• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tenchi GXP Dub 21

Another serious episode focused on the lore of the Tenchi meta, so it was boring as fuck. Even the battle at the end was uninteresting as it was mostly the minor characters winning while Seina and the harem watched. When the show focuses on not the harem comedy and slap stick it gets really boring.

wonzo

Banned
Cplcbcm.jpg
Anime makes everybody look cool smoking. I mean look at this guy. What a badass
The most compelling argument I've yet seen in this thread for fake smoker gulags.

cajunator

Banned
Guys is Madoka worth trying if I have never liked anything magical girl?
(Well besides Sailor Moon back in the Toonami days)

Yes You should still enjoy it because its very much more about the characters and subverting magical girl tropes than it is a typical mahou shoujo story.

I'm kinda losing my shit at how accurate this is. :lol That looks a LOT like me, hahaha. Beard and everything.

Thats actually pretty rad.

cajunator

Banned
Nah, Madoka and Lan are indeed the OTP of Rinne, though Muginami is always acceptable for triangle goodness.

As long as Lan is there it can be either mugi or Madoka. would vastly prefer Madoka though.

Seeing Corvo's rewatch posts of FMP is making me want to pick up FMP again where I left off. I can't remember why I dropped that show at episode 7. I guess I just forgot about it? Must have gotten lost in the sea of Gurren Laganns, Gargantias, and other shows that I got hooked on that spring.

I think I'll pick it back up again after I finish plowing through Ef a tale of memories.

I told him I would watch it but I have to buy the series first.
He then has to watch Princess tutu or Kinos Journey in return.

CorvoSol

She loses major points for doing that, yes. I think she's great of course, but her attachment to him knocked her out of OTP potential.

But what about Lan's unhealthy attachment to Dizelmine? Or the constant ship-teasing between Madoka and Dizelmine?

Full Metal Panic! 24

"Lieutenant
Gail McCallen
is out on patrol, madam captain."

Every time, man. And then that scene of Tessa crying by the vending machine. So damn harsh. I love the way this run wraps up, all neat and tidy, with the bad guy out of the picture, Sousuke and Kaname back to status quo, and Tessa emotionally scarred by the entire experience. That said, we're gonna have a brief, light-hearted interlude in Fumoffu and then shit gets crazy real from there and never stops getting worse.

cajunator

Banned
I would instead suggest watching Day Break Illusion, which is a more refined and focused take on the Madoka Formula but offering a superior ost, excellent antagonist, and great visuals.

Uhhh. no.

So Gatchaman Crowds. What is it exactly? Am I going to be rolling my eyes at moe antics by the protag? Or is it something else? The promotional stuff makes it seem like an action show, but I never know.

Hajime is the most exciteable girl in the world and she is precious. Love her so much.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
How the hell did you get a tag ?

No idea. :lol

====================================

DokiDoki Precure - 39

B0Zvybo.png
lcPltbh.png

Yessssssss!!!

So glad Regina is back in the game, it's been ages since we've gotten some good :sdburton. I was not expecting
Regina to be the one to pull out the spear
, looking forward to what happens next.

I told him I would watch it but I have to buy the series first.
He then has to watch Princess tutu or Kinos Journey in return.

It's on Funimation's Youtube page so you can watch it for free there if you want.

And I'm hoping with all my might that you choose Kino's Journey. That's a show that DESERVES long Corvo write-ups.

cnet128

Banned
Noragami 4

Oh hey, a really good episode. This makes me happy, I feel like I can properly like this show now without the need for caveats.

The whole "falling story" scene was both hilarious and pretty engaging, Kofuku is deeply adorable
which I guess is the problem >.>
, and the hints about Yato's past and implications of more serious plot threads to come are very intriguing.

Hope the series keeps up this kind of quality.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
But what about Lan's unhealthy attachment to Dizelmine? Or the constant ship-teasing between Madoka and Dizelmine?

I never really saw Dizelmine as a threat to the Madoka x Lan pair. I mean, he was engaged to Yurikano at one point and I saw Lan's attachment as more so of a sister looking out for her brother rather than the typical brocon type we tend to get in shows. I never really got a vibe of Madoka x Dizelmine, aside from the
body swap
, which even then seemed to be Yurikano x Dizelmine, the idea of Madoka x Dizelmine never came to mind.

Tenchi GXP Dub 22

The duel between Seina and Seriyo was hilarious, all in all a pretty funny episode the gets back to what makes GXP enjoyable... wut the hell kind of ending is this? There's only 4 episodes left why are we introducing a new batch of villains now?

Noragami seems to want to emulate Rurorin Kenshin and Gintama about an ultimate badass who masks his past with silliness. Which worked really well for both of those shows, but they need to bring a bit more serious Yato if they really want to sell it.

A little bit less of this

gD7RfIi.gif

A little more of this

9tqBxuy.gif

plzkthxbye

Noragami seems to want to emulate Rurorin Kenshin and Gintama about an ultimate badass who masks his past with silliness. Which worked really well for both of those shows, but they need to bring a bit more serious Yato if they really want to sell it.

A little bit less of this

http://i.imgur.com/gD7RfIi.gif[IMG]

A little more of this

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9tqBxuy.gif[IMG]

plzkthxbye[/QUOTE]

lol cmon Noragami has only 4 episodes

CorvoSol

I never really saw Dizelmine as a threat to the Madoka x Lan pair. I mean, he was engaged to Yurikano at one point and I saw Lan's attachment as more so of a sister looking out for her brother rather than the typical brocon type we tend to get in shows. I never really got a vibe of Madoka x Dizelmine, aside from the
body swap
, which even then seemed to be Yurikano x Dizelmine, the idea of Madoka x Dizelmine never came to mind.

I'm gonna have to rewatch it, but I definitely got the whole Madoka x Dizelmine thing out of it. Yurikano just existed to neatly remove Dizelmine from the equation and free Madoka and Lan up again.

Theonik

Hidamari Sketch 12 -END-
ib86hXfJ7c8er.png

Quality wide imouto
Another very good episode. (I think saying *except for the shaft has become tired by now)
In either case this was an enjoyable series save for some glaring things. Hopefully they become less of a thing in later seasons.

Hidamari Sketch 12 -END-

Another very good episode. (I think saying *except for the shaft has become tired by now)
In either case this was an enjoyable series save for some glaring things. Hopefully they become less of a thing in later seasons.

The "Shaft" never goes away, if that's what you're concerned about.

Hidamari Sketch 12 -END-

Even if the Shaftiness never goes away the production values and everything else is so much better in the later seasons.

lol cmon Noragami has only 4 episodes

Oh for sure, I'm giving them a chance and even if they don't go fully serious I'll still enjoy it. But I think it's scheduled for 12 episodes while these other two had 20+ if not in the hundreds. They had plenty of time to not show their darker side. Not sure if this one will.

yaWOrQP.jpg

GAF, why do you keep giving me this ad?

I haven't even bothered watching the show after seeing episode 1 when it first came out.

Where was it said that Sword Art Online was "The Smartest Anime in Years"? I keep seeing that phrase brought up whenever someone suffers through that show.

It reminds me of that really positive review of Sonic 06. Who said that?

Oh for sure, I'm giving them a chance and even if they don't go fully serious I'll still enjoy it. But I think it's scheduled for 12 episodes while these other two had 20+ if not in the hundreds. They had plenty of time to not show their darker side. Not sure if this one will.

There is a reason for ep count. The manga is currently in chapter 38 and its monthly.

yaWOrQP.jpg

GAF, why do you keep giving me this ad?

I haven't even bothered watching the show after seeing episode 1 when it first came out.

Karma, at one point the subliminal view of the ad each time you refresh the page will make you watch the rest , and you'll love it !

---------------
Tonari no seki-kun - 04

The most impressive thing is how seki-kun manage to hide all his stuff so fast.

cajunator

Banned
Karma, at one point the subliminal view of the ad each time you refresh the page will make you watch the rest , and you'll love it !

---------------
Tonari no seki-kun - 04

The most impressive thing is how seki-kun manage to hide all his stuff so fast.

Seki gets away with some crazy stuff. Hes so loud lol.

Firemind

Thanks for the replies, guys! I had time to kill and used my weak excelfu to compile the data in a massive list. In total there are 235 entries (some didn't list ten as I'll mention below). Each entry gets a star of approval, pretty self-explanatory. I'm sure an Anime of the Forever has been made at some point in the past, but you can use this as a recommendations list of sorts. I'm too lazy to compute numerical values. Plus, I think every entry in a top ten has equal value, since it has to be something special to get into it in the first place.

I added the K-Ons and Monogataris together. Not sure if this is correct, but I thought it would highlight the overall strength of the series. Also not sure if Yamato and Yamato 2199 are the same or not.

There are five people who didn't give a complete list (Gazoinks 8; survivor 8; ThreePiMatt 5; MikeHattsu 5; icarus-daedelus 9) and two people who listed more than ten, which only the first ten entries were counted (Basileus777, cajunator, strangedopamine; sorry, guys).

I want to add genres to the list so that it's useful for people who are interested in a specific genre, but I don't want to offend people who take genre categorizations seriously. Plus, how do I categorize Strike Witches? Military science fiction? That's helpful, Wiki! So... maybe some other time.

Cowboy Bebop ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Revolutionary Girl Utena ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Azumanga Daioh ☆☆☆☆☆
K-On! ☆☆☆☆☆
Puella Magi Madoka Magica ☆☆☆☆☆
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann ☆☆☆☆☆
Eureka 7 ☆☆☆☆
Hidamari Sketch ☆☆☆☆
Baccano ☆☆☆
Chihayafuru ☆☆☆
Clannad After Story ☆☆☆
Fate/Zero ☆☆☆
Haibane Renmei ☆☆☆
Hyouka ☆☆☆
Kino's Journey ☆☆☆
Monogatari ☆☆☆
Nodame Cantabile ☆☆☆
Princess Mononoke ☆☆☆
Sailor Moon ☆☆☆
Steins;Gate ☆☆☆
The Tatami Galaxy ☆☆☆
Ah My Goddess ☆☆
Cardcaptor Sakura ☆☆
Code Geass ☆☆
Escaflowne ☆☆
FLCL ☆☆
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood ☆☆
Full Metal Panic ☆☆
Gankuutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo ☆☆
Ghost in the Shell ☆☆
Macross Plus ☆☆
Martian Successor Nadesico ☆☆
Mobile Fighter G Gundam ☆☆
Mushishi ☆☆
Neon Genesis Evangelion ☆☆
Night on the Galactic Railroad ☆☆
Planetes ☆☆
Princess Tutu ☆☆
Rahxephon ☆☆
School Days ☆☆
SDF Macross ☆☆
Sora no Woto ☆☆
Spirited Away ☆☆
Strike Witches ☆☆
The iDOLM@STER ☆☆
Toradora ☆☆
Trapeze ☆☆
Trigun ☆☆
" " Kai (Dragon Ball?) ☆
5 Centimeters per Second ☆
Akira ☆
Angel's Egg ☆
Anne of Green Gables ☆
Aria ☆
Armored Trooper VOTOMS ☆
Black Jack ☆
Blast of Tempest ☆
Boogiepop Phantom ☆
Cardfight!! Vanguard ☆
Colorful ☆
Cross Game ☆
Dennou Coil ☆
Detective Conan ☆
Digimon Tamers ☆
Dragonball Z ☆
Durarara!! ☆
Eccentric Family ☆
Fairy Tail ☆
Fist of the North Star ☆
Free! ☆
Fruits Basket ☆
Full Metal Alchemist ☆
Getter Robo Armageddon ☆
Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still ☆
Gintama ☆
Girls Und Panzer ☆
Great Teacher Onizuka ☆
Guilty Crown ☆
Gunbuster ☆
Gunsmith Cats ☆
Haganai ☆
Hajime no Ippo ☆
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of The East ☆
Hanamaru Kindergarten ☆
Heartcatch Precure! ☆
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ☆
Humanity Has Declined ☆
Hunter X Hunter ☆
Infinite Ryvius ☆
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job. ☆
K ☆
Kaiji ☆
Kamichu ☆
Kanon (2006) ☆
Kare Kano ☆
Katanagatari ☆
Kill la Kill ☆
Kimi ni Todoke ☆
Legend of the Galactic Heroes ☆
Little Witch Academia ☆
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro ☆
Macross: Do You Remember Love? ☆
Magic Knight Rayearth ☆
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ☆
Maison Ikkoku ☆
Memories ☆
Michiko to Hatchin ☆
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket ☆
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing ☆
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team ☆
Monogatari SS ☆
Mononoke ☆
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit ☆
Moyashimon ☆
Nadesico ☆
Nadia Secret of Blue Water ☆
NANA ☆
Nanoha A's ☆
Natsume Yuujinchou ☆
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind ☆
Only Yesterday ☆
OreImo ☆
Ouran High School Host Club ☆
Outlaw Star ☆
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt ☆
Patlabor OVAs ☆
Penguindrum ☆
Phi Brain Puzzle of God ☆
Queen's Blade (TV + OVAs) ☆
Ro-Kyu-Bu! ☆
Saki ☆
Saki side A ☆
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ☆
Serial Experiments Lain ☆
Seto no Hanayome ☆
Sgt. Keroro ☆
Slayers NEXT ☆
Space Brothers ☆
Spice and Wolf ☆
Strike Witches 2 ☆
Summer Wars ☆
Suzuka ☆
Sword of the Stranger ☆
Tenchi Muyo OVA 1 & 2 ☆
The Big O ☆
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ☆
This Boy Can Fight Aliens ☆
Turn A Gundam ☆
Twelve Kingdoms ☆
Urusei Yatsura ☆
Vivdred Operation ☆
Welcome to the NHK ☆
Whisper of the Heart ☆
Wolf's Rain ☆
Yamato ☆
Yamato 2199 ☆
Yu Yu Hakusho ☆

Enjoy!

I keep getting the BuddyFight ones. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about that.

I'll still watch it for a laugh and to continue the Buddy Count!

I hope it goes as long as Vanguard. I wish to know the process behind how their able to dub it so swiftly.

I just wish they delayed in introducing the supernatural elements. The games rules and mechanics have barely had the foundation set afterall :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom