• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious

The amusing part is many fansubers using official translations, so any delay affects them anyway.

They're only used because they're available in the first place. When you can get access to a (usually) decent enough script hours after the show airs, why wouldn't you make use of it? Note that for most shows that have a delayed simulcast, there's usually an original translation out before a CR/Funi rip.

Speed isn't that critical, anyway. Speed has nothing to do with why I prefer fansubs.

i don't even think that the 1-5 of strikers should be that high , 2,3,4 are actually not that great episodes and it only picks up after 5 , around ep 11.
That chart doesn't reflect that.
Yeah. As you say, that chart significantly overstates StrikerS's quality; it's an okay show, but a big disappointment compared to the previous two seasons: it has too many characters, too little Nanoha being awesome, etc.

First, episodes 1-8, 10-16, and 18-20 of Strikers are all worse than every single episode of the first season.

Next, while episodes 9, 17, and 21-14 are better than the rest of the season, they still are worse than anything from the last four or six episodes of S1.

Someone really should draw a more accurate chart...

Yeah. As you say, that chart significantly overstates StrikerS's quality; it's ano kay show, but a big disappointment compared to the previous two seasons: it has too many characters, too little Nanoha being awesome, etc.

First, episodes 1-8, 10-16, and 18-20 of Strikers are all worse than every single episode of the first season.

Next, while episodes 9, 17, and 21-14 are better than the rest of the season, they still are worse than anything from the last four or six episodes of S1.

Someone really should draw a more accurate chart...
The only other chart still gives StrikerS too much credit, but it looks nicer I suppose!
cAisMBi.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Considering the muted themes of the relationship
on a physical and emotional level
the thing I wanted the most was for the presentation and story beats to match that subdued tone.
Yeah and it was doing a pretty good job of it too until after the end. :(

Sometimes you just have to let it all out.
Indeed, but it's best to hold it all in until you get to the toilet as the alternatives far worse.

Quasar

They're only used because they're available in the first place. When you can get access to a (usually) decent enough script hours after the show airs, why wouldn't you make use of it? Note that for most shows that have a delayed simulcast, there's usually an original translation out before a CR/Funi rip.

Whilst true I am still amused given all the rock throwing about so called shitty translations of CR/Funimation.

Speed isn't that critical, anyway. Speed has nothing to do with why I prefer fansubs.

Certainly I acknowledge there would be reasons, reason beyond just not wanting to pay for a timely version, much of it surrounding access to a good internet connection at the time/place/device you want to watch on.

CorvoSol

They know us.

It's almost uncanny how many different AnimeGAF members were pandered to in this episode.

Kill La Kill 16

D8hQug8.gif

Everything after this was the most villainous SDBurton I've ever seen, but god damn this looked rad.

So, shockingly um, yeah I don't have a word that comes next but after that crazy parenting scene, I was pleased to see how the show continues to work as a prequel to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Essentially, the Life Fibers are a parasite which simultaneously enhances and feeds off of the Spiral Energy of a species. Note the crazy, squiggly way the threads were intertwining. So their arrival causes Mankind to become more and more fit for consumption as the ultimate in Spiral Races, but the Anti Spiral Life Form (who is notably quite naked) takes note that the Original Life Fiber has awakened, and attacks the Earth before it can push mankind too far and cause the Spiral Catastrophe. This is explained either as the Anti Spiral Life Form expecting that the Original Life Fiber will not harvest mankind, but continue to farm them, and spur their evolution further, or by the Anti Spiral Life Form simply being unwilling to take that risk. This attack upsets the balance of the entire world, and is witnessed by a young Lordgenome and his armadillo pet. Humanity, not one to take a little thing like First Impact sitting down, responds by setting up academies like Ohtori and Honnouji. Under the guidance of Ragyo Kiryuin, Honnouji Academy is established (though Satsuki is allowed to believe that this is an idea of her own.) Because the world is recovering from a global catastrophe, REVOCS brand clothing becomes a massively widespread commodity in a relatively short amount of time. From there Kill La Kill plays out and Lordgenome rises to become the Spiral King.

Magi The Kingdom of Magic - Episode 17

I'm finally caught up!

So is Alibaba on that boat to
fight in the war
, or is he on there just to go to the magician country to talk with the higher-ups with the army? Not sure what he or the army's doing since it was kinda just showing them on a boat heading for the country. It would be pretty cool if Alibaba
sees Aladdin during the war instead of just a regular meetup

The artstyle is a bit shoujo looking, but it's not. Just like with Gintama there might be a character that might be a bit attracted to another (like every once in a while cheek blush) but 4 episodes in it has been nothing but comedy mixed with action and some serious bits. The reason I specified Gintoki is because Yato is a former badass who now is a lazy bum taking odd-jobs and has two kids following him around.

Give it a watch, the recent episode's humor was pretty damn good. Plus like I said the OS is amazing so far. And Yato's voice actor is Zetsubou Sensei/Penguin-san.

I'll definitely give it a try then. I don't mind romance, I just don't like it in shounen-like anime's all that much.

Crocodile

Honest to god, I don't know if I approve of the direction KLK's narrative is heading in. There's a lot of tropes in here. A lot.

Someone called it earlier.
This is seemingly Evangelion 2.0(not the movies)

I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm assuming you mean cliches rather than tropes? Tropes are just an intrinsic part of writing anything not done in a vacuum (i.e. all writing) has. There's nothing intrinsically good or bad about a trope though expressing displeasure is common if the tropes used are ones an individual specially finds distasteful.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm assuming you mean cliches rather than tropes? Tropes are just an intrinsic part of writing anything not done in a vacuum (i.e. all writing) has. There's nothing intrinsically good or bad about a trope though expressing displeasure is common if the tropes used are ones an individual specially finds distasteful.

No, I meant tropes. I have to see how it plays out to see whether they turn into cliches.

I should get around to responding to some stuff I wanted to before the thread ends. :p

The only other chart still gives StrikerS too much credit, but it looks nicer I suppose!

Yeah, I don't quite understand the people who made those charts. Going by those you'd think that StrikerS's problem is that it was "only" as good as the first season, but that's not true at all! Strikers was a big disappointment compared to either of the first two seasons. Ranking it overall above S1 makes no sense.

Garden of Words

gardenofwords.jpg

Leave it to Shinkai to complete shit the bed in the last ten minutes with his sappy and overly dramatic climax. Don't get me wrong, this is by far his best and most visually striking work yet but the last 10 minutes really did sour what was otherwise a great movie.

It's a good thing Shinkai's still relatively young so he has a lot of time to perfect his craft. Maybe he too will learn to walk on his own two feet, free from the shackles of bad melodrama.
Yeah... beautiful visuals, but the story was lacking. I thought it was a little disappointing overall, as a result of that.

Was re-watching gosick and saw this:

Please become an anime in a few years. Please biased god. I'll bring offerings
No! The last third of the first season of Gosick was so, SO awful... I don't want any more of that junk. It seemed good for a while, mostly, but then threw it all away, unfortunately.

Kuromajo 46-47

My amazement at such a bizarre app was immediately overwhelmed by the sheer sense of dread that ep 47 probably paved the way for hundreds of kids to develop some sort of TF fetish in the future. Fucking deviantart. ._.
I'm glad that the series recovered from the horribly tonally dissonant, and plot-hole-riffic, episode 43-45 arc!

Mushishi-14

This is something straight out of Casshern. I'm really starting to get tired of the melancholic tone for so many of these stories. It's also starting to become somewhat predictable.
Yeah, that kind of show, like Mushishi, Miyu, etc, etc, they do get repetitive after a while; just about every single story ends with tragedy, and often in somewhat consistent ways. They're definitely the kind of thing best watched in small doses I think...

Sakura Trick 3

Wow this episode had way more making out than I expected. I hope things keep going that way.
Yeah, that would be good.
Also, I'm really surprised that the older sister isn't included in all the yuri. Makes me wonder what they're gonna do with her character.
I just hope she doesn't turn out to be a stupid "incestuous lesbian feelings" sister like Akari's sister in Yuru Yuri... it doesn't look like that so far though, thankfully. But we'll see. I thought her reaction shots in ep. 3 were funny, though... it worked well.

What's interesting is that a lot of that is just missing from the manga. The anime really is filling in a lot of jokes in order to make the episodes work, which is nice.
Heck, there isn't even an Okinawa side of the trip in the manga.
Well, if they didn't add content, there wouldn't be enough to cover! It's a short manga with only a few pages per chapter, after all. A straight adaptation would run out of content fast. But instead, they're doing a great job adding all kinds of great new stuff to this season. The series does have a few issues -- at times it's a little bit haremey, the author likes to make occasional incest jokes, and the jokes repeat constantly of course -- but apart from those things, SYD S2 is as great as ever. And it's mostly pretty great.

Abenobashi END

Gainax. 10/10.
Yeah, that show gets WEIRD in the last few episodes. At least they can say that it's different, though! Given how most of the series goes, who would ever have guessed how different the last couple of episodes would be.... but despite that, somehow, it worked. Great show.

I think war really changed this time
STAEOey.jpg
So what will come of this...

That's what happens when you make a comedy and spend more effort on the art than on the humor.
Yet another one of the most wrong statements about a comedy ever! Nichijou is the best, funniest comedy anime ever made. It's the closest thing to classic cartoon comedy I've seen in anime (note: my favorite cartoon series ever is Looney Tunes), and the results are fantastic. It's just tragic that it didn't do better... sure otaku humor comedies can be funny too, but not in the same way.

I do my part by purchasing a ton of music. An eclectic assortment of shows, and some of it is toku, but Japan has seen plenty of my money over the years.

I personally own 50+ anime OSTs from either Right Stuf or CDJapan, 40+ anime series
and I guess the first 4 Pokemon movies on VHS
, a dozen plus manga and LN series (would actually have to count each individual book), and two artbooks. Would post what I own if anyone is interested, but have no camera for pics of my shelf. :'(

And some people have no legal choice because of where they live. Funimation I'm looking at you. I'd happily pay you money if you'd let me.

That's a gray-zone that I would not know how to go discussing as a US-native viewer.

As Discotek tends to do, they've just thrown out another couple of random announcements on their Facebook, including a license rescue of DearS set for release in May.

DearS and Tenjho Tenge coming both on May 27th! Now if only someone would pick up Naoki Urasawa's: Monster for R1 release...

The kancolle effect .

Watch out it's strong , very strong ..
people don't believe me when i tell them about the kancolle effect , but most people don't realise about it untill it's too late.

I'm immune. I started bracing for impact when I saw that first Shimakaze figure from GSC. Those things are going to be a money sink for a lot of people, though. Lives will be ruined.

JCG

Kill la Kill: 16

Well, that was fun. At this point I'd say this is one of those cases where I really like how the show is pulling this off, regardless of not particularly caring about where it's actually heading.

The whole thing just has enough excitement and energy to carry it through. Sometimes that's all you really need. Oh, the new OP's pretty cool too.

Space Dandy: 4

Funniest episode yet, although I realize that's subjective as heck. I'm not even a zombie fan and still chuckled a fair amount. The English dub's also working pretty nicely.

Magic Knight Rayearth S2: End

Standard fantasy plot except with more robots. In fact, this was Toshihiro Hirano combining CLAMP's original manga with his own work on Iczer. Oddly enough, I think it wasn't a bad mix.

X-men Anime: End

I didn't watch this when it was new, and...turns out I didn't miss anything. The best thing I can say is that the action wasn't bad. Oh well, I used to read worse comics back in the day.

Otome was still pretty entertaining in its trainwreckyness though. It was like Code Geass before Code Geass.

I'd say the comparison isn't accurate. CG had more good parts and also benefits from knowingly reveling in its craziness (in fact, it even has a reference to Otome/Hime with Sayoko in R2).

In my opinion Otome was way more straightforward even compared to Hime, and just kind of rushes a little at the end, albeit in an ultimately predictable manner.

As Discotek tends to do, they've just thrown out another couple of random announcements on their Facebook, including a license rescue of DearS set for release in May.

DearS, really? Didn't Chobits do more with the underlying concept after all? If it's about the fanservice, I imagine there are always better options available.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
X-men Anime: End

I didn't watch this when it was new, and...turns out I wasn't anything. Surprise. The best thing I can say is that the action wasn't bad. Oh well, I used to read worse comics back in the day.

Its a shame all these comic book anime series sucked hard. X-Men was sadly the best of the 4. Well the dog in Blade was a total badass, made that terrible show worth it.

cajunator

Banned
Jexhius impression posts with images -> duckroll post with tons of beautiful backgrounds -> critical mass of positive impressions causing more people to pick it up creating more positive impressions.

A picture is really worth a thousand words when it comes to getting people to pick up new anime.

-----------------------------

In the confusion of Corvo's turmoil about being bored by Hyouka (I'm sorry he's not picking up on Hotaro's development, which is about to get a lot more explicit and interesting), I thought cajun would be more interested in pointing out that episode 9 is the first appearance of Misaki Sawakiguchi.

There's no denying that the school festival is the best arc of the show, and it has worthwhile development for every member of the club, but there's already a lot more in motion than it would appear just from looking at the 'plot' of what has happened so far.

I dont think he would care about misaki much. Hopefully Im wrong though. She has quirks. I would buy her bubble tea and play with her tangled hair.

Mature

My AOTY top 10 8

Blue Exorcist Movie

blueexorcistmovie.jpg

I now see why this gets so much (well deserved) praise with all the insanely gorgeous backgrounds, fantastic layouts & animation, and a damn good story that's able to make this stand on its own without any prior knowledge of the series. My only real complaint is that I wasn't really feeling the ending all that much but everything else more than made up for it.

I still think Aura is a better movie overall but this is also well worth everyones time.
I know what you mean with the ending. Not that I hated the ending, but I think they pulled a punch or two. I love the shot you posted, especially in motion.

I think one of my bigger complaints with the movie (since I didn't post impressions) was how often the screen was cluttered with 3D objects falling. Weird demony things, shining confetti, snow... I want to see the art behind them.

The Eccentric Family 1-9

Who's this Benten bitch, she needs to die.
She can cook me up in a hot pot.

jman2050

Kill la Kill 16

So Life Fibers are
Lavos?
Yeah sure I can roll with that.

That bath scene was um... something.

Even with all these new revelations and the
standoff
at the end, Mako continues to assert herself as the greatest reason to watch the show and oh my that's quite a swell ED if I might say so myself. Pretty sure the part with the stars is a UY reference unless I missed something else...

JCG

Its a shame all these comic book anime series sucked hard. X-Men was sadly the best of the 4. Well the dog in Blade was a total badass, made that terrible show worth it.

That's fair enough. X-men was sort of watchable at least, just entirely unremarkable and a bit stupid. But at this point I do have to wonder why don't they just hire Madhouse or another studio to faithfully adapt a small arc from the comics without trying to mess around with stuff so much.

Almost like what DC/WB does with its own animated films, most of which are simple but effective adaptations that tend to hit more often than they miss.

CorvoSol

Kill la Kill 16

So Life Fibers are
Lavos?
Yeah sure I can roll with that.

That bath scene was um... something.

Even with all these new revelations and the
standoff
at the end, Mako continues to assert herself as the greatest reason to watch the show and oh my that's quite a swell ED if I might say so myself. Pretty sure the part with the starts is a UY reference unless I missed something else...

Yeah I was not ready for that. Holy crap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 16

Mmmm, delicious drama. Though, it does at times feel like the dramatic moments in this show all feel rather same-y.
It's always Banri and Koko in a room alone, Koko is crying, Banri has to talk her down, etc

Also, they made Koko's dad likable REAL quick, didn't they?
"Banri, make this for me!"
:loooool

As always, that chart significantly under-rates season 1. There aren't many episodes in StrikerS which are as good as even the worst episodes in S1...

Yeah, overrating Season 3 really undermines that chart. It's easily fixed, however. Just put all of StrikerS at the complete bottom, falling off the chart for pretty much the whole run.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 16

The true plot is no unveiled and it turns out it is Chrono Trigger. The Original Life FIber is Lavos, Ragyo is Queen Zeal, Satsuki is Magus and Nui is Dalton. This is all making sense, this is all making way too much sense. Also I now want Kill la Kill x Chrono Trigger fanart NOW!

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 4
Dekomori is the best. Actually pretty good episode too but I don't like that there was no progress at the end though

Kill la Kill 16

Best info dump ever. Life Fibers confirmed to be Spiral energy!

You know, the scope has kind of been raised ridiculously in this single episode. With the revelation of
a greater threat than even Ragyou
, At this point, Satsuki and the elite four shouldn't even be a factor. I can't imagine everything will be concluded in just 8 episodes unless they adopt the pacing of Gurren Lagann's final 4-5 episodes, which would be fuckin amazing and probably well beyond what Trigger is capable of with their current resources.

Either way, I'm psyched to see where things go from here. The promise of something absolutely amazing is here, but how they pull it off will be important. I have faith that these guys can turn the final third of the show into something super special.

Dresden

kill la kill - 16

That was fun. I've enjoyed the last three episodes more or less, and I'm okay with how it's all turned out.

I like the reveal in that it finally brings some focus to the narrative and sets up a clear ending arc for the series. It does trivialize the first half of the show, and it doesn't do anything to characterize Ryuko, but at this point both of those things were beyond fixing anyways.

- satsuki's face loses that extraordinarily sharp jawline whenever she's feeling vulnerable, and the way it highlights her relationship with Ragu is pretty nice (it's also moe)

- the bath scene was gross

- oh hey turns out that all the 'losses' suffered by nudist beach didn't really matter

- satsooki was so shook after the end of ep15

- sad that takarada basically got scrapped out of the story, since the funding for beach comes instead from
dr. matoi
; in one episode he was more interesting than three of the student council, and I miss how grossly exuberant he was

- satsuki sounds like she's about to set up a surprise party for her mother

- why is mako so best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom