• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone going into Ergo Proxy for action is probably going to be disappointed. There is action, but it's not what I'd call an action series, and it's really slow-paced on the whole.

I never did finish that show. >.>

Yeah should probably fix that category as action/serious

Just to add to Admiral Woofington's list for action, in the event you haven't seen it (which I'm not sure, you might have):

Yu Yu Hakusho - Same author as Hunter x Hunter, and probably my favorite of the shounen genre (I admit nostalgia is clouding my judgement here a ton, but still...).

Nope not clouding your judgement. I watched it recently and up until the dark tournament it was still amazing.

Haha, that is definitely an improvement.

Yamato 6

That Pluto base might have had the shittiest defense on any base ever, I can't even remember if the main base had AA guns.

Also sure would suck to be literally the only pilot that died in that entire battle. RIP.

wsippel

Banned
Sekai Seifuku 2

I agree with Yasu, militant non-smokers should shut the fuck up. If you're worried about your health, there are a billion things more worthy of your attention than second hand smoke. The episode was still good for a few laughs.

Smoking is fucking everywhere in Japan. One of the things that pissed me off to no end while I was there. I was like "let's go out drinking with friends that sounds like a good idea" and then once we were in a bar I was like "actually FUCK I CAN'T BREATHE"
There's a very simple solution to that problem: Start smoking.

Actually i just went to read the next chapter in order to appease my anger.

My anger is well contained now .. right now it's non-existant .

Yep i'm actually happy by how this will turn out.
So is
Yuuma dead
?

Log horizon - 17
I'm actually quite confused .
i thought that they would adapt book 4 & 5 , but at this rate they won't have time for book 5 .. i'm actually worried whenever they will try to rush book 5 or skip it for later and do fillers.
I think they won't skip book 5 because there is a tiny clue about it in the opening ( even if it's well hidden )

About this episode :

Good episode as usual , you can feel that the noobs are closer to a team than ever and that they have learned.

As for our princess , she finally tried to do things she can do , in her own way and this is a turn of events that will mean a lot in plenty of ways ( one only needto look at the opening to find all the clues for this season after all. )

Argh you guys ready for
princess lenessia speach to the adventurers in valkyrie armor
? Because , from now on the serious business is starting

Call me crazy but this is one show I wouldn't mind having some filler be it other characters, side stories, flashbacks or even just more slice of MMO life.
(as long as it isn't pure garbage filler)

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 49

Ichigo, you're a terrible friend. Or Kaede has a big mouth. Or both. Probably both. Kinda saw it coming though.

Theonik

1390682404947.gif
vagina bones.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 4

Several things in this episode. First off the plane lands in "The Autonomous Region of Khanka" which is really "North Korea But We Can't Say That on TV." Of course in FMP the Cold War is ongoing and China is divided between the Soviet North and the Capitalist South, so I'm not exactly sure on this, but I'm still pretty confident Khanka is North Korea just like Helmajistan is Afghanistan.

Next up we get to hear how Sousuke and Kalinin took out Gauron the first time. Judging from what I remember, this means that
it would be after Kalinin had reencountered Sousuke and defected from the Soviet Union in light of his wife's death. This should also be around the time when Zaied and Sousuke are separated.

Lastly, Kalinin gives a description of Sousuke as "Someone who puts the mission before his feelings and every inch the professional" which serves as sort of the thematic opposite of everything Sousuke must strive to become as the series goes on.

Syrinx

She was going to tell her, but Aoi kept going wait till later! Didn't have much of a choice here.

Oh right that. But the way she told Aoi that she had a lot to tell her didn't seem to carry the seriousness that she's...you know...leaving the school and leaving Aoi.

Sekai Seifuku 2

I agree with Yasu, militant non-smokers should shut the fuck up. If you're worried about your health, there are a billion things more worthy of your attention than second hand smoke. The episode was still good for a few laughs.

Saying that there are more important things to take care about is a poor way to dodge the problem. You have to start somewhere. Coming from me who have health problems , this way of thinking is just rude and ignorant.
Second hand smoke is harmfull to anyone that is in the vicinity. That was proven by various reasearches.
Telling others to "do something else instead" , is an argument that is void.. the problem is still there.

Now sekai seifuku , despite their bias on the issue is clearly telling that there is no current problem for this dilema ..but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't talk , voice their opinion about it just because there might be worse things to take care off ATM.

Yamato 7

Dead families, misunderstandings, feelings that will never be reciprocated, and a
shadowy evil plot!
Oh, and some incredibly awkward and out-of-place fanservice.

Conquering the world one tummy at a time.
Conquest is always made on several fronts for various difficult battles.

So is
Yuuma dead
?
I dislike straight spoilers so i'll say this ( strike the blood spoilers )
The attack on yuuma was a decoy for the real attack it wasn't intended to kill. The attack on natsuki, wasn't intended to kill either but to steal her magic , so that the seal could be broken..
End of spoilers , i won't say more.

Call me crazy but this is one show I wouldn't mind having some filler be it other characters, side stories, flashbacks or even just more slice of MMO life.
(as long as it isn't pure garbage filler)

There are plenty of side stories to tell, and there is potential for plenty of good ones.
It's just that finishing on book 5 would put this anime in AOTY top 10 2014 for plenty of people.( if it wasn't already )

cnet128

Banned
Sekai Seifuku 2

For me, it's not really even about the health risks. I mean, when people are smoking in my vicinity, I'm not thinking "oh my god these people are going to give me cancer". I'm thinking "I wish these people would stop killing themselves with a disgusting habit, but if they really want to keep at it, could they at least do it somewhere where I don't have to suffer the godawful stench?" The fact that it actually causes some measure of harm to other people's health as well as being a public nuisance is just adding insult to injury.

I'm not making out that smoking is one of the world's greatest problems or anything, it's just one that I personally find irritating.

wsippel

Banned
Saying that there are more important things to take care about is a poor way to dodge the problem. You have to start somewhere. Coming from me who have health problems , this way of thinking is just rude and ignorant.
Second hand smoke is harmfull to anyone that is in the vicinity. That was proven by various reasearches.
Telling others to "do something else instead" , is an argument that is void.. the problem is still there.
A lot of that research is highly dubious. You have a tiny bit of smoke over a long period of time diluted in vast amounts of air. It can be a problem if you're in a confined space with bad ventilation and several smokers, but there's pretty much no impact whatsoever from passing a smoker on the street. A passing car should worry you a lot more, especially if it's an old Diesel. So the obvious solution is to not visit places where smokers congregate, just like I don't visit restaurants that serve fish because I can't stand the smell.

While it might be a tiny problem, it simply isn't a fight worth fighting. Smoking already became so rare that it's just time to stop. Worry about fast food, processed food, old cars and cars with big engines first, all that stuff is at least as harmful and everybody would benefit from getting rid of it.

And you know, as a smoker, the constant bitching and moaning when smoking is already banned nearly everywhere is also rude and ignorant. I don't even visit bars and restaurants anymore because most don't have smoking sections or people bitch even if I smoke in a designated area.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 50

'Murica.

I can understand Mizuki leaving, cause she was getting more and more like "fuck this shit" as time went on. I don't know what she's doing now besides "walking her own path" and such though. New season might tell. Or she won't appear for a while while she just does whatever.

Teary goodbyes are never easy to watch for me.

cnet128

Banned
And you know, as a smoker, the constant bitching and moaning when smoking is already banned nearly everywhere is also rude and ignorant. I don't even visit bars and restaurants anymore because most don't have smoking sections or people bitch even if I smoke in a designated area.

Now this is a fair point. Most of the world has, thankfully, taken a sensible attitude to smoking and got rid of it from most public spaces, so it doesn't bother me that much in my daily life and I wouldn't generally go out of my way to complain.

Sadly, though, Japan is distinctly behind the rest of the world in this area, and smoking is still a massive thing there that's practically impossible to avoid. So complaining about it in Japan seems justified to me.

(Oh, and there are the people who insist on smoking right outside the front doors to my office building here in Germany every day despite the no-smoking signs that the people in charge eventually gave up even trying to enforce, and despite the fact that there's a designated smoking area just around the other side of the building. But that's just a personal gripe ~.~)

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 5

So there really isn't much of a sense of scale when it comes to the size of Arm Slaves. Officially an Arm Slave is about twice the size of a Knightmare Frame and half the size of a Mobile Suit, but again, the scale is sort of all out of whack. Last episode, when we see the RK92 Savages for the first time it looks about the size of a Knightmare, in that a grown man comes up to the height of a Savage's knee. In this episode, though, it's much closer to a Mobile Suit, since Kaname fits perfectly into its hand, and the dimensions of the Savage are approximately identical to the RX 78-2 Gundam. Personally, I like to think that ASes are about the same height as MSes in Wing, meaning they're slightly shorter than the average MS. I suppose SRWZ3 will clear it up once and for all, but in my head, that's how it is.

In this episode, Gauron says that the Lambda Driver, once fully mastered, will render the nuclear weapon obsolete. This is actually pretty important since
use of the Lambda Driver against a Nuclear Weapon does happen in the plot.

Also delicious mecha battle all up in here.

I'm sorry for complaining that your bad habit could be potentially lethal to me.

You know what pisses me off about some smokers? Their selfishness. The amount of times I have seen idiots driving and smoking with their kids in the back is really unfortunate.

I remember going to a friends house once and it stank of cigarette smoke. At least have the common sense to do that shit outside. Oh he had a 1 year old sister at the time. I was too scared to say anything to his parents though since I was like 15 and I had just met them. My friend just shrugged it off as well thinking it was okay if it was just once in a "while".

There was also this time recently, where I went with my family to this really nice pub. My younger sister has a quite acute case of asthma and this guy on the table next to us was chain smoking even though smoking is now illegal in doors. I confronted him and he gives me the finger. Man I was so pissed. I don't usually condone violence but I felt like swinging at his face. eventually we told the barmaid who called the manager and forced him to leave.

I have no idea what this has to do with anime though.

A lot of that research is highly dubious. You have a tiny bit of smoke over a long period of time diluted in vast amounts of air. It can be a problem if you're in a confined space with bad ventilation and several smokers, but there's pretty much no impact whatsoever from passing a smoker on the street. A passing car should worry you a lot more, especially if it's an old Diesel. So the obvious solution is to not visit places where smokers congregate, just like I don't visit restaurants that serve fish because I can't stand the smell.
First , sorry but there are research made on all continents pointing at the same results and the only counter arguments are made from the companies making cigarettes themselves.
Heck most of the companies themselves are aware of the risk. There is nothing dubious when internal documents are themselves talking about the issue.
Second , as someone who have health problem i do have a problem when i'm near a person on the street smoking. does that mean that i shoudln't get out of my house ?
Third the comparaison between cigarette smoke and car smoke is only valid in certain cases because their componds are differents.
Don't get me wrong , both are harmfull but they are different. For the old diesel cars , there is a reason why some countries are trying to encourage people to change their cars or some have maluses ( this is the case in my country ). Again the issue is there , and not doing anything about it is dumb when you know that there is a problem.
While it might be a tiny problem, it simply isn't a fight worth fighting. Smoking already became so rare that it's just time to stop. Worry about fast food, processed food, old cars and cars with big engines first, all that stuff is at least as harmful and everybody would benefit from getting rid of it.

And there is it. the reason why i wrote up earlier.
I don't get what isn't worth fighting. people are fighting because they are inconvenienced.Not because they want to annoy smokers , we are already annoyed.
Telling people to worry about something else instead is ridiculous.
First , it doesn't change the current problem
Second , even if i worried about fast food , for exemple , the people defending fast food would tell me " why don't you worry about cigarette smoke ?"
Third , fast food when you eat it , you inconvenience yourself. You're not annoying someone when you eat a hamburger, there are no lasting effects on your vicinity. The total opposite of second hand smoke.

You can still smoke , as long as you don't inconvenience others.. this is true regardless of your are in a restaurant or anywhere else. If the restaurant doesn't have a smoking area , then just use a restaurant that does have one , or smoke a cigarette outside the restaurant .. you're acting as if you don't have any alternatives when you do have some and you're in the context ignoring all the people who care about smoking and them too want to enjoy a space without being inconvenienced by cigarette smoke.

You know what pisses me off about some smokers? There selfishness. The amount of times I have seen idiots driving and smoking with their kids in the back is really unfortunate.

I remember going to a friends house once and it stank of cigarette smoke. At least have the common sense to do that shit outside. Oh he had a 1 year old sister at the time. I was too scared to say anything to his parents though since I was like 15 and I had just met them. My friend just shrugged it off as well thinking it was okay if it was just once in a "while".

I have no idea what this has to do with anime though.

Today's episode of World Conquest features an anti-smoking crusade.

wsippel

Banned
Now this is a fair point. Most of the world has, thankfully, taken a sensible attitude to smoking and got rid of it from most public spaces, so it doesn't bother me that much in my daily life and I wouldn't generally go out of my way to complain.

Sadly, though, Japan is distinctly behind the rest of the world in this area, and smoking is still a massive thing there that's practically impossible to avoid. So complaining about it in Japan seems justified to me.

(Oh, and there are the people who insist on smoking right outside the front doors to my office building here in Germany every day despite the no-smoking signs that the people in charge eventually gave up even trying to enforce, and despite the fact that there's a designated smoking area just around the other side of the building. But that's just a personal gripe ~.~)
The thing is: On the street, it doesn't really matter. In bars, restaurants and clubs, it was always up to the owners (and it still is that way in Japan) - it doesn't really require any laws. Nobody has the right to visit a bar, and every owner has the right not to serve certain guests. If the owners of such establishments believed it made sense from a business standpoint to ban smoking, they'd have done so already. But they didn't, because it doesn't make sense. As we've seen in Germany, according to bar owners, people who don't smoke also drink less on average, while smokers tend to smoke more when they drink, so now smokers stay at home and only the non-smokers who generate less revenue visit bars. The owners lost and their best customers lost, and only the people the bar owners didn't really care about in the first place won. Or not, because many bars had to raise their prices or close shop. The whole thing backfired.

Narag

True that. Dojima in P4's got that hardboiled look made with his six packs a day. Shame Nanako won't have a father by the time she's sixteen, though.
chances are she makes him quit anyway

Sanji from One Piece is so cool when he's got a cig hanging from his lips. /swoon

Branduil

Sekai Seifuku 3

So does Okamura have a massive thing against smokers? I didn't think about when I thought of November 11 from Darker than Black but now it feels like he's sort of pushing his ideals with this episode. I hope this doesn't happen again, because I loved the first two episodes and I don't want it to be ruined by Okamura jerking himself off.

Darker than Black also had a contractor whose remuneration was eating cigarettes because her kid choked to death on one, LOL.

So it's been a while since I watched a good romance, and I heard good things about this one so I decided to give it a go.

Ef- A Tale of Memories - 1

What was up with the filters with those two when they were on the beach? It changed so often I was getting Plumbers Don't Wear Ties flashbacks.

I don't know what it is, but the way this episode was presented just felt...off. Like, I feel like I missed something going into this. Hopefully some context will be revealed in the next few episodes or so.

wsippel

Banned
Second , as someone who have health problem i do have a problem when i'm near a person on the street smoking. does that mean that i shoudln't get out of my house ?
You could just leave your house and keep some distance from smokers?

The thing with second hand smoke, and the reason most studies are nonsense, is because they don't actually test real world scenarios. Yes, second hand smoke contains much higher doses of potentially carcinogenic and/ or toxic substances than what is inhaled, but that smoke isn't directly inhaled by anyone. It gets diluted in huge amounts of air, a tiny fraction of which is inhaled as second hand smoke by the smoker himself, and even less by people in the vicinity. In an open space, the doses are so fucking tiny that it's almost impossible to measure them two meters away. We're talking a few nanograms over a span of six to eight minutes diluted in many cubic meters of air. That's borderline homeopathic.

Future Card BuddyFight - Episode 4

This episode decided finally to explain this game. It makes sense...sort of, maybe I'm not into this card game shtick but really they should have explained it in the first episode instead of doing it now.

They even decided to include the crazy cast of Bushiroad's other Card Game Anime. Their Magnum Opus CardFight!! Vanguard. They didn't do very much and were basically there to make Vanguard's fanbase happy.

The bad guy in this is absolutely hilarious, his buddy looks like they mixed Dragon Ball Z with Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin and then because this is BuddyFight add loads of drills because drills are menacing.

I'm looking forward to this show getting serious because I can already tell it will terribly.

Also in this episode...FanGao. Bet you any money the fanbase for this will call themselves that!

Buddy Count: 53

cnet128

Banned
The thing is: On the street, it doesn't really matter. In bars, restaurants and clubs, it was always up to the owners (and it still is that way in Japan) - it doesn't really require any laws. Nobody has the right to visit a bar, and every owner has the right not to serve certain guests. If the owners of such establishment believed it made sense from a business standpoint to ban smoking, they'd have done so already. But they didn't, because it doesn't make sense. As we've seen in Germany, according to bar owners, people who don't smoke also drink less on average, while smokers tend to smoke more when they drink, so now smokers stay at home and only the non-smokers who generate less revenue visit bars. The owners lost and their best customers lost, and only the people the bar owners didn't really care about in the first place won. Or not, because many bars had to raise their prices or close shop. The whole thing backfired.

Sounds like a reasonable sacrifice to make as a step towards the ultimate goal that we should be aiming for of eliminating smoking as a habit altogether. The more inconvenient it becomes to be a smoker, the fewer people are going to make the silly decision to start in the first place, so society as a whole wins in the end. Except the cigarette manufacturers, and really, who's got anything good to say about them?

That's the problem with the "it should be up to the owner of the establishment" argument, really. Because most of the time the owner of the establishment is going to just do whatever is more profitable, which means following societal trends. So in the end if we don't regulate it, we're leaving it up to society as a whole to do the right thing of its own accord, and society doesn't always fix itself. Sometimes it needs to be nudged in the right direction. Hard.

I mean, hell, I'd say it would be a pretty nice idea to just ban smoking outright if it weren't for the little issue of people being physically addicted to it already.

(And hey, if big smokers are also big drinkers, maybe giving them a reason to stay out of bars is a plus as well, since it's not like "drinking a lot" is the greatest habit in the world either.)

Jarmel

Banned
The thing is: On the street, it doesn't really matter. In bars, restaurants and clubs, it was always up to the owners (and it still is that way in Japan) - it doesn't really require any laws. Nobody has the right to visit a bar, and every owner has the right not to serve certain guests. If the owners of such establishments believed it made sense from a business standpoint to ban smoking, they'd have done so already. But they didn't, because it doesn't make sense. As we've seen in Germany, according to bar owners, people who don't smoke also drink less on average, while smokers tend to smoke more when they drink, so now smokers stay at home and only the non-smokers who generate less revenue visit bars. The owners lost and their best customers lost, and only the people the bar owners didn't really care about in the first place won. Or not, because many bars had to raise their prices or close shop. The whole thing backfired.

Well in the United States, especially New York, the smoking ban has been pretty beneficial. There has been a significant decrease in second hand smoke and no negative financial impact on businesses.

survivor

Banned
Does the Silver Spoon anime improve on the source material or is it just a straightforward adaptation? Since I already read the manga I'm wondering if it's worth checking it out or if I should just tackle something else from the backlog.

Aikatsu! 50

'Murica.

I can understand Mizuki leaving, cause she was getting more and more like "fuck this shit" as time went on. I don't know what she's doing now besides "walking her own path" and such though. New season might tell. Or she won't appear for a while while she just does whatever.

Teary goodbyes are never easy to watch for me.

Well!

wonzo

Banned
Does the Silver Spoon anime improve on the source material or is it just a straightforward adaptation? Since I already read the manga I'm wondering if it's worth checking it out or if I should just tackle something else from the backlog.
It's mostly a straightforward adaptation with some minor changes here and there. It's still pretty good even if you have read the manga but it'd probably be better to just tackle the backlog and come back to it some other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom