• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys let's just not rationalize the overly cheesy shyamalamadingdong plot twist and just take it for what it is: an attempt to be different at what was going to be a fairly boring story.

In the next episode of Pilot's Love Boat we'll find out
Kal El is an alien from another planet and the last of his race after his parents died

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Much yuri. :p

Haha!

What is this yuri goodness? Ive heard of it before.

4 minute episodes of awesome!
=============================

GoGo 575 - 02&03

VPluRiz.png
L7CCbYe.png

NIGHT REDEEMED.

Guys let's just not rationalize the overly cheesy shyamalamadingdong plot twist and just take it for what it is: an attempt to be different at what was going to be a fairly boring story.

In the next episode we'll find out
Kal El is an alien from another planet and the last of his race after his parents died

It's not really that far out of left field.
Nina Viento's importance has been stressed the entire show. The whole thing is a pretty standard love story cliche.

OceanBlue

In the next episode we'll find out

Eh, I really didn't think it was a big deal. When it was revealed, I was like, "Oh wow," but my reaction wasn't nearly as strong as yours or firehawk's. More importantly, I don't even think the concept is unique. You see the same idea of
someone getting along with his enemy because they don't know each other's identity
in a lot of different stories. It's even a common thing in shounen anime.

Maybe should've rephrased my statement: didn't say it was original, just an attempt to break away at what was going to be a fairly boring show with potential. Now it's a fairly boring show (so far please surprise me) with a twist I absolutely hated so much it clouded my judgement of the show. We'll see how it goes from here. But I expect a lot of emotions and tears.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 4

Goddamn the fights in this show are so good. It may not be Build Fighters' level, but damn, the fights are so goooooooood. What I wouldn't give to have the fights in Sigma animated in glorious 2D Mecha action like this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, I really didn't think it was a big deal. When it was revealed, I was like, "Oh wow," but my reaction wasn't nearly as strong as yours or firehawk's. More importantly, I don't even think the concept is unique. You see the same idea of
someone getting along with his enemy because they don't know each other's identity
in a lot of different stories. It's even a common thing in shounen anime.
I think it was that they tried to make it a twist in the most absurd way possible. The type of VVV-esque twist that is impossible to predict because there are no clues whatsoever.

Of course, I'm sure this is where some super fan posts a dozen screenshots full of clues. lol

Maybe should've rephrased my statement: didn't say it was original, just an attempt to break away at what was going to be a fairly boring show with potential. Now it's a fairly boring show (so far please surprise me) with a twist I absolutely hated so much it clouded my judgement of the show. We'll see how it goes from here. But I expect a lot of emotions and tears.
Honestly, after the heel turn in Last Exile, I was expecting something equally stupid. Yeah, they're only superficially similar, but I wasn't wrong. :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nobunaga the Fool 4

Mostly a setup episode for future events. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but still entertaining.
Wedding ceremony
at the end was enjoyably dumb.

Seitokai Yakuindomo* 4
There were a couple decent gags in here, but when it misses, it misses hard.

D-Frag! 4
Now here's a much funnier show, consistent humor that keeps me entertained throughout. That post ED sequence with Ataru.... This show is the surprise of the season for me.

Jex

I don't think I'm going to spoiler tag, because I dunno. lol

As for Yamamoto and her place in the "love triangle", I will just say that if they were never interested in rebooting the canon pairings (unlike Star Trek, which mashed Uhura and Spock together just to fuck with people) then abandoning that whole triangle entirely was the right move. The homosocial relationship between Melda and Yamamoto - parfait moment included - was a nice original touch that actually showed how they could evolve the show beyond its original premise. It also probably saved the Yamamoto character from being purely the boring shounen-esque revenge-driven character that she was when she was first introduced.

Oi, leave your Kill la Kill bashing out of this thread!

Kazzy

All jokes aside the
coup
episode of Yamato really did make me think BSG must've been a big inspiration. Probably not, but I'd like to think it is.

It's not really the cleverest thing to evoke/draw comparisons, if you're not confident in your ability to better it. The mutiny was an interesting thread, but for it to be resolved so quickly - well, it just felt utterly throwaway. It's especially egregious when you consider the ramifications it had upon certain characters.

It's easy to sit back and be snarky and dismissive about BSG (as you all seem want to do), but it at least dedicated time to the majority of its narrative arcs. This was one of the few instances were I felt Yamato made itself look constrained, when it almost always succeeds on its brevity.

OceanBlue

I think it was that they tried to make it a twist in the most absurd way possible. The type of VVV-esque twist that is impossible to predict because there are no clues whatsoever.

Of course, I'm sure this is where some super fan posts a dozen screenshots full of clues. lol

Lol nah, I agree. There isn't really any significant buildup to it. The show seems to like throwing out important backstory about the characters as ending hooks (I even said in my episode impression that the way they do these twists is really awkward), but I don't think they'll continuously throw random twists at us every other episode. I feel like, once the main conflict and the character relationships are established, we might get a few more twists regarding the thing beyond the ocean or whatever the main conflict ends up being, but the show won't continuously change things up like what Samurai Flamenco is doing.

Well, I could be wrong. I guess I'm not particularly bothered by the twist like Admiral Woofington so I don't mind going along with this twist. I can understand being really bothered by it if you aren't a fan of the development though lol.

To be fair, Kodai is basically that character as well when the series starts.

(Also, is she still going over her daddy issues in that show?!)

That would require actual character development.
Lol nah, I agree. There isn't really any significant buildup to it. The show seems to like throwing out important backstory about the characters as ending hooks (I even said in my episode impression that the way they do these twists is really awkward), but I don't think they'll continuously throw random twists at us every other episode. I feel like, once the main conflict and the character relationships are established, we might get a few more twists regarding the thing beyond the ocean or whatever the main conflict ends up being, but the show won't continuously change things up like what Samurai Flamenco is doing.

Well, I could be wrong. I guess I'm not particularly bothered by the twist like Admiral Woofington so I don't mind going along with this twist. I can understand being really bothered by it if you aren't a fan of the development though lol.
I pretty much feel the same way. It was hardly well executed, but the twist itself doesn't bother me and so I'm willing to go along and see how it turns out. It could easily go wrong with awful drama, but we'll see. I can tolerate silly drama in love stories better than some others.

Jex

It's not really the cleverest thing to evoke/draw comparisons, if you're not confident in your ability to better it. The mutiny was an interesting thread, but for it to be resolved so quickly - well, it just felt utterly throwaway. It's especially egregious when you consider the ramifications it had upon certain characters.

It's easy to sit back and be snarky and dismissive about BSG (as you all seem want to do), but it at least dedicated time to the majority of its narrative arcs. This was one of the few instances were I felt Yamato made itself look constrained, when it almost always succeeds on its brevity.

Well, it did take up the majority of an entire episode, and it had been set up for several episodes in advance, so it wasn't really 'throwaway'. Given the limited number of minutes available in a 26 episode series I really wouldn't have wanted them to spend any more time on it than they did. It would be nice if this series could have been, say, another 12 episodes long to give various plot lines time to breathe but that's not the runtime they had to work with.

sonicmj1

Gundam Build Fighters-16

Bit of a shitty dad. Won't even stop by for a quick visit while you're in town?

He can't afford to blow his cover and put his family at risk.

Then the Gundam Mafia might roll up on them and challenge them to an unfair Gundam Fight that they couldn't refuse.

Kazzy

I really wouldn't have wanted them to spend any more time on it than they did.

I was fully accepting of it from a narrative standpoint, just that it felt too brief to really have a significant impact.
By all rights it should have though, as it implicated several key figures, and raised the notion that not everyone was necessarily striving towards the same goal.

I wouldn't have necessarily dedicated more time towards it either, but it makes you wonder, whether or not the time would have been better spent elsewhere -
perhaps the ending.

Dresden

ANN cast list is the only foreshadowing I needed for Pilot.

To be fair, Kodai is basically that character as well when the series starts.

(Also, is she still going over her daddy issues in that show?!)

They'll be introducing the daddy issues this week! Keep up with the news!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, it did take up the majority of an entire episode, and it had been set up for several episodes in advance, so it wasn't really 'throwaway'. Given the limited number of minutes available in a 26 episode series I really wouldn't have wanted them to spend any more time on it than they did. It would be nice if this series could have been, say, another 12 episodes long to give various plot lines time to breathe but that's not the runtime they had to work with.
Well, that and the fact that it does sort of pay off by the end of the show in a fairly unexpected manner.

Well she's not trying to find who killed her dad anymore.
That would require actual character development.
As long as she has that outfit, all is fine?

Well, Last Exile: Fam didn't have a twist a week either. But the twists they did have were just so infuriating and counter to the characters that it made no sense. The thing is, you sort of enter a contract with people. And certainly, shocking twists can be effective if you plan on using it to change the tone of the show. In its extreme, it's killing off a main character in the pilot of your show.

I'm hoping there's a reason why they wanted to hold that information up until now and reveal it in that particular manner at least, because if they did that just for the sake of having a cliffhanger, then fuuuuuck that.

I'm snarky about the last season being crap. I loved the show beforehand. But the first 2 seasons were its peak.

He can't afford to blow his cover and put his family at risk.

Then the Gundam Mafia might roll up on them and challenge them to an unfair Gundam Fight that they couldn't refuse.

"We told you to stay out of town seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

"I'm sorry but my family comes first"

"Now we're going to have to do something I've been itching to do for a loooooong time seeeeee-"

*takes out gun and cocks it*

"Louie, take my gun to get cleaned. And while you're at it, call Fat Paulie to bring me my gunpla. It about to get all children's toy game all up in dis he'a bitch!"

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 5

One of my favorite episodes in the entire run, the plot is largely centered on Sousuke, Mao, and Kurz apprehending Bruno in Sicily. I love this episode because it is an excellent episode for the team and for the most part is just a really fun, action-movie style romp. Sousuke, Kurz and Mao play really well off of one another, and I think it was this group dynamic that 00 failed to emulate that held it back (specifically I don't think Hallelujah or Tieria brought much to the table to make up for the weakness of the Setsuna-Lockon dynamic). Anyway, the three are out having fun whilst we are treated to a humorous display of Kaname berating Sousuke for never paying enough attention to her (in spite of the fact that he is making time for her while trying to evade the entire mafia and three Arm Slaves.)

nFgVpaJ.jpg

In case you didn't know, Melissa Mao is the best girl, and she proves it multiple times in this episode.

The mission wraps up neatly, and then Mao decides it is time for her to get real with Sousuke. The song that plays during that scene is hands down the best in the series and is, paradoxically, not included in the OST and no one has ever apparently bothered to figure out its name and upload it, so you gotta see the scene to know what I mean. But anyway, Mao takes Sousuke to task over his "I follow orders" attitude and his seeming lack of a plan for the future. This sets the tone for pretty much the entire rest of the show and actually the rest of the series as Sousuke's plans on what to do "when all this is over" are a driving part of his character. This is all part of what makes The Second Raid so great. The show has the guts to draw attention to Sousuke's every single flaw, explain them, and show you how he either must overcome them or become like the Yui Twins and other villains seen in the series.

But that's enough of that. The point is the show is great and if you like good mecha, you really ought to check out the Full Metal Panic! series, even if you, like many, despise the trend of adapting LNs into anime.

I really would have liked a more fleshed out story for monk pilot guy and long haired pilot guy, they seemed interesting (yea I know long haired pilot has his own moment). A little more background for the
Izumo rebels and the guy that busts them
would have been cool. Daisuke and Yamamoto also got pushed off to the side after about the half-way point. But considering the scope of the story being limited to a 26 episode anime, they did a serviceable job.

Maybe I just got tired of Kodai and Yuki, they were cool and all but I want to learn more about some of these other people lol

I really would have liked a more fleshed out story for monk pilot guy and long haired pilot guy, they seemed interesting (yea I know long haired pilot has his own moment). A little more background for the
Izumo rebels and the guy that busts them
would have been cool. Daisuke and Yamamoto also got pushed off to the side after about the half-way point. But considering the scope of the story being limited to a 26 episode anime, they did a serviceable job.

Maybe I just got tired of Kodai and Yuki, they were cool and all but I want to learn more about some of these other people lol

I was very interested in their love story so it didn't bother me. And if this show follows the trend of the old one then the next season
has Kodai being acting captain so his story might be basically done
. It might focus on somebody else outside of his story.

Ugh Coyote Ragtime Show. I wanted to like you since you're ufotable and the animation is pretty. But the magic of the first episode it just.. blech. Not even the sci fi setting can save it if none of the characters interest me, and the villains bore me.

Sorry I guess I'll have to drop the show. You couldn't hold my interest. This kind of ruined my illusion that everything ufotable made that I've seen is gold. To be fair it wasn't their fault, the setting and writing just didn't have that oomph. Maybe I'll start rewatching FMP tomorrow.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ugh Coyote Ragtime Show. I wanted to like you since you're ufotable and the animation is pretty. But the magic of the first episode it just.. blech. Not even the sci fi setting can save it if none of the characters interest me, and the villains bore me.

Sorry I guess I'll have to drop the show. You couldn't hold my interest. This kind of ruined my illusion that everything ufotable made that I've seen is gold. To be fair it wasn't their fault, the setting and writing just didn't have that oomph. Maybe I'll start rewatching FMP tomorrow.

Aww, I like CRS. I understand though.

duckroll

The unconfirmed leak says that Fate/Stay Night is a Fall 2014 show directed by Takahiro Miura, with character designs by Tomonori Sudo, Hisayuki Tabata, and Atsushi Ikariya.

Yugioh Zexel 2 ep 59-61

Wow! This arc is much darker than GX. A few supporting characters were killed left and right ;_; I counted like 6? Might be more since I havent watched the previous eps. RIP
Kaito

CorvoSol

Maybe I'll start rewatching FMP tomorrow.

DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 6

7gukXP7.gif

God damn every single time, man. Every single time.

Let's cover the non-essentials, first. So we'll start with I forgot to talk about last episode. First up, new characters. The first is Admiral Jerome Borda, who is Tessa's uncle (whether biologically or not I've never been sure, since he doesn't share a last name and we don't know what Tessa's mom's name was.) Admiral Borda is the head of Mythril's tactical divisions, so he's like, her boss. Then there's General Ahmet, who is head of Mythril's Intelligence division and the guy who most hates Sousuke in Mythril. He's a jerk, but not exactly evil. There's also Lord Mallory, a British nobleman who is the chief (if not sole) proprietor of Mythril.
Lord Mallory is in fact the 2nd or 3rd such Lord Mallory to be involved with Mythril, depending on which timeline you choose to follow. The first Lord Mallory of Mythril is, and this is big spoilers, so
the First Lord Mallory is the founder of Amalgam, which is basically FMP's version of The Patriots, as far as back stories go, but Amalgam went nuts so that Lord Mallory established Mythril in order to be a check on Amalgam. All successive Lord Mallories after that are then appointed to Observer Status on the board of Elements in Amalgam and chief proprietorship of Mythril. The current Lord Mallory's son is entirely unaware of this fact.

We're further introduced to the Falke. Like the ARX series, the Falke is a custom mobile suit based upon Mythril's M9 Gernsbach line. While it was originally intended to use the Lambda Driver, its speedy production and the untimely death of the ARX series' key engineer
and Tessa's former boyfriend and possible inventor of the entire Arm Slave branch of military weaponry
Bani Morauta prevented the Falke from being outfitted with one. A side bar to this is that we never see Bani, but AL does mention his name. The ARX-8 Laevatein is designed by
Mira Kudan, the red-head Sousuke rescues in the very first episode of FMP. Mira develops feelings for Sagara, but unlike Nami, she's smart enough to not get involved.
Anyway, the Falke is okay, but as a unit in SRW it always tends to suck since there's only two ways to look at it: an upgraded M9 (which only puts him above Mao's Command M9, since it lacks Kurz' Sniper Rifle) or an ARX-7 without a Lambda Driver. Most people look at it as the latter.

So the lesser things in this episode amount to this: The Yui sisters hijack a Codarl (codename: Venom, since Codarl isn't as easy a name to remember) and Gates gets pissed off at them. It's only really memorable because when Gates gets the call he is busy jacking off to stock video footage of kittens and squirrels. I wish I was making that up.

The BEST part of this episode, though, and the one for which it is most well remembered, is that this episode is The Haircut Episode.

Let me just throw out there that if you're looking for a romance in which the protagonists are physical or even good at expressing their affection for one another, you have boarded the wrong ship, my friend! This is the CLOSEST Kaname and Sousuke ever come on screen, in terms of physicality, and what is it that's happening? A haircut. Never, ever will I deny that KyoAni is great at hair animations, because the haircut (much of which is just Chidori playing with Sagara's hair) is done really, really well.

The premise of the scene is that Sousuke cannot adapt to Japanese Civilian life, and that his latest flub was his pulling a gun on a hair-dresser because the scissors made him panic. So Kaname invites Sousuke over to cut his hair, on the grounds that "I'm not a threat to you, am I?" Sousuke consents, and the scene begins. During it some exposition occurs and a bit of fan service if for some reason you're bored, but the climax is when Chidori, after being informed of the existence of a second soldier being assigned to her care, whispers in Sousuke's ear: "The truth is, I feel safest with you." From that point onward, Sagara becomes more relaxed, and ultimately he feels so safe with her, trusts her so completely that he actually falls asleep. This is a pretty big deal for Sousuke, since he never, ever disarms, least of all in front of Kaname. It's a spectacular way of demonstrating how deeply he trusts her and how strongly he feels for her without ever having either one of them say that they do, and without either one ever doing anything overtly sexual.

So the entire Sousuke and Kaname side of the episode has built to this. We've had moving music play, we've had a romantic sunset bridge scene, and we've had a deep moment of trust. One last time before parting ways for the night, Sousuke and Kaname almost, but do not, spit it out to each other.

And that is the last time they will see each other until the end of the series. One of the craziest, boldest moves about The Second Raid is that it is entirely about Sousuke and Kaname's relationship and they are almost never together during it.

The show, having built you up and left you high and heady on the emotions of the characters growing that much closer, then delivers the best gut punch I've ever seen
with the phrase "Henceforth any and all contact with Kaname Chidori is forbidden."
They just leave you with that for a solid minute, allowing you to soak it in, and then
in a fit of unbridled rage, Sousuke punches a hole in his computer, and the episode ends.

Undoubtedly one of the best episodes in the show's entire run.

duckroll

The unconfirmed leak says that Fate/Stay Night is a Fall 2014 show directed by Takahiro Miura, with character designs by Tomonori Sudo, Hisayuki Tabata, and Atsushi Ikariya.

To expand on this, apparently they've confirmed that they're telling a non-route specific story with this F/SN, and will be a new continuity not told in the original game. There are also reworked designs, including more modern casual wear for Shiro and Rin. Half the scripts are already completed and most of those are storyboarded. They started voice recording last Fall, and have already completed several episodes.

Dresden

To expand on this, apparently they've confirmed that they're telling a non-route specific story with this F/SN, and will be a new continuity not told in the original game. There are also reworked designs, including more modern casual wear for Shiro and Rin. Half the scripts are already completed and most of those are storyboarded. They started voice recording last Fall, and have already completed several episodes.

Feeling better about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom