• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nisekoi 3

Onodera da bes. Chitoge also maybe sort of cute sometimes.

Can I just use that as my impression post for every episode?

Chitoge grows on ya after a while, wonder how much of the manga this show will go through. Still waiting on
Seishirou Tsugumi & Marika Tachibana
to show up

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Currently doing my Doki!Doki! Precure marathon and came across this during episode 34:

d3AKfjS.png

I remember some other scenes in previous episodes, but this was just too much. :lol

BluWacky

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 1

Charming. Maybe not much else, but I don't generally find many of these gentle high school shows to be particularly charming because I don't find the characters very believable, whereas here I didn't seem to have that problem.

Space Dandy 2-4

Episode 4 is easily the best ep so far; while I don't think the show going full Excel Saga/Abenobashi is really the way forward, the spin on the genre in the second half of the episode was immensely entertaining and had the occasional laugh out loud line (particularly the
"inexplicable urge to go to the mall"
one). The dry humour laced throughout the episode is so rare in anime, and it even turns Dandy's usual pervert foibles into something amusing. The Dr Gel scenes were more entertaining than usual, too!

Now that I'm settling into the show's groove I think I'm enjoying it more; Meow has become less obnoxious as the show continues to dump on him from a great height, QT is always good fun, and I can tolerate the fact that Dandy is a useless pervert because he's so well characterised (even if he's exactly the kind of lead character I can't normally stand). The inventiveness of the animation and art certainly helps.

Kill la Kill 15

Show is so awesome. Mako and Gamagoori OTP? I hope Matoi starts laying the smack-down on people soon.

Engaged to the Unidentified

This is the cajun anime of the season so far.

Chuu2Koi S2 3

New girl better make the plot accelerate. This shit has been going too slowly.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sekai Seifuku 3

I get it, I get it. Smoking is bad. Hell, even as a smoker I'll gladly admit that. But man, was that last line ridiculously heavy handed.

Smokers aren't even human! They have no souls!

Yeesh.

cnet128

Banned
Or listen to any Taku Iwasaki soundtrack until then.

If every anime had a soundtrack composed by Taku Iwasaki and/or the folks responsible for the Xenoblade OST, the world would be a distinctly more wonderful place.

Sekai Seifuku 3

I get it, I get it. Smoking is bad. Hell, even as a smoker I'll gladly admit that. But man, was that last line ridiculously heavy handed.

Yeesh.

They must have come from another planet! Hell, they probably don't even like Mashiro.

*shudders*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gif of the decade!
The original Kanna version is the classic!

On the topic of AOTY I happened to see you guys put up your latest podcast a few days ago. I just gave it a quick listen and at first I thought maybe you had another guest speaker or something but skipping ahead to hear about your number 1 picks, I see it was just a quick sound clip of those Yamato YouTube videos you've talked about,haha.
Yeah, I didn't expect him to pull that clip to use as the teaser. Also the Kotoura OP. lol

Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Encore 3
Oh crap, is this that CG thing that no one watched last season?

Recently, I'm concerned my sister might have a split personality 4

You know, that's actually pretty rational thinking for him.

If us the viewers didn't know about the ghost, then that would've been my guess as well.

Tonari no Seki-kun 4

I wonder how Seki will last in Hikaru no Go

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 16

Some more comedy, as well as some douchebag Takamura scenes... and David Eagle booty...

Apparently Bryan Hawk has been broken due to his beatdown from Takamura.

Sekai Seifuku 3

Yeesh.

Well i think the meaning was that they wanted to smoke so much they stopped being human , they were pushed on the edge , leading to this result.
I don't think this was meant to be taken on the literral sense.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well i think the meaning was that they wanted to smoke so much they stopped being human , they were pushed on the edge , leading to this result.
I don't think this was meant to be taken on the literral sense.

Given how the rest of the episode played out, and the fact that this was apparently not the first time this director (or was it writer?) has done a heavy-handed anti-smoking episode, I'm not so sure about that.

Gazoinks

Apparently a not insignificant amount of people that watch anime don't care about anime opening themes at all. News to me.

I don't skip them, but if it's not one awesome enough to watch I'll usually do something else while it plays. (I watch most of my shows on my computer)

I have been skipping Nobunagun's OP though. :p

Well I tend to skip them after hearing them maybe once or twice. Because it's time wasted.

I'm talking about people who skip them without listening to them even once.

I don't skip them, but if it's not one awesome enough to watch I'll usually do something else while it plays. (I watch most of my shows on my computer)

I have been skipping Nobunagun's OP though. :p

Yeah I can understand not paying attention/not watching bad ones. I mean people who skip them without even hearing them once.

Quasar

Apparently a not insignificant amount of people that watch anime don't care about anime opening themes at all. News to me.

Not news to me, but I care. Care enough to have a dedicated playlist on my phone and enough to get me to buy soundtracks. Though thats as much scores in some cases as songs.

Which of course brings up a gripe. Soundtracks that dont have full versions of songs.

I usually watch most OPs at least once, but I often skip EDs unless the first few seconds catch me or they're otherwise pointed out to me in some other way.

Maybe it's a bad habit, idk...

Gazoinks

I usually watch most OPs at least once, but I often skip EDs unless the first few seconds catch me or they're otherwise pointed out to me in some other way.

Maybe it's a bad habit, idk...

I usually use the ED time to write out AnimeGAF impressions. :D Very few EDs have actually had me watching every time. And Yet The Town Moves comes to mind.

Not news to me, but I care. Care enough to have a dedicated playlist on my phone and enough to get me to buy soundtracks. Though thats as much scores in some cases as songs.

Which of course brings up a gripe. Soundtracks that dont have full versions of songs.

Most soundtracks only have the TV size version of OP/ED songs. To get the full version, you need to get the single for the song you want.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I suppose you're right. In sailor moons case it reLly wasnt. She just cried like a baby until her friends bailed her out.
For one episode.

Usagi in the anime is a character who is a relatively normal girl--albeit big-hearted and tomboyish from a Japanese perspective--that just happens to have the full weight of destiny bearing down on her. This does not mean that she grows or wins by default or circumstance, but she grows and develops as a character simply because that's what she has to do to keep going. As the anime goes on she also matures overall although she still remains the comedic lead of the show. Who she was in a past life affords her some degree of power, but also a shitload of responsibility that she wasn't quite prepared for and in the latter part of S1 she balks at it. It's not until the events of R does she begin to fully accept that part of herself. After all, the entire anime ends on an affirmation that she is Sailor Moon.

As for how the Inners play in, the manga and live action series note that they are Princess Serenity's royal guard, with Venus ranking first and Mars second. They might be criticized as being ultimately useless if you were being unkind, but it's not for lack of trying and they go well out of their way to help even if it puts their lives at stake. The Outers were meant to be more frontline personnel, and thus the tension between their own stated mission and actually caring about what goes on back at home as it were.

To compare these character arcs to somebody who gets dropped in at max-level already is specious.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 20

So Tessa finally explains what the Whispered are
and explains rules which will become very important when facing The Whisperer
, meanwhile Sousuke, Kurz, and Mao, along with the rest of the SRT, head out to fight Gauron in his spiffy new Red Codarl 2. Sousuke's PTSD from the last arc kicks in and things get bad. Especially when the Lambda Driver fails to initialize when they need it most. Sousuke's lack of Spiral Energy being the reason why.

Well I tend to skip them after hearing them maybe once or twice. Because it's time wasted.

Well it depends. I never skip the OP or the ED, because I usually do something real quick like grab a snack or something in the interim (since the episodes autoplay and I don't feel like pausing). Same with the ED.

I do listen to them (and if they're really good, I'll add them to my library), but I never skip them.

Only thing I ever really skip in any show is the previews. I like having the next episode be a surprise.

Geneijin

There's a reason why the term anisongs exist as a music genre of sorts. Two distinct markets.

cnet128

Banned

I never skip an OP or an ED. Ever. Even if I hate it. It just feels like I'm being heretical and not getting the full experience if I do.

I do have a tendency to shift my attention to AnimeGAF during EDs lately, though.

What *is* it? lol

It's a comedy show about four girls in a club whose activity is to joke around thinking up fresh "new ideas" for school clubs.

There's a fairly strict formula that episodes tend to follow: first they bring up the target club of the episode (say, a tennis club), then they discuss the existing tropes and cliches that tend to surround that club in real life, then they discuss the existing tropes and cliches that tend to surround that club in anime/manga, and finally each girl comes up with a bizarre idea to make the club more interesting. Then sometimes at the end of the episode they have a "practical activity" based on that club that is completely ridiculous.

In addition to being fairly meta in the nature of the discussions, since it's all about tropes and cliches, the show is also very prone to meta gags about itself, with the fourth wall often in various states of disrepair, the lyrics and animation of the OP being a parody of generic anime OPs, and in this second season they've started getting really into joking about cost-cutting measures, which results in bizarre animation gags like the one I screenshotted. Last week they spent the whole episode trying to move as little as possible.

cajunator

Banned
I have to mention this: I got the Soranowoto OST in the mail the other day, and it's amazing. It's been a little while since I saw the anime, so I forgot how great the music was.

niiiiice. I have Chihayafuru and Allison and Lillia ones. Worth it.

Kill la Kill 15

Show is so awesome. Mako and Gamagoori OTP? I hope Matoi starts laying the smack-down on people soon.

Engaged to the Unidentified

This is the cajun anime of the season so far.

Chuu2Koi S2 3

New girl better make the plot accelerate. This shit has been going too slowly.

Yeah Mashoiro edges out Kate for squee of the season.

If every anime had a soundtrack composed by Taku Iwasaki and/or the folks responsible for the Xenoblade OST, the world would be a distinctly more wonderful place.

They must have come from another planet! Hell, they probably don't even like Mashiro.

*shudders*

Agreed. Xenoblade has an astounding soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom