofington's list for action, in the event you haven't seen it (which I'm not sure, you might have):

Yu Yu Hakusho - Same author as Hunter x Hunter, and probably my favorite of the shounen genre (I admit nostalgia is clouding my judgement here a ton, but still...).

Sekai seifuku - bouryaku no zveda - 03

If i was there i heard that speech i would have become part of this army .. Coming from someone like me that have breath problems (long story but i need a sleeping device to sleep ) smokers begone !
1390682404947.gif

Never relent !
Anyway , world conquest potential was defintly there, this is why i'll continue watching , because behind the initial premise , there is more... and i certainly liked what i saw for this episode. Certainly , protraying smokers as
not even human
is a bit too far , seriously ..sometimes it needs to stop.

God-tier episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom