• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryogi

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 1-16

Caught up and added this to my AOTY. . . Clearly no one else really cares for it, and I can't blame them. We all know how well recieved an Okada show is just a from few years ago with that streak of Anohana/Iroha/Lupin. I'd liken it that Okada is love and hate. I mean, there was Anohana, which to date I really wanted to like, but it just didn't work out. So I watch this show just waiting to be disappointed, but surprisingly it hasn't. Not to mention that I'm absolutely hooked currently. Maybe if she actually keeps this up, it could be her best original work to date, considering her grade of work is dependent on the source material more than anything. (Toradora for example)

But I'm along for the ride and loving it. So that makes Inari, Nagiasu, Seitokai, and Kill la Kill for me this season.

Mature

Evangelion 4

Some of the still frames in the show look really good when it has great looking backgrounds supporting them, but then you get silly frames like this that stays on for far too long and just ends up looking lazy and cheap.
This can be a bit jarring at parts, but in general I was fine with this application of it. Probably in part because of the terrific sound direction coupled with it.
Evangelion 6

Ikari must be an animators dream, never changing his expression or posture, so easy to insert in any scene. Also I really hate the ED song, especially in comparison to the song in the OP, just so bad.
You hate Fly Me to the Moon? Had you not heard it before this anime? =/

kff2tDO.jpg
vRxRX6L.jpg

One Piece 630

The women in Dressrosa are confirmed to be scary.

Fujitora's first appearance and his little meeting with Zoro was pretty good.

cajunator

Banned
Nozomi has a "dream" , she will ive on.
the order of this

7-Max heart
8-Suite
9-Yes! gogo
10-Yes!
but it won't change the fact that they are the worst shows of the franchise.

that's the thing , she was strong from the start.
From ep1 , she was already stronger than most heroines in the franchise in their late tranformations. that's how broken her specs are.

Lol who told you this lie ? those who judged a precure serie based on the first episodes are always wrong .... that's how the franchise is. you need much more episode because you can see how the motw episodes go and how the fight dynamics are handled.

Damn. Well the original series had one single attack that pretty much worked throughout.

I do! Harem anime is like team sports. You want your team to win

Well true but rarely the case. More fun to kust pick the squee-est girl and roll with that.

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 1-16

Clearly no one else really cares for it

Hey now, I can think of a few people who are enjoying it, myself included! But you're right that there aren't as many people watching this one as I would like (cajun why have you still not started it =/)

I've been wanting to watch Nagi no Asukara but I don't feel like dealing with melodrama until it finishes airing. And if it's anything like Anohana....

Personally I feel like this show works better week-to-week than it would as a marathon, but it's your call I guess.

BluWacky

DokiDoki Precure: 49 (END)

A weak ending to an otherwise strong finish.

The biggest issue DokiDoki had is something I like to call "Battlizer syndrome". The term Battlizer comes from Power Rangers, and it was a special power up that only the Red Ranger, aka the team leader, got. Only they could use it, and often it lead to making the rest of the team near useless. After all, why fight when Red can just whip out the Battlizer and show his superiority?

Mana was the lead of the show, and while she didn't have a "battlizer", so to speak
until the last episode
, it was obvious the show revolved around her. Her abilities often took the spotlight even when other characters were highlighted, and when they got a new, powerful item, it only served the rest of the team for a while to just power up Mana's attack.

If you've watched Sailor Moon, how does this compare to the dynamic there, where most of the other Senshi exist to weaken the monster before some elaborate Tiara Action or whatever from Usagi? Obviously if you've not seen it you can't really comment, but I feel it generally works in Sailor Moon as the characters are given enough depth and importance for it not to matter that Usagi always deals the final blow.

kiryogi

Banned
I've been wanting to watch Nagi no Asukara but I don't feel like dealing with melodrama until it finishes airing. And if it's anything like Anohana....

TBH, since it's 2cour, she's actually been pacing it pretty well. Excessive crying is still around, but it's nowhere as crazy as it was in Anohana, although who knows how the finale will be. But this has been a lot better paced, making it a lot more tolerable/enjoyable.

Hey now, I can think of a few people who are enjoying it, myself included! But you're right that there aren't as many people watching this one as I would like (cajun why have you still not started it =/)

Personally I feel like this show works better week-to-week than it would as a marathon, but it's your call I guess.

Well, looking at the AOTY thread, and at most it only had 2-3 mentions, no one else on animeGAF is watching it if anything. Yeah, I'd like more people to watch it for discussion sake, but eh, I like it and that's enough for me.

Kazzy

Uh no not really. I didn't know it was a popular song covered by many people before. Well I just listened to this one by Frank Sinatra and it's actually good. I guess I just hate the cover used in Eva.

I've never been particularly fond it either. There are much better versions of it elsewhere.

You like 'A Cruel Angel's Thesis' though, and that's all that matters!

I think youll enjoy those particularly.
Kinos journey is anime that makes you think. Very philosophical and will leave an impression on you.
Magic Knight Rayearth is a really fun magical girl/mecha fusion show from the 90s. Twelve kingdoms is a fish out of water very epic story (requires a lot of attention to keep up with it) and Gunsmith cats is like one of those fun 90s rated r cop movies. Lots of fun stuff in those four titles.

Seems like Kino's Journey and Twelve Kingdoms will be up first since they seem easiest to come by. But I will do my best to see all :).

DokiDoki Precure 49 ReWatch END

Wait wait, I can understand jealousy, as you've displayed that before in the show... but running away? Now I need to just look into my memory banks to find so much of an instant for that.

Anyway, in regards to Final form Cure Heart, yes I still hate this, and I will hate if it is ever repeated in the future. I mean good lord, GoGo Movie, your bad traits keeps infecting everything in the franchise!

Now then, in regards to the real final boss,
how it went down reminded me of Noise, Suite Precure's Big bad, except less tense, and not as good. Part of it being because his goal didn't revolve around ridding everything so that way he can finally commit suicide.
Rather, it was kind of forced on by Mana herself. And generally, when it comes to these moments, the crew is generally already aware of the circumstances, so there's another piece of the tension gone (which didn't exist already).

Rather... the lack of tension in this episode was pretty much the one big problem with the finale. There was none at any point. It was hard to. Nevermind the crew being more competent, which was clearly in response to Smile Precure's incompetent cast members (also them being smarter was a response). The Real World invading probably would've caused panic. But instead, no one really gave a shit, and there was already an organized rescue effort. Which is rather funny in comparison to Leva and Gula attacking the town (granted everyone kind of "died" already).

In regards to the ending though, I will say it at least gave me an idea on what happened with everyone after the events, which is more than what I could say about Heartcatch leaving Yuri out in the cold after the big showdown (aw shit). In a sense, in regards to the Selfish trio, I think we already confirmed that the final two members were probably killed off before the new era, considering the Selfish trio is really really old (in fact, Ira technically would be considered a pedophile.).

Onto characters. Mana was a clear response to Miyuki being a piss poor Pink Leader, whose pink lead moments felt really undeserved (especially in the Smile Precure movie). Mana... is like on the extreme other side of the scale though. Partly because with her, there's no such thing as tension. Two examples being from when Leva and Gula made a widescale attack on Oogai, and the finale in general. She basically eats tension for breakfast. This isn't something that can be swatted away by saying "it's Precure", there was no tension simply because Mana exists. That being said, some of the ridiculous Mana moments are funny, because they're sooo wrong.

SgJ8oeR.jpg

This is code for sex

Rikka was like... a character that really deserved more attention, but by having less attention, she wasn't ruined over time. Racquel's Love probably making her even better honestly
because she's a "hard" ass. Wink Wink
. I think... she's just rather consistent.

Alice was a character that I had high hopes for, only for part of it to be dashed away by the time she gets her first spotlight episode, making her "almost" perfect as a result. She does, however, get her character established via flashbacks, as well as solidifying her friendship with both Mana and Rikka. This was something that Fresh Precure really lacked, since Love, Inori, and Miki were "childhood" friends, but it doesn't really invest into why that is even important. Hell, it was better than Nao/Reika's childhood friendship, which a lot of it feels as if you're looking through goggles for it (then again, Brian/Akane was done better in a span of one episode vs Smile's entirety. That's how fucked up it is).

This aspect of Alice, feels like a reminder of when Yes! 5 was capable of developing every character within a span of its airing time, better than any Precure following after it, and is something I hope HappinessCharge ressurects (whether you like Y5's characters more or not is a different story).

Makopi... lol.... Strangely, I didn't care for her, but I kept giving her pity, because she's... been assassinated over the show. With more playing pieces coming out, I feel like "why are you here?" There wasn't much done with her character in terms for plot reasons. Hell, it would've been great to establish one with Aguri and Regina, if only to bring about the twist faster, instead of leaving the plot for the last few episodes.

I don't like Aguri. Period. Regina... Well... she was kind of made less... likable and more repetitive in the final cour, and it seems like she became... a bit dumb after the crown business. To be honest, she should've been saved sooner. But now she's lovable again, competing against Rikka in the harem since they're the final two members. She disrupted the crew, which was needed, but they really should've made MakoPi more focused on Regina in general. I mean dynamics yo.

Anyway, the action that leads to Cure Heart having the final form was the worst part of the episode. Her having the final form wasn't the worst part, if only because we already knew based on the PV from last week. It was what led up to it that was really bad, and that was the part that was giving me anxiety before it aired. That and... I would've been better off not having one major fight. Other than that, I was okay with everything else.

Finale was definitely better than Smile's, despite the sticking point listed above. 3rd cour was probably Doki's weakest point, if only because everything came to a halt instead.

First seven episodes were definitely the best, although its been on a decline afterwards (a gradual decline at least). Despite being in 8th place for now, I would probably say that it was possible to really sit through this, despite the third cour's problems, and despite the Mana circle jerk that runs as deep as the staff room. There's always room for improvement I say.

Now then, to charge my happiness.

PsionBolt

If you've watched Sailor Moon, how does this compare to the dynamic there, where most of the other Senshi exist to weaken the monster before some elaborate Tiara Action or whatever from Usagi? Obviously if you've not seen it you can't really comment, but I feel it generally works in Sailor Moon as the characters are given enough depth and importance for it not to matter that Usagi always deals the final blow.

It's a different dynamic than Sailor Moon.
Usagi is the main character just because; it's her destiny, blah blah blah, and she gets the final blows because of her main-character syndrome. She's kind of a screwup and only starts to earn her victories when the finale starts to draw near.
Mana, on the other hand, is the main character because of her natural 18 charisma stat. She earns the respect of her teammates promptly. She doesn't always get the final blow; early on, they all alternate, and later on, they use team attacks. Her super-person qualities apply mostly in the normal world: she has a lot of friends, doesn't let things get her down, etc., all the standard Pink stuff, just turned up a notch or two.
The supporting cast help out Usagi and Mana in roughly equal amounts, I'd say. Considering only the first 50 episodes for fairness, the Dokis and the Sailors are roughly similar in importance and usefulness. Plot-wise, Usagi is much more central than Mana - most of Dokidoki's plot centers around the Trump Kingdom residents.

cnet128

Banned
So due to a few different factors I didn't find any time to watch anime yesterday ;_; and now I've got quite a few episodes to catch up on. Gotta get watching or I won't have enough Precure time this coming week!

ImoCho 4

This episode was...not overtly lewd at all? That's unusual for this show.

It also contained such things as drama, interesting developments (another hint that
boring childhood friend girl might be able to see ghosts
, and an icecream-eating girl who definitely can) and legitimate character/relationship progression. Oh, and a lot of cute flirting courtesy of Hiyori.

Good episode!

Shergal

Noragami might not have an original premise, very unique characters nor the most flamboyant visuals but it knows how to work with what it has and it's consistently solid and engaging.
Seems to be something that eludes tons of shows with more potential.

Jarmel

Banned
Noragami might not have an original premise, very unique characters nor the most flamboyant visuals but it knows how to work with what it has and it's consistently solid and engaging.

It's really solid execution of what I'm sure is a very rote manga.

It's a different dynamic than Sailor Moon.
Usagi is the main character just because; it's her destiny, blah blah blah, and she gets the final blows because of her main-character syndrome. She's kind of a screwup and only starts to earn her victories when the finale starts to draw near.
Mana, on the other hand, is the main character because of her natural 18 charisma stat. She earns the respect of her teammates promptly. She doesn't always get the final blow; early on, they all alternate, and later on, they use team attacks. Her super-person qualities apply mostly in the normal world: she has a lot of friends, doesn't let things get her down, etc., all the standard Pink stuff, just turned up a notch or two.
The supporting cast help out Usagi and Mana in roughly equal amounts, I'd say. Considering only the first 50 episodes for fairness, the Dokis and the Sailors are roughly similar in importance and usefulness. Plot-wise, Usagi is much more central than Mana - most of Dokidoki's plot centers around the Trump Kingdom residents.

Guess I'll respond to what I feel like here, even if it's not directed at me. For the most part, I do agree on Usagi. Granted, I'm not really a fan of Usagi in general partly because of that. I do agree that Mana had to earn respect for Makopi and Aguri (because they weren't friends at the start.).

Usagi's character did at least allow for tension, so I'll give her credit for it.

Being consistent(ly good) is the hardest thing to achieve in TV productions.

Nobunaga The Fool: Episode 4: The Magician
tumblr_n0104tUOd31qbxqfpo1_500.png

From the explosive banquet to this visual spectacle of the bethroning ceremony. Though the content was questionable it was still quite brilliant when it finally took off. Nobu is amazing.

cajunator

Banned

This is one thing that bothers me about a lot of mahou shoujo. The main girl always has clean up dity. She gets bailed out most of the time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is one thing that bothers me about a lot of mahou shoujo. The main girl always has clean up dity. She gets bailed out most of the time.

Not true. The leader getting the finisher is almost universal to the genre. It has everything to do with leadership status and nothing to do with level of competency.

139050503478831oet.gif

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 2

Inari is cute and Uka is best goddess.

Been hearing alot of how Older Brother and Uka's relationship is popular with the readers, so his first appearance and meeting with her is interesting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

"Style"

Hamatora is basically K meets Un-Go; just be thankful if you're not sure what this implies, but for the most part it's just another halfassed detective anime where the initial investigative legwork always gives out to willy-nilly dot-connecting that somehow always manages to be correct, except this time with esper mutants. It's full of holes and tortuous character motivations and I'd have quit, but but the main antagonist has a knack for comically pseud, self-serious monologues about the NATURE of HUMANS that he extols from his spacious cubical chamber full of tiki torches and is essentially Rin from Free! with a sexual attraction toward brains in jars so I can't stop myself.

Just.......just.......

7Hj1u9o.png

survivor

Banned
"Style"

Hamatora is basically K meets Un-Go; just be thankful if you're not sure what this implies, but for the most part it's just another halfassed detective anime where the initial investigative legwork always gives out to willy-nilly dot-connecting that somehow always manages to be correct, except this time with esper mutants. It's full of holes and tortuous character motivations and I'd have quit, but but the main antagonist has a knack for comically pseud, self-serious monologues about the NATURE of HUMANS that he extols from his spacious cubical chamber full of tiki torches and is essentially Rin from Free! with a sexual attraction toward brains in jars so I can't stop myself.

Just.......just.......

http://i.imgur.com/7Hj1u9o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Un-Go you say? Interest rising.

"Style"

Just.......just.......

I was thinking more "Why are you watching this?", but I guess you answered that too!

I have to mention this: I got the Soranowoto OST in the mail the other day, and it's amazing. It's been a little while since I saw the anime, so I forgot how great the music was.

cnet128

Banned
Nisekoi 3

Onodera da bes. Chitoge also maybe sort of cute sometimes.

Can I just use that as my impression post for every episode?

Nisekoi 3

Onodera da bes. Chitoge also maybe sort of cute sometimes.

Can I just use that as my impression post for every episode?

Acceptable.

I've been enjoying it so far as well. Was in the bookstore the other day and was a bit surprised that they already have the first volume of the manga out in the US.

cajunator

Banned
Not true. The leader getting the finisher is almost universal to the genre. It has everything to do with leadership status and nothing to do with level of competency.

Doesnt mean its very interesting. Almost as though the other girls in the group are only there to get the main one through the fight.

Noragami 4

NsiT7Vh.gif

Damn this show is in the running for anime of the season. Like others have mentioned it isn't particularly fresh with its plot or characters, but Yato's charisma drives the whole show. I could watch any show with the VA as the lead doing Penguin-san's/Zetsubou Sensei voice (didn't even recognize him as Levi in Shingeki No Kyojin).

In this episode we didn't get much main plot progression but got introduced to another great character. And all the discussions and jokes as they were falling down the building were hilarious. We've yet to really see Yato get deadly serious to coincide with the supposed rumors, but we got a small glimpse.
also the little girl looks like she might've been his old regalia from back in the days when he was a killer. If so that'd be pretty interesting

While I do love the comedy I hope Yato gets a bit more respect because at least as of right now nobody takes him seriously and I want them to :'(

Also I NEED the OST. Anybody know if it'll be released? I really DO need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom