• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama 76-81

This was a great arc. Learning more about Otae's backstory and the slapstick comedy of the shinsengumi and Oddjobs working together was a great combination.

pbBsBMc.jpg
VHtYqmZ.png

I just realized that was Gazoinks I quoted. He changes avatars faster than Taylor Swift goes through boyfriends and pretends she's not to blame.

Careful, she'll write a song about you!

He used his last leap to save Makoto. His time in the present was only ever temporary anyway - it's just that he got attached to the time period (as well as Makoto), so much that he was delaying the inevitable.
If he wasn't planning on staying long, why did he enroll in a school?

Gundam build fighters - 16

This episode was supposed to be a calm before the storm episode , and YET AGAIN manage to be awesome .

It's been 16 episode already , and even with fillers , even with episode that are light on suspense , GBF manages to stay great , on par , on course ..Trully magnificent.

It's not an episode without purpose , not only it served as world building , it served as gunpla exposition , it served as character introduction , it served in many ways so that everyone knew where everyone was headed. It was trully awesome.

First , sei dad ... what to say without spoilers ? Well he's awesome in his own way, not as awesome as RAL , be he's getting there
Second reiji , indeed it's quite a leap seeing him quite disintrested in gunpla at first actually tasting Gunpla building .. this act has plenty of consequences one could argue that building gunpla = understanding gunpla ( i hope that they play this card at some point )

Third aila :
Not only we do get a piece of her backstory , we get why she is what she is and she is also subjected to gunpla and that should play a role in the future , i appprove of this shipping .it make sense. Reiji , you better make her your princess when you go back !
Dat dual fight was excellent , that rivalry when building was also a nice touch ... i LIKE THAT
Fourth , it seems that sei and incho are also on a steady path , again , i have no problems with that , heck she even has the mother approval.NOthing should go wrong , if they keep this course

Overall , a damn good episode , it's 8.5/10, very enjoyable and next week we're back into the tournament ! this should be sooo entresting to see
how mao will accumulate the death flags and lose

cajunator

Banned
Gundam build fighters - 16

This episode was supposed to be a calm before the storm episode , and YET AGAIN manage to be awesome .

It's been 16 episode already , and even with fillers , even with episode that are light on suspense , GBF manages to stay great , on par , on course ..Trully magnificent.

It's not an episode without purpose , not only it served as world building , it served as gunpla exposition , it served as character introduction , it served in many ways so that everyone knew where everyone was headed. It was trully awesome.

First , sei dad ... what to say without spoilers ? Well he's awesome in his own way, not as awesome as RAL , be he's getting there
Second reiji , indeed it's quite a leap seeing him quite disintrested in gunpla at first actually tasting Gunpla building .. this act has plenty of consequences one could argue that building gunpla = understanding gunpla ( i hope that they play this card at some point )

Third aila :

Not only we do get a piece of her backstory , we get why she is what she is and she is also subjected to gunpla and that should play a role in the future , i appprove of this shipping .it make sense. Reiji , you better make her your princess when you go back !
Dat dual fight was excellent , that rivalry when building was also a nice touch ... i LIKE THAT
Fourth , it seems that sei and incho are also on a steady path , again , i have no problems with that , heck she even has the mother approval.NOthing should go wrong , if they keep this course

Overall , a damn good episode , it's 8.5/10, very enjoyable and next week we're back into the tournament ! this should be sooo entresting to see
how mao will accumulate the death flags and lose

Why is she so goddamned cute? why?

wonzo

Banned
Witch Craft Works 4

witchcraftw4.jpg

Seems like they took a few bits and pieces from the manga and just fucked around with it it for this ep, not that I'm complaining as it was fun as shit.

D-Frag 4
Pretty funny with that board game being brought up again. Only Roka and Takao are the interesting girls compared to the rest of the cast which are fairly jokey

CorvoSol

Everything except the villain.

Which villain are we talking about?

Gates, The Yui sisters, Gauron or Leonard
?

Because if it is
Leonard
, he doesn't really get his day in the sun until AFTER The Second Raid.

If it's
the Yui sisters
, I agree, they weren't all that, but they do serve as an excellent parallel to Sousuke, which is a major point of The Second Raid- critiquing Sousuke and his character archetype.

If it's
Gates
, I thought he was pretty funny.

If it's
Gauron
, though, you're dead wrong, 'cuz this is far and away his most sinister plot.

Ef- A tale of memories 2 -12

No this wasn't all in one sitting.

I have to say, this was spectacular. The romance between Renji and Chihiro stole the entire show for me. This show hit the damn nail on the head with its music. Seriously, that last scene
where Renji hugs Chihiro and the chains binding her break, felt so damn powerful.

I really liked the way this ended, because the way it was set up
, it could have ended really tragically. I might have flipped a desk if the series ended the way it did on episode 11. It's nice to see a legit happy ending a drama like this with not a single asspull. It was just a nice, happy ending. It didn't feel forced, it was genuinely touching, and as I said before, the music was downright beautiful and powerful. I loved every minute of that scene. It was everything a happy ending should be.

This show earns a solid 8/10. Now, time to pick up Full Metal Panic where I left off earlier last year.

Witchcraft works - 04

So it's time for the sister

i must admit that going Cg actually cost them less than if that was going to be animated ...and the fight wasn't that bad , even if they did add a lot of filler with it.
Other than that it's actually following the manga somewhat close ..but i have the filling we're going to have a filler ending , especially if this is 12 eps.

Witch%20Craft%20Works%20-%2004.jpg

yes i want

Sister is cool , i hope that in their filler end , they actually give her some purpose because there is a lot of potential here , especially give what should happen in episode 6

Having a show about her doing gunpla with Iori Rinko as her builder would just be perfect.

====================================

DokiDoki! Precure - 47

No where near as strong as Love and Setsuna's moment from Fresh Precure, but hey I'll take it!

Hey hey hey hey
Regina
choose to jump into lava in order to mana to live in the first part of the mid season finale. , hard to deniy the vibes between the 2

Ef- A tale of memories 2 -12

No this wasn't all in one sitting.

I have to say, this was spectacular. The romance between Renji and Chihiro stole the entire show for me. This show hit the damn nail on the head with its music. Seriously, that last scene
where Renji hugs Chihiro and the chains binding her break, felt so damn powerful.

I really liked the way this ended, because the way it was set up
, it could have ended really tragically. I might have flipped a desk if the series ended the way it did on episode 11. It's nice to see a legit happy ending a drama like this with not a single asspull. It was just a nice, happy ending. It didn't feel forced, it was genuinely touching, and as I said before, the music was downright beautiful and powerful. I loved every minute of that scene. It was everything a happy ending should be.

This show earns a solid 8/10. Now, time to pick up Full Metal Panic where I left off earlier last year.

There's a second season as well. It isn't nearly as good and a bit more tragic, but artistic nonetheless.

cajunator

Banned
Having a show about her doing gunpla with Iori Rinko as her builder would just be perfect.

====================================

DokiDoki! Precure - 47

No where near as strong as Love and Setsuna's moment from Fresh Precure, but hey I'll take it!

This is a good idea and I endorse it.

I don't think I'm going to spoiler tag, because I dunno. lol

Anyway, as for the fanservice - they are still selling to guys. Looking at the merchandising, where they are trying to get nerds to buy 150 dollar figures of the Yamato girls, it makes sense that they are going for that audience.

It's unfortunate that the medium as evolved from selling nerds shitty plastic models of space ships to shitty plastic models of girls in space suits, but there we are.

And hey, as our Yuki has told us in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsasw6xWK4o
The Yamamoto models come with ahego to put on her head!

At the very least, the otaku moments - such as the nurse cosplaying - are mostly forgotten as the series gets into its crazier moments.

As for Yamamoto and her place in the "love triangle", I will just say that if they were never interested in rebooting the canon pairings (unlike Star Trek, which mashed Uhura and Spock together just to fuck with people) then abandoning that whole triangle entirely was the right move. The homosocial relationship between Melda and Yamamoto - parfait moment included - was a nice original touch that actually showed how they could evolve the show beyond its original premise. It also probably saved the Yamamoto character from being purely the boring shounen-esque revenge-driven character that she was when she was first introduced.

The fanservice was mostly just disappointing. I don't want to say I've "grown out of it" but my tolerance of stuff like that has lowered greatly. I feel like it's pandering to the lowest common denominator especially for something that's as good as Yamato.

Part of the reason the scene felt so out of place is because (I was marathoning it so the details are a bit blurred) Yamamoto hadn't really done much for a long while up to that point. It kind of relates to my disappointment about how there's a massive cast of characters but 80% of the development goes to Kodai/Yuki/Okito. Though I acknowledge my desires are unrealistic in what is allowed in a 26-episode, 22-minute long show. This is a really weird comparison, and obviously Yamato is much better, but it reminds of the problem I had with Xam'd. The story ends up being too much for those constraints and feels unsatisfying in the end.

I suppose I should ask here but would Eureka 7 maybe be something that I'm looking for in terms of story/characters? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I'm assuming 50 episodes is enough to tell a more complete story. I love me some BONES (and remain eternally sad that the only Darker than Black blu-rays are of season 2. I hate you funimation).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hey hey hey hey
Regina
choose to jump into lava in order to mana to live in the first part of the mid season finale. , hard to deniy the vibes between the 2

I was talking about this current scene! Don't get me wrong!

The lava scene was great back in the mid season!

Which villain are we talking about?

Gates, The Yui sisters, Gauron or Leonard
?

Because if it is
Leonard
, he doesn't really get his day in the sun until AFTER The Second Raid.

If it's
the Yui sisters
, I agree, they weren't all that, but they do serve as an excellent parallel to Sousuke, which is a major point of The Second Raid- critiquing Sousuke and his character archetype.

If it's
Gates
, I thought he was pretty funny.

If it's
Gauron
, though, you're dead wrong, 'cuz this is far and away his most sinister plot.

Such interesting changes from the novels. They had to stretch out that narrative as much as possible, so they added another villain and uh, changed the genders of the twins.

Also, I sensed you talking about FMP and was summoned to this thread.

-Deimos

More like

gSFc1RS.jpg

I suppose I should ask here but would Eureka 7 maybe be something that I'm looking for in terms of story/characters? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I'm assuming 50 episodes is enough to tell a more complete story. I love me some BONES (and remain eternally sad that the only Darker than Black blu-rays are of season 2. I hate you funimation).

E7 was great, definitely watch it. The movie was terrible from what I've heard but you don't need to watch it as it's a remake and has nothing to do with the anime. AO started off okay, but turned into a convoluted mess of plotholes in the end.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 2

Lots to talk about in this episode, haha.

First off, we're introduced to the character of Gates. A zany operative for the mysterious
Amalgam
, it's worth noting that in the greater scheme of things,
Gates is outranked by both Gauron and Leonard within the organization, since Gauron and Leonard are Elements and he is not.
However, the character of Gates only exists within The Second Raid. In all other interpretations of the plot, his character is played by the less oddball, less spastic, much more serious Mr. K, who
survives the battle in Hong Kong and is of equal rank with Gauron and Leonard, since "K" is Potassium. He still obviously works for Leonard, since even after Leonard's coup d'etat in which he murders all the other Elements, including their leader, Mr. AU, Mr. K remains a member of the organization in good standing.
Gates is still pretty oddball, but his combination of slapstick humor (as opposed to Gauron's dead baby humor) combines with the fact that Gates is even less stable than Gauron was, and he winds up making a lot of critical mistakes because of it.

Next up are the Yui twins. Providers of the world's most awkward lesbian fan service,
the Yui twins are a soulless pair of sisters who serve to show the kind of man that Sousuke actually could be. They are the criticism of the "badass teenage mercenary" archetype taken to its most logical extreme. Raised by Gauron, they have no real compunction about murder, their sense of physical affection, where Sousuke's is comical, is much more horrific, and their loyalty is only to themselves. Everything that is wrong with characters like Sousuke, Heero Yuy, Setsuna F. Seiei and all other such characters is embodied by the twins. They are the most blatant criticism of Sousuke's character during the show's run, but not the most powerful.
It's worth pointing out that in the Light Novel they were male, and relatively unimportant. Most bizarre, though, is that they are some weird ass French Maids in the manga.

We are introduced very briefly to Wraith in this episode. Wraith will be a recurring character in the series, and deliver one of the first verbal criticisms of Sousuke's character. I don't want to dwell on that too much since the last time I went through this show in AnimeGAF I spent a LONG time talking about how the entirety of The Second Raid serves as an in-depth examination of Sousuke's character, and how that comes together in the series' climax.

Another key thing we see in this episode is
Gauron's hair
, but it's very brief and sort of blink and you'll miss it. Also we have Tessa musing a lot about what to do with the guard of Kaname Chidori in this episode. Honestly, if Mythril had taken Chidori entirely into their custody, I think a lot of the bad stuff that happens later in the series might have been prevented, though, on the other hand,
Kalinin's betrayal would've facilitated her capture that way.
I think the reason Tessa chooses not to bring Kaname into their custody (assuming Tessa has the power to do that) is because she wants Kaname to have the sort of normal life she never can.
Tessa's parents having been murdered by Amalgam in an attempt to get her and Leonard. Tessa's mother having hated her when she was small because Tessa knew mommy was having an affair. Tessa's having joined Mythril and designed the TDD-1 as an attempt to connect with her father (who was a close friend of Mr. Mardukas and fellow submariner) and exact her revenge upon the world that had taken her father from her. Tessa's invention of ECS having killed a lot of people, etc etc etc. The point is, for a teenager, Tessa is almost as messed up as Sousuke.

Last of all, though, is that in this episode Kaname bitterly remarks to Sousuke, "I wish you'd stop saying that!" after he comments
"It's not a problem."
This is mostly important because one of the biggest moments in the series is when she cries
"I wish you were here to tell me "It's not a problem!""

I could go on but the point is I fucking love this series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fanservice was mostly just disappointing. I don't want to say I've "grown out of it" but my tolerance of stuff like that has lowered greatly. I feel like it's pandering to the lowest common denominator especially for something that's as good as Yamato.

Part of the reason the scene felt so out of place is because (I was marathoning it so the details are a bit blurred) Yamamoto hadn't really done much for a long while up to that point. It kind of relates to my disappointment about how there's a massive cast of characters but 80% of the development goes to Kodai/Yuki/Okito. Though I acknowledge my desires are unrealistic in what is allowed in a 26-episode, 22-minute long show. This is a really weird comparison, and obviously Yamato is much better, but it reminds of the problem I had with Xam'd. The story ends up being too much for those constraints and feels unsatisfying in the end.

Kodai/Yuki are the main characters though, so it kind of makes sense that the story is built around them.
Honestly, I'm surprised they took the time to blow out the scope of the universe by giving so much time to the Gamillas and the other aliens. Perhaps to the detriment of the other humans, including those who were part of the
coup
, but there it is.

I just remember the rage cosmicbiizzard felt when he watched this show last year. lol

Of course I would say Aria is the best multi-season anime with a great cast, but that's just me.

survivor

Banned
Evangelion 16

Wow, this episode. Didn't fully comprehend what happened with Shinji while being trapped, but this is easily the best episode so far.

rpmurphy

RIP

Its surprising to me that he's still active. He's best known as the dad from Sazae-san (ongoing), the doctor from Yamato and alot of other super iconic characters.
RIP. I still can't get used to the new[-ish] voice for Wakame. The show's one of those where the nostalgia bond is too strong.

CorvoSol

Such interesting changes from the novels. They had to stretch out that narrative as much as possible, so they added another villain and uh, changed the genders of the twins.

Also, I sensed you talking about FMP and was summoned to this thread.

DUDE. The last issue of Sigma got translated. I'm marathoning it so I can feel the whole of all the feels when I finish the series.

The twins change so much depending on the medium. The manga versions are far and away the worst.

I look at Yamato as a much more time constrained Battlestar Galactica. It didn't have the time to expand on this huge cast of characters and it decidedly tried to focus on the main characters without giving much to the side ones. BSG had more than enough time to go out of its way to give us many glimpses at what the crew was doing as so much of the plot revolved around them.

inb4bsgbashing

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I look at Yamato as a much more time constrained Battlestar Galactica. It didn't have the time to expand on this huge cast of characters and it decidedly tried to focus on the main characters without giving much to the side ones. BSG had more than enough time to go out of its way to give us many glimpses at what the crew was doing as so much of the plot revolved around them.

inb4bsgbashing

WHO ARE THE FINAL FIVE

The Pilot's Love Song 4

Well, ANN had already spoiled me on the twist, so that didn't do much for me, though I'm surprised they revealed that card this early. I don't really mind this twist though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom