• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Casshews Sins 24: Nut'in else in the World. aka END

XVmzCqC.gif

SRvLqvr.gif

i15VYJ3.png

I need a drink

Aria the Origination 4

Honestly, as much as I adore the main cast I think there should have been way more episodes featuring undine from outside of it. It was pretty fresh knowing that there are other undine who struggle to be promoted or what they want to do as a career.

Also surprise Kana Asumi hnnnnng, and Ryoko Shiraishi voicing a tomboy unf unf.

CorvoSol

Casshews Sins 24: Nut'in else in the World. aka END

I need a drink

Cheeriest show I ever did see.

Full Metal Panic! 21

The infamous fire drill. I think the problem that people have with this is in assuming that Gauron did it to prevent other SRT members from invading the bridge. This assumes, first of all, that Gauron has a set plan, which one can never really be sure he does, given the sheer amount of good fortune he has from the get go in finding Kaname as a hostage right off the bat. Kalinin says that Gauron is a guy who makes damn certain that he's going to stay alive, but the problem with this is that Kalinin happens to be wrong about a LOT of things and people overlook it because he seems like a smart, reasonable guy. To wit, Kalinin is wrong about
Sousuke being completely professional and putting his feelings after the objective, Gauron's desire to survive above everything else, and basically Leonard's entire worldview.
In fact, Kalinin's being wrong about things is sort of a big deal, since
his being wrong about the Soviet Union is what caused Sousuke to be a killing machine, what cost him his wife, and his being wrong about Sophia is what will ultimately cost him his life. The one time he is right, that Sousuke won't kill him, it is only because of how wrong he was in initially assuming that Sousuke would put objectives above feelings.

Assuming Gauron did have a plan here, though, I think his endgame in sealing the bulkheads is made clearer when he oxygenates the hangar. Gauron says "we're not supposed to kill Chidori, but we might." In the same vein, blowing up the hangar while they're underwater would be catastrophic, but he doesn't mind if it happens. Survival and completion of his mission would be lovely, but hey, if neither of those pans out, oh well. That's the kind of guy that Gauron really is. He's in it to kill, to maim, and to hurt, and the money and the objectives of his employer are hardly as important to him as those.

Anyway, Sousuke angsts it up this episode and shows us that Sousuke on Angst is basically a Gundam protagonist. Except that unlike most Gundam Protagonists, Sousuke actually gets called out on ALL his bullshit in one go by Kurz.

Maison Ikkoku - 51~60

And there goes Mr. 3, when is someone with 2 in the name going to appear to use room 2?
It's been four years already hmmm. Episode 52 was pretty nice, Kyoko has just been living her life without giving to much thought about things, but at least she had time to get a grip of what is happening and is going to happen with her and talk about this with Souichirou-san and acknowledged she'll forget him sometime.
What!? Godai-sensei! Godai-sensei! I think I slept in the end of the last episode, this came from nowhere.
Only a man who knows no shame would marry a high school girl? Right manager? Right Godai-kun?
U9todF4.jpg

Godai-kun...mind explaining yourself?
I knew it was comming but I still laughed.
All the shit going between Kyoko, Godai, Mitaka and Asuna...after watching episode 60 I want to know what is going to happen...japanese and their misunderstandings!

cajunator

Banned
For one episode.

Usagi in the anime is a character who is a relatively normal girl--albeit big-hearted and tomboyish from a Japanese perspective--that just happens to have the full weight of destiny bearing down on her. This does not mean that she grows or wins by default or circumstance, but she grows and develops as a character simply because that's what she has to do to keep going. As the anime goes on she also matures overall although she still remains the comedic lead of the show. Who she was in a past life affords her some degree of power, but also a shitload of responsibility that she wasn't quite prepared for and in the latter part of S1 she balks at it. It's not until the events of R does she begin to fully accept that part of herself. After all, the entire anime ends on an affirmation that she is Sailor Moon.

As for how the Inners play in, the manga and live action series note that they are Princess Serenity's royal guard, with Venus ranking first and Mars second. They might be criticized as being ultimately useless if you were being unkind, but it's not for lack of trying and they go well out of their way to help even if it puts their lives at stake. The Outers were meant to be more frontline personnel, and thus the tension between their own stated mission and actually caring about what goes on back at home as it were.

To compare these character arcs to somebody who gets dropped in at max-level already is specious.

Ill just leave this to you because you know a lot more about Sailor moon than me. Ive seen s1 and the very end of Stars but thats it.

cnet128

Banned
Best OP this season goes to.......

Space Dandy!!

followed by Inari Kon Kon.

Space Dandy's is probably the best of the season, yeah. I think I'd put Mikakunin's above Inari's, though.

Guys is Madoka worth trying if I have never liked anything magical girl?
(Well besides Sailor Moon back in the Toonami days)

Yes.

Nobunagun 4

That was a cool action episode. Shio and Jack make a pretty good team despite not exactly getting on too well, huh.

Also Shio is adorable, but I think that goes without saying at this point.

survivor

Banned
Evangelion 9

I can't tell if the fight at the end with the synchronized Evas was too silly that it's stupid or awesome, but it was something different alright. Anyway I'm really not a fan of the Asuka-Shinji comedic hijinks. I guess they need to somehow show that placing your hopes on kids pilots is a dumb idea and will backfire eventually, but god Asuka is an awful character. I wish we would go back to the psychologically fucked up Shinji from the first 2 episodes, I want to see more mental drawbacks from these fights with the Angels.

CorvoSol

SDBurton
World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
(Today, 04:38 PM)

f7uMlLe.gif

Madoka and LAN? C'mon. Everybody knows Muginami is the better girl.

Full Metal Panic! 22

This episode is really great for Tessa, but only once you realize how completely she's played Gauron. Tessa's chief advantage is that no one ever expects her to be who she really is. As in people see Teletha Testarossa, 16 year old American girl, bleeding heart, completely out of her league, total klutz who shouldn't be playing in the world of big, scary, men. What this means is everybody overlooks the fact that Tessa is in fact 1) A supergenius whose hilarious intellect rivals the main villain of the series, 2) A competent sea captain despite her lack of experience and 3) While generally one of the most compassionate characters in the series, nobody, and I mean nobody is as vicious, ruthless, and cold as Tessa when she's got her back to the wall. So Tessa hams it up this episode, pretending to be a little girl who can't do jack shit to defend her boat and all the while the noose slips round Gauron's neck.

Which is the other side of the coin. Gauron is a lethal killing machine, but he's not a genius, and he is very much so out of his league on Tessa's own boat. It's not his field of expertise, and it shows.

Oh, and Kaname and Sousuke make up and the basis of their romance is finally laid out for the rest of the show: both of them save each other. Sousuke has as much of a rescue romance for her as she does him.
Of course the fact that Kaname constantly ruins Sousuke's attempts to save her comes back in a big way later on.

Guys is Madoka worth trying if I have never liked anything magical girl?
(Well besides Sailor Moon back in the Toonami days)

I can't care for magical girls at all and I loved it. Though do not judge the show until episode 4 onward. The rest of the show is what it's meant to be while the first three are the set-up for a magical girl show then

BOOM
1VtQS5m.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Origination 4
Honestly, as much as I adore the main cast I think there should have been way more episodes featuring undine from outside of it. It was pretty fresh knowing that there are other undine who struggle to be promoted or what they want to do as a career.

Also surprise Kana Asumi hnnnnng, and Ryoko Shiraishi voicing a tomboy unf unf.
I think the picture dramas should be all over the web, but there's an Origination picture drama that basically stars the three girls from this episode.

----
Dokidoki Precure
H2v4HjPl.jpg

I will say, thinking about wrestling booking for a moment, I just realized that the WWE writing room is basically the same as the Precure writing room. You have the same squash matches before the championship match where the Face gets all the power and then wins the belt. I suppose that's actually just the basic shounen arc as well, but it's just funny to think about how universal the Face-squash really is.

The other weird thing is just how it ends with everyone knowing what a Precure is and a link between the two worlds. I feel like that's gotta be a first, and even though the movies all seem to place the Precures in the same universe, I assume that the idea of Precures just revealing themselves to the public is just going to be an invention of this iteration of the franchise.

---

Nobunagun
k0MXwOSl.jpg

They're coming after darkside!

I will say, as stupid as this show is, I actually find the parts where Nobunaga shows up and presumably says something that he actually said in real life hilariously entertaining.

----
Dokidoki Precure
H2v4HjPl.jpg

I will say, thinking about wrestling booking for a moment, I just realized that the WWE writing room is basically the same as the Precure writing room. You have the same squash matches before the championship match where the Face gets all the power and then wins the belt. I suppose that's actually just the basic shounen arc as well, but it's just funny to think about how universal the Face-squash really is.

The other weird thing is just how it ends with everyone knowing what a Precure is and a link between the two worlds. I feel like that's gotta be a first, and even though the movies all seem to place the Precures in the same universe, I assume that the idea of Precures just revealing themselves to the public is just going to be an invention of this iteration of the franchise.

Fresh Precure for the first part. Link Between Two Worlds... sure.

Seeing Corvo's rewatch posts of FMP is making me want to pick up FMP again where I left off. I can't remember why I dropped that show at episode 7. I guess I just forgot about it? Must have gotten lost in the sea of Gurren Laganns, Gargantias, and other shows that I got hooked on that spring.

I think I'll pick it back up again after I finish plowing through Ef a tale of memories.

NeonZ

Actually, Cures being known publicly is part of Happiness Charge's setting according to some available information. It's probably just a coincidence though, and not actually following up this finale... I think.

So Gatchaman Crowds. What is it exactly? Am I going to be rolling my eyes at moe antics by the protag? Or is it something else? The promotional stuff makes it seem like an action show, but I never know.

Crocodile

So Gatchaman Crowds. What is it exactly? Am I going to be rolling my eyes at moe antics by the protag? Or is it something else? The promotional stuff makes it seem like an action show, but I never know.

It's mostly a commentary on the role of social media in modern day society with aliens thrown in and the occasionally sentai-esque fight scene (they are the minority of the show though). It's not really "moe" but it is certainly "anime" if you get my drift. The main protagonist is a bit of a Mary Sue but she's more likeable than not. I liked it but the ending was incomplete. It also has an OST by Iwasaki (like Noragami, TTGL, etc.) so you'll enjoy it (as would any normal human).

Don't bother with it until you can watch the BD version; the TV version is unfinished.

When is that happening? I want to finish the show off :(

CorvoSol

Nah, Madoka and Lan are indeed the OTP of Rinne, though Muginami is always acceptable for triangle goodness.

You just don't like Muginami as much 'cuz she hooks up with Googlevideo, huh?

Seeing Corvo's rewatch posts of FMP is making me want to pick up FMP again where I left off. I can't remember why I dropped that show at episode 7. I guess I just forgot about it? Must have gotten lost in the sea of Gurren Laganns, Gargantias, and other shows that I got hooked on that spring.

I think I'll pick it back up again after I finish plowing through Ef a tale of memories.

I love FMP. A ton. The first season's animation is really Gonzo, but the switch to KyoAni after that sees a great boost, and The Second Raid is my favorite anime period. I really dig the plot, and the mecha are among my favorite designs, too. Show will forever be my absolute fave.

Full Metal Panic! 23

Frickin' Tessa is so badass in this episode. Her plan comes together, causing Gauron's to crash down on itself, and she has this crazy ass grin on her face despite all the blood running down from her nose. Gauron loses his shit and fires a spray of bullets at her, all coming within inches of her head and she doesn't so much as flinch, because this is the real Tessa, the hard-nosed, badass, balls of steel Tessa who will wreck your shit in a maritime battle.

Next episode is Sousuke's final showdown with Gauron
in a mech, anyway!
Gauron calls Sousuke "honey" in this episode and boy does he increase the freakish declarations of love as the show comes to a close. I think a lot of what happens in next episode really cements how Gauron's character has to be viewed forever after. Especially
in The Second Raid.

cnet128

Banned
I would instead suggest watching Day Break Illusion, which is a more refined and focused take on the Madoka Formula but offering a superior ost, excellent antagonist, and great visuals.

oh god don't do this

Space Dandy 4

Proving once and for all what the world already knew: that everything is better with
zombies
, and even more so with
robot zombies

Also, how many more episodes are we going to have in which
the whole crew ends up dead? XD Meow in particular has only survived one out of four episodes so far, I believe... >.>

Narag

Space Dandy 4

Proving once and for all what the world already knew: that everything is better with
zombies
, and even more so with
robot zombies

Also, how many more episodes are we going to have in which
the whole crew ends up dead? XD Meow in particular has only survived one out of four episodes so far, I believe... >.>

If missing out on your one chance to taste the world's greatest ramen can be called living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom