• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

My brain would hurt trying to decide the top 10 out of all my favorites.

Here's mine to break the ice. :)

(In no particular order)

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Azumanga Daioh
Whisper of the Heart
Nodame Cantabile
Princess Mononoke
Summer Wars
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Kamichu
Great Teacher Onizuka
Planetes

Clevinger

Samurai Flamenco 8-10

eyRJXEI.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
It looks spiffy, plus the words "2D Mecha" sell it.

I still feel guilty for going "aw hell na a Square Enix anime na na na" so I need to get in on it eventually.

Honestly, you might like it more than I did the first time I watched it. Looking back, I wonder if I was overly critical of it. I really hadn't watched any clip shows before other than SEED so some of the reused footage irked me a lot. Also now that I've seen some truly terrible shows, I'm sure I would like it more. I probably still wouldn't 'like' it persay but I probably would have a much better impression of it. This show had some really phenomenal climax episodes.

I wish the movie was available subtitled as that almost certainly would be the best experience available.

Gazoinks

There has been a lot of top ten topics as of late and the lists are quite unique and varied. So it made me curious and think, what are you guys' top ten favourite anime series/films?

I'm not sure if I can come up with an ordered list, but some of my favorite stuff includes:
-Steins;Gate
-Fate/Zero
-Baccano!
-Princess Mononoke
-Cowboy Bebop
-Michiko to Hatchin
-The Tatami Galaxy
-Revolutionary Girl Utena

Wolf Children could very well end up on this list, but I want to give it more time to gestate. :p

Samurai Flamenco 8-10]

weZqzuG.gif

and as to my top 10, I'll try to give this list but it might be updated as I may have forgotten a show here and there that would probably be ranked higher.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Gintama
3. Fate Zero
4. Berserk (any media, movies if they continue)
5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
6. Black Lagoon
7. Samurai Champloo
8. Steins Gate
9. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
10. Baccano!

This isn't definitive except for the first three. In fact if I had done top 25 some of you might shake your head as Attack on Titan would be on there.

There has been a lot of top ten topics as of late and the lists are quite unique and varied. So it made me curious and think, what are you guys' top ten favourite anime series/films?
Something like:
  • Hidamari Sketch
    [*]Sora no Woto
    [*]Toradora
    [*]K-ON!!
    [*]The Tatami Galaxy
    [*]Haibane Renmei
    [*]Nanoha A's
    [*]Azumanga Daioh
    [*]Katanagatari
    [*]Mushishi

Tenumi

Banned
There is no way I'd be able to create such a top 10 list. Impossible. I would never be able to sort any of it without some sort of doubt or disappointment from myself.

Jarmel

Banned
Top 10 for me, I guess.

-Patlabor OVAs
-Full Metal Panic
-Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
-Eureka Seven
-Cowboy Bebop
-Fate/Zero
-Baccano
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Sword of the Stranger
-Seto no Hanayome

Syrinx

Will save individual rankings for if there's ever another GOAT anime thread, but for now, probably...

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Kino's Journey
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fruits Basket
Princess Tutu
Cardcaptor Sakura
Steins;Gate
Ouran High School Host Club

Still a ton of stuff I need to watch though.

Also it's times like this I had a MAL or something just to make sure there isn't something I'm completely forgetting.

Edit: only TV series. Haven't really seen enough movies to create another list for them.

It's okay because 8 ended up being S;G, which is one of my favorite shows anyway!

HRGH. I keep forgetting I still need to watch After Story. I'll start it up once I finish Rozen Maiden 2013.

Yeah I'm saving up the Steins Gate movie for a good time. Maybe tomorrow. Can't wait it's gonna be good.

As to AS, you really should. Especially since the highlight of the series is the post-graduation stuff and that doesn't happen till like 10 episodes into AS.

Also what's Utena? Is it worth watching if I don't care much for shoujo?

In no particularly order and excluding films because that'd take me way too long to consider:

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Cowboy Bebop
SDF Macross
FMA Brotherhood
Hajime no Ippo
Rahxephon
Nodame Cantabile
Fate/Zero
Hyouka
Cross Game
Big Windup!
Minami Ke

That's 12 actually, and I'm probably forgetting some things.

jman2050

Quick top 10 off the top of my head, no particular order, subject to change considering I may be overcompensating for recency bias here.

- Cowboy Bebop
- Urusei Yatsura
- Azumanga Daioh
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Toradora
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- Princess Tutu
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Tenchi Muyo OVA 1 & 2
- Special nostagia slot for Dragonball Z because I just rewatched a large chunk with my brothers recently and I can confirm that I never get tired of watching this show.

cajunator

Banned
Here's mine to break the ice. :)

(In no particular order)

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Azumanga Daioh
Whisper of the Heart
Nodame Cantabile
Princess Mononoke
Summer Wars
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Kamichu
Great Teacher Onizuka
Planetes

Right now I would rank them (not including movies)

Haibane renmei
Kinos journey
Madoka magica
Chihayafuru
Gunsmith Cats
Welcome to the nhk
Steins;Gate
twelve Kingdoms
Magic Knight Rayearth
Escaflowne
Actually..Hidamari needs to be there somewhere.
Shit this is hard.

CorvoSol

Don't quote me on this, but something tells me you enjoy mecha shows

What? I've never heard that kind of nonsense!

Honestly, you might like it more than I did the first time I watched it. Looking back, I wonder if I was overly critical of it. I really hadn't watched any clip shows before other than SEED so some of the reused footage irked me a lot. Also now that I've seen some truly terrible shows, I'm sure I would like it more. I probably still wouldn't 'like' it persay but I probably would have a much better impression of it. This show had some really phenomenal climax episodes.

I wish the movie was available subtitled as that almost certainly would be the best experience available.

Well, no telling till I see it, I guess.

Top 10 for me, I guess.

-Patlabor OVAs
-Full Metal Panic
-Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
-Eureka Seven
-Cowboy Bebop
-Fate/Zero
-Baccano
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Sword of the Stranger
-Seto no Hanayome

AW YISS

survivor

Banned

The Tatami Galaxy
Trapeze
Mononoke
Planetes
Kaiji
5 Centimeters per Second
Only Yesterday
Spirited Away

Something like this. Need 2 more for full top 10, but too hard to even bother.

strike witches
strike witches 2
vivdred operation
saki
saki side A
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job.
OreImo
School Days
Colorful
Idol M@ster

Gazoinks

Yeah I'm saving up the Steins Gate movie for a good time. Maybe tomorrow. Can't wait it's gonna be good.

As to AS, you really should. Especially since the highlight of the series is the post-graduation stuff and that doesn't happen till like 10 episodes into AS.

Also what's Utena? Is it worth watching if I don't care much for shoujo?

Yeah. I took a break from Clannad before AS and then got distracted by something or other and forgot about it. :p

As for Utena. Yeah, it's a shoujo show, but it's more of a surrealist deconstruction. You do however have to have a tolerance for mindscrew and at times having no idea what's going on, but it comes together nicely. I'd definitely recommend it, and reading blind reactions to it is good fun.

strike witches
strike witches 2
vivdred operation
saki
saki side A
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job.
OreImo
School Days
Colorful
Idol M@ster

Pretty sure there is a theme here , and i can see the logic behind this list ..but i'm not even sure witch is the prevalent theme when i have to see this list as a whole.

Cute girls with decent fanservice ?

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- K-On!
- Chihayafuru
- Girls Und Panzer
- Hanamaru Kindergarten

That's at least a top five. Those are a "for sure" on my list. Problem is I've watched so much in such a short amount of time that a lot of times I'll watch something, say "yeah, I really liked this!" and then I'd watch something immediately after that and like it too and so there ends up being a lot of stuff I enjoyed, but those five are the things that really "stick out" in my mind.

Narag

Yamato 2199 - 26 FIN

Tears were shed.

===

Lovely, lovely series. Expected to like it but not this much. Don't really have much in the way of criticism save for wishing the Garmillians had a chance for more screentime to better round out the political machinations and whatnot. Time to slide this in at #1 in my future AOTY voting post.

Tenumi

Banned
Clannad/After Story probably will continue to remain my number one favorite series, despite my inability to create a list. I really liked Nagisa, and I'll admit, I cried at times.

Nagisa, still my favorite character. Clannad, still my favorite show. And yet, I refuse to rewatch the show. Too much emotions and energy to relive...

CorvoSol

If the best girl wins, it just means they were never the best girl all along. You were deceived.

I'm pretty confident that Lynn Minmay was not the best girl in Macross.

Full Metal Panic! 10

Lots of character details about Tessa in this episode.
She has an older brother who is smarter than her, protective of her, and made their relationship unhealthy. Tessa is also confirmed as Caucasian (she is, after all, an American), and her Christianity is hinted at (though it doesn't really become more obvious until later on in the series and doesn't figure as much into her character.)

Meanwhile, Kaname botches the entire operation in basically every single way possible. This is important because
one day in the future Sousuke is going to tell her off for basically fucking him over EVERY SINGLE TIME he has ever tried to save her life.

Mature

Mine probably changes routinely.

In no particular order:
-Cowboy Bebop
-Akira
-FLCL
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Macross Plus
-Ghost in the Shell
-Memories
-Trigun
-Detective Conan
-Spirited Away

A pretty typical list, but it's the truth!

Right now I would rank them (not including movies)

Haibane renmei
Kinos journey
Madoka magica
Chihayafuru
Gunsmith Cats
Welcome to the nhk
Steins;Gate
twelve Kingdoms
Magic Knight Rayearth
Escaflowne
Actually..Hidamari needs to be there somewhere.
Shit this is hard.

Taking note of this...the bolded I haven't seen yet. I definitely trust your taste :D.

It's true. I haven't watched that much anime romance, because a lot of the tropes many of them use get on my nerves. I'll check out Kokoro sometime.

Nah bro you gotta watch Kokoro now. What type of bet is it you'll like it? Why it's a
DHx52Fz.gif

SAFE! bet.

If the best girl wins, it just means they were never the best girl all along. You were deceived.

Sounds like tears of a best girl enthusiast crushed.

Mine in no perticular order although this is just TV/OVA:

- Trigun
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Fist of the North Star
- Moyashimon
- Space Brothers
- Sgt. Keroro
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Movies get their own list to themselves:

- My Neighbour Totoro
- Wolf Children
- Metropolis
- Paprika
- One Piece Film Z
- Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie 1/2
- Summer Wars
- Tokyo Godfathers

Taking note of this...the bolded I haven't seen yet. I definitely trust your taste :D.

Twelve kingdoms is a unique flavor of anime fantasy. It's clearly great.
Rayearth is an anime that we don't have often these days , also high quality.

Can't really go wrong with those if you want fantasy-like entertainment.

1. Free!
2. Blast of Tempest
3. Phi Brain Puzzle of God
4. Guilty Crown
5. K
6. This Boy Can Fight Aliens
7. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
8. Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of The East
9. Cardfight!! Vanguard
10. Durarara!!

Well... arbitrarily:

-Baccano!