• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Evangelion 9 I guess they need to somehow show that placing your hopes on kids pilots is a dumb idea and will backfire eventually, but god Asuka is an awful character.

This statement needs to be retracted so fast that it gives you whiplash!

Awful person? Yes.

Awful character? No.

Tenchi GXP Dub 26

When I said I wanted harem ending I just wanted it to be the main 4, I didn't want what I got

I8m63.gif

FUCK THAT ENDING

Quasar

Tenchi GXP Dub 23

The fucking army is the villain now? What the hell is going on? Shank is back? I thought he jobbed to Seriyo? What the fuck?

That whole mech thing was weird. Though if one guy has his own superpowerful personal mech I can understand why the army would be rather down on that. Though if it only works for that one guy they are pretty screwed.

I liked the ending. Mostly. Does away with the stupid nonsense in harems of choosing.

I agree, I was ecstatic that I was getting a harem end... and then Seina got kidnapped
raped
and had
a much bigger harem end
then I wanted or expected. That's what pissed me off.

Honestly I love the set up behind the harem end for this series but jeebus they just had to mess it up

survivor

Banned
Oniisama e is the best soap opera ever. A high point of Osamu Dezaki's directorial work.
It's pretty amazing.
It's absolutely amazing.
Well guess I will watch this after I'm done with Eva then, thanks.

This statement needs to be retracted so fast that it gives you whiplash!

Awful person? Yes.

Awful character? No.
Yeah, my bad, I meant more as in a character I don't want to be friends with. I don't mind the way she is written narrative wise and whatnot.

Quasar

I agree, I was ecstatic that I was getting a harem end... and then Seina got kidnapped
raped
and had
a much bigger harem end

Honestly I love the set up behind the harem end for this series but jeebus they just had to mess it up

To me it seemed like a cheap way of getting out of showing the ceremony. They basically just cut away and now everyone is married (plus extras).

Trigun 11
Too bad Wolfwood is leaving. He was pretty damn cool and supplement Vash's character well. Well Vash was pretty cool in this episode

Defuser

Noragami ep 4
This whole episode is damn funny with the loooooooong free falling segment and new character such as Kofuku. And finally the plot starts to set in although the next episode seems to be back to Yato's shticks.

Kazzy

Yeah, my bad, I meant more as in a character I don't want to be friends with. I don't mind the way she is written narrative wise and whatnot.

Understandable - they're not meant to be a particularly likeable bunch anyway. I mean, Misato is my favorite character, but when you start peeling back the layers, she's just as damaged as any of the other characters (if not more so). It's all just varying levels of disgust, basically!

There's an amazing disconnect between what people perceive Evangelion as, and what it actually represents. It's such a morbid and caustic work, that I still find it slightly jarring how popular it is - not to mention how many of its fans simply don't seem particularly concerned with those aspects, or what they imply.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 01

I've had this on my list for many, many moons. Finally saw the first episode. Daddy issues are strong in this one. I'll have to watch a bit more to form an opinion, but otherwise, it's fun as an opening episode.

Yamato 16

Well that was convenient. Shocked that
evil-looking security officer turned out to be evil! What a twist! And dammit obese engineer guy, you had even earned your superiors' trust :(

Also I should mention that my roommates are watching Toradora! (I'm in the same room) 2anime4me.

raped
and had
a much bigger harem end

i was disapointed too at first .. and then i went .. more people would be cool , so why not ?
Also don't forget , fuku is a bride too
she will get a human body later after all , like fuu & ryoko

i was disapointed too at first .. and then i went .. more people would be cool , so why not ?
Also don't forget , fuku is a bride too

9 chick orgy is pretty sweet

Anyways back to Desert Punk

Desert Punk Dub 6

In classic DP style, it was all part of the plan, but after winning he loses badly and doesn't get laid or money in the end. Decent conclusion to the mini arc though I'm looking forward to seeing his new little girl partner next episode.

Gazoinks

Nobunagun 4

Liked this one more than the last. Pretty enjoyable. Random explosions. Random dancing. Gratuitous butt shots of Sio and Jack.

rip yuri goggles

wonzo

Banned
Magi S2 1

Well, this was definitely a far more promising start to this season compared to the first one. The first part with a glimpse of the upcoming
war arc
owned so hard thanks to some excellent animation, really makes me look forward to them actually adapting it and I never thought I'd say that about the
war arc
of all things!

The rest of the episode was filled with the usual dumb & funny antics of the cast and seemed to be sticking closer to the source material. Hell, they didn't even acknowledge BLACK KING ALIBABA yet! The production values were also far more consistent than S1 (though that may be due to budget frontloading) and even the music seemed far more fitting for the series. Definitely bodes well for the rest of it.

also "drunk" kanahana &
dunya :(

cajunator

Banned
9 chick orgy is pretty sweet

Anyways back to Desert Punk

Desert Punk Dub 6

In classic DP style, it was all part of the plan, but after winning he loses badly and doesn't get laid or money in the end. Decent conclusion to the mini arc though I'm looking forward to seeing his new little girl partner next episode.

Genki pink hair is so great. Love her.

jman2050

I'm kinda losing my shit at how accurate this is. :lol That looks a LOT like me, hahaha. Beard and everything.

Realpic of you carrying a Taiga plushie must happen.

I would instead suggest watching Day Break Illusion, which is a more refined and focused take on the Madoka Formula but offering a superior ost, excellent antagonist, and great visuals.

What the shit did I just read.

...Damnit he did it again...

cajunator

Banned
Magi S2 1

Well, this was definitely a far more promising start to this season compared to the first one. The first part with a glimpse of the upcoming
war arc
owned so hard thanks to some excellent animation, really makes me look forward to them actually adapting it and I never thought I'd say that about the
war arc
of all things!

The rest of the episode was filled with the usual dumb & funny antics of the cast and seemed to be sticking closer to the source material. Hell, they didn't even acknowledge BLACK KING ALIBABA yet! The production values were also far more consistent than S1 (though that may be due to budget frontloading) and even the music seemed far more fitting for the series. Definitely bodes well for the rest of it.

also "drunk" kanahana &
dunya :(

Would watch S2 for drunk Ren but heard shes not in it much.

Just finally realized we have two shows with Regalias as major themes this season, how odd. (Nobunaga the Fool and now Noragami).

anime seems to have a list of english keywords to use in their anime. Most of the time for comedic effect.

If more people watched Magi S2 maybe I wouldn't have to read about how good people think the Kill la Kill action scenes are.

I watch shows for plot, and that plot was just so god damn boring not even great animation (lol cg) could save it.

Midonin

Fate/stay night
A Legend is Sung of When England Was Young

The associations I make before I know something. For a long time, I placed Higurashi and Fate in the same rough category. VNs with a strong authorial voice and a Deen adaptation, only I've actually seen the former. But since Prisma Illya got me into the world of Type Moon at last last year, and with the remake on the way, I figured it was in my best interest to get on with it now. Watching Fate for context for Illya is backwards, but this is a trend with me, it seems.

I'm on the fence about Shiro. His gender politics do seem a little wonky at times, but his desire to save everybody is at least a noble goal, even if he goes about it in the most self-destructive ways at times. Otherwise, he's a fairly standard lead for this sort of thing. And I do like the way his abilities developed over the course of the story, building on what he'd already established.

Rin's mostly the same as I knew her in Illya, and Illyasviel herself is quite different. Once she moved into the Emiya house she became a little more like the version of herself I'm familiar with, but I get the feeling she was created to play off the contrast of the youngest fighter having the most invincible and heaviest hitter of the Servants. Everyone else filled their roles well enough - you can only get to know people so much in a battle royale type series - though I wish Caster and Rider had played larger parts, but I do know this anime is based on one of three routes. I've done my research.

Unlimited Blade Works has such a natural osmosis in the anime fandom that I knew about it long before I ever watched it, and seeing it in context, it is just as cool as I had been led to believe. Archer went out with a bang. I've also been spoiled that
Archer is another version of Shiro, but I'll wait until I see the UBW movie to draw more conclusions on this matter.
Enough hints were given in the series that implied it anyway.

Having played a fair share of VNs myself, the pacing definitely matched what I know of how long one route can be expected to last. If it can sustain one 24-episode series, it must be on par with a game from light. I was surprised it took three episodes before Saber was summoned and the story actually started moving. Enough elements that would come into play later were set up in those three, but it's not something I'm used to.

Then there's Saber herself. One of Ayako Kawasumi's most notable roles. Though largely stoic in nature, Kawasumi's acting did show her tender side plenty of times. My VN experience comes from a world where the games already have voices, so when this aired, the voices chosen here were the first time the characters ever spoke. I wonder what the reaction was to that at the time. Since they've stuck around into future spin-off media, I'm guessing it was well enough.

And going back to wonky gender politics, Gilgamesh. Shiro at least treated Saber the way he did out of a sort of naive ignorance. This guy was just creepy and douchey. Some of the comments he made in the final battle in particular. So glad when Saber offed him.

In many ways, the story feels like a familiar one, and I'm sure there are details about the intricate magic system I only barely know about, yet I enjoyed it. Visual novel anime aren't super common these days, and anything popular enough to still be relevant even now must have some sort of staying power. Every Master and Servant has their own story, and characters like Rin and Saber are decent twists on their archetypes.

As far as theme music goes, I liked listening to the second opening a little more, the first opening had a nice musicality to it. I'm also aware it was the game OP, so good choice on that one. The ending was also easy to listen to, even if very simple animation-wise. I've never heard the character songs, but I should get to that.

Final Thoughts: The animation is a little cheap in places, and things had to be simplified. Still, I saw this for the first time, and I can understand the appeal of it. It's a well thought out world, the mythology is researched and the magic system is consistent. Even with oddities like CGI dragons (did that thing fly in from a PS1?), the story's simple enough to hold up, yet has enough nuance to its characters that it can inspire plenty of discussion.

I think I like Prisma Illya a little more, just because I'm biased towards magical girl series. And I'm still not interested in Fate/Zero. I got plenty of backstory in here, and don't feel an immediate need to watch a full series of that.

I look forward to seeing how the remake covers the same(?) material, and now I can understand more of the callbacks in the second season of Prisma Illya. I'll get to UBW in a few days, want to chase this down with another series, give my mind some time to clear itself of Magi and Arthurian legends.

Bonus Round!
Fate/Prototype

This was only 12 minutes, and existed, so why the heck not? A lot can change in the creative process, it seems. Apparently things went from Biblical to Arthurian somewhere in the redrafting. Having the female protagonist (all the Masters, it seems) and all the male servants makes it seem more like an otome game than what it ultimately ended up becoming. The magic looks a lot more brutal than the final draft, too. I can't say for certain I would've liked this version more. It's like a distorted prism of the series. A lot of the familiar elements are there, but they're not quite as I know them.

King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And I'm still not interested in Fate/Zero. I got plenty of backstory in here, and don't feel an immediate need to watch a full series of that.

I think I died a little reading this post. What a huge disservice saying this after watching Fate/Stay Night.

Quasar

Fate/stay night

And I'm still not interested in Fate/Zero. I got plenty of backstory in here, and don't feel an immediate need to watch a full series of that.

That was exactly my reaction when I tried to watch Fate/Zero after watching Stay/Night. I got through about two episodes before dropping it.

Ok first off

L6dqPyU.jpg

With that out of the way, you should really watch Fate Zero. Having played all three routes of FSN and watched FZ, FZ is still the best Fate media period. Closest that might hold a candle to it is Heavens Feel, and that's ruined because Shiro is a Naruto protagonist whose whole "I want to save everybody" is just a bastardization of Kiritsugu's ideals. And Kiritisugu is anime Batman.

Branduil

I think I like Prisma Illya a little more, just because I'm biased towards magical girl series. And I'm still not interested in Fate/Zero. I got plenty of backstory in here, and don't feel an immediate need to watch a full series of that.

Why would you watch everything in the series except the one that is actually good?

Lol no way. I dropped it after ep8. Went back in for ep13-15 or something, it was still bad, dropped it again. Watched the final 2 episodes for the action animation. Terrible season.

I guess I confused someone else's impressions for yours.

Desert Punk Dub 7

Kasuna is really funny, add the dynamic she adds to Desert Punk's character. At least Desert Punk understands his priorities, making a boobie paradise for only him in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom